HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Sports Radio in Toronto

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2011, 11:14 AM
  #1
Cmillz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,382
vCash: 500
Sports Radio in Toronto

I have listened to the Fan 590 for years. The on air talent that has been put in place is baffling to me. The majority of the on-air talent has zero hockey knowledge, and when they talk about hockey they just regurgitate the same cynical boring crap day after day. They don't actually talk about hockey, they are utterly useless.

Greg Brady at least has a brain and understands sports. However, some may not like his attitude...personally I don't care if he KNOWS sports.
Roger Lajoie is a Montreal Fan who is even more cynical then most Leafs fans...he drives me mental and the fat ******* should move back to Montreal.
Jeff Blair knows baseball...does anyone actually think that baseball draws more fan attention then hockey? Again, a one dimensional on air persona with the personality of horse dung.
Andrew Krystal knows nothing about sports...go back to LA.
Bob McCowan is for the Bay Streeters...I dislike his opinions but at least he explores areas of sports that no one else does. But he really doesn't talk about sports, he talks about the business of sports. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

So...I think the folks at TSN now see a real opportunity here to launch a sports radio station. My prediction is they will crush the Fan 590, and all TSN will have to do is put hockey talent on the air 24/7.

Thoughts?

Cmillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:16 AM
  #2
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.
 
Epictetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,444
vCash: 4200
So its a sports radio, but you want hockey talk 24/7?

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:21 AM
  #3
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,812
vCash: 500
I like the bobcat. I don't agree with everything he says but he's a good personality and usually good at interviewing. In all honesty, these guys are in the business of entertainment and if they feel these guys are more entertaining then others they'll keep them. That's the way the media has been for a long time, it's no longer journalism, it's just entertainment and advertising.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:27 AM
  #4
02m3smg
Registered User
 
02m3smg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 809
vCash: 500
Bobcat is GREAT!

Can't stand Krystal. He's like that annoying guy that was on City TV that Dougie Gilmour told off.

02m3smg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:28 AM
  #5
Cmillz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
So its a sports radio, but you want hockey talk 24/7?
My point being is that hockey would fill programming on a radio station 24/7 easily. I don't understand how Fan590 seems to really keep away from hockey...makes no sense. They have an American college football guy, a Montreal Habs fan, a Halifax music DJ and a low rate baseball beat writer. Only hockey is from 12-1 with MacClean.

I can appreciate the Bobcat, because I know he's not a moron. But he's their paycheque, they make no bucks without him. So I get it...he really doesn't talk about sports though.

Cmillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:31 AM
  #6
Dio666
Registered User
 
Dio666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Macedonia
Posts: 849
vCash: 500
I'm with the O.P. for the most part.

Greg Brady - I can listen to
Roger Lajoie - I can listen to
Jeff Blair - Total bozo and pure Mtl fan. The worst personality on the Fan IMO. Today he was saying that the Raptors have more direction than the Leafs. They currently have a 9 game losing streak! Then he goes on making up a reason for it by saying they are 3rd youngest in the NBA. Aren't the Leafs one of (if not) the youngest in the NHL?
Andrew Krystal - Is entertaining, but not for sports radio.
Bob McCowan - For me, he's just there. I don't really care for him either way.

Dio666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:33 AM
  #7
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.
 
Epictetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,444
vCash: 4200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmillz View Post
My point being is that hockey would fill programming on a radio station 24/7 easily. I don't understand how Fan590 seems to really keep away from hockey...makes no sense. They have an American college football guy, a Montreal Habs fan, a Halifax music DJ and a low rate baseball beat writer. Only hockey is from 12-1 with MacClean.
I don't listen to the fan 590, so I can't really argue your points, and I wasn't trying to anyway. Just saying how a good sports radio should have coverage of everything. For example, the Jays are making moves in the off-season -- I'd love to hear about that, as opposed to hockey all the time where its an on going season and radio coverage of a game the night before is kind of pointless. Pre game talk = much more effective. Sucks there isn't much hockey though.

Oh yeah, I also just don't think TSN would be hockey 24/7 but it would dominant the radio if they did get into the business. Which is what I think you meant.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:34 AM
  #8
The Messenger
Registered User
 
The Messenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
I like the bobcat. I don't agree with everything he says but he's a good personality and usually good at interviewing. In all honesty, these guys are in the business of entertainment and if they feel these guys are more entertaining then others they'll keep them. That's the way the media has been for a long time, it's no longer journalism, it's just entertainment and advertising.
He is two-faced, i.e. he rips Bettman all the time but when Bettman goes on his show he sucks up big-time. He does this time and time again. He is completely over-rated.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:45 AM
  #9
LannysStach
Thou shall
 
LannysStach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NYC & Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,476
vCash: 500
I agree with the OP.

these guys are negative, old, out of touch, and are gearing their show to the lowest IQ listeners

I call it bich radio.

LannysStach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:47 AM
  #10
Darkhorse1280
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: York Region
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02m3smg View Post
Bobcat is GREAT!

Can't stand Krystal. He's like that annoying guy that was on City TV that Dougie Gilmour told off.
Gallagher?

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:51 AM
  #11
ACC1224
Burke was right.
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 27,914
vCash: 500
I like music, can honestly say I have never heard The Fan(not even sure how to get AM on the radio).

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:51 AM
  #12
Emroc
Registered User
 
Emroc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
He is two-faced, i.e. he rips Bettman all the time but when Bettman goes on his show he sucks up big-time. He does this time and time again. He is completely over-rated.
He does this particularly well with Burke as well, I find. Craps on the Leafs and Burke until he gets him on the air, then he just makes small talk.

As much as I hate to say it, I'd rather listen to 640 during the drive home than McCown. I strongly dislike Bill Watters, but they talk mostly about hockey and have the TSN guys on almost every day (Mackenzie, Dreger, Ferraro, McGuire), which I do appreciate.

Emroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:54 AM
  #13
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmillz View Post
I have listened to the Fan 590 for years. The on air talent that has been put in place is baffling to me. The majority of the on-air talent has zero hockey knowledge, and when they talk about hockey they just regurgitate the same cynical boring crap day after day. They don't actually talk about hockey, they are utterly useless.

Thoughts?
They're a Toronto based radio station located in a City with a poor NHL team so other then talking about the disappointment what is there to discuss?.

I doubt Leaf Fans are all too interested to tune in to hear how well the Pittsburgh Pens are doing or how Jeff Skinner is leading all rookies in scoring or Calgary has won 5 of 6 games to get back in the playoff race.. Even if that is hockey talk but not Leaf talk.

IF the Leafs were successful and winning, then the City and the airwaves would be a buzz and the local radio stations would be on board taking advantage of that opportunity and broadcasting accordingly. However they need to fill time 24/7 and so they currently deploy a mixture of on air personalities that can cover all sports and topics and cater to a larger audience. IMO

"Build it and they will come".

Even Am640 canceled "Leafs Lunch" because the Leafs are out to lunch.

__________________
Signature: There is no greater demonstration of Fan patience then to suggest to "Play the Kids " and be willing to accept the consequences of those actions..
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:55 AM
  #14
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG
 
SeenSchenn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,679
vCash: 500
I don't like the FAN590 talking about hockey. They just seem clueless. Baseball they're great for, though.

AM640 is miles ahead IMO.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:55 AM
  #15
The Messenger
Registered User
 
The Messenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
I like music, can honestly say I have never heard The Fan(not even sure how to get AM on the radio).
Come on ACC, you grew up with CHUM A.M., listening to Al Boliska (the Morning Mayor).

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:59 AM
  #16
pdmuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 161
vCash: 500
The problem I have with the fan590 is that they usually have a solo host and as a result the host (whoever it may be) ends up voicing the same opinion over and over again, and there are often these pregnant pauses where he thinks about the next thing he is going to say. Blair and Krystal are noticeably bad in terms of this.

Sportsnet needs to loosen up the purse strings and put two guys on as co-hosts. In Boston, which is a great sports-talk-radio market supporting two competitive stations, every show is hosted by two, sometimes three, guys and the result is much more informative and entertaining.

pdmuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:04 PM
  #17
Cmillz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
They're a Toronto based radio station located in a City with a poor NHL team so other then talking about the disappointment what is there to discuss?.

I doubt Leaf Fans are all too interested to tune in to hear how well the Pittsburgh Pens are doing or how Jeff Skinner is leading all rookies in scoring or Calgary has won 5 of 6 games to get back in the playoff race.. Even if that is hockey talk but not Leaf talk.

IF the Leafs were successful and winning, then the City and the airwaves would be a buzz and the local radio stations would be on board taking advantage of that opportunity and broadcasting accordingly. However they need to fill time 24/7 and so they currently deploy a mixture of on air personalities that can cover all sports and topics and cater to a larger audience. IMO

"Build it and they will come".



Even Am640 canceled "Leafs Lunch" because the Leafs are out to lunch.
Given the talent the public was presented with, I could understand not wanting to listen to morons try to talk about hockey. BUT if Toronto has the best hockey fans on the planet, and this is center of the hockey world, yes I'd want to hear more about Pittsburgh, more about how other teams are more competitive with half the payroll, why our PK and PP is so bad and how that relates to coaching. But when you hear this discussion coming from idiots, it never really becomes compelling. If they had the right on air talent, it would draw lots of hockey folks.

For example....I hate, HATE CFL football. I think it's a ******** game so on and so forth. But when I watch and listen to Chris Shulz talk about football he brings it to another level and I have no choice but to listen. See what I mean?

Cmillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:08 PM
  #18
Delayed Offside
Registered User
 
Delayed Offside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Boston Area
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,647
vCash: 500
Since I have been back in the Toronto area for the last month, I have been listening to the Fan and I must say, while I love the Jays talk, the hockey talk has been pretty rough. Some of the segments have been fun to listen but I guess I don't like host say how much they hate the team. I have zero problem with hosts ripping on a team but to say they hate them and have no interest is an insult to the fans of the station and the city.

I live in Boston and while the Bruins really do take a backseat to Red Sox, Pats, Celtics (for the most part in that order), the on air guys like the team and are still willing to ask tough questions and criticize the play.

Delayed Offside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:10 PM
  #19
Cmillz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delayed Offside View Post
Since I have been back in the Toronto area for the last month, I have been listening to the Fan and I must say, while I love the Jays talk, the hockey talk has been pretty rough. Some of the segments have been fun to listen but I guess I don't like host say how much they hate the team. I have zero problem with hosts ripping on a team but to say they hate them and have no interest is an insult to the fans of the station and the city.

I live in Boston and while the Bruins really do take a backseat to Red Sox, Pats, Celtics (for the most part in that order), the on air guys like the team and are still willing to ask tough questions and criticize the play.
Ya I lived in Boston for 9 years, WEEI would never carry on ripping a team like that.

Cmillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:11 PM
  #20
barilko05
Registered User
 
barilko05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 180
vCash: 500
Although The Fan isn't perfect (Blair IS bad, and boring to boot), anyone who complains about the state of sports radio in TO should be subjected to listening to The Ticket in Detroit. HORRIBLE! Ranting, uninformed, egotistical hosts who provide no insight into anything at all, interspersed with endless fan phone calls that offer nothing but the chance for the hosts to show how much smarter they are than you, the listener. No content, no entertainment value, no nothing. Its AWFUL. You may not like The Bobcat (I do) but you have to respect the fact he is, for the most part, intelligent and entertaining. Opinionated? Sure, but compelling nonetheless.

barilko05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:12 PM
  #21
Delayed Offside
Registered User
 
Delayed Offside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Boston Area
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmillz View Post
Ya I lived in Boston for 9 years, WEEI would never carry on ripping a team like that.
It's true they don't. They will rip on fans for terrible suggestions/questions but they never openly rip on the team.

But I like it when they have the management team on and they ask some real tough questions.

Delayed Offside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:15 PM
  #22
Cmillz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barilko05 View Post
Although The Fan isn't perfect (Blair IS bad, and boring to boot), anyone who complains about the state of sports radio in TO should be subjected to listening to The Ticket in Detroit. HORRIBLE! Ranting, uninformed, egotistical hosts who provide no insight into anything at all, interspersed with endless fan phone calls that offer nothing but the chance for the hosts to show how much smarter they are than you, the listener. No content, no entertainment value, no nothing. Its AWFUL. You may not like The Bobcat (I do) but you have to respect the fact he is, for the most part, intelligent and entertaining. Opinionated? Sure, but compelling nonetheless.
I said exactly that. Isn't that where Greg Brady came from? Detroit radio?

Cmillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:15 PM
  #23
robdicks
Registered User
 
robdicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Welland ON
Posts: 5,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmillz View Post
Given the talent the public was presented with, I could understand not wanting to listen to morons try to talk about hockey. BUT if Toronto has the best hockey fans on the planet, and this is center of the hockey world, yes I'd want to hear more about Pittsburgh, more about how other teams are more competitive with half the payroll, why our PK and PP is so bad and how that relates to coaching. But when you hear this discussion coming from idiots, it never really becomes compelling. If they had the right on air talent, it would draw lots of hockey folks.

For example....I hate, HATE CFL football. I think it's a ******** game so on and so forth. But when I watch and listen to Chris Shulz talk about football he brings it to another level and I have no choice but to listen. See what I mean?
They don't have the best hockey fans in the world. They have the most loyal maybe, but its a Leafs town not a hockey town. Take a look at how the Majors, Marlies, Battalion, Generals, and the rest do. If this was truly a hockey town then those would be propped up.

One only needs to look at Minnesota and realize that they sell out the Excel energy centre for high school state championship games. THATS a hockey town. We aren't. If the Leafs are irrelevant why talk hockey? Its funny because sports fans say the Fan is too hockey oriented while hockey fans think its abandoned hockey. Go figure.

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:21 PM
  #24
Darcy Tucker
Registered User
 
Darcy Tucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,373
vCash: 500
minnesota a better hockey town than toronto ??



Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:21 PM
  #25
Cmillz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
They don't have the best hockey fans in the world. They have the most loyal maybe, but its a Leafs town not a hockey town. Take a look at how the Majors, Marlies, Battalion, Generals, and the rest do. If this was truly a hockey town then those would be propped up.

One only needs to look at Minnesota and realize that they sell out the Excel energy centre for high school state championship games. THATS a hockey town. We aren't. If the Leafs are irrelevant why talk hockey? Its funny because sports fans say the Fan is too hockey oriented while hockey fans think its abandoned hockey. Go figure.
I'd agree with that for the most part. The US loves college/high school sports, it's part of their culture. But you cannot discount the fact that in Toronto and it's surrounding areas more hockey is played by youth then anywhere else.

I don't think the Leafs are irrelevant, the sheer numbers and evidence of franchise' success indicate that they are highly relevant regardless of their record. I'd say that if you found media talent that were able to educate people on hockey, not just players stats and trade value, you'd see a trickle down effect to the lower levels of hockey. My son is 2, but he and I will be doing more OHL and AHL games then NHL.

Cmillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.