HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Craig Anderson - What to do?

Old
01-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
He can't control what should be easy rebounds and once he goes down, he's not getting back up. He barely gets from one side of the net to the other. How is that the D's fault?

The defense and forwards aren't really helping us prevent goals but neither is Anderson.

As Dater has mentioned a couple times in his blogs/articles, the defense has no faith in the goaltending and the goalies have no faith in the defense. When the defense is actually playing well, Anderson will allow a soft goal. When Anderson is playing well, the defense will give up an odd man rush.

I don't see how anyone can sit there and defend Anderson while blaming everyone else. The coaches, goalies, defense, and forwards should all share the blame for the Avs allowing the 3rd most goals in the league.
His rebound control has never been great. But last year we had dmen who can help him in that aspect. Especially Hannan and Quincey. This year, we have O'Byrne and thats it.

It is the D's fault when a goalie has move post to post to stop those 2 on 1s, or when a forward is left wide open in the slot. Andy shouldn't be expected to bail the defence out every shift, no goalie should. I don't think people here realize what a soft goal is. Andy has not been giving away softies like a bad goalie. Hes simply not bailing out a defence that is even worse than last year. His play last year covered a lot of that, but hes not Dominik Hasek.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Because Florida's defense is so good.

I personally think getting Vokoun would be a horrible move, given his age (34) and injury history (pretty much misses 5-10 games a year). But let's not make it sound like it's completely impossible to play goalie with the Avalanche's defense. Both guys have given up softies galore.
Switch Vokoun with Bryzgalov and you'll get the same result. This defence is awful and Sacco's system has abandoned defence. Florida's dmen doesn't pinch nearly as much as ours and they actually have guys who will clear the front of the crease. They can keep shots to the perimeter while we can't.

Old
01-28-2011, 04:42 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
At least give him a chance.
Man that was a great night

WarriorOfGandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
So lets go overpay for Vokoun who will also put up .900 sv% and 3.00GAA behind this garbage defence?
Florida's defense isn't that great either and Vokoun is doing pretty well over there. He has also played well for more than one season in his NHL career. When they played on the team and behind the same defense, Vokoun was the better goalie.

If Anderson doesn't improve his play, I'd much rather pay Vokoun 5-5.5M instead of paying Anderson 3M over 3 years like you suggested.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 04:47 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
Switch Vokoun with Bryzgalov and you'll get the same result. This defence is awful and Sacco's system has abandoned defence. Florida's dmen doesn't pinch nearly as much as ours and they actually have guys who will clear the front of the crease. They can keep shots to the perimeter while we can't.
There's no doubt that the defense is bad, but the goaltending behind it is equally as bad.

I'm not suggesting either guy (and I've been a big Bryzgalov fan since '06, but it's obvious Phoenix had great defense last year), I'm just pointing out that the alternative—your proposed three year, nine million dollar contract—is an equally unjustified extreme.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Florida's defense isn't that great either and Vokoun is doing pretty well over there. He has also played well for more than one season in his NHL career. When they played on the team and behind the same defense, Vokoun was the better goalie.

If Anderson doesn't improve his play, I'd much rather pay Vokoun 5-5.5M instead of paying Anderson 3M over 3 years like you suggested.
When they were on the same team, Andy had a better record (15-7-5) with about the same save percentage with a slightly worse GAA. Florida's defence gives up a lot of shots, but they can clear the front of the net. They try to give up perimeter shots instead of the high percentage shots. That defence is not great, but I'll take their dmen are playing defence over ours anyday.

Old
01-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
When they were on the same team, Andy had a better record (15-7-5) with about the same save percentage with a slightly worse GAA. Florida's defence gives up a lot of shots, but they can clear the front of the net. They try to give up perimeter shots instead of the high percentage shots. That defence is not great, but I'll take their dmen are playing defence over ours anyday.
For us it doesn't matter if it's a breakaway, 2 on 1, or a perimeter shot. There is a good chance that it's going in.

Old
01-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
There's no doubt that the defense is bad, but the goaltending behind it is equally as bad.

I'm not suggesting either guy (and I've been a big Bryzgalov fan since '06, but it's obvious Phoenix had great defense last year), I'm just pointing out that the alternative—your proposed three year, nine million dollar contract—is an equally unjustified extreme.
I think 3 mill per year is fair. If we can get him for less, all the better. We would still only be spending 4 mill total on goalies (Boods getting 1 mill) and I think Andy is a fine option. We need to dedicate as much of our resources as possible to our defence. I hope we don't overpay for a goalie (5 mill+) without getting new dmen, because no matter who he is, he'll look horrible playing behind the guys we have right now.

Old
01-28-2011, 05:22 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 50
Get him out of here. Trade him at the deadline for something, ride Budaj, and call up John Grahame. Did I mention the tank is a tank?

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Mouse21*

vCash: 500
Quote:
So lets go overpay for Vokoun who will also put up .900 sv% and 3.00GAA behind this garbage defence?
he can be great in florida behind those TERRIBLE teams, he could be great on our Bad team.

a 3 year deal is wayyyyyyy too long. dude hasnt been good at all since the start of last year, and in the playoffs.
thats one entire season sans a couple months, and this entire season.
fluke.

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Fluke

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Man that was a great night
Someone needs to show him that video. He's looked uninspired lately.

Fluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 07:48 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
I think 3 mill per year is fair. If we can get him for less, all the better. We would still only be spending 4 mill total on goalies (Boods getting 1 mill) and I think Andy is a fine option. We need to dedicate as much of our resources as possible to our defence. I hope we don't overpay for a goalie (5 mill+) without getting new dmen, because no matter who he is, he'll look horrible playing behind the guys we have right now.
The three million part is fine. Just not the three years.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 08:51 PM
NHL33*

Sign Anderson

Then sign Vokoun.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 140
I'd wait until June 30th and see the status of other, better UFA-to-be goaltenders (namely Vokoun and Bryzgalov). If either of Vokoun or Bryz make it to UFA, make a concerted effort to sign one of them. If both are re-signed, then we really have no choice but to stick with Andy... but at something like 2 years/$5.5 million. I would consider looking around for someone who isn't established but who had the potential to put pressure on Andy to perform if he wants to keep the starting job.

Andy's just looked off for long stretches this season. I don't think it's due to lingering injuries either--sometimes he just doesn't care and gives up on plays (like Budaj in the season-not-to-be-named). The fire in him is gone. Frankly, aside from a few playoff games (which isn't to be discounted) he's been mediocre for the past 12 months. I can't see justifying a 3 year contract worth $4M or $5M a season.

And I can't see Pickard being close to NHL ready next year. Maybe people with more experience can chime in, but from what I've seen he looks 2-4 years away.

Zih is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 09:39 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zih View Post
I'd wait until June 30th and see the status of other, better UFA-to-be goaltenders (namely Vokoun and Bryzgalov). If either of Vokoun or Bryz make it to UFA, make a concerted effort to sign one of them. If both are re-signed, then we really have no choice but to stick with Andy... but at something like 2 years/$5.5 million. I would consider looking around for someone who isn't established but who had the potential to put pressure on Andy to perform if he wants to keep the starting job.

Andy's just looked off for long stretches this season. I don't think it's due to lingering injuries either--sometimes he just doesn't care and gives up on plays (like Budaj in the season-not-to-be-named). The fire in him is gone. Frankly, aside from a few playoff games (which isn't to be discounted) he's been mediocre for the past 12 months. I can't see justifying a 3 year contract worth $4M or $5M a season.

And I can't see Pickard being close to NHL ready next year. Maybe people with more experience can chime in, but from what I've seen he looks 2-4 years away.
Pickard would be incredibly young to be a goaltender in this league. It isn't impossible but the track record for real young goalies is not good. He has looked a little inconsistent to my eyes but playing behind a terrible team will do that. I doubt the TBirds make the playoffs though and I think Pickard can play in Lake Erie if they are still in play (somebody correct me if I am wrong.) That might be an interesting scenario to judge him by.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:09 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
Pickard would be incredibly young to be a goaltender in this league. It isn't impossible but the track record for real young goalies is not good. He has looked a little inconsistent to my eyes but playing behind a terrible team will do that. I doubt the TBirds make the playoffs though and I think Pickard can play in Lake Erie if they are still in play (somebody correct me if I am wrong.) That might be an interesting scenario to judge him by.
You are correct. If the T-Birds season is over and the Monsters are still playing, than Pickard could play with Lake Erie on an ATO for the rest of their season.

Old
01-29-2011, 12:42 AM
the_fan

How about Miller?

Sabres might consider a trade given the right price.

Stastny, Galiardi, Yip, Hunwick and picks for Miller

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 01:10 AM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
How about Miller?

This trade isn't really good for either team. Stastny is so much more important to this team then some people think. I also don't see how Buffalo would ever want to get rid of maybe the best goalie in the world.

NothingLikeAnEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 01:11 AM
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
How about Miller?

Miller can't carry the Sabres to the playoffs in the East this season, he wouldn't be able do it on this team either.

Old
01-29-2011, 01:39 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Miller can't carry the Sabres to the playoffs in the East this season, he wouldn't be able do it on this team either.
They're not trading Miller but if Miller was the goalie for the Avs, we would be a lock for the playoffs.

I know, I know.....the defense is terrible and not even Patrick Roy in his prime would have a GAA under 3 and SV% over .900. It's not Andy's fault. etc, etc.

Old
01-29-2011, 04:33 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Has it really fell that far for Craig?, I remember him last year, he was dynamite, and literally the only reason you guys came anywhere near the playoff's last year.

He also had a strong playoff's where the avs nearly upset the sharks.

I would take Craig Anderson on my team, any day of the week.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 04:55 AM
Zaphod

Anderson's sometimes quite good. Budaj can be quite good. It's a problem.

There just aren't that many consistent goaltenders around, it's far more common to have guys who either get hot or can have one real good year and go cold... just think, if we'd been patient enough with Tim Thomas all those years he needed to go through the IHL, ECHL, SEL, SM-L...

There are ways to do this. Teams find these dudes. The Avs need to be more proactive on this front. Anderson looked like a stroke of genius, but he already had a small body of work in the NHL and he got to the open market. Who's lighting Finland on fire this season? Or Sweden? I want a Henrik Lundqvist.

edit - You would take Craig Anderson on your team? Would you theoretically swap Schneids for him? We gotta get you in the Nucks front office, this is crazy enough to work. (Slight desperation on my part, I suppose)

Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 06:14 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
Who's lighting Finland on fire this season? Or Sweden? I want a Henrik Lundqvist.
You might end up with a Jonas Gustavsson.

As far as Andersson goes (heh...I cannot believe he ever did that), I've not given up on him, but the shine is most definitely off the apple. Like many of you, I wouldn't be opposed at this time to re-signing him for a year at maybe slightly less than his current salary. That's assuming he doesn't continue his slide, in which case I don't want him back at all unless he is willing to sign for bench money.

As for people claiming Vokoun is not an upgrade - you're crazy. I'm not sure the Avs should or would go that route, but Vokoun has been consistently stellar on some pretty bad teams. My issue with him is that he'll probably be demanding a big, long contract, and those things can bite you in the caboose when it comes to goalies. If the Avs were closer to contention, I'd say pull the trigger. As it is, Vokoun may fade even as they peak.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

vCash: 642
Anderson with a one year contract, and barely a raise would be good for next year. Keep the options open in case someone becomes available that isn't two years away from retirement (Vokoun). I happen to like Ken Hollands approach to goalies, that if you can spend a small amount on the back end you can use the extra money to sign good defense.

Holyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Makkeli

I would love us to sign 1 year contract with Iiro Tarkki on Finnish Sm-league team Espoo Blues. He has been amazing and i don't believe he is going to stay in Finland. If i remember correctly there was some rumours last year that Columbus was interested about him

Makkeli is offline   Reply With Quote