HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halfway point, who do you draft?

Old
01-29-2011, 03:40 PM
periferal

vCash: 500
You have to know by now that you take BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE.

If you think we need a forward...Well what if Snow trades Hamonic, DeHaan, and Donovan to the Devils for the RFA rights to Parise? Then all of a sudden you alter your draft plans to take a defenseman? Please.

To draft on need, especially when these KIDS won't see the ice for a couple of years, is downright silly. Draft so your organization has the BEST OVERALL TALENT.

When you have the most TALENT, you have more options down the line. Like I don't know...Maybe trading Phil Kessel for 3 top picks or something...

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 03:48 PM
CDirt

This team drafts Larson then they can be taken seriously when they have a conversation about one day competing for a cup.

CDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 04:18 PM
bossy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJo View Post
If they pick a forward i really hope it is someone with some speed.
BPA. And that just might be RNH. Which will give us a dynamic player who can attack the neutral zone with speed. Excellent skater and passer. He see's the ice very well.

bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 04:22 PM
DPSNAGS

i think you take larson if hes on the board....winning starts with defense and good defenseman are more valuable than forwards...plus a defense of

larson-streit
hamonic-de haan
macdonald-ufa

makes me feel good about our future

if hes not on the board you cant go wrong with rnh, coultier or langsberg(dont know spelling)...we have alot of holes to fill but id rather address defense 1st

DPSNAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
I don't think the islanders will draft 1st, therefore Larsson will be off the board. Let's say the Devils don't get out of hte funk they're in. They are picking Larsson. Their defense is wretched right now, and Larsson would bolster that.

If we pick 2 I choose Hopkins.

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 05:25 PM
4Isles4*

Larsson Landeskog or teade down to take Harbedue

4Isles4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 07:23 PM
mczerkawski21

Larsson if he is on the board...if not ...maybe landeskog BUT I would prefer to trade down and take a defensmen at around 5 to 7. THEN trade up to around 20ish and take Vladislov Namestnikov to center petrov and kabonov lol. But seriously ...I like Vladislov as a good playmaking center.

mczerkawski21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 08:47 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
I want us to draft Nugent-Hopkins, He has over 45 assists so far and has the traits to be a real play maker on this team. Something I hope Josh Bailey turns into!!

Courtier has the body and could play along side Tavares and Moulson. Nino is a great prospect we have, so I am hoping he can be a huge contributor.

I know everyone loves Larsson but we need scorers and I dont see Garth/Wang going out this off season doing anything to help the team other then the usual Waiver wire pick. Sadly I also see them making Jack Capuano made official head coach with Doug Weight as his assistant.

You can have the best Defense but when your goalie is broken down and slower by the day it wont mean a damn thing. Scoring keeps the team in games and helps the locker room stay motivated.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
At this time, Larsson remains my favorite, then Landeskog. After that, it's kind of a toss-up IMO between Couturier and RNH. Assuming we pick top 4, I'd be pretty happy with any of them though. And really, Strome really seems to be separating himself to the point where he could be thrown into consideration as well.

Beyond our pick, I'd love to see us trade up to around pick #20 to grab someone like Bartshi, Namestnikov or Khokhlachev (if he falls due to Russian factor). I figure one of them will be available at that pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
I know everyone loves Larsson but we need scorers and I dont see Garth/Wang going out this off season doing anything to help the team other then the usual Waiver wire pick. Sadly I also see them making Jack Capuano made official head coach with Doug Weight as his assistant.

You can have the best Defense but when your goalie is broken down and slower by the day it wont mean a damn thing. Scoring keeps the team in games and helps the locker room stay motivated.
None of these guys are going to be bigtime scorers next season most likely, so who Garth might sign this summer should not be a consideration when making this pick.

And having a brokedown goalie is all the more reason to have a strong defense to limit chances against him.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

None of these guys are going to be bigtime scorers next season most likely, so who Garth might sign this summer should not be a consideration when making this pick.

And having a brokedown goalie is all the more reason to have a strong defense to limit chances against him.[/QUOTE]

You never know how players turn out, Give me 50/60 points and its a victory freshman season. Forget the defense, this aint football. You go all out with offense!!

Old
01-29-2011, 10:18 PM
Seph

Quote:
You never know how players turn out, Give me 50/60 points and its a victory freshman season. Forget the defense, this aint football. You go all out with offense!!
I'm fine with a 50/60 freshman season, but the point remains that one 50/60 point forward is not what's going to take us over the top next season to make us a playoff team. Which is why drafting should be on based on the best prospect, not who will score the most next season.

Also, did you watch the finals at all last season?

Old
01-29-2011, 11:13 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
I'm fine with a 50/60 freshman season, but the point remains that one 50/60 point forward is not what's going to take us over the top next season to make us a playoff team. Which is why drafting should be on based on the best prospect, not who will score the most next season.

Also, did you watch the finals at all last season?
I am not referring to 1 season of success. Obviously you draft the best player but I would rather not draft the defenseman. We need scoring!!! Larsson is not going to light up the score board nor fill up seats!!! Which is another reason why you go with offense.. It makes the fans interested and brings national attention to the team. If Stamkos or Ovechkin were on the Islanders the Isles will attract 14,000 a game and we wouldnt be a laughing stock. We would be labeled a team on the rise with young powerful talent.

No one cares about Victor Hedman on Tampa Bay or Pronger in Philly. Lindstrom would be no where if it werent for Yzerman and Federov and Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Yes I saw the cup finals last season and saw the clincher by a 5'10 180 lbs kid named Patrick Kane who is a# 1 draft pick who scored through a tough Philly defense of Kimmo Timomen and the # 2 draft pick Defenseman James van Riemsdyk.

Sorry Seph, I am going with Offense!!

Old
01-29-2011, 11:27 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
BPA...

We need D AND Scoring...so its a need either way.

01-29-2011, 11:33 PM
QnsIslesFan

Larsson if we're picking 1st but I doubt we will so I say we take RNH send him back to juniors and when he's ready in two years he should be a top line center. You then move Tavares to wing, where he belongs.

QnsIslesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 11:38 PM
Seph

Quote:
I am not referring to 1 season of success. Obviously you draft the best player but I would rather not draft the defenseman. We need scoring!!! Larsson is not going to light up the score board nor fill up seats!!! Which is another reason why you go with offense.. It makes the fans interested and brings national attention to the team. If Stamkos or Ovechkin were on the Islanders the Isles will attract 14,000 a game and we wouldnt be a laughing stock. We would be labeled a team on the rise with young powerful talent.
I'm more concerned with building a winning team than an exciting team, so who makes the fans more interested is pretty irrelevant to me. And if you're comparing who we draft to who we'll sign this summer, then yes, you're only looking at the very short term, which is not the point of the draft and a mistake to draft based on those needs.

Quote:
No one cares about Victor Hedman on Tampa Bay or Pronger in Philly. Lindstrom [would be no where if it werent for Yzerman and Federov and Datsyuk and Zetterberg.
When you say this, I suspect I am being trolled.
Quote:
Yes I saw the cup finals last season and saw the clincher by a 5'10 180 lbs kid named Patrick Kane who is a# 1 draft pick who scored through a tough Philly defense of Kimmo Timomen and the # 2 draft pick Defenseman James van Riemsdyk.

Did you miss the part where two teams that had all of one 70 point player between them in the regular season met in the finals, overcoming poor goaltending by a superior commitment to team defense and top notch defensive squads? Do you really think either team would've made there had their GMs said "Forget the defense, this aint football. You go all out with offense!!"

Both teams were extremely strong and deep from top to bottom on defense and offense. The simple truth is a team needs BOTH to be a good team.

Old
01-30-2011, 06:23 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

We are probably best-served using this pick to drop down in the draft and pick up the type of young, but experienced impact player who we can't get via free agency.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 06:50 AM
TennesseeJedd

Quote:

Completely agree.

WOW "Lindstrom [would be no where if it werent for Yzerman and Federov and Datsyuk and Zetterberg. ") Originally Posted by Dutch Frost)?

That is crazy talk. 4 cups and 6 Norris Trophies, you do know what the Norris trophy is for right? Sorry but defense wins championships, if you dont have a solid defense you just can not win the Stanley cup, I can't believe I actually has to post that.

As far as the draft, you take the BPA with a top 5 pick then you worry about drafting for need.

Last edited by TennesseeJedd: 01-30-2011 at 06:56 AM.
TennesseeJedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 07:32 AM
islandersfan1677

Larsson at 1 or 2

That's where I believe we will finish. If we don't finish at those spots I still see us taking larsson at 3. I can't really see the oilers taking a Dman.

islandersfan1677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeJedd View Post
Completely agree.

WOW "Lindstrom [would be no where if it werent for Yzerman and Federov and Datsyuk and Zetterberg. ") Originally Posted by Dutch Frost)?

That is crazy talk. 4 cups and 6 Norris Trophies, you do know what the Norris trophy is for right? Sorry but defense wins championships, if you dont have a solid defense you just can not win the Stanley cup, I can't believe I actually has to post that.

As far as the draft, you take the BPA with a top 5 pick then you worry about drafting for need.

I am not taking away anything from Lindstrom who is a hall of famer and a damn good player but remember there were other reasons why they won all those cups. I think solid goal tending and top all star scorers played a more significant role.

I just want scoring folks because It pisses me off that we see PAP on the first line and our GM garbage picks in the waiver wire.

Old
01-30-2011, 11:08 AM
BillD

Well sure BPA.
But this season may not have a concensus or clear cut BPA.
In that case, you take the defensman if you can get him. Larsson please.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 11:36 AM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm more concerned with building a winning team than an exciting team, so who makes the fans more interested is pretty irrelevant to me. And if you're comparing who we draft to who we'll sign this summer, then yes, you're only looking at the very short term, which is not the point of the draft and a mistake to draft based on those needs.

Did you miss the part where two teams that had all of one 70 point player between them in the regular season met in the finals, overcoming poor goaltending by a superior commitment to team defense and top notch defensive squads? Do you really think either team would've made there had their GMs said "Forget the defense, this aint football. You go all out with offense!!"

Both teams were extremely strong and deep from top to bottom on defense and offense. The simple truth is a team needs BOTH to be a good team.
this exactly! just how far have ovechkin, backstrom and semEn taken the caps into the playoffs? oh, but they're exciting to watch so that's all that matters...

and btw, it's lidstrom...no N.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 11:37 AM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

Larsson, yes.

FAiling him, Nugent-Hopkins would be acceptable.

RoseTintedVisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:

No one cares about Victor Hedman on Tampa Bay or Pronger in Philly. Lindstrom would be no where if it werent for Yzerman and Federov and Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Winning will put butts in the seats. People want to see a winning team. The flashy forwards get you national attention but, unless the team wins people will not show up , example is the Palffy years. We did not have any flashy forwards in 2001 had a winning team and people showed up.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 12:12 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post
we absolutely need more scoring punch. our D, while not stellar, when healthy, is competent.

streit-hamonic
amac-martinek
jurcina-eaton
mottau
dehaan?

its our offense that lacks legitimate firepower and grit. nino will help next year, and HOPEFULLLLY we'll sign a top flight veteran scorer to take the pressure off the kids, but we still need some help up front.

for me? based on the limited descriptions ive heard, id take RNH. He seems like the perfect compliment to Tavares, who should be moved to wing. Tavares-RNH-OK seems like a good first line to me.

Larsson seems like a good pick, but im skeptical about taking defensemen early, rarely do they end up as good as advertised...and i know the isles feel that way since they passed on fowler last year. plus it seems easier to pluck defensemen later in the draft. see hamonic.

landy seems like a good hard nosed player we could use...okposo with more scoring?

curtourier seems very similar to tavares, and imo, we dont need another slow footed scorer, we need more complimentary players, id pass on him.

butt wtf do i know, i havent seen any of them play in person and im just reading things off the internet....
And in 2 years when Jurcina, Eaton, Mottau, Martinek are gone? What if De Haan and Donovan don't develop as expected?

Never draft for need. Take Larrson, the best player available.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 12:22 PM
4Isles4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post
For some reason I'm not as big of Landeskog fan as many are here, he just reminds me too much of Bergenheim. No doubt he will be a better scorer than him. Isn't Landeskog hurt right now anyways? if so that's a major red flag for me, as I would stray away from guys who have had injuries (especially concussions, shoulders, knees and wrists).

Right now for me it's:

1.Nugent-Hopkins (stellar playmaking ability, which we don't have, however I would like to see more goal scoring from him)
2.Larsson (NHL ready Size and Strength, would be a great blueline addition to go along with AMac and Hammy)
3.Hamilton (Just feel like this kid is the complete package, has all the tools for the NHL)
4.Couturier (maybe a tad soft for his size, but other than that his offense is hard to ignore)
5. Landeskog (scrappy and tough, though offensive upside worries me)

Notable: Jonathan Huberdeau: I'm a skeptic of him, I look at his numbers as being "inflated" due to playing on a stacked Saint John team.

Trade up to get in first round.1. Duncan Siemens: could go top 10, a more talented Dylan Mcilrath.
2. Matt Puempel, 2010 CHL rookie of the year, offensively gifted playing on a lousy team, pure goal scorer.
3. Scott Mayfield: A big and tough, but very offensive limited Defenseman
4. David Musil, would be a top 5 a yr ago, but still an interesting prospect.

2nd Round Talent I'm high on
1. Matt Nieto: on BU, doing very well as a Freshman, and producing on the 3rd line
2. Dillon Simpson: North Dakota, could be a solid 2 way NHL defenseman, playing college hockey at age 17, son of former NHL player Craig Simpson, would have 2 full years of CHL eligibility if he chose to leave N. Dakota.
3.Myles Bell: a WHL defenseman some scouts think could go in the 1st round

Late Round Sleepers worthy of a selection round 5-7
1.TJ Tynan: Anders Lee's 5'8" teammate, leading Notre Dame in scoring (38 pts in 29 games)
2. Garrett Noonan: 6'2 BU defenseman, 20 yrs old
3. Alex O'Neil, the agitator who attended Isles kiddie camp and participated in the rookie game vs. boston prospects.

I could go on and on.
ALL players in bold are interest to me.....if we take Larsson im hoping to get a good foward by trading up to the mid 1st.....I really want Kohlechekov....I have a crazy feeling hes gonna be awsome....

4Isles4* is offline   Reply With Quote