HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We need to realize what we have in Kevin Poulin

Old
01-29-2011, 07:32 AM
scott99

vCash: 500
We need to realize what we have in Kevin Poulin

Ladies and Gents, for the first time in over ten years, we have an elite goalie prospect. As a 20 year old first year PRO, in his first 21 professional games (Isles and Tigers combined), he has a record of 12-7-1, with a 2.31 GA and a .929 SP. Let's think about this for a second, he's only 20 years old, in his FIRST pro season, playing in front of possibly the worst defenses in both the NHL and AHL, and yet look at those stats ! Also, look at the stats of the other goalies on the Isles and the Soundtigers, they aren't even close. And most of those goalies are older and have played pro hockey for years. Only Roloson's stats on the Isles was close to Poulin's stats.

I know it's early, but looking back at Isle's goalie prospects of the past, from Salo, to Fichaud, to Luongo, to DiPietro, I think Poulin is off to the best start of them all, in fact, I think he's here to stay. I can only imagine how good he'd be if he played in front of a decent defense. I think with players like Tavares, Poulin, Hamonic and Grabner already proving themselves in the NHL, you have to be excited about the Isle's future.

As far as Poulin, the future is now. He's done an incredible job. He reminds me of a combination of Marc Andre Fleury (size and textbook butterfly) and Dominick Hasek (controlled flopping). He is a player that we all have to realize can make us feel positive about the Isles.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Strummergas

I really hope you're right, and I have a good feeling about KP. But remember, for every Patrick Roy there are countless Jim Carey's. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope this kid has the moxy to put up with a nightly pummeling of shots and not lose his confidence while this team continues its sluggish rebuild.

Strummergas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 10:22 AM
the isle revival

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post

I know it's early, but looking back at Isle's goalie prospects of the past, from Salo, to Fichaud, to Luongo, to DiPietro, I think Poulin is off to the best start of them all, in fact, I think he's here to stay. I can only imagine how good he'd be if he played in front of a decent defense. I think with players like Tavares, Poulin, Hamonic and Grabner already proving themselves in the NHL, you have to be excited about the Isle's future.
When do I get to be excited about the Islanders present?

the isle revival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 10:41 AM
Oxim Oresi

I also think he deserves a 10 year contract.

Oxim Oresi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 10:49 AM
Axe Man
Brooklyn Bound

I am happy about Poulin and I do hope he becomes an elite goalie. Also, I am happy about the young Islander core. However, there are some players that I feel need to start gelling. Those players are Bailey, Comeau and Schremp. They are inconsistent players who need to step it up or be shipped out. As a whole the Islanders are definetly moving in the right direction though.

Axe Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 11:33 AM
BJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrattzinger View Post
You're on the wrong message board for that. This is HockeysFUTURE.

The answer is never, as long as Wang is here unfortunately.

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 11:44 AM
ScaredStreit

Poulin is playing well-but let's not get ahead of ourselves. By no means is he an elite-goaltender prospect. I know we've been at the bottom and have been grabbing at straws in hopes that our prospects pan out. But for every prospect that pans out-there's 20 that don't. For every goaltender prospect that makes it-there's countless that don't. Obviously I hope we have the next elite goaltender-but by no means is he the next Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, etc. Best case scenario he becomes a legit starting goalie. If that happens we got lucky.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 01:55 PM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
There is one small problem... 2021 is in the way and he'll always be considered the number one goalie so then what?

DP a back up? Not likely...

But on a side note, Poulin stopped 45 of 48 shots last night in Worcester. He's currently 10th in the AHL among goalies, but that is a little misleading. In the top ten, he's the only goalie on a team with a .475 winning percentage. The rest are .520 and higher.

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 02:11 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Ranger Fan View Post
There is one small problem... 2021 is in the way and he'll always be considered the number one goalie so then what?

But on a side note, Poulin stopped 45 of 48 shots last night in Worcester. He's currently 10th in the AHL among goalies, but that is a little misleading. In the top ten, he's the only goalie on a team with a .475 winning percentage. The rest are .520 and higher.
Pulin stood on his head in this game making 24 saves in the first, and 17 or 18 in the 3rd

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 03:05 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

prospects I am excited about not already playing on the Islanders(in order):
Poulin
Nino
Lee
deHann
Petrov
Nelson
Gregoire
Citizkas
Donovan
Rahkshani
Kessel
Nilsson
Joensuu
Wishart
Ulstrom
Ness

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 03:07 PM
scott99

Like I said, his stats are ridiculous considering the defenses he plays in front of. 45 saves is two games for some goalies. Imagine he only faces 25-30 shots a game instead of 35-50. He's an incredible talent with a quiet confidence. Not getting too psyched, I know it's early, but for your first pro season and to be playing like this at age 20 is amazing to me.

Old
01-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Yeah but he'll always be backup to anchor 2021

Isles Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 05:11 PM
scott99

You people can't really think that even though his contract lasts until 2021, DP will even last past the next year or two, that's just being naive. I don't believe DP will ever be completely healthy and will ever be more than 1b or a backup. Poulin will be the future starter.

Old
01-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Stercrazy

I'm happy with his play so far. I hope he truely becomes THE POULIN WALL.

Stercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 05:21 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

As an objective observer, I think he very well may be a top 10 NHL goalie if he really wants to be and I'm talking within 2 or 3 seasons potentially. He's got the ability, let's see if he continues to develop accordingly.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 05:45 PM
Wedregast

vCash: 50
So far Poulin has impressed me a lot. Far more then I'd have thought possible. But he's still too raw to know how he will pan out in the long term. He has at th very least 1 season, if not 2 seasons before he should be a NHL regular if he keeps up his production. Even then, we haven't seen enough of him to know if he will be a career AHL goalie, NHL backup, really good NHL backup, decent NHL starter, good NHL starter, or elite NHL goaltender. I'd give him a least a year before trying to figure out his potential and what we should expect og him.

Otherwise, I do think we have a gem in Poulin. I think it'll be exciting to see how he pans out.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 06:20 PM
TennesseeJedd

Quote:
Ladies and Gents, for the first time in over ten years, we have an elite goalie prospect. As a 20 year old first year PRO, in his first 21 professional games (Isles and Tigers combined), he has a record of 12-7-1, with a 2.31 GA and a .929 SP. Let's think about this for a second, he's only 20 years old, in his FIRST pro season, playing in front of possibly the worst defenses in both the NHL and AHL, and yet look at those stats ! Also, look at the stats of the other goalies on the Isles and the Soundtigers, they aren't even close. And most of those goalies are older and have played pro hockey for years. Only Roloson's stats on the Isles was close to Poulin's stats.

As far as Poulin, the future is now. He's done an incredible job. He reminds me of a combination of Marc Andre Fleury (size and textbook butterfly) and Dominick Hasek (controlled flopping). He is a player that we all have to realize can make us feel positive about the Isles.
There is no doubt he has done well in his very brief NHL appearance but I think you are way off on the bold comment. I agree he has size and yes he is a butterfly tender but he is far, far from being "controlled" in his flopping, he is overplaying his side to side motion to the point he ends up 3 feet out of the crease. The Pit. game particularly he was just lucky the Pens players couldn't get their stick on those cross ice passes or that game could have been ugly.

This has been a constant through his limited time in the NHL and quite honestly is expected of a kid 20 years old playing his first games at the sports highest level but he wont get away with it for long, his size has a lot to do with it not costing him so far. The only way for him to calm down and learn to play better positionally and to limit the excessive movement is to play often, play smart, get good coaching/advice.

I don't think the Islanders are the right place for him to develop this kind of position maturity, especially facing the amount of shots he is facing, the quality of plays bearing down on him and the added pressure of an tremendously weak defense in front of him, a fan base with waning patience, an empty building and mounting losses.

Yes he may very well be able to handle playing in these circumstances but why would you want to put your best goaltending prospect in this atmosphere. He should be in the Bridge, make his mistakes there, get stronger mentally and physically, work hard in the offseason on positioning and come to camp 2011 knowing what it takes to play in the NHL.

Like others have said he is not going to be the Isles #1 as long as Rick can play but hoipefully Rick will be the #1 tender in name only and Poulin can play well the majority of games next year.

Edit: I also want to add I really would rather he not spend these very early moments in his NHL career soliciting or getting unsolicited advice from Rick Dipietro

TennesseeJedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 08:52 PM
4Isles4*

hes gonna be great and probably a HOF goalie......but not for us....Wang and snow will decide DiPietro is the frachise and that poulin can be traded......I see somthing along the lines of MacDonald(raises his game everytime i see him and is becoming a legit top pairing dman IMO) and Poulin for mayby a 3rd round pick and somone like ben Eager........you know like Chara and Luongo for Dipietro Kavasha and Parish......

I love Dipietro for the record .....nobody asks to be injured....and he is the most competitive athlete ive ever seen....I wish we could take rickys mindset with poulins bodyandskills and make one great goalie....

4Isles4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 08:54 PM
4Isles4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Ranger Fan View Post

exactly or should i say unfortunatly

4Isles4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 10:19 PM
JasonDoig*

Quote:
You people can't really think that even though his contract lasts until 2021, DP will even last past the next year or two, that's just being naive. I don't believe DP will ever be completely healthy and will ever be more than 1b or a backup. Poulin will be the future starter.

People have being saying "there's no way Dipietro will even last past the next year or two" since like 2008. Even with Roloson playing well DP still got his starts. The Islanders have done absolutely nothing to show they are even remotely ready to give up on Dipietro. Even if, by some miracle, the Islanders decide to let go of their distorted beliefs, there is absolutely no way in hell Wang is going to pay him 3+ million to play in Bridgeport for 10 years.

In terms of Poulin, he's off to a nice start but it's very easy to get carried away. Raycroft, Steve Mason, Vesa Toskala, Antero Nittymaki, etc. etc. etc. There are many goalies to start off well only to fall apart just as fast. Even guys like Theodore, Huet, and Roman Turek put together multiple awesome seasons only to fade away. It's way too early to even project Poulin as a top 10 goalie, let alone a potentially elite one.

JasonDoig* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 10:56 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

poulin is a good goalie. he looks skilled and confident in net, he moves well, he's so young - i wouldn't rush him to the NHL. Let's give him a season or two as the fulltime starter in the AHL. Let's see him win the job outright in THAT league before the NHL.

Same should go for all the prospects.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 10:59 PM
bluechipbonzo

This is like posting a thread on Web MD saying we need to realize what we have in antibiotics...

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 12:58 AM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrattzinger View Post
/thread

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 02:30 AM
futureofnyi

Poulin will never get a full oppurtunity as the starter as long as DiPietro is there. Management will be and probably is pressing the coaching staff to get anything they can out of DiPi because of that contr...don't even get me started on that. Poulin has a bright future and will be on the squad for years to come. I just hope he gets the larger oppurtunity that he'll deserve if he keeps up solid play for the next year or so...

futureofnyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 08:55 AM
Wedregast

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureofnyi View Post
Poulin will never get a full oppurtunity as the starter as long as DiPietro is there. Management will be and probably is pressing the coaching staff to get anything they can out of DiPi because of that contr...don't even get me started on that. Poulin has a bright future and will be on the squad for years to come. I just hope he gets the larger oppurtunity that he'll deserve if he keeps up solid play for the next year or so...
Up until last draft, that was my thinking too. Now I think they are going to let Ricky play out this season, and maybe next then retire him to work for the organization. they didn't stock up on good goalie prospects last draft for kicks. They did it to put a succession plan in place if/when they needed tp put Ricky out to pasture. With the emergence of Poulin this is more likely now and I think the plan.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote