HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Booth or Weiss

View Poll Results: If you need to trade one in the rebuild, who do you keep?
Keep Booth 18 41.86%
Keep Weiss 25 58.14%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-30-2011, 10:40 AM
KWGoon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
Very well said. I've felt this way all season. I'll go even farther because I don't have a man-crush on the two Russians, do WHATEVER it takes to turn this team back into a winning club again. I've gone from pride, to anger, to frustration, to acceptance, to sadness, and now flat out embarrassment of what this franchise has become. I hope DT is the GM that finally turns this thing around. And fire Yorkman, just like his brother, he's not helping things around there.
I went to a Nets-Celtics game in NJ with my brother and his sons a few weeks ago. It was really a case of nothing better to do. Anyway, I thought all the marketing was really lame and I told my nephews that it reminded me of the Panthers.

I had no idea Yorkman's bro Brett Yorkman is in almost the same position in the Nets org (CEO) as our Michael Yorkman (president) is here. I truly had no idea, but the resemblance of the lame over the top product was unmistakable.

After I found out I couldn't stop laughing. Unbelievable. And yes, both Yorkmans should go, absolutely.

Last edited by KWGoon: 01-30-2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: added "both"
KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Slick Cat

Neither one

Panthers philosophy:

Poor scoring team so instead of adding additional players who can score, loet's trade the few who can and hope that everyone gets better to make up for it.

You keep both. They are both second line players playing on the first line agains the other team's top defense. That is not their fault.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 04:14 PM
KWGoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
Panthers philosophy:

Poor scoring team so instead of adding additional players who can score, loet's trade the few who can and hope that everyone gets better to make up for it.

You keep both. They are both second line players playing on the first line agains the other team's top defense. That is not their fault.
That's fine except Booth is too expensive for a second/third liner after becoming damaged goods courtesy Richards and the Flyers, both of whom have yet to suffer a paper cut for his actions.

Weiss' price tag is appropriate, which is why I would keep him. In reality, if either one is traded, it's going to be Weiss for just that reason, because nobody's going to take Mr. One-dimensional at the asking price.

So in the end, we probably keep both, because we shouldn't trade Weiss, one of the few good deals on a bad deals team.

KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:27 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

Even though I'd like to keep both, I'd have to go with keeping Weiss over Booth. These are two players that actually WANT to play for a team with a history of missing the playoffs for a possible ten years in a row. Weiss I think shows more leadership and overall skill at the prime of his career. Booth hasn't been the same this season since coming back from having concussions. I'm slightly worried that either one could be traded if we end up having a slight firesale within the next few weeks, but I think with both of them wanting to move forward with "The Blueprint," that shows character that we've rarely seen on this team over the past decade.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:14 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Hypothetical question:

You are GM of the Panthers and you can only keep either Weiss or Booth. The other will be traded as part of the rebuild.

Who do you keep and why?
Which would you prefer to keep, your hand or your foot?

Or maybe more accurately, your brain or your heart?

I won't make this decision. Booth is obviously not up to his level of play vs. before his concussion, but with him you don't want to trade him at a lower value knowing he's likely to push himself to improve in the offseason. Weiss is still on more or less his usual pace - he's substandard as a top line center, but that's largely due to his style being that of a two-way center. Defensive-minded. He's a very good 2nd line center and could be a key guy in the future if this team could just find a top line. He'll make a good team much better.

Really, to make this team better you have to keep guys like Booth, Weiss, and Frolik (rolling the dice). They'd make one of the best 2nd scoring lines in the NHL. Leverage your other assets to get a top scoring line, sign some hard-working guys to fill the back 6 forward positions. The defense at the moment is credible but needs more depth - hopefully though that depth is in the works with some prospects working up through juniors, college, and Europe. Which makes me realize I've lost track of what prospects we have. I know we've got one defensive prospect, that Russian guy playing in the CHL...well, sometime I'll get around to figuring out who we've got again

01-31-2011, 08:28 AM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Which would you prefer to keep, your hand or your foot?

Or maybe more accurately, your brain or your heart?

I won't make this decision. Booth is obviously not up to his level of play vs. before his concussion, but with him you don't want to trade him at a lower value knowing he's likely to push himself to improve in the offseason. Weiss is still on more or less his usual pace - he's substandard as a top line center, but that's largely due to his style being that of a two-way center. Defensive-minded. He's a very good 2nd line center and could be a key guy in the future if this team could just find a top line. He'll make a good team much better.

Really, to make this team better you have to keep guys like Booth, Weiss, and Frolik (rolling the dice). They'd make one of the best 2nd scoring lines in the NHL. Leverage your other assets to get a top scoring line, sign some hard-working guys to fill the back 6 forward positions. The defense at the moment is credible but needs more depth - hopefully though that depth is in the works with some prospects working up through juniors, college, and Europe. Which makes me realize I've lost track of what prospects we have. I know we've got one defensive prospect, that Russian guy playing in the CHL...well, sometime I'll get around to figuring out who we've got again
Outside of those 3 players, what other assets can we leverage to get us a top scoring line? I don't see any other player having that value and that's why I think one of those players will need to go to bring a proven 1st liner to this team.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:14 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

vCash: 50
Weiss is way more valued

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote