HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Centre Ice and HD

Old
03-05-2011, 08:59 PM
HogtownSabresfan

vCash: 500
Centre Ice and HD

Question. Does anybody else have the package? Do any of you get the Sabres feed in high definition?
Most nights I get the away team's feed on high def and the Sabres in low def. Always a tough call because I love RJ but picture quality is inferior.
I never get an MSG high fed feed unless it's Rangers and then no RJ.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 09:09 PM
snoop244

The way it was explained to me - and this seems hard to believe - is that the carrier gets to choose which stations they carry to put together the center ice lineup. In Toronto, for instance, Bell and Rogers may have different channels. I found Rogers had virtually no HD games. Bell IPTV/Fibe has at least 4 every day. For some reason, the Sabres feed is never in HD on center ice on Bell or Rogers (when I had the Rogers Center Ice).

snoop244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 09:21 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop244 View Post
The way it was explained to me - and this seems hard to believe - is that the carrier gets to choose which stations they carry to put together the center ice lineup. In Toronto, for instance, Bell and Rogers may have different channels. I found Rogers had virtually no HD games. Bell IPTV/Fibe has at least 4 every day. For some reason, the Sabres feed is never in HD on center ice on Bell or Rogers (when I had the Rogers Center Ice).
This year, there is a whole tier of high def on Rogers package but never Sabres feed. I guess there's zero point in complaining. I'm thinking about getting a grey market dish and using my folks address in Florida for billing.

Old
03-06-2011, 07:56 AM
wheatkingsm

You probably don't want to hear this, but if you are buying Center Ice, you need to get DirecTV. They have so much channel lineup space that I get both HD feeds for almost every game. It comes down to each provider's available bandwidth.

wheatkingsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 08:11 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatkingsm View Post
You probably don't want to hear this, but if you are buying Center Ice, you need to get DirecTV. They have so much channel lineup space that I get both HD feeds for almost every game. It comes down to each provider's available bandwidth.
I do want to hear this because I'm thinking about getting a grey market dish in Canada. Technically DirecTV is illegal. If I just subscribe to MSG, would I get all the games in HD?

Old
03-06-2011, 08:16 AM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
I do want to hear this because I'm thinking about getting a grey market dish in Canada. Technically DirecTV is illegal. If I just subscribe to MSG, would I get all the games in HD?
you would have to order Center Ice because you would be out of the 'local area' that carries MSG as a regional sports network. $150 a season and wheatkingsm said that most of the time he gets HD feeds for both teams

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 09:01 AM
wheatkingsm

Quote:
Gotcha... Yeah, if you are going grey market based on a Florida address, then DTV is definitely the way to go. As long as an HD feed is being offered, DirecTV will have it. Because they are national, they already carry all of the corresponding RSN HD channels, so it's just a matter of flipping the switch to put the feeds on CI.

Old
03-06-2011, 10:40 AM
copter

If your DTV sub is obtained in the Buffalo area you do NOT need to get Centre Ice to watch every Sabre game in HD. Just make sure you sub to MSG and VS. That's what I have and I've seen every game in HD this year.

I also have EVU with Centre Ice and have rarely seen a Sabres HD game offered there.

copter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:26 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by copter View Post
If your DTV sub is obtained in the Buffalo area you do NOT need to get Centre Ice to watch every Sabre game in HD. Just make sure you sub to MSG and VS. That's what I have and I've seen every game in HD this year.

I also have EVU with Centre Ice and have rarely seen a Sabres HD game offered there.
Thanks. Yeah, I realize now a Florida address will cause the MSG games to be blacked out. Crud. I'd still need Centre Ice. I wonder if I get a P.O. Box in Buffalo whether that would work.
Does MSG have any dedicated Sabres programming like the old Empire station? Might make it worth it.

Old
03-06-2011, 11:35 AM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Thanks. Yeah, I realize now a Florida address will cause the MSG games to be blacked out. Crud. I'd still need Centre Ice. I wonder if I get a P.O. Box in Buffalo whether that would work.
Does MSG have any dedicated Sabres programming like the old Empire station? Might make it worth it.
on DirecTV MSG has like 5 channels

638 basically all Sabres games only
638-1 is the HD feed (Sabres)

channel 638/638-1 is blacked out unless there is a Sabres game on

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 02:54 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

i have the package for time warner cable in albany and they only play one HD game per night, usually a high profile matchup. even though my area carries MSG and MSG+, hey never play the sabres game in HD, so unless the sabres are on VS, its old time viewing for me.

billsandsabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 04:34 PM
blackOnion
Why eat eggplant?

I ditched center ice after having it last year, as they only did one game in HD, and often that game was not actually in HD as advertised. Watching Sabres games was like watching a youtube video on a 50 inch screen.

blackOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 06:01 PM
wheatkingsm

Quote:
Directv requires a physical "service" address so the Buffalo PO Box won't do...

Old
03-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Deevo

I've got Center Ice with Bell in Canada. Usually show's about 3 HD games a night, but it very very rarely a Sabres feed. Kind of a bummer, but settling for SD is okay as long as I get to see the games.

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 06:22 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Center Ice HD and Sabres

HogtownSabreFan: Just started on this thread. My Center Ice package experience completely replicates yours.

MSG feeds literally suck. Sabre broadcasts always low def. And I'm sick of watching NYC MSG, Carton and Boomer commercials too.

Watched Philly feed in high def yesterday and saw the whole game and all Sabre goals.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Cuse44

I had Time Warner and the Center Ice Package up until last spring. It would irritate me to no end because I would never get the MSG Sabres telecast in HD. Time Warner had all of the games in Standard but at most 2 games a day in HD. They only had 2 HD channels for Center Ice.

Direct TV carries virtually every game in HD and both teams feeds. For some odd reason most of the Canadian broadcasts are standard def only though. If in the US and a Center Ice subscriber, Direct TV is by far the way to go.

Cuse44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 09:18 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuse44 View Post
I had Time Warner and the Center Ice Package up until last spring. It would irritate me to no end because I would never get the MSG Sabres telecast in HD. Time Warner had all of the games in Standard but at most 2 games a day in HD. They only had 2 HD channels for Center Ice.

Direct TV carries virtually every game in HD and both teams feeds. For some odd reason most of the Canadian broadcasts are standard def only though. If in the US and a Center Ice subscriber, Direct TV is by far the way to go.
Canada has been slower to switch to high definition than U.S. but all the major networks now, TSN, SPORTSNET, LEAFSTV?, CBC should have high definition feeds. I guess there could be some local broadcasters in Canadian markets who do not have a definition signal.

Old
03-07-2011, 06:01 AM
Cuse44

Quote:
Canada has been slower to switch to high definition than U.S. but all the major networks now, TSN, SPORTSNET, LEAFSTV?, CBC should have high definition feeds. I guess there could be some local broadcasters in Canadian markets who do not have a definition signal.
TSN broadcasts are always HD but for some odd reason the late night HNIC CBC games are typically only Standard def on direct tv. Anyway, as long as the Sabres MSG feed is HD, then I'm satisfied.

Cuse44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 07:16 AM
BowieSabresFan

Comcast in Maryland refuses to carry any Center Ice games in hd. Pity, because I have this nice, 50" hd tv with surround sound, that is utterly wasted on the MSG feeds.

I'm hoping that next year they decide to carry Center Ice in hd, but I'm not holding my breath.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:40 AM
bpc2083

I've had Center Ice for five years now and love it. You regularly get both feeds in HD as well as all the HD Sabre games. DirecTV owns.

bpc2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:52 AM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc2083 View Post
I've had Center Ice for five years now and love it. You regularly get both feeds in HD as well as all the HD Sabre games. DirecTV owns.
Same. The only problem is that the guide doesn't tell you which feed is which, so if you are recording the game, you have to guess which is the Buffalo feed.

dire wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Robls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuse44 View Post

FYI. Time Warner subscriber in NW PA. I've had CI for 2 seasons now. Bought a new Sony 55" LCD tv right before the Super Bowl. Had a 36" Sony tube before that. Yes, the SD quality sucks big-time on the 55". Did some research, and found out that the cheap chip in the Time Warner supplied DVR box was doing a terrible job of upscaling the SD channels on the 55". Long story short, you need to pass the signal through the DVR box, and let your tv do the processing. They have better processing chips. Made a world of difference. Not HD quality, but still far superior then before.
On a related note about Time Warner. Talked to a senior technician at my home, and he explained the bandwidth problem they have, and how they overcome it. Won't give all the technical details. He knows of no plans to upgrade their systems in the near future. So, if you want HD, get DirectTV. I have complained to Time Warner about the picture quality of CI, and have received a few credits which amounts to about a one month free of CI.

Last edited by Robls: 03-07-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Robls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:24 AM
murp0837

I have DirecTV and Center Ice. It seems like ALL of the games (home and away feeds) are in HD. I can't remember a game that was in standard definition this season. Last year, MSG and the NHL had the that contract dispute over offering HD, so almost none were in HD (that was across the board on any carrier, though).

Bottom line, if you like sports, you need to have DirecTV. Between the NFL, NHL and MLB packages (in addition to the Versus, NFL Network, and MLB networks), I think DirecTV is the best in the business.

murp0837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:37 PM
bpc2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Same. The only problem is that the guide doesn't tell you which feed is which, so if you are recording the game, you have to guess which is the Buffalo feed.
Thats true.

bpc2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:47 PM
wheatkingsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Little tip on this... in addition to the the CI channels, DirecTV also opens up the corresponding RSN channels during the broadcast windows. So, if you absolutely want a specific feed, record the RSN channel. 638-1 for Sabres HD. Be sure to set a 1 hour extension because the broadcast window is usually on 2.5 hours...