HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any more deals before deadline??

Old
01-29-2011, 11:01 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

vCash: 500
Any more deals before deadline??

So Moulson is signed and not going anywhere..

Roloson and Wiz already dealt....

Snow said in his interview with Howie Rose the other day that he doesn't foresee being active at trade deadline, but you can take that comment with a grain of salt..

So the question is, do you see anyone else going before the deadline, and if so, who??

I only see one candidate:

Radek Martinek... old, always hurt and not a part of the future... doesn't hold much value, but I could see him going at deadline for a pick in the 3-5 round range.

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 11:31 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
I think there's a tight enough market for top 4 d-men and Martinek's having one of his more 'durable' seasons,that we'll see Snow land a 2nd for him.

I'm wondering if Konopka will be given an extension or dealt.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 11:37 PM
Renbarg

I hope to re-sign Martinek.

If he could find some value for Konopka then I would deal him in a heartbeat.

Other than that I don't see a trade happening. Maybe he could somehow fool a team into thinking PAP is good. I dunno.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 11:45 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

I would do back flips if we could land a 2nd for Martinek.... I HIGHLY doubt it..

As far as trading Konopka... Great faceoff man and the only guy on the team that keeps the opposition honest with his willingness to drop the gloves.. I dont count Gillies because he cant play hockey and gets scratched regularly.... Don't even mention Matt Martin because he is a punching bag at this early stage of his career... You cant have a 20 year old boy responsible for fighting 30 year old men on a nightly basis, and if you get rid of Konopka, thats exactly what Martin is going to be forced to do. The return you'd get on Konopka wouldnt come close to equaling what he brings to the team.

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 11:52 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
I would do back flips if we could land a 2nd for Martinek.... I HIGHLY doubt it..

As far as trading Konopka... Great faceoff man and the only guy on the team that keeps the opposition honest with his willingness to drop the gloves.. I dont count Gillies because he cant play hockey and gets scratched regularly.... Don't even mention Matt Martin because he is a punching bag at this early stage of his career... You cant have a 20 year old boy responsible for fighting 30 year old men on a nightly basis, and if you get rid of Konopka, thats exactly what Martin is going to be forced to do. The return you'd get on Konopka wouldnt come close to equaling what he brings to the team.
Or you could, you know... not fight the opposing enforcer.

I"ve been saying this for years. Don't believe me here is Bourne's take on it:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-312277

Old
01-29-2011, 11:57 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:

We'll see on Martinek.

I do agree with you on keeping Konopka.If he's willing to sign an extension at a fair price,bring him back next yr.

Old
01-30-2011, 12:01 AM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
So Moulson is signed and not going anywhere..

Roloson and Wiz already dealt....

Snow said in his interview with Howie Rose the other day that he doesn't foresee being active at trade deadline, but you can take that comment with a grain of salt..

So the question is, do you see anyone else going before the deadline, and if so, who??

I only see one candidate:

Radek Martinek... old, always hurt and not a part of the future... doesn't hold much value, but I could see him going at deadline for a pick in the 3-5 round range.
Actually Snow said he didn't anticipate being active up until the trade deadline...huge difference, and watch for a veteran winger to come our way...

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 12:04 AM
ichabod13

Quote:
You cant have a 20 year old boy responsible for fighting 30 year old men on a nightly basis, and if you get rid of Konopka, thats exactly what Martin is going to be forced to do. The return you'd get on Konopka wouldnt come close to equaling what he brings to the team.
yessiree....thats the exact reason to give konopka an extention. and hes a pretty good faceoff guy to boot.

martinek? if he wants to stick around for another year, why not? id give him a one year 2 million deal.
if any cup contending team suffers a major defensive injury i think he might bring in a middle second.
if he decides to retire, i ask him what he wants, and then try to appease him. he might want to retire as a career new york islander for all i know.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 12:06 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
Or you could, you know... not fight the opposing enforcer.

I"ve been saying this for years. Don't believe me here is Bourne's take on it:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-312277
I don't disagree with what Bourne says, but I don't really think it applies to Konopka. Konopka is solid enough defensively that he is not a liability on the ice like the kind fo goon Bourne describes. Also, though he's no Tootoo or Clutterbuck (or Matt Martin!) ZK can throw pretty decent hits as well. His strength in the dot is also very useful for a team that overall is not great at that area. He brings zero offense of course, but he's hardly the completely one dimensional fighter that Bourne describes.

Not to mention, what Bourne describes is that two teams have their heavy weights fight each other -- without ZK and Gillies (hopefully), that leaves MM as the defacto heavyweight. And times will come when he'll have to answer the call. Not with nearly the frequency as ZK, but it will happen.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 12:52 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
I don't disagree with what Bourne says, but I don't really think it applies to Konopka. Konopka is solid enough defensively that he is not a liability on the ice like the kind fo goon Bourne describes. Also, though he's no Tootoo or Clutterbuck (or Matt Martin!) ZK can throw pretty decent hits as well. His strength in the dot is also very useful for a team that overall is not great at that area. He brings zero offense of course, but he's hardly the completely one dimensional fighter that Bourne describes.

Not to mention, what Bourne describes is that two teams have their heavy weights fight each other -- without ZK and Gillies (hopefully), that leaves MM as the defacto heavyweight. And times will come when he'll have to answer the call. Not with nearly the frequency as ZK, but it will happen.
I was mostly responding to the need to have a fighter on the team.

Agreed about him not being one dimensional. He's not a goon. But when your (not your's specifically) main reasoning to keeping him around is the fact that he fights than you are treating him as such.

I disagree about his physical game though. Z is too slow to be an effective checker. He's the type of guy you think would be better at that aspect of the game but when you watch closely and specifically pay attention to that aspect of the game than you realize that he really doesn't throw around his body effectively.

IMO Z is a dime a dozen 4th liner who becomes a fan favorite because of the **** he says and the passion he plays with. His faceoff skills is his saving grace and its certainly a good asset to have. However there are far better 4th line centers in the league and we would do well to upgrade to one over the summer (one who could preferably play a good pk).

Regarding MM. He will never fight by appointment imo, with or without another goon on our team

Old
01-30-2011, 03:11 AM
4Isles4*

if anyone is gonna be dealt its gonna be Martinek....And since we lose so many dman the onl way that happens is if a playoff team desperatley needs a solid dman and they are will to overpay...i really dont see us getting a 2nd for martinek.....

another way a trade is made is if theres someone on the team right now that another team really likes and is going hard to try and land him...cant think of who that might be.......

4Isles4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 08:43 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
yessiree....thats the exact reason to give konopka an extention. and hes a pretty good faceoff guy to boot.

martinek? if he wants to stick around for another year, why not? id give him a one year 2 million deal.
if any cup contending team suffers a major defensive injury i think he might bring in a middle second.
if he decides to retire, i ask him what he wants, and then try to appease him. he might want to retire as a career new york islander for all i know.

Martinek's about 31 yrs old.I think's very unlikely he retires at this point in his career.

Old
01-30-2011, 09:39 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
I hope to re-sign Martinek.

If he could find some value for Konopka then I would deal him in a heartbeat.

Other than that I don't see a trade happening. Maybe he could somehow fool a team into thinking PAP is good. I dunno.
I am the exact opposite. I would like to resign Konopka because I don't think we can do better for a 4th line center.

I don't want to resign Martinek. I like him, but with Streit, MacDonald, Hamonic, Jurcina, Eaton, Mottau already signed for next year, we have room for only 1 more dman, tops. Someone like Martinek should be a last resort. We should be trying for better.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 3700
i would resign konopka for a year or two at 650k.

then id trade martinek for a second rounder. if sutton got a second, so will martinek. he doesnt have the sexy youtube hits but he sure as hell is a better defenseman, and for capstrapped teams, martinek has a better contract, with half of what sutton had.

snow just has to acquire a depth dman in the same or seperate trade. a rob davison for a 7th if you will.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Otto91

I do feel Snow will be bold again as he was by picking up Nabby on the wire.... But this time it will be at the trade deadline ..

Shoot me down like normal but I just don't see Bailey coming about here on the Island....he is a player that has been greatly mishandled and it shows. He still has Great value cause he is so young with tools that need to be worked on.

Night after night The Line on Comeau Schremp Bailey look lost with no desire to the point where Cappy calls them out and demands more from them.... So I can see Snow being bold with these 3 players making anyone of them part of a deal..... With El Nino pushing for a spot on the big team next year....I am thinking one or more of the CSB line will be gone....

Martinek will be gone.......He has not played well since coming back...it is time to move on

Would like to see Martinand Reese returned and Ullstrom, and Wishart given a look see.....

Otto91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 12:28 PM
CaptDenisPotvin

Why trade konopka? Are we just trying to get rid of anyone that shows even an inkling of WANTING to play here, he's one of the few that plays with passion "he must go" Jeez....what are u gonna get for konopka? A 6th rounder? I think he's much more valuable to us on the roster than on the trade block

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

With Streit and Jurcina hopefully in the line-up over the last 25 games, Martinek is the only guy I can see us trading.

Anyone else would be a bit of a surprise, although we shouldn't be too surprised if someone like Joensuu goes in a deal.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 01:35 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto91 View Post
I do feel Snow will be bold again as he was by picking up Nabby on the wire.... But this time it will be at the trade deadline ..

Shoot me down like normal but I just don't see Bailey coming about here on the Island....he is a player that has been greatly mishandled and it shows. He still has Great value cause he is so young with tools that need to be worked on.

Night after night The Line on Comeau Schremp Bailey look lost with no desire to the point where Cappy calls them out and demands more from them.... So I can see Snow being bold with these 3 players making anyone of them part of a deal
..... With El Nino pushing for a spot on the big team next year....I am thinking one or more of the CSB line will be gone....
If one of Bailey,Schremp or Comeau's moved,I hope it's Schremp.He is the least physical of the 3,the least defensively responsible of the 3 and at 24 yrs old,is three yrs older then Bailey.He's had more time to develop.

Old
01-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Martinek's about 31 yrs old.I think's very unlikely he retires at this point in his career.
He's actually 34 years old. He'll have turned 35 by the time next season begins. And while I don't think it'll be in the immediate future, with a guy with his injury history, he's a likely candidate to hang 'em up sooner rather than later (ie. I can't see him being one of those defensemen who play until their late 30s, maybe even 40).

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 03:12 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
He's actually 34 years old. He'll have turned 35 by the time next season begins. And while I don't think it'll be in the immediate future, with a guy with his injury history, he's a likely candidate to hang 'em up sooner rather than later (ie. I can't see him being one of those defensemen who play until their late 30s, maybe even 40).

I totally disagree.
Martinek's on pace to play more games this season then he has in the last 3 seasons.
His injuries the last few seasons, haven't been the type that required extensive rehab.His injuries haven't been the nagging reoccuring ones that have dogged DiPietro.Martinek doesn't play a bruising,physical style.

I expect he will be one of those nhl d-men who play late into their 30's.Even after leaving the NHL,it wouldn't surprise me if he plays a final season or two in a less physical Euro league.

Old
01-30-2011, 03:18 PM
mm11

Quote:

Matt Martin is one tough kid, IMO will be one of the best middleweights around. quick question, would you like to square off with the punching bag? Good point about fighting men, Martin is learning how to hang with them and then will beat them. He is a very determined kid. He and Hamonic have the "it " factor

mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 04:08 PM
IslesNorway

What may work to the Isles advantage is the tight race in the West, where by now only the Oilers are out of the running. In the East the Devils, Isles and Sens are out but hopefully there won't be many more sellers subsequently forcing prices up.

On the other hand, there really isn't much to trade except Martinek and there's no point in adding anything expensive at this point for the Isles.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 04:17 PM
malPHONEY

Maybe if Fisher or Phillips are available the Isles coud look into it, assuming they're still good and will waive their NTC.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 04:27 PM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
Maybe if Fisher or Phillips are available the Isles coud look into it, assuming they're still good and will waive their NTC.
No player with an NTC will consider waiving it for the Isles.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 05:10 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
My guess is Martinek will be playing in Europe next season(lighter and less physical schedule better for injury issues)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Isles4 View Post
i really don't see us getting a 2nd for martinek.....
I may be wrong but I think the 2011 draft is considered somewhat weak, so a 2nd rounder this year doesn't have as much value as it does other years

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote