HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres reputation?

Old
01-30-2011, 09:36 AM
MayDay

vCash: 500
Sabres reputation?

Has the Sabres organization improved its reputation among players in recent years?

I noticed this poll, of which teams players would least like to play for, and the top five were:

1) Islanders
2) Oilers
3) Thrashers
4) Leafs
5) Panthers

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/alls...ke-to-play-on/

I remember a few years ago, after the Briere/Drury fiasco, the Sabres were near the top of this category. Seems like they have improved their reputation somewhat. Perhaps the show of commitment and willingness to offer longer-term deals to Miller and certain other players helped.

Ultimately though, I think the biggest draw for free agents is winning. All the teams in the top five now are pretty bad.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Has the Sabres organization improved its reputation among players in recent years?

I noticed this poll, of which teams players would least like to play for, and the top five were:

1) Islanders
2) Oilers
3) Thrashers
4) Leafs
5) Panthers

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/alls...ke-to-play-on/

I remember a few years ago, after the Briere/Drury fiasco, the Sabres were near the top of this category. Seems like they have improved their reputation somewhat. Perhaps the show of commitment and willingness to offer longer-term deals to Miller and certain other players helped.

Ultimately though, I think the biggest draw for free agents is winning. All the teams in the top five now are pretty bad.
They've moved to keep who they've identified as "core" players signed, have a former Vezina winner in net and Ruff's work with the Nats last year may have had an image improving effect too. I would expect the Thrashers will move out of that list if they can make the playoffs consistently, which seems to be the biggest uniting that list.

01-30-2011, 10:02 AM
barnell
butter knife hockey

I was unaware that speaking French was a prerequisite to playing for the Habs.

Quote:
while players in Montreal are in the spotlight 24/7 in that wonderful hockey hotbed. The need to speak French may also be a factor.

I guess it's good that we're not the bottom of the barrel now. I would not be surprised if the Pegula sale has had some effect as well. With all signs pointing to Galisano being out they might be losing their reputation was a "bottom line first" organization.

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Pengo

I still think we have to overpay to get UFA's, so we're not anywhere near the top yet IMO.

But hopefully Pegula will bring a winning atmosphere that the players will recognize.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

We're probably #6 on that list.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 11:22 AM
MyersMagic57*

I don't think were that low on the reputation list. If you think about it we always put up a strong effort against top teams and we always have fight in us even though its tough to see it sometimes.

Also Ryan Miller is a big reason were not that low. Even though he's having a bad year and people on this website think its not a factor. A player in the NHL will look at his bad numbers and just say off season, he's still Vezina calibur leading goaltender. That makes players want to come to the Sabres more or less

MyersMagic57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 02:17 PM
missingmika

It was Hockey News like 2007. The question was what city would you least want to be traded to. Sabres came in first at 16%. Second was Edmonton at 11% and 3rd was the Islanders at 10%.

missingmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingmika View Post
It was Hockey News like 2007. The question was what city would you least want to be traded to. Sabres came in first at 16%. Second was Edmonton at 11% and 3rd was the Islanders at 10%.
And that's the problem. I don't think many players have a problem with the organization, but, rather, the city.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:28 PM
Pengo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
And that's the problem. I don't think many players have a problem with the organization, but, rather, the city.
I have to disagree with you.

Guess which team was #1 for the opposite question, "What team would you most like to play on?"

Detroit

Detroit probably has the best organization in the league though.

Old
01-31-2011, 01:33 PM
OcAirlines

Weren't the Sabres 3rd in the poll presented during the ASG?

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:38 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
I have to disagree with you.

Guess which team was #1 for the opposite question, "What team would you most like to play on?"

Detroit

Detroit probably has the best organization in the league though.
Well, let's go on a 20-year run like Detroit's and then players will be willing overlook the quality of the city, or lack thereof. Unfortunately, Detroit is an exception rather than the rule with regard to sustained excellence. For most of the last decade we've fielded pretty competitive teams--either in the playoffs, or just missed, as evidenced by our lack of top picks. Yet the best UFA's don't want to come here.

You're burying your head in the sand if you don't think the city of Buffalo pushes many players away. I'll pose the same question to you that I posed to Bucky during one chat, one that he had to sidestep because the answer would've undermined one of his primary premises: Name five (5) premier (at the time) unrestricted free agents who left their organization to come to Buffalo in the organization's 40-year history, which spans several ownership groups?

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:00 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Why don't they just show the full list, instead of the top 5 and bottom 5?

Old
01-31-2011, 02:13 PM
Pengo

The answer is probably 0, right? I'm not really too aware of the Sabres' distant history.

I'm probably wrong about this (I can't find anything about it), but it seems to me that July 1 and signing UFAs only turned into such a phenomenon relatively recently? I know that players are now able to become UFAs much earlier than before the lockout.

The city is most likely a major reason why we haven't been able to sign UFAs, but the organization's apparent lack of desire to win (Briere and Drury situation, Tallinder and Lydman situation to a lesser degree) is probably the main reason why players don't want to go here.

And just the fact that Florida is #5 on the "least want to play for list" suggests that winning matters more to most players than the city.

Old
01-31-2011, 02:16 PM
mike1262

Quote:
Originally Posted by vile21 View Post
I don't think were that low on the reputation list. If you think about it we always put up a strong effort against top teams and we always have fight in us even though its tough to see it sometimes.

Also Ryan Miller is a big reason were not that low. Even though he's having a bad year and people on this website think its not a factor. A player in the NHL will look at his bad numbers and just say off season, he's still Vezina calibur leading goaltender. That makes players want to come to the Sabres more or less
This is why Ryan Miller is so important to the Buffalo Sabres. I've been reading more about possible trade ideas with the Sabres regarding Miller because 1. He's having a down year and 2. The success of Philly/Chicago with no "franchise" goaltender.

In a market like Buffalo you need a Ryan Miller, it gives the organization instant credibility. It's like letting Drury/Briere go somewhat, if you look at that asset as simply a hockey player you aren't doing all the work. Drury and Briere meant a lot more to the organzation that is just now starting to recover, 4 years and a new owner later. Miller is not just simply a goalie, he is the brand of the Buffalo Sabres.

mike1262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:38 PM
gaf
Occupied Territory

Quote:
Well, let's go on a 20-year run like Detroit's and then players will be willing overlook the quality of the city, or lack thereof. Unfortunately, Detroit is an exception rather than the rule with regard to sustained excellence. For most of the last decade we've fielded pretty competitive teams--either in the playoffs, or just missed, as evidenced by our lack of top picks. Yet the best UFA's don't want to come here.

You're burying your head in the sand if you don't think the city of Buffalo pushes many players away. I'll pose the same question to you that I posed to Bucky during one chat, one that he had to sidestep because the answer would've undermined one of his primary premises: Name five (5) premier (at the time) unrestricted free agents who left their organization to come to Buffalo in the organization's 40-year history, which spans several ownership groups?
I dont disagree w/ this- heck even Craig Rivet was worried about coming here as the trip into the city for visiting players does not paint a pretty picture. I think the team should really sell the location and cost of living (Though I cant say that they dont- just speculating) and that many former NHLers live in the area.
To me the fixable problem is the sour taste Mgt has left in many players mouths. Aside from Drury/Breie situation- go back to Gilmour, McKee, Dumont, Campbell- Grier's comments on the way out the first time. There's an organizational problem when it comes to communicating with players. Fix this and then I'd like to revisit the topic and see where Buffalo lands.

gaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:41 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaf View Post
I dont disagree w/ this- heck even Craig Rivet was worried about coming here as the trip into the city for visiting players does not paint a pretty picture. I think the team should really sell the location and cost of living (Though I cant say that they dont- just speculating) and that many former NHLers live in the area.
To me the fixable problem is the sour taste Mgt has left in many players mouths. Aside from Drury/Breie situation- go back to Gilmour, McKee, Dumont, Campbell- Grier's comments on the way out the first time. There's an organizational problem when it comes to communicating with players. Fix this and then I'd like to revisit the topic and see where Buffalo lands.
Pre-date that with Kozlov wanting out, Hasek, Peca, Audette, back to shipping May and Barnaby out, and the way LaFontaine was handled at the end. One man has had a hand in all of that...

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/allstar/poll/

It says here that Buffalo is 3rd on a city players least want to play for, at 8%.

Old
02-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Yeah, they've changed the results since it was first posted. Heh. Perhaps it CBC didn't want to dump on "Buffalo, Ontario" any more than they did on Edmonton,

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Sabretip

Until the downtown and areas visitors first see when they come to Buffalo improves - factors that several players cited being the root of their poor impression of the city - then it will remain low on the wish list of many players. The frugality that marked past ownerships hasn't helped sell players on the organization's commitment to winning either.

At least, Pegula can help improve the latter situation. As CS noted, having people like Ruff and Miller, along with the loyal fan support in the city, is also a drawing card to build the marketing campaign around.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 07:32 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
I think it's the complete opposite. Or at least, I think the organization is a bigger factor than the city itself.

They don't want to play for the Islanders/NYC
Or Atlanta
Or Toronto
Or Montreal.

I think Pegula coming in is a chance to wipe the slate clean, as far as past mistakes go. But to do that, he probably has to get rid of Regier, and make a real effort to start behaving differently than the old regime.

Last edited by jlr: 02-03-2011 at 07:38 PM.
jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 07:47 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
I think it's the complete opposite. Or at least, I think the organization is a bigger factor than the city itself.

They don't want to play for the Islanders/NYC
Or Atlanta
Or Toronto
Or Montreal.

I think Pegula coming in is a chance to wipe the slate clean, as far as past mistakes go. But to do that, he probably has to get rid of Regier, and make a real effort to start behaving differently than the old regime.
Strangely, Miami is not a desired destination for players, but according to the CBC poll, Tampa Bay is? Geographically, these two franchises are pretty close, with the edge to Miami.

In short, it seems to suggest that players prefer to go to the team that has a clear direction and a winning culture.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 08:17 PM
static80

As long as Darcy "No Nuts" Regier remains the GM of the Buffalo Sabres players will continue to have disdain for the organizaiton.

Regier is the Mr. No of GM's in the NHL.
He is more conservative than Rush "Fatso" Limbaugh for god's sake.
This guy couldn't make a move if somebody pushed him.

Pathetic that he has been given an extension, just pathetic.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote