HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Now we know why no one signs here

Old
01-31-2011, 07:09 AM
Yashin for President

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=JasonDoig;30559845]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin for President View Post
I was being sarcastic with few players but we are definitely not far from being a playoff team when fully healthy. Winning cures everything, that being said everything else will fall into place if everyone stays healthy. This Islander team is much better than teams of the past that had no structure whatsoever. Milbury had the right idea with bringing Yashin and Peca in but couldnt get the right mix of players to go all the way. I think Snow has his plan and has done a decent job, this will be the summer that he gets someone via trade or offer sheet.[/QUOTE]

You have no proof that this is the truth and it's simply wishful thinking. Half-assed offers to Kovalchuk means nothing. I can't imagine that Wang lost any less money this year than in years past. Why would they have money to spend now if they didn't before?
Half ass offers or not that was probably the best thing that never happened to the Islanders. I love Kovalchuck and his skills but he is not the right guy for a team like this. Ask Devil fans what they think about him. I was stating my opinion about this summer, I really think Snow will do something though. Isles will be well stocked during and after the draft to make something happen and there will always be a couple of teams that need to get rid of salary. I'm not saying it is a guarantee but a guy like Parise is too good to pass up on if he is available. I will tell you this much, Snow will not throw big money at players that arent worth big money. Imagine if we signed Drury, Gomez, Gaborik, Komiserik, or any of those free agents that didnt deserve it? Isles are building from within, now just stick to the plan.

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:48 AM
Fruitbasket
I make crap posts.

I will say I did find out that the Oiler's are next in line with 20%.

Fruitbasket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:53 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by åboriginal View Post
i like your moxie. but no.

Seriously, there's plenty of reason to believe the Isles will be a playoff candidate next season, even without a lot of tampering with the roster going into next season.

I still believe health was, again, the most detrimental thing to happen to the current team's chances to compete for the 8th playoff spot.

As for the OP, I believe this voting stat is primarily a reflection of the lack of winning. Of course, the players must have some impression about the ownership and the building and, for all we know, their own agents have discussed certain things about the franchise (and all franchises for that matter) with them.

That logically must play a role.

On another note, even though the statistical number was low (5%), I was very excited to see Frans Nielsen truly being considered one of the most underrated players in the NHL. Glad to see the players have come to recognize him and give him some dues. It really confirms what most of have felt about him the past two seasons.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:54 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
Just saw this poll from the NHL all-star game...over one-fourth of the league does NOT want to play on the Islanders

Wang, it is well past time to sell...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-314327

What team would you least like to play on? New York Islanders, 27%
I'm still in the dark as to WHY they don't want to play there.

I know the Poll stated that they dont want to play there, but the poll does not describe the REASON for not wanting to play there?

I doubt it's Wang

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 08:35 AM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I'm still in the dark as to WHY they don't want to play there.

I know the Poll stated that they dont want to play there, but the poll does not describe the REASON for not wanting to play there?

I doubt it's Wang
Considering the fact that Edmonton, Florida, and Atlanta follow the Isles...I think it mainly has to do with recent performance out on the ice. Not many established vets want to play for a team that continues to be in rebuild mode (even if the Isles say they're not rebuilding) and finish in the bottom of the standings multiple years in a row.

This "perception" will change when the Isles turn things around and goes beyond the first round of the playoffs, and can fill the Coliseum with loud, boisterous Isles fans. In the Isles case, some stability in terms of a new arena or location like Queens will also improve perception. IMO, I don't think majority of the players have an issue with ownership, like some of the fans do.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:28 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDoig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin for President View Post
I was being sarcastic with few players but we are definitely not far from being a playoff team when fully healthy. Winning cures everything, that being said everything else will fall into place if everyone stays healthy. This Islander team is much better than teams of the past that had no structure whatsoever. Milbury had the right idea with bringing Yashin and Peca in but couldnt get the right mix of players to go all the way. I think Snow has his plan and has done a decent job, this will be the summer that he gets someone via trade or offer sheet.
You have no proof that this is the truth and it's simply wishful thinking. Half-assed offers to Kovalchuk means nothing. I can't imagine that Wang lost any less money this year than in years past. Why would they have money to spend now if they didn't before?
Because they have to. Right now our total cap payroll for next year is about 28M, including Moulson's backloaded deal. We are looking, if the cap goes up as rumored, at a floor of about 45M next season.

The following are RFAs:
Okposo, Bailey, Grabner, Schremp, Comeau, Hillen, Gervais.

They are not going to have anywhere near a 17M combined cap hit. Maybe Okposo gets 3, Bailey 1.5, Comeau 1.5, the others under 1 (if resigned). We are looking at being forced to spend as much as ten million to reach the cap.

Then look at our team...
We have 6 dmen signed for next year (without Gervais/Hillen), so we won't bring in more than 1.

We have 9 forwards signed for next year, assuming we resign Okposo, Bailey, Grabner, Comeau and let Schremp go. At least one forward brought in will be a 4th line type for under a million (hopefully Konopka will be back)

So we are looking at spending 9M on 1 dman and 2 forwards. Bare minimum. My guess is we go cheap on one more forward (someone in house or resign PAP or Schremp) and spend 8M on 2 players. Not an outrageous sum, but more than we have spent the past couple of years (since Streit?)

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:36 AM
BennyBST

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddy up View Post
We have such a ridiculous amount of cap space. If we dont spend money this offseason, the league should force wang to sell the team. If we just spend some money we can get good fast.

Not necessarily, didn't we offer Paul Martin a pretty big contract and he took like a million less per year to sign with Pittsburgh?

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:53 AM
Lek

Send a message via AIM to Lek
May have missed this but is there any place to see the full results of the poll, not just the 5 answers that seem to be supplied.

Lek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:12 AM
periferal

3 Reasons...

The way I see it, there are three reasons as to why an NHL play would/would not want to play for an organization:
  1. Record
  2. Facilities/Arena
  3. Ownership/How Franchise is Run

So based on that we have:
  1. Top 5 worst in league last 4 years including this one
  2. Absolutely worst in league (NVMC)
  3. Perhaps worst in all of sports (Wang)

The Isles should be the worst franchise to play for right now. And since Wang is the top of the mountain that everything flows from, I'm not too encouraged about the future.

That said, Long Island (with proximity to NYC) is far from the worst place to live. So if somehow these kids put it together and become a perennial playoff team, and we do get a new arena in 2015-ish, then we'll move to the middle of the pack.

However that is some sort of massive "if" I just put out there. With Wang as owner I don't see how we'll ever pass the powerhouse franchises with far superior ownership/facilities. Even if Nassau/Hempstead finally agrees, I don't even trust him to get us a first-class arena.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:07 AM
Yashin for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Because they have to. Right now our total cap payroll for next year is about 28M, including Moulson's backloaded deal. We are looking, if the cap goes up as rumored, at a floor of about 45M next season.

The following are RFAs:
Okposo, Bailey, Grabner, Schremp, Comeau, Hillen, Gervais.

They are not going to have anywhere near a 17M combined cap hit. Maybe Okposo gets 3, Bailey 1.5, Comeau 1.5, the others under 1 (if resigned). We are looking at being forced to spend as much as ten million to reach the cap.

Then look at our team...
We have 6 dmen signed for next year (without Gervais/Hillen), so we won't bring in more than 1.

We have 9 forwards signed for next year, assuming we resign Okposo, Bailey, Grabner, Comeau and let Schremp go. At least one forward brought in will be a 4th line type for under a million (hopefully Konopka will be back)

So we are looking at spending 9M on 1 dman and 2 forwards. Bare minimum. My guess is we go cheap on one more forward (someone in house or resign PAP or Schremp) and spend 8M on 2 players. Not an outrageous sum, but more than we have spent the past couple of years (since Streit?)
Nice work Kasper, Although i think they will do a trade/sign or an offer sheet. They have the assets to do it now, it not like years past.

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:14 AM
TennesseeJedd

I agree with the consensus here, winning will cure all. It will help FA's consider us more seriously, bring more fans to the games, bring in more advertising dollars and bring more respect from the international press (except for Toronto who will hate us unconditionally)

TennesseeJedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:53 AM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
The way I see it, there are three reasons as to why an NHL play would/would not want to play for an organization:
  1. Record
  2. Facilities/Arena
  3. Ownership/How Franchise is Run

So based on that we have:
  1. Top 5 worst in league last 4 years including this one
  2. Absolutely worst in league (NVMC)
  3. Perhaps worst in all of sports (Wang)

The Isles should be the worst franchise to play for right now. And since Wang is the top of the mountain that everything flows from, I'm not too encouraged about the future.

That said, Long Island (with proximity to NYC) is far from the worst place to live. So if somehow these kids put it together and become a perennial playoff team, and we do get a new arena in 2015-ish, then we'll move to the middle of the pack.

However that is some sort of massive "if" I just put out there. With Wang as owner I don't see how we'll ever pass the powerhouse franchises with far superior ownership/facilities. Even if Nassau/Hempstead finally agrees, I don't even trust him to get us a first-class arena.
Well put.

Ownership's a funny thing......in my line of work I occasionally get to deal with mid-to-large venue/biz owners & directors and even at my lower level the shocking majority seem to be kinda fruity.

This isn't to say people with 'less than kind' opinions of our franchise aren't entitled to their opinions (NYI fans included), but I think Wang's ownership gains at least some of that perceived 'bad weight' from press half a decade old (sumo goalies, long contracts still being paid out for little return, etc.)

Can't say much about the NVMC personally as I haven't been since Rich Pilon was an Islander, but from what I hear about consession prices, it unfortunately reflects the fact that they're losing $$$ (although NVMC is remarkably clean - no health dept. violations last visit.)

Back to point, as said above, winning helps everything. Thankfully they stuck to a plan and hopefully if we don't get hijacked by injuries next year we'll see something approaching fruition. Going back to what I said above referencing Wang & his eccentricities, while the extent of Snow's autonomy over hockey decisions isn't known, I'd like it if I knew without a doubt is total or close to it (as it should be); I'd rather have the hockey/biz guy calling shots than the only-biz guy.

Wang's tried opening up the pocketbook a bit & failed, eventually that success rate has to come up the better the team gets. Like I said on the main boards, some folks there act as if it's 95% of the league that wouldn't come here.

I guess I don't doubt this team's approach to getting competitive again as much as I'm wary about how they'll do at retaining "the core" and staying between LI/Brooklyn/Queens for more than 4 years.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:09 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Good thing that article pointed that out. I had no idea that thinking existed.

Ya mean they don't like flying into Farmingdale airport and seeing the main attraction near NVMC of McDonald's on Hempstead Tpke. and that doesn't make up for all the losing?

No way.
They have the cultural center of the free world only a twenty minute drive away, though.....Queens. Ghandi once said he wanted to be buried there. Columbus cursed like a sailor when finding he hit the wrong Islands....he was looking for Astoria. The Mayan Calender was built expressly for this majestic borough. The Great Gatsby was supposed to be about an arc welder in Bayside but the City wouldn't allow it. On the seventh day, He made Corona. Andretti's only regret was that he couldn't race on the Conduit. Yes, baby, QUEENZ!

Wang and Snow made this team 30th so put the Queenz, Baybee! nonsense away.

No one builds an arena for this sad sack of **** operation until we fix this, not in Nassau, QUEENZ, BAYBEE! or elsewhere.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:55 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut

^ i think you forgot about Brian Boitano finding the spear of destiny there.

Old
01-31-2011, 01:58 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmine Springs View Post
^ i think you forgot about Brian Boitano finding the spear of destiny there.
Bailey for Boitano.....RIGHT NOW!

Make it so, Garth. Make it so.

Old
01-31-2011, 04:18 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
They have the cultural center of the free world only a twenty minute drive away, though.....Queens. Ghandi once said he wanted to be buried there. Columbus cursed like a sailor when finding he hit the wrong Islands....he was looking for Astoria. The Mayan Calender was built expressly for this majestic borough. The Great Gatsby was supposed to be about an arc welder in Bayside but the City wouldn't allow it. On the seventh day, He made Corona. Andretti's only regret was that he couldn't race on the Conduit. Yes, baby, QUEENZ!

Wang and Snow made this team 30th so put the Queenz, Baybee! nonsense away.

Guess it's Wang and Snow's fault that NYI have sucked since 1994 too!

I heard the Chicken McNuggets are to die for as fine cuisine on LI!

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:01 PM
SnowmustGo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
a few players away from winning the cup? Who are those few players? Chara, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Weber, Miller & Keith?
hahaha, come on our prospects aren't THAT bad

SnowmustGo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:53 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowmustGo View Post
hahaha, come on our prospects aren't THAT bad
I look at that list and count the number of teams.....and keep coming to the conclusion that Tavares, Okposo, Niederreiter, Wishart, Bailey, Hamonic, DeHaan and Grabner ain't bad for 1 team.

Old
02-01-2011, 02:03 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Guess it's Wang and Snow's fault that NYI have sucked since 1994 too!

I heard the Chicken McNuggets are to die for as fine cuisine on LI!
Queenz, bayBEE.

No good eats on LI. Therefore the Isles should move.

Last edited by OlTimeHockey: 02-01-2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old
02-01-2011, 04:35 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Queenz, bayBEE.

.....even if you like burnt goat ala Kate.

Old
02-01-2011, 08:16 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Queenz, bayBEE.

Listen, I'm tired of people *****ing about what good eats there are on LI. For ****s sake we have a Chipotle and Church's Chicken right by the Coliseum. If that's not good eating I don't know what is! Also if you want high end right in the area is P.F. Changs and Houlihans. Just amazing amazing food here!

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Is anyone else as shocked as I am that the number isn't MUCH higher than 27%? That means 73% of players think there is actually a worse place to play. That's very surprising.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Listen, I'm tired of people *****ing about what good eats there are on LI. For ****s sake we have a Chipotle and Church's Chicken right by the Coliseum. If that's not good eating I don't know what is! Also if you want high end right in the area is P.F. Changs and Houlihans. Just amazing amazing food here!
I see the hate for Church's and Chipotle... Houlihans too. But PF Changs?! Come on man. That's actually good stuff. It's chinese food that's actually food! When you order a chicken dish at Changs, you are actually getting chicken. Not cat.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
LI landmarks all of them and what it's famous for! Throw in that big duck in Flanders and well that about covers it. Now if only other players would realize what a gem it is with these culinary delights and duck merchandise we'd be set!

Old
02-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
Is anyone else as shocked as I am that the number isn't MUCH higher than 27%? That means 73% of players think there is actually a worse place to play. That's very surprising.
73% of the players had concussions.