HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Brad Richards

Old
02-24-2011, 12:01 PM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Quote:
Richards, who's missed four games because of concussion-like symptoms, won't return this weekend. And that may hamper the price some teams are willing to pay.

Sources say there's no specific asking price for Richards because as Stars GM, Joe Nieuwendyk reiterated on NHL Live on Wednesday that the organization hasn't decided whether to try and trade their top centre or not.

It's assumed that if Dallas moves into trade mode after consulting with Richards (which hasn't happened yet) and opens the floor to offers, the asking price will be substantial.

Young roster players, top prospects, a first-round pick, a bevy of other draft picks - a combination of all, you name it. If Richards is available and willing to move (and discuss a contract extension), Nieuwendyk will ask for the moon.

For a team like the New York Rangers, is such a price (regardless of Richards' current health) worth paying provided he signs an extension? Or at the very least, is he willing to negotiate well before becoming an unrestricted free agent in July?

Some say yes, while others believe New York may show some restraint and gamble on Richards begin available as an unrestricted free agent in July.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dregerreport/

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

With guys like Anisimov, Stepan, McDonaugh, Kreider and other solid prospects coming up through their system, I don't think the Rangers are gonna go after Richards. They're finally building their team the right way, and I think they'll just be patient with what they have.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
a good guess on which team Richards would waive to join....NYR.
about 2 hours ago via web .

Plot thickens. If you're wondering if Brad Richards is willing to waive his no move clause? Yes, but only one team.
about 2 hours ago via web
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger

Why does nearly every star player for the past decade always think so highly of playing in NYC, when the franchise has won 1 Cup in 70 years? I know the lure prior to the salary cap was for the bright light/big city/big dollars but based on recent history, few of the big names over the years that become Rangers ever have productive seasons thereafter. Jagr and Gaborik are the only two I can recall having great seasons after going to NY.

I guess Richards and Tortorella are really tight....

Old
02-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger

Why does nearly every star player for the past decade always think so highly of playing in NYC, when the franchise has won 1 Cup in 70 years? I know the lure prior to the salary cap was for the bright light/big city/big dollars but based on recent history, few of the big names over the years that become Rangers ever have productive seasons thereafter. Jagr and Gaborik are the only two I can recall having great seasons after going to NY.

I guess Richards and Tortorella are really tight....
Lots of people want to move to NYC period. Whatever gets them there, I guess.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:23 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Lots of people want to move to NYC period. Whatever gets them there, I guess.
It's not just the market, or else you would have lots of players clamoring to play for the Islanders as well. Which is clearly not the case.

Players want to play in NYC, but they also want to be on a team that's at least likely to be in contention.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
It's not just the market, or else you would have lots of players clamoring to play for the Islanders as well. Which is clearly not the case.

Players want to play in NYC, but they also want to be on a team that's at least likely to be in contention.
Yeah, that's fair. If you had a dream to move to NYC and you had the choice to play for either the Rangers or the Islanders, I'm guessing the majority are going to want to play for the Rangers. They're generally in playoff contention, even if they're not absolute contenders.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
I don't think Richards is moving.

CBC HNIC radio reported that Brad Richards told reporters about an hour ago that he hasn't been asked to waive his NTC.

Zman5778 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Sabretip

From the TBN chat, FWIW:

Quote:
Q: Pierre LeBrun in a recent blog noted that one GM he spoke to about Richards said that, while his team wasn't going to be a suitor of him at the deadline,were definitely going to make a strong pitch for Richards in free agency. Do you believe this might be Regier he's referring to? it sure would make sense in terms of past Regier pledges of making the major roster moves in the offseason as well as with Pegula's promise in his chat with the TBN staff that that Sabres will "absolutely" be in the free agent market. LeBrun seems to follow the Sabres the most among the national media and often reports of texts he exchanges with Regier.

Gleason: I'm not sure if this helps, but I have heard that the Sabres will be busy trying to make impact moves after the season and before July 1. Does that mean they could make a trade for Richards after this year and try to sign him? It's possible because, as I've mentioned, anything is possible now.
It'd be interesting to see if the Pegula/Regier era consider trading an asset to Dallas prior to July 1st for the rights to negotiate with him in advance of free agency, when other teams will be lining up. Considering the legitimate fear that Richards may not be interested in coming to Buffalo, such a move may be wise to try and woo him with all of the less-heralded parts about the city that so many players come to love once they're there. Pegula's "family-style" approach to owning the team might also help sway Richards - or any other potential FA - in the way that Richards apparently seems loyal to Tortorella.

Old
03-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Maximrules

Sabres Offseason (Richards)

Obviously we all know the Sabres need a centerman in the offseason, and from what I've heard, there will be a short list of teams that will be able to offer Brad Richards the 7 million he will most likely get and the Rangers are NOT one of those teams because of the RFA's they need to sign.

So my question is, do the Sabres let Connolly walk and re-sign Stafford and offer Richards his 7 million?
The first 2 lines would look something like this:

Vanek-Richards-Stafford
Ennis-Roy-Boyes

That looks like a good start to me..

Maximrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 07:58 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximrules View Post
Obviously we all know the Sabres need a centerman in the offseason, and from what I've heard, there will be a short list of teams that will be able to offer Brad Richards the 7 million he will most likely get and the Rangers are NOT one of those teams because of the RFA's they need to sign.

So my question is, do the Sabres let Connolly walk and re-sign Stafford and offer Richards his 7 million?

Vanek-Richards-Stafford
Ennis-Roy-Boyes

If Pegula made a splash like that, he might be sainted in Buffalo churches.

Look, the organization has made steps, but i highly doubt we throw that kind of money at a guy like Richards. The way Lindy rolls 4 lines pretty evenly, it might not even be our best option.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 07:58 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximrules View Post

Vanek-Richards-Stafford
Ennis-Roy-Boyes

If he's a 7-milliom cap hit, it'll have to be an 8-year deal or longer.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 08:06 PM
JD SabreFan

Send a message via AIM to JD SabreFan
If we sign Richards for 4-6 years, I want a bronze statue made of Pegula before next season begins.

JD SabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:26 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Is there any kind of consensus on what Richards might be looking for this summer?

$7 million cap hit for 5 years?

Looks like he turns 31 in May... not sure how much farther we'd realistically want to go out.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:29 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Considering his production this year and how thin the market will be, he could command $8M+ easily if he wants a shorter deal, or he could go for the longer deal for maybe slightly less per year.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:50 PM
JD SabreFan

Send a message via AIM to JD SabreFan
My 2011-2012 Buffalo Sabres

whoopss

JD SabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Maximrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
If Pegula made a splash like that, he might be sainted in Buffalo churches.

Look, the organization has made steps, but i highly doubt we throw that kind of money at a guy like Richards. The way Lindy rolls 4 lines pretty evenly, it might not even be our best option.
Yeah. See the thing that makes me pessimistic about that happening is that Regier has never been known to throw that kind of money at someone, but the truth is know one knows what his real mindset is now that he can spend to the cap.

Maximrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:49 PM
rabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Is there any kind of consensus on what Richards might be looking for this summer?
7 years, $50-60Million

rabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 03:44 PM
The Big Chill

Send a message via AIM to The Big Chill
I'd give him all the money he wants if he would ever come here. He's the kind of high-profile center this team is missing. We win a cup with a Richards-Roy center combo, a flourishing (next year, I believe this year is just a sophomore slump although he's improving) Tyler Myers on the back end, and Ryan Miller in goal.

oh...and Vanek definitely scores 50-60 goals with Richards as his center pivot.

The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Sabretip

Quote:

$7 million cap hit for 5 years?

Looks like he turns 31 in May... not sure how much farther we'd realistically want to go out.
That's my take on it - from what I've heard from Pegula and knowing what Regier's stance in the past has been about long-term deals, I have a feeling that salary won't be as big a stumbling block for the Sabres if they pursue Richards as it will be length of the contract. Even for young guys like Roy, a 6-year deal seemed like Regier was stretching his confort zone on guaranteed contracts - not to mention his criticism of all the other teams that handed out 8-10+ year deals. I don't think that had much to do with the last ownership as much as it did with what Regier believes in. I could see him trying to get Richards to accept 5-6 years as a max and bumping the dollars up to the $8-8.5M range if need be.

Then again, Gleason made a good point in one recent article when he pointed out how so many of the long-term deals around the NHL are front-loaded. Granted, the league cracked down on what some teams did but there's probably some latitude for the Sabres on Richards if they structure it incrementally

Yr. 1 - $8.5M
Yr. 2 - $8.0M
Yr. 3 - $6.5M
Yr. 4 - $6.0M
Yr. 5 - $5.0M
Yr. 6 - $4.5M
Cap Hit = $6.42M

Old
03-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I'd give him all the money he wants if he would ever come here. He's the kind of high-profile center this team is missing. We win a cup with a Richards-Roy center combo, a flourishing (next year, I believe this year is just a sophomore slump although he's improving) Tyler Myers on the back end, and Ryan Miller in goal.

oh...and Vanek definitely scores 50-60 goals with Richards as his center pivot.
Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.

Old
03-05-2011, 01:46 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
STAR-TELEGRAM.COM: Jennifer Floyd Engel recently reported on how the financial problems of the Dallas Stars have affected management’s efforts to re-sign Brad Richards. noting re-signing him before an owner is in place is a “non-starter”. She now fears the Stars will lose Richards for nothing this summer because the chances of the team’s lenders letting the league find the best owner for the Stars and not simply the biggest pile of cash is nil.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: They retained him because they couldn’t get the return they wanted plus their playoff hopes are better with him in the lineup than without. As for this summer, if there’s no owner in place by July 1st, Richards is a goner.
And on a related note for the Drury fans (of which I am one):

Quote:
NORTHJERSEY.COM: Andrew Gross recently reported NY Rangers GM Glen Sather said he didn’t think team captain Chris Drury could be counted on to return before the end of the season. Gross suggested Drury may have played his final game as a Rangers as Sather may have to consider buying out the final year of Drury’s contract, especially if the Rangers hope to sign Brad Richards this summer.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Because Drury’s contract is front-loaded the cap hit to buy out his final season would be over $3.7 million for next season and over $1.66 million for 2012-13. Wouldn’t surprise me if Sather goes that route as Drury’s career seems all but over at this point.
http://spectorshockey.net/2011/03/nh...-march-2-2011/

Old
03-05-2011, 07:33 AM
oldgoalie
In rebuild hell

Quote:
And on a related note for the Drury fans (of which I am one):

http://spectorshockey.net/2011/03/nh...-march-2-2011/
I wonder what this team would have done for the last few seasons if Drury would have stayed on here. I'll be sad if it is the end of his career.

oldgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 07:43 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Yr. 1 - $8.5M
Yr. 2 - $8.0M
Yr. 3 - $6.5M
Yr. 4 - $6.0M
Yr. 5 - $5.0M
Yr. 6 - $4.5M
Cap Hit = $6.42M
Done, done, and done.

And nothing lost in trade.

Old
03-05-2011, 07:45 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoalie View Post
I wonder what this team would have done for the last few seasons if Drury would have stayed on here. I'll be sad if it is the end of his career.
Imagine if Pegula would have bought the team instead of Golisano, or taken over during the lockout.

I haven't seen Drury at all this year, but if he still has anything left in the tank, I would consider taking him on re-entry waivers or a cheap contract if he's bought out, if we can get the bigger deal for a #1 center done.

Richards
Roy
Drury
McCormick

(Goose moved to play wing but still takes faceoffs)

Old
03-05-2011, 07:55 AM
OcAirlines

Quote:
Imagine if Pegula would have bought the team instead of Golisano, or taken over during the lockout.

I haven't seen Drury at all this year, but if he still has anything left in the tank, I would consider taking him on re-entry waivers or a cheap contract if he's bought out, if we can get the bigger deal for a #1 center done.

Richards
Roy
Drury
McCormick

(Goose moved to play wing but still takes faceoffs)
You mean if Pegula had already been here we would've give Drury 7 million ?
Maybe it's because i wasn't following the Sabres back then, but i still don't get why so many fans want Drury back. Maybe he was a good player and captain in Buffalo, but he wasn't worth the money he got from New York and i don't think he would've signed at a severe discount like 5,5 or 6 million to stay in Buffalo. Just imagine another underperforming offensive player getting Vanek-money .

But i think that whole discussion is a bit off-topic. About Richards: I don't see any chance we get him, if we don't severely overpay (something around 8 million, which will never happen). I would love him here, but it won't happen, getting a Top-Line-Center via Trade is more likely.

OcAirlines is online now   Reply With Quote