HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBC Players Poll: TM "Easy Coach to Play for"

Old
02-01-2011, 01:40 AM
sjmay*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
Simi's ice is good until you get to the zamboni end on the NHL rink, at that point just give up and let the other guy break his stick trying to get the puck out of the divot there. Also, is there a colder rink than Simi Valley?
Old Ontario rink not sure if it's still there,

Norwalk gets pretty cold, again not sure if it's still there,

Culver City in the morning got pretty darn cold as well lol

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:15 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Forgot about the "Matchbox" (pasadena) horrible, and I do remember liking Pickwick (Burbank) Good. Paramount always seemed soft to me although with its huge size i had some of my best offensive games there.

Ziggy, you mentioned Snoopy's. Have you ever played in the over-40 Tournament?
The ice was good, but its so weird playing without glass, shots were limited to knee high slappers, nothing higher.

I laugh everytime I think about Norwalk. The big wall on one side and low wall (or is it high benches). I remember in one game at least half our team stumbled jumping on the ice.

And I dont recall Simi being as cold as Culver often is. It was 48 in there Sunday.

And what discussion of crappy So Cal ice rinks would be complete without mentioning the old meat locker (it really was an old meat locker) on Calvert in Van Nuys right near the court house. We'd have to put cones over the holes where the ceiling leaked when it rained, and one side of the rink, (the south end) where the zamboni entered, was at least half a foot higher than the other actually forcing you to skate uphill into the zone. Its still there, owned by russians, and some buddies still play there on Saturday mornings. Now that rink was cold.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:17 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

THe three best "ice" surfaces based on general area for me have been up here where it gets dark early stays dark and the ice is a blend so it stays exceptionally hard. It takes getting used to but it is the closest to pro quality ice that I have skated on in a long time.

Washington State has three rinks that are just exceptional as far as the ice surface goes (the shape of one of the rinks left allot to be desired).

Minniemouseotta. All of it. The ice at Shattuk should be banned it is so sweet.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Forgot about the "Matchbox" (pasadena) horrible, and I do remember liking Pickwick (Burbank) Good. Paramount always seemed soft to me although with its huge size i had some of my best offensive games there.

Ziggy, you mentioned Snoopy's. Have you ever played in the over-40 Tournament?
The ice was good, but its so weird playing without glass, shots were limited to knee high slappers, nothing higher.

I laugh everytime I think about Norwalk. The big wall on one side and low wall (or is it high benches). I remember in one game at least half our team stumbled jumping on the ice.

And I dont recall Simi being as cold as Culver often is. It was 48 in there Sunday.

And what discussion of crappy So Cal ice rinks would be complete without mentioning the old meat locker (it really was an old meat locker) on Calvert in Van Nuys right near the court house. We'd have to put cones over the holes where the ceiling leaked when it rained, and one side of the rink, (the south end) where the zamboni entered, was at least half a foot higher than the other actually forcing you to skate uphill into the zone. Its still there, owned by russians, and some buddies still play there on Saturday mornings. Now that rink was cold.
I am ways away from playing in the over 40 tournament, but I am aware that some former Kings players have played in those tournaments. I also recall Pasadena having a dangerous corner that was square rather than rounded. If you threw a check in that corner, it was an automatic penalty.

The rink where Rollerplex used to be (close to Iceoplex) gets pretty cold. Least it was whenever we had to do some work there and spent about 8 hours in there. We had a heat lamp on us off the ice it was so cold.

The rink in Valencia should get some credit for having one of the nicest facilities in all of Cali. Three ice sheets (although one is Pond hockey). I enjoyed playing at the Toyota Sports Center as well.

Every year it seems like we have a discussion on the quality of the ice at Staples. I wonder what players thought of the ice at the Great Western Forum.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 07:55 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Given the Kings lack of speed up front they are probably better off having soft ice. If they had Bure and Mogilny up front you can bet the AC would be turned way down. Might as well keep the fans nice and toasty while the Kings dig the corners for 60 minutes.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Murry is easy to play against too.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:00 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Murry is easy to play against too.
I should have said dig the corners for 65 minutes.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote