HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Greatest Lines in Duck History (1)

View Poll Results: Best Line in Anaheim Ducks' History (#1)
Paul Kariya-Steve Rucchin-Teemu Selanne 43 81.13%
Rob Niedermayer-Steve Rucchin-Mike Leclerc 0 0%
Chris Kunitz-Andy McDonald-Teemu Selanne 0 0%
Travis Moen-Sammy Pahlsson-Rob Niedermayer 4 7.55%
Paul Kariya-Adam Oates-Petr Sykora 1 1.89%
Brad May/Dustin Penner-Ryan Getzlaf-Corey Perry 1 1.89%
Bobby Ryan-Ryan Getzlaf-Corey Perry 4 7.55%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-02-2011, 12:06 AM
Static

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Static
Greatest Lines in Duck History (1)

Options:

1) Paul Kariya-Steve Rucchin-Teemu Selanne
-Obvious candidate; pre-concussion Kariya and Teemu were the best tandem in the NHL with Rucchin providing the backchecking and faceoff prowess needed to keep the puck on his linemates' sticks. Line led the Ducks to their first postseason appearance and series win in 1997.

2) Rob Niedermayer-Steve Rucchin-Mike Leclerc
-Niedermayer was acquired at the trade deadline in 2003 in an effort to add some size and grit to a small Anaheim forward group. Line was the most effective for the Ducks in their surprising run to the Stanley Cup finals.

3) Chris Kunitz-Andy McDonald-Teemu Selanne
-Put together in the middle of the 2006 season, this unlikely trio was Anaheim's most potent line during their cup-winning season. Kunitz provided the grit and net presence despite his smallish stature and let Andy McDonald take over Paul Kariya's old role as Selanne's partner on the ice.

4) Travis Moen-Sammy Pahlsson-Rob Niedermayer
-The greatest checking line in Ducks history, these three shut down the opponents best players and also outscored them in a brilliant cup finals performance. Perhaps Anaheim's best line during their cup winning playoffs.

5) Paul Kariya-Adam Oates-Petr Sykora
-Led the Ducks in scoring during their 2003 season in which they made the playoffs for the first time since 1999. The line had several standout moments in the team's playoff run as well, with both Kariya and Sykora scoring long OT winners.

6) Brad May/Dustin Penner-Ryan Getzlaf-Corey Perry
-The "kid line" during their 2007 cup winning season with both Brad May and Dustin Penner spending time on the twins' left wing. The quadruplets provided much needed physicality, skill, and energy to a Ducks team comprised mostly of veteran players.

7) Bobby Ryan-Ryan Getzlaf-Corey Perry
-No longer understudies, this trio became one of hockey's best after Bobby Ryan enjoyed a breakout season in 2009. The line not only carried the team into the playoffs down the stretch, but also to a shocking playoff upset of the President's trophy winning San Jose Sharks.

These were the best that I can remember, and I'll also be doing a defensive duo poll.

Last edited by Static: 02-02-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:31 AM
Sirquacksalot
¡Viva Los Patos!

I don't think you need a defensive poll. Its clearly Niedermeyer-Pronger, granted they didn't play together all the time, but when they did there was no one better in the NHL. Period.

Sirquacksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:38 AM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Statistically its Kariya-Rucc-Selanne, but I think Moen-Pahlsson-Niedermayer is the greatest in terms of what they accomplished. The Ducks don't win the cup without them.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:52 AM
Paul4587

Kariya - Rucchin - Selanne were something else. Kariya and Selanne were absolutely dominant together. Both were consistently in the top 10 in scoring, posting multiple 50 goal, 100 point seasons between them. Rucchin was one of the better two way forwards in the NHL and complemented the duo perfectly, giving the line some much needed grit and defensive presence.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:53 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper35 View Post
I don't think you need a defensive poll. Its clearly Niedermeyer-Pronger, granted they didn't play together all the time, but when they did there was no one better in the NHL. Period.
If the poll is made of consistent pairings then it wouldn't be so close. Niedermayer played with Beauchemin 95% of the time, while Pronger was paired with O'Donnell for the most part.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:18 AM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper35 View Post
I'm actually curious to see the results of a Niedermayer versus Pronger debate since they didn't really play with each other.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:40 AM
Doothpick
RIP Ruslan Salei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Kariya - Rucchin - Selanne were something else. Kariya and Selanne were absolutely dominant together. Both were consistently in the top 10 in scoring, posting multiple 50 goal, 100 point seasons between them. Rucchin was one of the better two way forwards in the NHL and complemented the duo perfectly, giving the line some much needed grit and defensive presence.
This. People often talk about what if Teemu and Kariya had a more offensive-minded center and all that, but what people fail to mention (remember) is that Rucchin really created space for Teemu and Kariya to do their thing. Rucchin was exactly the kind of guy you wanted to put between those two guys. Sure he wasn't the most effective point producer, but he brought a lot of different elements to that line, and for the most part that kind of play went a little unnoticed.

Doothpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:56 AM
Fighter
Soviet Duck

Kariya-Rucchin-Selanne gets away with it, they were the reason why I started to cheer for Anaheim.

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 02:25 AM
S.S. Giggy
RIP 1974-2011

If I was GM, I'd build my team around PPG. That line was dominant in the 07 playoffs. Those 3 would just keep the puck in the offensive zone for all eternity in there generating humongous chances. They were big, had hands of feathers, and they were all able to possess the puck for extended periods of time, and they all had chemistry with each other. It's just too bad that Burke screwed up on the Penner signing leaving him open to that offer sheet which Burke, in response, signed a washed up Todd Bertuzzi to virtually the same money when he could've had a chance to keep Penner here.

If PPG played the 08 season out together, I think they'd all hit at least 70 points each.

S.S. Giggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 03:04 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

RPG is the only F trio in NHL history, that won all three stars on the ''players of the week'', voted for them. But, well, that Kariya - Rucchin - Teemu line was probably our best one, though.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 06:54 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Kariya-Ruccin-Selanne

Moen-Pahlsson-Rob Niedermayer

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Bjindaho

Where`s the love for Cheesy - God - Stumpy?

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:33 AM
SmackCrackleNPop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
Where`s the love for Cheesy - God - Stumpy?
That was one of my favorite lines that run. Still wish we won the Cup for Thomas. Chistov actually looked great that year.

It seemed like that team had pretty underrated talent on all their lines so that Chistov Thomas Pahlsson line surprised folks.

SmackCrackleNPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Elvs

vCash: 708
It's difficult to compare the checkingline to the others obviously...

Kariya - Rucchin - Selanne is obviously the best Ducks line in history. Kariya/Selanne is one of the most feared duos in modern NHL history, period. They should get all votes.

Kunitz - McDonald - Selanne is my 2nd (tribute to this line coming!).

Last edited by Elvs: 02-02-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:43 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

I went with Travis Moen-Sammy Pahlsson-Rob Niedermayer because without that line we don't win the Cup.

TheFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 07:12 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Kariya-Oates-Sykora seems a little out of place compared to the others. I dig the inclusion of Niedermayer-Rucchin-Leclerc. That was the forward line that most contributed in 03. Although that run was really all about Jiggy.

I'm gonna have to go with the God line for #2. That line is actually in the running for #1 for me, although Kariya-Rucchin-Selanne probably still wins. Keep in mind that Kariya-Selanne was in the middle of the trap/LW lock era. 100 points in 1998 > 100 points in 2010.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote