HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should we be sellers?

Old
02-11-2011, 05:47 AM
Habsrule

vCash: 500
Should we be sellers?

I posted pretty much this thread a month ago and took a lot of flack about it. I do feel as if we can make the playoffs with this team but not be able to do any damage. If the Habs make it in the playoffs they will be the #6-8 seed. That would set them up to play any of Philly, Tampa, Boston, Washington or Pittsburgh. Yes we could technically beat any of those teams but I feel as if they would give us a whole hand full.

I am not saying that we should do a total rebuild and dump everyone off and get picks and prospects. I just say that the Habs should make trades to pick up good young players or tougher players with skill to build the team for next year.

Players that I could see being traded:

Kostitsyn(has been in the dog house quite a bit and is still young enough to get interest from other teams)
Gomez(just see if you can unload his contract any way)
Hamrlik(if he is not in the plans for next year might as well trade him for something rather than letting him walk or retire)
Halpern(upcoming UFA and I highly doubt that he will be back next year as a Hab)
Spacek(has one more year left at 3.8 million)
Moen(yes he is the type of player we need but someone may pay a decent price for him and White can replace him next year)
Picard(just see if any team needs a 7th D man for very little)
Gill(upcoming UFA who could help a team for a playoff run)
Pyatt(sorry but I see him as having rookies pass him on the depth chart for next year)
Auld(just if a playoff team needs a 3rd string goalie incase of injuries)

What do you guys think?

Habsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 05:51 AM
ReVeuF

Will not happen, especially for Gomez, the only solution is to Reddenize him.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 05:55 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
you guys only need to look to last year.

If you make the playoffs, anything is possible.
The habs may not look like contenders right now, but they look like a team that will make the playoffs. That's all that matters. As long as you have a realistic chance at the playoffs, you should go for it.

If you dont think the team can go deep, dont be buyers, but being a seller is strictly for teams that wont make the playoffs.

02-11-2011, 06:00 AM
shutehinside

That's not a rebuild. It's tweaking a line up.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 06:02 AM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

Why would we be sellers? We're still in a pretty good spot in the standings and all of this without players like Markov, Gorges, Cammalleri... We're missing arguably our 2 best defensemen and our top scorer. I'm quite surprised this team has as many points as they do.

As long as we have a chance at getting into the playoffs, I say just go for it. Look at last year, we we're apparently scheduled to go out in the 1st round in 4 or 5 games, yet we ended up going all the way to the ECF. Anything can happen in the playoffs. I don't like our chances if we get matched up against the Flyers, they have crazy amount of skill and size on that team which I don't think is possible for us to compete against in a 7 game series, but the other teams I'd say we'd have a 50/50 chance of winning.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 06:04 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

it woult take a hell of a retarded GM to sell while his team is 6th in the conference...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 06:19 AM
CrazyShea

We're going to make the playoffs so there's no point in being a seller. Stay the same at the deadline or make a good trade if possible. I wouldn't sell the farm and go all in this year with Markov and Gorges out. Only team I would be worried about playing is the Flyers and if the Devils go on a miracle run and make it since we never beat them. We're only 3 points behind the Bruins for the Northeast and I hope we face them first round.

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 06:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsrule View Post
I posted pretty much this thread a month ago and took a lot of flack about it. I do feel as if we can make the playoffs with this team but not be able to do any damage. If the Habs make it in the playoffs they will be the #6-8 seed. That would set them up to play any of Philly, Tampa, Boston, Washington or Pittsburgh. Yes we could technically beat any of those teams but I feel as if they would give us a whole hand full.

I am not saying that we should do a total rebuild and dump everyone off and get picks and prospects. I just say that the Habs should make trades to pick up good young players or tougher players with skill to build the team for next year.

Players that I could see being traded:

Kostitsyn(has been in the dog house quite a bit and is still young enough to get interest from other teams)
Gomez(just see if you can unload his contract any way)
Hamrlik(if he is not in the plans for next year might as well trade him for something rather than letting him walk or retire)
Halpern(upcoming UFA and I highly doubt that he will be back next year as a Hab)
Spacek(has one more year left at 3.8 million)
Moen(yes he is the type of player we need but someone may pay a decent price for him and White can replace him next year)
Picard(just see if any team needs a 7th D man for very little)
Gill(upcoming UFA who could help a team for a playoff run)
Pyatt(sorry but I see him as having rookies pass him on the depth chart for next year)
Auld(just if a playoff team needs a 3rd string goalie incase of injuries)

What do you guys think?
Only in HF is this remotely even mentionned as a good idea.

Last year's playoffs prive that #6-7-8 seeds have a very good chance at advancing.

Most of the guys you are proposing we deal would possibly not bring us anything that would be an NHL player(low pick or C prospect) and leave a hole on this year's team, so we'd be shooting ourselves in the foor this year with possibly no upside long term...brilliant!!

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 06:30 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

this thread title is retarded
two not so great games now this?
no the habs shouldnt be sellers
and besides no one will take any of that crap you listed

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 06:37 AM
WestIslander

I would attempt to sell the following players:

- Kostitsyn
- Gomez
- Weber
- Spacek
- Pyatt

Personally, I don't see Kostitsyn here much longer and as for the rest it's hit or miss, teams may be interested in Pyatt and Weber though.

Next years top six if there is a god:

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gionta
Cammalleri - UFA - UFA
Pouliot - Desharnais - White
UFA - Eller - Moen

Markov - Wisniewski
Gorges - Subban
Gill - UFA

Price
UFA

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 06:54 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post

What's even more retarded is that the Habs are still very close to the Ruins who just lost Savard for the whole season, and yet the OP can see the future and says "if the Habs make the playoffs, they will be 6-8 seed".

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:22 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
What's even more retarded is that the Habs are still very close to the Ruins who just lost Savard for the whole season, and yet the OP can see the future and says "if the Habs make the playoffs, they will be 6-8 seed".

The Bruins seems to be our most likely opponent at this stage even if the Habs could somehow win the division once Cammalleri is back.

I didn't rule out the Habs winning the division. However, if we won the division, despite us having a streaky team with subpar D, the Bruins could find themselves being 6th or so.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:41 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

I don't understand why a GM sitting firmly in sixth place would become sellers. The team has been missing its best player all year. Gorges was also lost. Cammalleri is out. The gratitude that you show players like Hamrlik, Gill, Halpern, Auld, Spacek is "thanks for your services but you guys suck and won't get us past the first round so thanks and goodbye". I'm talking about players who have played important roles in helping the Habs maintain sixth and in some cases helped keep this team afloat enough to get a sniff of the ECF last year? That's the gratitude you show to Pleks, Gionta, Price - guys that work their butts off game in an game out? And what about those fans? LOL

Geez anything can happen in the playoffs but the key is to at least be there when it happens. Other teams suffer catastrophic injuries, other teams can go into funky slumps.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:42 AM
psychonaut

People forget how important any kind of playoffs experience is good for young players and we have many of them so you have to make the playoffs even if your not a "contender".

We can't get rid of any of the D-men because we are lacking in that department. There goes 2/3 the list. Kost is the only one, not sure any GM would be looking at him to make his push, but prob in the summer time.

Teams we can beat in a 7 game series:
Wash (would not be easy but last year )
Pitt (No Malkin, maybe Crosby)
NY
Carolina
Tampa (great team, but we COULD beat them)
Boston(Great team but would could beat them)
Philly(Nope we are ****) lol OK anything could happen lol

So looking this way I say we have 50% chance of getting past the 1st round its pretty good experience for Price Subban, Plek ect...

psychonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:43 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
So basically you are agreeing with the OP? You're saying no one will take our crap, so if we could move them at the deadline your basically agreeing with him to move those players you call crap. We are not sellers but if someone wants Spacek for a pick let's say, we don't need to be sellers to get rid of a player we don't want coming back next year, that's what the OP is trying to say

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:43 AM
canadianeh

It's a pretty tough call.

You can't throw away a season lightly. Especially just because you've had a couple bad games in a row. As shown last year by us AND philly, just get in the playoffs and anything can happen, especially if you have a great goalie.
HOWEVER...

There's some serious concerns that lead me not to toally discredit this thread:

1- who have 2 kinds of Dmen right now. Old and Green. The loss of Markov and Gorges may have been ok for a bit, but i'm thinking the old guys are wearing down now, and that is causing the younger guys mistakes to be more pronounced.

2- This team, as it's put together, probably can't beat Boston or Philly in a 7 game series. There's a reason we were able to upset Pitt and washington last year... they are skill teams that we could match up with. But the size/skill of Boston and Philly means they can just roll us.

I think the answer is no for now. you need to keep battling. But the problem is, do you mortgage some of your future in order to try to sneak into the playoffs by overpaying for help now? I'm ot sure there are moves to be made that will make a big enough difference.

If they lose a couple more games ina row and start to falter, I might be inclined to make some sellers moves:

-Eller needs to be in the AHL (like Patches)
-Gomez needs to be dealth with. (I support the AHL idea)
-Trade AK at the deadline.
-Make the decision on Weber. If he's part of the future, keep him, if he's not, deal him.
-Time to move on from Hamerlik/Spacek/Gill/Picard. some or all if you can get soemthing for them.
-If someone wants to give you value for Moen or Pyatt fine. But otherwise I'm all for keeping them for the 4th line.
- I'm resigning Halpern and Benny. Desharnais stays on the 3rd line too.
Cammy, Gionta, Patches, Pleks. you've

SO next year you need top 6 fowads with size and skill: no small task.

Gionta-Pleks-Cammy
Patches-???-???
Pouliot-Desharnais-Darche
White/Pyatt-Halpern-Moen

A D overhaul:
Subban is the one constant.
I resign Markov, Gorges, Wiz.
Keep Weber as a 7th.
Either keep 1 of Gill/Spacek/Hammer and a defensive Dman as a FA. Or 2 FA dmen.

So:
Subban-Markov
Gorges-Wiz
Hammer/Spacek/Gill-???
Weber

Price
cheap Backup

canadianeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:46 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post

- Kostitsyn
- Gomez
- Weber
- Spacek
- Pyatt

Personally, I don't see Kostitsyn here much longer and as for the rest it's hit or miss, teams may be interested in Pyatt and Weber though.

Cammalleri - UFA - UFA
UFA - Eller - Moen

Markov - Wisniewski
Gorges - Subban
Gill - UFA

Price
UFA
I still think Weber can be at least as good, if not better than Subban. Not joking. He's a smarter player, as far as I'm concerned. Weber is like the Koivu to Subban's Kovalev, if that makes sense.

I prefer Hamrlik to Gill.

If someone is interested in Pyatt for a good price, great. If not there is no harm keeping a very good defensive forward on a dirt cheap contract for the #13 spot.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Stubbs88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
Why would we be sellers? We're still in a pretty good spot in the standings and all of this without players like Markov, Gorges, Cammalleri... We're missing arguably our 2 best defensemen and our top scorer. I'm quite surprised this team has as many points as they do.

As long as we have a chance at getting into the playoffs, I say just go for it. Look at last year, we we're apparently scheduled to go out in the 1st round in 4 or 5 games, yet we ended up going all the way to the ECF. Anything can happen in the playoffs. I don't like our chances if we get matched up against the Flyers, they have crazy amount of skill and size on that team which I don't think is possible for us to compete against in a 7 game series, but the other teams I'd say we'd have a 50/50 chance of winning.
I made a huge reply to this thread, then accidentally erased it all. But it was basically this.

This guy knows what he was talking about.

Stubbs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:59 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
So basically you are agreeing with the OP? You're saying no one will take our crap, so if we could move them at the deadline your basically agreeing with him to move those players you call crap. We are not sellers but if someone wants Spacek for a pick let's say, we don't need to be sellers to get rid of a player we don't want coming back next year, that's what the OP is trying to say
If somebody offers you a pick for Spacek, chances are you use the cap room and add another d-man(big stay at home) with that cap room so it's not necessarily a "seller" move at the end of the day. A true seller move would be trading Wisniewski or Hamrlik.

Old
02-11-2011, 08:01 AM
llamateizer

we're 6th
i understand that we have little chances to win stanley cup

but wanting to be seller is an atrocious idea.

right now, we would've played against the bruins. you dont want this?
you prefer missing the playoffs? you hated what happened to the habs last season?

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post

- Kostitsyn
- Gomez
- Weber
- Spacek
- Pyatt

Cammalleri - UFA - UFA
UFA - Eller - Moen

Markov - Wisniewski
Gorges - Subban
Gill - UFA

Price
UFA
Why would you even attempt to trade Weber? He's young and one of our top defensemen. IMHO I would need a crazy offer to move him. The way Wisniewski is playing I'd let him walk at the end of the year and use Weber Subban and Markov(assuming he checks out physically) as my 3 skill d-men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
we're 6th
i understand that we have little chances to win stanley cup

but wanting to be seller is an atrocious idea.

right now, we would've played against the bruins. you dont want this?
you prefer missing the playoffs? you hated what happened to the habs last season?
But any team not winning the cup should be sellers!!! Phillie and the Habs were huge failures last year, not selling and not winning the cup.

Old
02-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
But any team not winning the cup should be sellers!!! Phillie and the Habs were huge failures last year, not selling and not winning the cup.
But I'm not sure if you understand, if the Habs take a decision now going forward that they don't wanna sign Hamrlik next year, they don't want Gill back, they really have no interest in bringing back Kostitsyn and don't want him in the future etc etc. and we are offered a good young player(who is playing in the NHL) or good draft picks, how is that bad? We are giving up on the season because we are trading a Hall Gill or Spacek type player? Please.....

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:15 AM
llamateizer

We should not be buyers.
but we should not be sellers too.

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:25 AM
Habsrule

I am the OP and let me explain a little bit further.

Right now we are a borderline playoff team. Last year we were a borderline playoff team. The year before that we were a borderline playoff team. Heck the last five years we were a borderline playoff team.

What will it take to get out of that cycle. We will not be drafting a top ten pick for the next while so we have no real potential star players in the forseable future. The only we draft one is if a player slips to us or we get lucky and draft a guy in a later round who turns out to be great.

With that being said we are just spinning our wheels now. I think that for a long while we will be #6-8 playoff team and have this very conversation year in and year out. Might as well make a change and go one step back to go two steps forward.

Habsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:29 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsrule View Post
I am the OP and let me explain a little bit further.

Right now we are a borderline playoff team. Last year we were a borderline playoff team. The year before that we were a borderline playoff team. Heck the last five years we were a borderline playoff team.

What will it take to get out of that cycle. We will not be drafting a top ten pick for the next while so we have no real potential star players in the forseable future. The only we draft one is if a player slips to us or we get lucky and draft a guy in a later round who turns out to be great.

With that being said we are just spinning our wheels now. I think that for a long while we will be #6-8 playoff team and have this very conversation year in and year out. Might as well make a change and go one step back to go two steps forward.
Wether you think it would be a good strategy or not... in the whole history of the NHL, can you find ONE team having a playoff spot at the deadline who were sellers ???

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote