HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs could be interested in Phillips and Kaberle(Per Lebrun)

Old
02-06-2011, 09:08 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
When you see guys like BobbyMac saying all it will take is a second rounder to get Phillips, the asking price has to be the same for Kaberle. We don't have the second anymore because of the trade with NY, but we do have other picks and some prospects we can send if PG wants to make that an offer to a team like the Leafs starved for picks and the Sens who are looking to rebuild.
im not trying to troll, but really? Kaberle and Phillips worth around the same? This season Kaberle has been better both offensively and defensively and would be 3rd in points on your team. Unless you add something significant to that 2nd your not getting Kaberle.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:11 AM
RE-HABS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
im not trying to troll, but really? Kaberle and Phillips worth around the same? This season Kaberle has been better both offensively and defensively and would be 3rd in points on your team. Unless you add something significant to that 2nd your not getting Kaberle.
I'm not saying it, the top Insiders are saying it. I think Leaf fans are in the dark if they still think they are going to get a lot for Kaberle. He is a pending UFA, he can walk. You couldn't get a top pick and prospect the past two years for him while he had 1 and 2 years on a guaranteed contract, your not going to get that now either.

Habs and Bruins will not over pay within their own division for Kaberle, and the Bruins aren't send one of their 1st back for him either.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Andy

Kaberle would be expensive. But having him play here with his best buddy Plekanec would be a huge influence in having him sign with us.

But we'd have to move a little more to fit him under the cap. Since Burke has a soft spot for bigger/tougher players

Kristo+Moen for Kaberle IMO.

It's a steep price, but the Habs are unsure about Markov, Kaberle is the closest thing you can get to a replacement and replacing top 10 PPQ and PMD is not the easiest thing to do the nhl. I'd be willing to bite the bullet for Kaberle. No doubt he'd sign here, he tried to get Plekanec to sign in Toronto.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:13 AM
TheBuriedHab

Go for phillips. I'm scared to think of what Burke wants for Kaberle.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:14 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
I'm sure a team will offer a nice package for Kaberle. It may not be what Leafs fans think he's worth, but it will be appropriate for the current market demand. I've said it time and again, I want Kaberle to stay in TO so the B's don't get another top 5 pick.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:15 AM
David_99

If the Leafs want a prospect, they can have Maxwell. Grabovski worked out well for them.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Andy

Quote:
I'm not saying it, the top Insiders are saying it. I think Leaf fans are in the dark if they still think they are going to get a lot for Kaberle. He is a pending UFA, he can walk. You couldn't get a top pick and prospect the past two years for him while he had 1 and 2 years on a guaranteed contract, your not going to get that now either.

Habs and Bruins will not over pay within their own division for Kaberle, and the Bruins aren't send one of their 1st back for him either.
I think the tough situation for both Burke and Murray is that both Kaberle and Phillips have NTC, so what if they agree to only waive that clause for particular teams (Montreal Boston) wouldn't that limit the return value?

I'm saying the above assuming I know how a NTC works, which I don't. Do players waive it for specific teams to be traded to or is that once it's lifted it's fair game for any team?

Because in the case of Phillips, I really don't see him moving far from his family which would give the edge to Montreal.

Also last point. It's pretty obvious that Gauthier wants to add another piece to the blue line as an addition roster spot, while trying to swap top 6 for top 6 forward(ala Pouliot-Latendresse) to try to improve the offense.

Old
02-06-2011, 09:20 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I think the tough situation for both Burke and Murray is that both Kaberle and Phillips have NTC, so what if they agree to only waive that clause for particular teams (Montreal Boston) wouldn't that limit the return value?

I'm saying the above assuming I know how a NTC works, which I don't. Do players waive it for specific teams to be traded to or is that once it's lifted it's fair game for any team?

Because in the case of Phillips, I really don't see him moving far from his family which would give the edge to Montreal.

Also last point. It's pretty obvious that Gauthier wants to add another piece to the blue line as an addition roster spot, while trying to swap top 6 for top 6 forward(ala Pouliot-Latendresse) to try to improve the offense.
Some GM's will approach players with a NTC and ask them if they were to get a trade done what teams would they accept a trade too. Other GM's go and make a deal and then ask the player if they are willing to lift that NTC to go to the other team.

It is tricky. But, more times than not I would believe the player would have more power than that of the GM and this would also lessen the value a GM could get in return as the GM dealing for him knows he has more bargaining power because of the player already agreeing to go there and not elsewhere (or on a couple of teams).

Old
02-06-2011, 09:20 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Kaberle would be expensive. But having him play here with his best buddy Plekanec would be a huge influence in having him sign with us.

But we'd have to move a little more to fit him under the cap. Since Burke has a soft spot for bigger/tougher players

Kristo+Moen for Kaberle IMO.

It's a steep price, but the Habs are unsure about Markov, Kaberle is the closest thing you can get to a replacement and replacing top 10 PPQ and PMD is not the easiest thing to do the nhl. I'd be willing to bite the bullet for Kaberle. No doubt he'd sign here, he tried to get Plekanec to sign in Toronto.
Why would the Leafs want half a year of Moen? If you think that's a "steep" price for Kaberle, your in for a reality check.

Kristo and a first would be my offer.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Why would the Leafs want half a year of Moen? If you think that's a "steep" price for Kaberle, your in for a reality check.

Moen is signed passed this year. He makes 1.5 million. Freeing up that salary will be a good thing considering the price bottom 6 players go for now. Also considering we have Enqvist and White who have shown good things. With the clearing of Moen's salary we'd be able to bring in the two aforementioned players for less than what he'd be earning.

Kristo+ Moen for Kaberle and then resign him immediately.

Old
02-06-2011, 09:24 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post

Your not going to get a top 10 prospect and a first rounder from the Habs for Kaberle.

Moen would be a full year, he has another year under contract. I know that probably wouldn't work in a trade for Kaberle, but Burke had him in Anaheim and may take him along with another prospect like a Maxwell who can play centre on a centre starved team.

Old
02-06-2011, 09:26 AM
FF de Mars

I wouldn't mind Kaberle, but I'd rather have Phillips who would come cheaper and replace Gorges blocking shots. Weber, Subban and Wiz gives us three Dman that can handle offense. Finally, I really hope we re-sign Markov, who is a notch over Kaberle. The Wiz had three knee operations, it gives me hope for Markov.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Andy

Quote:
Your not going to get a top 10 prospect and a first rounder from the Habs for Kaberle.

Moen would be a full year, he has another year under contract. I know that probably wouldn't work in a trade for Kaberle, but Burke had him in Anaheim and may take him along with another prospect like a Maxwell who can play centre on a centre starved team.
I really don't see Burke settling for less than a prospect who can actually play past the bottom 6. I really don't.

Kristo+Moen for Kaberle.

I know people are pretty high on Kristo, but with Markov's uncertainty in the future and Kaberle's relationship with Plekanec make it worth the risk because I really do think Kaberle would sign here this summer.

If that happens(Kaberle signing early and not waiting for UFA) and we've committed to not bringing back Markov(though I wish that would never happen) then we can always move Markov's rights as he would be without a doubt the best UFA (d-man) on the market by far. You are getting a top 10 defensemen in the nhl when healthy, someone will take the risk.

Old
02-06-2011, 09:35 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
I really don't see Burke settling for less than a prospect who can actually play past the bottom 6. I really don't.

Kristo+Moen for Kaberle.

I know people are pretty high on Kristo, but with Markov's uncertainty in the future and Kaberle's relationship with Plekanec make it worth the risk because I really do think Kaberle would sign here this summer.

If that happens(Kaberle signing early and not waiting for UFA) and we've committed to not bringing back Markov(though I wish that would never happen) then we can always move Markov's rights as he would be without a doubt the best UFA (d-man) on the market by far. You are getting a top 10 defensemen in the nhl when healthy, someone will take the risk.
Kaberle is a good Dman, but he isn't as good both ways as a Markov is. Plus Markov is more of a shooter than Kaberle too, along with the same abilities of quarterbacking the play. Markov's health is a question mark, but an overpayment isn't required when you have a Subban already stepping up and having the potential of Weber coming into his own too.

The only way I see PG doing such a trade would be that he is writing Markov off, or he thinks he can have Markov back at a one year to prove he can play along with a signed Kaberle too.

Markov - Gorges
Subban - Kaberle
Wiz - Weber

That D is soft and small next year, except for Gorges, Wiz and Subban.

Old
02-06-2011, 09:37 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Neither Kaberle or Phillips are players they once were. Not sure on this one. I'd rather just take a Allen. He wouldn't cost as much to acquire and fills a more specific need

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Miller Time

depends on the asking price...

both would be appealing, for different reasons, but I'd slightly prefer phillips (assuming we were going to extend him prior to July 1st). With Subban, Weber and hopefully Markov, we have more of a need for a player like Phillips (physical, shut-down, gritty) than Kaberle...

that said, it never hurts to add the most skill possible.

Markov- Subban
Gorges- Kaberle
Spacek- Weber
Gill

or

Markov- Gorges
Phillips- Subban
Spacek- Weber
Gill

both options would be pretty exciting going into next season...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:42 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
depends on the asking price...

both would be appealing, for different reasons, but I'd slightly prefer phillips (assuming we were going to extend him prior to July 1st). With Subban, Weber and hopefully Markov, we have more of a need for a player like Phillips (physical, shut-down, gritty) than Kaberle...

that said, it never hurts to add the most skill possible.

Markov- Subban
Gorges- Kaberle
Spacek- Weber
Gill

or

Markov- Gorges
Phillips- Subban
Spacek- Weber
Gill

both options would be pretty exciting going into next season...
Both are only 31, so they are in the other side of their careers. But we saw a much older Hamrlik come here and do well. I think both would still be very decent players in their respective roles, but a Phillips fills a need if Gill isn't re-signed along with Hamrlik too.

Old
02-06-2011, 09:51 AM
FF de Mars

Markov-Gorges
Gill-Subban
Weber-Spacek

That's what I'd like to see next season. Phillips would only be a rental, to replace Gorges.

Old
02-06-2011, 09:53 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Markov-Gorges
Gill-Subban
Weber-Spacek

That's what I'd like to see next season. Phillips would only be a rental, to replace Gorges.
Phillips and Kaberle both like the East, I think they could be signed by either team that deals for them.

Old
02-06-2011, 10:00 AM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Phillips and Kaberle both like the East, I think they could be signed by either team that deals for them.
Sure, but the salary cap would be of concern.

Old
02-06-2011, 10:06 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Both are only 31, so they are in the other side of their careers. But we saw a much older Hamrlik come here and do well. I think both would still be very decent players in their respective roles, but a Phillips fills a need if Gill isn't re-signed along with Hamrlik too.
Both are 33 not 31. State the facts.

Chris Phillips (born March 9, 1978)

Tomáš Kaberle (born March 2, 1978)

Although, I think there are a few more years in Kaberle than Phillips. Phillips is on downside of career, Kaberle can play close to his top level for a couple more year

Old
02-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Roulin

I think Phillips would be more useful to this team (and potentially next year's team) than Kaberle. Someone who could take over part of Hamrlik's job at even strength would help more than someone to share offensive responsibilities with Subban and the Wiz, IMO.

People here are talking about Phillips' decline, but to my eye, Kaberle looks like a ghost of his old self, and Phillips looks like a good player on a terrible team. The math agrees that Phillips is holding his own in a tough spot, while Kaberle is not the force he used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Both are 33 not 31. State the facts.

Chris Phillips (born March 9, 1978)
Tomáš Kaberle (born March 2, 1978)
As long as we're nit picking, they are both 32.

Roulin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 11:11 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Neither Kaberle or Phillips are players they once were. Not sure on this one. I'd rather just take a Allen. He wouldn't cost as much to acquire and fills a more specific need
Phillips won't be that expensive really. The difference in price of Phillips and Allen is not big enough that I would want to settle for Allen.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 11:19 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Hockey Central had a story today saying Edmonton Oilers are trying to acquire Chris Phillips. Oilers want a veteran defenseman with all their youth and are dangling Dustin Penner. Remember the Sens tried to acquire Penner once before in the original Heatley trade which he vetoed. So, there is definitely a liking there and Phillips is an Albertan boy. There are some things lining up, however, expect more than two players to go in this trade.

Old
02-06-2011, 11:26 AM
neofury*

I'd want Kaberle.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote