HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wishart, Poulin & Reese recalled

Old
01-31-2011, 09:51 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Wishart, Poulin & Reese recalled

http://twitter.com/NYIslanders/status/32094486351843328

01-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Brunomics

vCash: 500
Poulin, Reese, Wishart Recalled

We all knew Poulin and Reese would be recalled, but Wishart? I wonder why they are recalling him, just a look or is someone else injured?

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:05 AM
TennesseeJedd

Wishart:
Season Team ------------------------------------------ GP G A PTS +/- PIM
2010-11 Regular Season Sound Tigers ---------12 0 5 5 -2 4
2010-11 Regular Season Admirals --------------- 31 4 14 18 13 33

TennesseeJedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:26 AM
4Isles4*

Wishart was playing a little better for northfolk but At least we will get a look at him....I feel that Gillis will be the scratch and Bruno will play on the fourth line.....

4Isles4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:28 AM
IslesNorway

Interesting, but it's probaby just to have a look at him and someone might be carrying something minor.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:40 AM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

I had a feeling Wishart would be called in at some point this season.

Keep in mind our current defense....

Eaton and Mottau are out for the season.

Jurcina is out for another 2 weeks at least.

Striet might be skating but we'd be lucky to see him for 10 games this year.

That leaves the following group....
Andy MacDonald
Travis Hamonic
Radek Martinek
Bruno Gervais
Jack Hillen
Dylan Reese

It will be important to see what we have in Wishart.
Of the group of 6 healthy bodies I can see Martinek being traded at the deadline.

The other reality is that with Jurcina out, there is not "big man" on the blue line, and the Isles need to have that it seems to have a better chance. When Jurcina was in the line up, the team played far better. The same when Sutton was here, and healthy.

Wishart is 6' 4" 215lbs. Also the stats from the Admirals to the Tigers are not the best indicator of the player thus far. The Admirals are a much better team then the Tigers. Plus Wishart is learning a new system and a new team.

I am glad they brought him up. It will give us a look into the player and if he is capable of becoming a legit NHL defenseman.

NOTE: If Wishart plays that give us 3 first round picks from the 2006 draft suited up for the Isles....Okposo (7th) Grabner (14th) and Wishart (16th)

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:58 AM
periferal

Yeah...Just kicking some tires on Wishart. He's not ready (and may never be), but they want to see if he's got some potential.

Another thought...Could be that the reason we want to find out if he's got potential is because another team inquired about him and a trade could be made.

periferal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:04 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
The other reality is that with Jurcina out, there is not "big man" on the blue line, and the Isles need to have that it seems to have a better chance. When Jurcina was in the line up, the team played far better. The same when Sutton was here, and healthy.

Wishart is 6' 4" 215lbs.
Based on reports of his play both in BP and in San Jose's farm before the trade, I don't think Wishart's going to provide the actual physicality that comes with that size to replace Jurcina. Apparently, not using his size is one of the bigger knocks on him.

Of course, the adrenaline will be high in his first game, so you might see Wishart play more physically than he normally would. So depending on how long he's up, you might have to evaluate his actual physical play over the course of multiple games before you can see whether the knock on him in the AHL is warranted or not.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:11 PM
Aucoin3

The Islanders are dead this season. I think they just want to take a peak at their prospects at the NHL level to get a better idea of where they stand. If Snow feels Wishart has 0 chance of making this team next year maybe the offseason is a little different than if he feels he will make the Islanders next year.

I dont think there is much to read into other than a front office and coaching staff getting a sample of what is in the system.

I'm also 99% sure we will see Capuano back as coach next season so this gives him a chance to familiarize himself with Wishart.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:13 PM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
The Islanders are dead this season. I think they just want to take a peak at their prospects at the NHL level to get a better idea of where they stand. If Snow feels Wishart has 0 chance of making this team next year maybe the offseason is a little different than if he feels he will make the Islanders next year.

I dont think there is much to read into other than a front office and coaching staff getting a sample of what is in the system.

I'm also 99% sure we will see Capuano back as coach next season so this gives him a chance to familiarize himself with Wishart.

Sadly, I think you're right and its pretty sickening

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:49 PM
It Was 4 to 1*

i don't think capuano will be back. brad shaw was .500 coach in 05-06 and he wasn't kept

It Was 4 to 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:06 PM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
I had a feeling Wishart would be called in at some point this season.

Keep in mind our current defense....

Eaton and Mottau are out for the season.

Jurcina is out for another 2 weeks at least.

Striet might be skating but we'd be lucky to see him for 10 games this year.

That leaves the following group....
Andy MacDonald
Travis Hamonic
Radek Martinek
Bruno Gervais
Jack Hillen
Dylan Reese

It will be important to see what we have in Wishart.
Of the group of 6 healthy bodies I can see Martinek being traded at the deadline.

Wishart is 6' 4" 215lbs. Also — the stats from the Admirals to the Tigers are not the best indicator of the player thus far. The Admirals are a much better team then the Tigers. Plus Wishart is learning a new system and a new team.

I am glad they brought him up. It will give us a look into the player and if he is capable of becoming a legit NHL defenseman.

NOTE: If Wishart plays — that give us 3 first round picks from the 2006 draft suited up for the Isles....Okposo (7th) Grabner (14th) and Wishart (16th)
Well put. It's interesting that four of those defensemen are FAs (Martinek,Gervais, Hillen & Reese) and there's a good chance none of them will be here next season, so they might as well give Wishart a shot.

All reports say he's not physical at all, but they also said that about Jurcina. Maybe they're bringing him up to teach him to be physical if wants to make it in the NHL.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:33 PM
TennesseeJedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Based on reports of his play both in BP and in San Jose's farm before the trade, I don't think Wishart's going to provide the actual physicality that comes with that size to replace Jurcina. Apparently, not using his size is one of the bigger knocks on him.

Of course, the adrenaline will be high in his first game, so you might see Wishart play more physically than he normally would. So depending on how long he's up, you might have to evaluate his actual physical play over the course of multiple games before you can see whether the knock on him in the AHL is warranted or not.
Jurcina doesn't use his size either, never has so it's not like Wishart has some kind of big physical shoes to fill.

One thing is for sure, as fans we have to keep our expectations realistic on Wishart. With a defense comprised of:

Andy MacDonald
Travis Hamonic
Radek Martinek
Bruno Gervais
Jack Hillen
Dylan Reese

he will be a lot more exposed than if he were partnered with an established partner on defense. Even knowing this I would bet anything that if he struggle you will see the "Wishart suks, Snow got robbed on the Rolli deal" posts in no time, at least that will be common on the IM board.

Old
01-31-2011, 01:57 PM
OlTimeHockey

That goes without saying. We did get robbed until he proves otherwise. Don the line, may we have robbed them, but until then......we can at least say we did better trading Rollie than we did with Wiz.

Which is akin to saying England did better in 1776 than in 1812.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:17 PM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
That goes without saying. We did get robbed until he proves otherwise. Don the line, may we have robbed them, but until then......we can at least say we did better trading Rollie than we did with Wiz.

england did pretty good for itslef in 1812...the did burn washington dc!!!

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:22 PM
Ziggy96
No Sleep 'til...

Quote:

I disagree....they were able to set fire to Washington D.C. in 1812...

oh...I see what you did there

Ziggy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:57 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

What's the point in recalling 2 defensemen? Reese has been horrible during his tenure, I'd just rather see Wishart as the lone guy along with Poulin.

Backhand of Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:07 PM
SnowmustGo*

how did we get from NHL prospects to english-american history?

SnowmustGo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:16 PM
Otto91

Sweet...glad to give Wishart a look and a taste of the bigs......Still hopin to see Ullstrom get a look see in the bigs......I am sure he would look sweet in the middle between Josh B and Comeau....even better let Shremp sit a game or 2 and put Josh in the middle with Comeau and Ullstrom flaggin the wings....

Otto91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:33 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowmustGo View Post
how did we get from NHL prospects to english-american history?
because that is a way more interesting conversation than how good or bad wishart might be

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:35 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
england did pretty good for itslef in 1812...the did burn washington dc!!!
Where's Periferal? Anyone see him yet? I'm worried. I made an ironic comment (not a joke) and I'm seriously worried as he hasn't scoffed at the humor not intended within. If you run into him, give him a hug. He might need it.

Old
02-01-2011, 06:05 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Yeah...Just kicking some tires on Wishart. He's not ready (and may never be), but they want to see if he's got some potential.

Another thought...Could be that the reason we want to find out if he's got potential is because another team inquired about him and a trade could be made.
Could also be they want to see how NHL ready he is so they can test how much we can afford to lose Martinek at the deadline/this summer.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:45 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
test how much we can afford to lose Martinek at the deadline/this summer.
He's already been lost for the past five seasons and NYI haven't done a darn thing about it. I doubt this is the plan.

blitzkriegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:18 PM
OlTimeHockey

I would hate to think what decent to good NHL talent we have is ready for easy pickings because some other underachieving prospect "has done all he could in the AHL" again.

Martinek is a solid NHL player. No chronic injuries, just a ton of injuries all unrelated. Andy Mac, Streit, Martinek and Eaton resemble 4/7th's of a blueline. Why not aspire for reaching 5/7th's instead of 3/7th's? Because as a fanbase, we just gotta pin all our hopes on some kid who can magically erase 17 years of fodder.

As a plea for logic: what has Wishart done to earn NHL icetime?

Old
02-01-2011, 03:04 PM
TennesseeJedd

Quote:
I would hate to think what decent to good NHL talent we have is ready for easy pickings because some other underachieving prospect "has done all he could in the AHL" again.

Martinek is a solid NHL player. No chronic injuries, just a ton of injuries all unrelated. Andy Mac, Streit, Martinek and Eaton resemble 4/7th's of a blueline. Why not aspire for reaching 5/7th's instead of 3/7th's? Because as a fanbase, we just gotta pin all our hopes on some kid who can magically erase 17 years of fodder.

As a plea for logic: what has Wishart done to earn NHL icetime?
Why not? What is there to lose by bringing him up for a cup of coffee? What did Reese do to earn NHL time? How about Matt Martin? Please, he's coming up for a cup of coffee it's not like we are in the thick of a playoff race here folks. In the very least the Islanders get to see how he had been developed in Tampa and see where he is at as a pro player.