HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wishart, Poulin & Reese recalled

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-31-2011, 09:51 AM
  #1
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 18,270
vCash: 50
Wishart, Poulin & Reese recalled

http://twitter.com/NYIslanders/status/32094486351843328

__________________
Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:52 AM
  #2
Brunomics
Registered User
 
Brunomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: North Korea
Posts: 6,213
vCash: 500
Poulin, Reese, Wishart Recalled

We all knew Poulin and Reese would be recalled, but Wishart? I wonder why they are recalling him, just a look or is someone else injured?

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:05 AM
  #3
TennesseeJedd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 434
vCash: 500
Wishart:
Season Team ------------------------------------------ GP G A PTS +/- PIM
2010-11 Regular Season Sound Tigers ---------12 0 5 5 -2 4
2010-11 Regular Season Admirals --------------- 31 4 14 18 13 33

TennesseeJedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:26 AM
  #4
4Isles4*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 763
vCash: 500
Wishart was playing a little better for northfolk but At least we will get a look at him....I feel that Gillis will be the scratch and Bruno will play on the fourth line.....

4Isles4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:28 AM
  #5
IslesNorway
Registered User
 
IslesNorway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Norway
Posts: 3,262
vCash: 500
Interesting, but it's probaby just to have a look at him and someone might be carrying something minor.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:40 AM
  #6
HyeDray
HFB Partner
 
HyeDray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hyde Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,900
vCash: 500
I had a feeling Wishart would be called in at some point this season.

Keep in mind our current defense....

Eaton and Mottau are out for the season.

Jurcina is out for another 2 weeks at least.

Striet might be skating but we'd be lucky to see him for 10 games this year.

That leaves the following group....
Andy MacDonald
Travis Hamonic
Radek Martinek
Bruno Gervais
Jack Hillen
Dylan Reese

It will be important to see what we have in Wishart.
Of the group of 6 healthy bodies I can see Martinek being traded at the deadline.

The other reality is that with Jurcina out, there is not "big man" on the blue line, and the Isles need to have that it seems to have a better chance. When Jurcina was in the line up, the team played far better. The same when Sutton was here, and healthy.

Wishart is 6' 4" 215lbs. Also the stats from the Admirals to the Tigers are not the best indicator of the player thus far. The Admirals are a much better team then the Tigers. Plus Wishart is learning a new system and a new team.

I am glad they brought him up. It will give us a look into the player and if he is capable of becoming a legit NHL defenseman.

NOTE: If Wishart plays that give us 3 first round picks from the 2006 draft suited up for the Isles....Okposo (7th) Grabner (14th) and Wishart (16th)

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:58 AM
  #7
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,270
vCash: 500
Yeah...Just kicking some tires on Wishart. He's not ready (and may never be), but they want to see if he's got some potential.

Another thought...Could be that the reason we want to find out if he's got potential is because another team inquired about him and a trade could be made.

periferal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:04 AM
  #8
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,712
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
The other reality is that with Jurcina out, there is not "big man" on the blue line, and the Isles need to have that it seems to have a better chance. When Jurcina was in the line up, the team played far better. The same when Sutton was here, and healthy.

Wishart is 6' 4" 215lbs.
Based on reports of his play both in BP and in San Jose's farm before the trade, I don't think Wishart's going to provide the actual physicality that comes with that size to replace Jurcina. Apparently, not using his size is one of the bigger knocks on him.

Of course, the adrenaline will be high in his first game, so you might see Wishart play more physically than he normally would. So depending on how long he's up, you might have to evaluate his actual physical play over the course of multiple games before you can see whether the knock on him in the AHL is warranted or not.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:11 PM
  #9
Aucoin3
Registered User
 
Aucoin3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,919
vCash: 500
The Islanders are dead this season. I think they just want to take a peak at their prospects at the NHL level to get a better idea of where they stand. If Snow feels Wishart has 0 chance of making this team next year maybe the offseason is a little different than if he feels he will make the Islanders next year.

I dont think there is much to read into other than a front office and coaching staff getting a sample of what is in the system.

I'm also 99% sure we will see Capuano back as coach next season so this gives him a chance to familiarize himself with Wishart.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:13 PM
  #10
Macch
Registered User
 
Macch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
The Islanders are dead this season. I think they just want to take a peak at their prospects at the NHL level to get a better idea of where they stand. If Snow feels Wishart has 0 chance of making this team next year maybe the offseason is a little different than if he feels he will make the Islanders next year.

I dont think there is much to read into other than a front office and coaching staff getting a sample of what is in the system.

I'm also 99% sure we will see Capuano back as coach next season so this gives him a chance to familiarize himself with Wishart.


Sadly, I think you're right and its pretty sickening

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:49 PM
  #11
It Was 4 to 1*
Registered User
 
It Was 4 to 1*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,821
vCash: 500
i don't think capuano will be back. brad shaw was .500 coach in 05-06 and he wasn't kept

It Was 4 to 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:06 PM
  #12
IslesNorway
Registered User
 
IslesNorway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Norway
Posts: 3,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
I had a feeling Wishart would be called in at some point this season.

Keep in mind our current defense....

Eaton and Mottau are out for the season.

Jurcina is out for another 2 weeks at least.

Striet might be skating but we'd be lucky to see him for 10 games this year.

That leaves the following group....
Andy MacDonald
Travis Hamonic
Radek Martinek
Bruno Gervais
Jack Hillen
Dylan Reese

It will be important to see what we have in Wishart.
Of the group of 6 healthy bodies I can see Martinek being traded at the deadline.

The other reality is that with Jurcina out, there is not "big man" on the blue line, and the Isles need to have that it seems to have a better chance. When Jurcina was in the line up, the team played far better. The same when Sutton was here, and healthy.

Wishart is 6' 4" 215lbs. Also — the stats from the Admirals to the Tigers are not the best indicator of the player thus far. The Admirals are a much better team then the Tigers. Plus Wishart is learning a new system and a new team.

I am glad they brought him up. It will give us a look into the player and if he is capable of becoming a legit NHL defenseman.

NOTE: If Wishart plays — that give us 3 first round picks from the 2006 draft suited up for the Isles....Okposo (7th) Grabner (14th) and Wishart (16th)
Well put. It's interesting that four of those defensemen are FAs (Martinek,Gervais, Hillen & Reese) and there's a good chance none of them will be here next season, so they might as well give Wishart a shot.

All reports say he's not physical at all, but they also said that about Jurcina. Maybe they're bringing him up to teach him to be physical if wants to make it in the NHL.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:33 PM
  #13
TennesseeJedd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Based on reports of his play both in BP and in San Jose's farm before the trade, I don't think Wishart's going to provide the actual physicality that comes with that size to replace Jurcina. Apparently, not using his size is one of the bigger knocks on him.

Of course, the adrenaline will be high in his first game, so you might see Wishart play more physically than he normally would. So depending on how long he's up, you might have to evaluate his actual physical play over the course of multiple games before you can see whether the knock on him in the AHL is warranted or not.
Jurcina doesn't use his size either, never has so it's not like Wishart has some kind of big physical shoes to fill.

One thing is for sure, as fans we have to keep our expectations realistic on Wishart. With a defense comprised of:

Andy MacDonald
Travis Hamonic
Radek Martinek
Bruno Gervais
Jack Hillen
Dylan Reese

he will be a lot more exposed than if he were partnered with an established partner on defense. Even knowing this I would bet anything that if he struggle you will see the "Wishart suks, Snow got robbed on the Rolli deal" posts in no time, at least that will be common on the IM board.

TennesseeJedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:57 PM
  #14
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 16,106
vCash: 500
That goes without saying. We did get robbed until he proves otherwise. Don the line, may we have robbed them, but until then......we can at least say we did better trading Rollie than we did with Wiz.

Which is akin to saying England did better in 1776 than in 1812.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:17 PM
  #15
NYI78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Milford CT
Country: United States
Posts: 711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
That goes without saying. We did get robbed until he proves otherwise. Don the line, may we have robbed them, but until then......we can at least say we did better trading Rollie than we did with Wiz.

Which is akin to saying England did better in 1776 than in 1812.
england did pretty good for itslef in 1812...the did burn washington dc!!!

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:22 PM
  #16
Ziggy96
No Sleep 'til...
 
Ziggy96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
That goes without saying. We did get robbed until he proves otherwise. Don the line, may we have robbed them, but until then......we can at least say we did better trading Rollie than we did with Wiz.

Which is akin to saying England did better in 1776 than in 1812.
I disagree....they were able to set fire to Washington D.C. in 1812...

oh...I see what you did there

Ziggy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:57 PM
  #17
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky
 
Backhand of Justice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,149
vCash: 500
What's the point in recalling 2 defensemen? Reese has been horrible during his tenure, I'd just rather see Wishart as the lone guy along with Poulin.

Backhand of Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:07 PM
  #18
SnowmustGo*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Nassau, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
how did we get from NHL prospects to english-american history?

SnowmustGo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:16 PM
  #19
Otto91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,055
vCash: 500
Sweet...glad to give Wishart a look and a taste of the bigs......Still hopin to see Ullstrom get a look see in the bigs......I am sure he would look sweet in the middle between Josh B and Comeau....even better let Shremp sit a game or 2 and put Josh in the middle with Comeau and Ullstrom flaggin the wings....

Otto91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:33 PM
  #20
islandermaniac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowmustGo View Post
how did we get from NHL prospects to english-american history?
because that is a way more interesting conversation than how good or bad wishart might be

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:35 AM
  #21
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 16,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
england did pretty good for itslef in 1812...the did burn washington dc!!!
Where's Periferal? Anyone see him yet? I'm worried. I made an ironic comment (not a joke) and I'm seriously worried as he hasn't scoffed at the humor not intended within. If you run into him, give him a hug. He might need it.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 06:05 AM
  #22
Seph
Registered User
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oregon
Country: South Korea
Posts: 16,094
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Yeah...Just kicking some tires on Wishart. He's not ready (and may never be), but they want to see if he's got some potential.

Another thought...Could be that the reason we want to find out if he's got potential is because another team inquired about him and a trade could be made.
Could also be they want to see how NHL ready he is so they can test how much we can afford to lose Martinek at the deadline/this summer.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:45 AM
  #23
blitzkriegs
Registered User
 
blitzkriegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Beach & Mtn & Island
Posts: 9,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
test how much we can afford to lose Martinek at the deadline/this summer.
He's already been lost for the past five seasons and NYI haven't done a darn thing about it. I doubt this is the plan.

blitzkriegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:18 PM
  #24
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 16,106
vCash: 500
I would hate to think what decent to good NHL talent we have is ready for easy pickings because some other underachieving prospect "has done all he could in the AHL" again.

Martinek is a solid NHL player. No chronic injuries, just a ton of injuries all unrelated. Andy Mac, Streit, Martinek and Eaton resemble 4/7th's of a blueline. Why not aspire for reaching 5/7th's instead of 3/7th's? Because as a fanbase, we just gotta pin all our hopes on some kid who can magically erase 17 years of fodder.

As a plea for logic: what has Wishart done to earn NHL icetime?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 03:04 PM
  #25
TennesseeJedd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I would hate to think what decent to good NHL talent we have is ready for easy pickings because some other underachieving prospect "has done all he could in the AHL" again.

Martinek is a solid NHL player. No chronic injuries, just a ton of injuries all unrelated. Andy Mac, Streit, Martinek and Eaton resemble 4/7th's of a blueline. Why not aspire for reaching 5/7th's instead of 3/7th's? Because as a fanbase, we just gotta pin all our hopes on some kid who can magically erase 17 years of fodder.

As a plea for logic: what has Wishart done to earn NHL icetime?
Why not? What is there to lose by bringing him up for a cup of coffee? What did Reese do to earn NHL time? How about Matt Martin? Please, he's coming up for a cup of coffee it's not like we are in the thick of a playoff race here folks. In the very least the Islanders get to see how he had been developed in Tampa and see where he is at as a pro player.

TennesseeJedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.