HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

New look Lightning - 2011/12 uniforms unveiled

Old
02-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Xenophobia Catalyst
Fear The Flash

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Another post by you and still no info on your meeting. Thats it youre in timeout and you cant come out until you post up what was said.
no kidding. you cannot say the meeting was awesome then just not follow it up.

Xenophobia Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 500
You guys can't cut a girl some slack? I had dental surgery this morning, fer cryin' out loud! Here you go:

It was awesome. Leiweke, Yzerman, COO Steve Griggs and... me. Got there at 6:00, left @ 7:05. We covered tons more topics than just the logo & uni (from the building to concessions to the national anthem singers). I was impressed that Leiweke came himself to get me from the STH lounge, & Yzerman offered to walk me back out since I had no idea how to get to the outside of the building from where we were (an assistant intervened because SFY really needed to get to work). Friendly, down to earth, they *listened.* I know they did because Leiweke took notes and partway through Griggs got up and got a pad & pen and also took notes.

I was totally at ease in seconds. They're regular people and are as passionate about this team as we want them to be. Yzerman told me, "I want to win. I don't want to win the division. I don't want to win the conference. I don't want to win the Stanley Cup. I want to win EVERY YEAR." Me likey.

We had a chuckle when we were talking about season ticket prices and got side tracked because I told him how much mine cost, that I was still paying them off my credit card and that renewals and, hopefully, playoff tickets would be coming up soon & that's tough for regular folks to pay. SY leaned forward and "knocked wood" on the table and said, "hopefully make the playoffs." Griggs said (teasing), "Steve, don't you think we'll make the playoffs?" SY to me: "Do YOU think we'll make the playoffs?" I told them about the web site that calculates the odds and that, as of that morning, our chances were 99.4%. He sighed a bit and said, "I won't be able to relax until it's 100%!" We all laughed at that.

I came away with a sense that they are considering a tweak to the uniform. They asked numerous times what the fans wanted different. I told them more detail in the logo, some black in the uniforms, the celebration stripes & the bolts on the pants. They told me that the bolts on the pants had been a topic of great discussion and debate throughout the process.

They agreed the change was drastic and although they didn't come out & say they agreed, they were sympathetic when I said I felt it was too drastic, too soon, for a still recovering fan base to handle so suddenly. I pointed out that one of the things they do best and we appreciate the most - namely, keeping their business *inside* the building instead of leaking rumors and speculation everywhere - bit them a bit on this one because no one had any idea it was coming. It was such a shock that we had no time to begin to get used to it before they started bombarding us at every angle with the new logo.

Yzerman asked what I thought about the silver and I said for me, personally, it didn't matter as much, that if I had to choose between it & the black I'd pick the black because it's more prominent and more of a contrast. They asked me, although I didn't like the jersey, what did I think of blue as a home jersey color instead of black - told 'em I had no problem with it as long as there was black in it. Yzerman asked me what I thought about the shoulder patch and I told him I was neutral on it but knew people who loved it & thought it would have made a good crest. He said they also considered that, but it seemed from his expression that he didn't like the idea much.

What struck me the most, however, was Leiweke kept repeating "black, stripes & bolts on the pants" and also said to me more than once, "I can't promise you we're going to make all the changes you want." Heck, he didn't say he couldn't promise they'd make *any* of them, so I believe they're listening and may actually do something to make it more palatable for the fans.

Let's put it this way - although they did give me the obligatory line that the feedback has been more positive than negative, which we know isn't exactly the case - if they were faking their interest they are three very fine actors.

I even asked a couple of questions, one of which is if the team was considering a "Ring of Honor" to acknowledge our past players. They said they were most definitely thinking about that and then asked me for my opinion as to where it should be - in the arena or the concourse. I hadn't thought about that. I also threw in my personal wish to see the #25 jersey hanging in the rafters. Never hurts to mention things.

OK, can I come out of the sin bin now?

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Xenophobia Catalyst
Fear The Flash

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
You guys can't cut a girl some slack? I had dental surgery this morning, fer cryin' out loud! Here you go:

It was awesome. Leiweke, Yzerman, COO Steve Griggs and... me. Got there at 6:00, left @ 7:05. We covered tons more topics than just the logo & uni ...

That is really sweet. Sounds like they really are taking the fans opinions seriously. It would be nice to see some tweaks obviously (stripes/bolt) but will just have to wait and see I guess.

Xenophobia Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 09:09 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:

It was awesome. Leiweke, Yzerman, COO Steve Griggs and... me. Got there at 6:00, left @ 7:05. We covered tons more topics than just the logo & uni (from the building to concessions to the national anthem singers). I was impressed that Leiweke came himself to get me from the STH lounge, & Yzerman offered to walk me back out since I had no idea how to get to the outside of the building from where we were (an assistant intervened because SFY really needed to get to work). Friendly, down to earth, they *listened.* I know they did because Leiweke took notes and partway through Griggs got up and got a pad & pen and also took notes.

I was totally at ease in seconds. They're regular people and are as passionate about this team as we want them to be. Yzerman told me, "I want to win. I don't want to win the division. I don't want to win the conference. I don't want to win the Stanley Cup. I want to win EVERY YEAR." Me likey.

We had a chuckle when we were talking about season ticket prices and got side tracked because I told him how much mine cost, that I was still paying them off my credit card and that renewals and, hopefully, playoff tickets would be coming up soon & that's tough for regular folks to pay. SY leaned forward and "knocked wood" on the table and said, "hopefully make the playoffs." Griggs said (teasing), "Steve, don't you think we'll make the playoffs?" SY to me: "Do YOU think we'll make the playoffs?" I told them about the web site that calculates the odds and that, as of that morning, our chances were 99.4%. He sighed a bit and said, "I won't be able to relax until it's 100%!" We all laughed at that.

I came away with a sense that they are considering a tweak to the uniform. They asked numerous times what the fans wanted different. I told them more detail in the logo, some black in the uniforms, the celebration stripes & the bolts on the pants. They told me that the bolts on the pants had been a topic of great discussion and debate throughout the process.

They agreed the change was drastic and although they didn't come out & say they agreed, they were sympathetic when I said I felt it was too drastic, too soon, for a still recovering fan base to handle so suddenly. I pointed out that one of the things they do best and we appreciate the most - namely, keeping their business *inside* the building instead of leaking rumors and speculation everywhere - bit them a bit on this one because no one had any idea it was coming. It was such a shock that we had no time to begin to get used to it before they started bombarding us at every angle with the new logo.

Yzerman asked what I thought about the silver and I said for me, personally, it didn't matter as much, that if I had to choose between it & the black I'd pick the black because it's more prominent and more of a contrast. They asked me, although I didn't like the jersey, what did I think of blue as a home jersey color instead of black - told 'em I had no problem with it as long as there was black in it. Yzerman asked me what I thought about the shoulder patch and I told him I was neutral on it but knew people who loved it & thought it would have made a good crest. He said they also considered that, but it seemed from his expression that he didn't like the idea much.

What struck me the most, however, was Leiweke kept repeating "black, stripes & bolts on the pants" and also said to me more than once, "I can't promise you we're going to make all the changes you want." Heck, he didn't say he couldn't promise they'd make *any* of them, so I believe they're listening and may actually do something to make it more palatable for the fans.

Let's put it this way - although they did give me the obligatory line that the feedback has been more positive than negative, which we know isn't exactly the case - if they were faking their interest they are three very fine actors.

I even asked a couple of questions, one of which is if the team was considering a "Ring of Honor" to acknowledge our past players. They said they were most definitely thinking about that and then asked me for my opinion as to where it should be - in the arena or the concourse. I hadn't thought about that. I also threw in my personal wish to see the #25 jersey hanging in the rafters. Never hurts to mention things.

Yes it sounds like you conveyed the message of many many fans nicely.

Honestly if they add the victory stripes and the bolts on the pants Ill be much much happier. Im ok with the logo and the change to only two colors (would REALLY prefer black too though) but they did all this talking about making traditions and then they removed the two that are completely unique to us since inception.

Bring those two things back and Im sure youll have a LOT more people happy with the uniforms. And the thing about those two things is they are EASILY added by next season. They havent sold a single jersey and probably havent had many produced at all yet. And obviously they dont sell the pants themselves.

They could actually add black to the jersey pretty easily also because again they havent sold anything, but I think we are "stuck" with the two color scheme.

Thanks for being a great representative of the fan base. I really hope they took some if not all of your ideas to heart and we see some results. The new stuff could be nice if they tweak it just a bit.

IdealisticSniper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Ludicrous Speed

The Tampa Bay Grateful Dead

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:29 AM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Well they could knock down 2 of those suggestions by just switching to black pants with the new style lightning bolt on the sides. That way they wouldn't have to change the jerseys themselves and go through the embarrassment that comes with such a move. Very few people would even notice that the pants were different than what they saw in the unveiling ceremony. That would end the Maple Leaf comparisons as well once people saw the whole uniform in action.

As far as the victory stripes go, why not do something different and put them on the gloves? As of now they're just an incredibly bland blue with minor white accents. There's no rule that says gloves have to be boring. Besides gloves go along with the celebration nature of the stripes as they'll be particularly noticeable after goals are scored as players skate down the line at the bench and whatnot.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:38 AM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
love the white ones, not so much blue

*ohh borat

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Well they could knock down 2 of those suggestions by just switching to black pants with the new style lightning bolt on the sides.
While I love the idea of keeping the black pants, and as much as I dislike the new jersey, even I would admit that combination would look a bit weird if there wasn't some black in the jersey to link them together. The blue is bright - brighter than I expected - and it would be an extremely obvious contrast. SFY told me they designed these uniform to be "what a hockey player should look like." And being in favor of only 2 colors, I don't see him agreeing to blue & white jerseys and black pants.

Quote:
As far as the victory stripes go, why not do something different and put them on the gloves?
Because they'd be visible all the time, which defeats the purpose of having them in the first place. Espo's brainchild was to have something to show when we celebrate scoring a goal, not to be seen when we're just standing around waiting for the TV commercial breaks to end.

Old
02-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Bullet

I think they should have went with an electric blue.

Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Boltsfan2029

Update from a friend of mine:

Quote:
I talked to Mr. Vinik tonight at Glitz & Sticks and he said they've been getting a lot of feedback, and they ARE listening, and there is a possibility that the jersey we see now may not be the final product. So take that for what it's worth.

Old
02-14-2011, 06:06 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

vCash: 1008
Quote:

Wow, that's great. Thanks for all the details!

While I'm not against the new color scheme (IMHO, two colors are totally enough), I really like that they seem to consider the victory stripes and the bolts on the pants. After all, they're aiming for a timeless and yet traditional and classic look. Victory stripes and bolts on the pants are Lightning tradition.

Get well soon!

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Get well soon!
Thanks, I'm already almost back to normal!

Old
02-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Awesome Sauce

Can somebody explain what these victory stripes are, exactly?

Awesome Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Reign Nateo

Those jerseys would be much better with a little black, detail on the logo, and the bolts on the pants. Glad you guys are working on it! They have potential to be really great uniforms, right now they're pretty blah.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:50 PM
JackFr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbwn87 View Post
The underarm stripes on all current and past Tampa Bay jerseys. They're on the armpits, so they're only shown when a player scores or wins the Stanley Cup.

JackFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Here you go...

[IMG][/IMG]

Old
02-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Ian Himself
Hasek approves ...

Send a message via AIM to Ian Himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFr View Post
The underarm stripes on all current and past Tampa Bay jerseys. They're on the armpits, so they're only shown when a player scores or wins the Stanley Cup.

Ian Himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:28 PM
IDuck

i think those look good...and dont know if its been said or not but anyone ever heard of the company electric? they do sunglasses and cloth's....same logo

IDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:40 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
The logo sucks, the jersey is nice.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Awesome Sauce

Quote:
Here you go...

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks, I can see why fans would be upset that they are gone, as well as the lightning bolt on the pants.

Personally, I think the Lightning have done an incredible job with their choice of new uniforms and logo, but adding those stripes and the bolt would make them perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Awesome Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Finally a Lightnings jersey I can buy. A good logo and no more black.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:49 PM
Bambi Legs

Looks a lot more sleek, but all that matters is the perks that come along with being a season ticket holder.

now THAT jersey is awesome.

Bambi Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:47 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi Legs View Post
Looks a lot more sleek, but all that matters is the perks that come along with being a season ticket holder.
Have to disagree. Our traditions and our team colors matter. We won the Stanley Cup in those colors. It's just not right to throw it all away like we never existed before the day this jersey was unveiled.

If the new jersey isn't tweaked to bring back some of our past, I won't be wearing the thing, perks be damned.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Thanks, I can see why fans would be upset that they are gone, as well as the lightning bolt on the pants.

Personally, I think the Lightning have done an incredible job with their choice of new uniforms and logo, but adding those stripes and the bolt would make them perfect as far as I'm concerned.
I would like to see a touch of black in the jersey and a little more detail or depth in the logo. It's just so... flat and plain.

The stripes & the bolts are near & dear to our hearts, something that is totally unique to us. I hope they'll at least bring back one or the other. From my meeting with Steve Yzerman, et al., I think the stripes are a possibility but I don't think he's going to go for the bolts on the pants.

Last edited by Boltsfan2029: 02-14-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old
02-23-2011, 07:15 AM
Boltsfan2029

Update: follow-up meeting w/CEO Tod Leiweke scheduled for 3/29. His idea, can't wait to see what they have to say!