HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Meet the next Turgeon....

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-31-2011, 02:37 PM
  #1
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!
 
petrocelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,162
vCash: 500
Meet the next Turgeon....

Ok Ok, I am getting ahead of myself, but there has been alot of buzz about this kid lately... Lots of rankings have him between #5-7 right behind the top four for this years draft.. Jonathan Huberdeau

So I did a little research on him (translate that as watching a bunch of youtube videos), and man does this kid remind me of Turgeon...

*First off, facially he looks like a very young Turgeon
*Sounds like Turgeon as French is his native tongue
* same height (6'1) with a similar frame as Turgeon (needs to fill out though)
*lefty centerman (like Turgeon)
* most importantly, plays a very shifty, creative game very similar to Turgeon...

He is currently second in the QMJHL with GP 48 G 29 A 44 Points 73

Take a look for yourself, here's a profile:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqjZA5Xudj4

Just a guy to keep in mind come June.... He is right behind the top 4 and moving up... They are saying he may have as high an upside as anyone in this draft.

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 04:15 PM
  #2
beach
Things are looking
 
beach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: here
Country: United States
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Ok Ok, I am getting ahead of myself, but there has been alot of buzz about this kid lately... Lots of rankings have him between #5-7 right behind the top four for this years draft.. Jonathan Huberdeau

So I did a little research on him (translate that as watching a bunch of youtube videos), and man does this kid remind me of Turgeon...

*First off, facially he looks like a very young Turgeon
*Sounds like Turgeon as French is his native tongue
* same height (6'1) with a similar frame as Turgeon (needs to fill out though)
*lefty centerman (like Turgeon)
* most importantly, plays a very shifty, creative game very similar to Turgeon...

He is currently second in the QMJHL with GP 48 G 29 A 44 Points 73

Take a look for yourself, here's a profile:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqjZA5Xudj4

Just a guy to keep in mind come June.... He is right behind the top 4 and moving up... They are saying he may have as high an upside as anyone in this draft.
I think the Isles should trade down twice to get him.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 04:32 PM
  #3
Trumanperro
Registered User
 
Trumanperro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Sign em. I trade Bailey.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:52 PM
  #4
OpAck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Wilmington, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,236
vCash: 500
Great...let's just keep him away from the next Dale Hunter.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:01 PM
  #5
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Great...let's just keep him away from the next Dale Hunter.

I love wit.


periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:44 PM
  #6
4Isles4*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 763
vCash: 500
ive been saying it for awhile draft larsson and then move back into the first round and get this kid....

4Isles4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:48 PM
  #7
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!
 
petrocelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Isles4 View Post
ive been saying it for awhile draft larsson and then move back into the first round and get this kid....
There is NO WAY to get both... the only way we're getting Larsson is if we land the first overall pick, that in itself is no sure thing by any means..... then, to get back up to the 5th, 6th or 7th slot to get this kid, the price would be enormous...
Something like:
Bailey
both our 2nd rounders
and maybe even a prospect like Matt Donovan

Even the above may not be enough if a team doesnt like Bailey...... and I don't think I'd do that deal anyway.. I'm not ready to give up on Bailey yet by any means.

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:22 PM
  #8
Yashin for President
Registered User
 
Yashin for President's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bestchester
Posts: 1,058
vCash: 500
I love how everyone is ready to dump Bailey. C'mon now. This Huberdeau kid seems like a nice player but we need some grit players like a Landeskog. Im tired of these lanky players that have no size and take forever to come around. We need a player that is ready to play, mentally and physically. I really see the Isles going for Larsson or Landskog. Everyone else just looks so raw to me and wouldnt have an impact that soon. I could also see them trade the pick too. Im not saying I dont want Huberdeau, I just think we need players that are closer to the NHL.

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 03:22 PM
  #9
4Isles4*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
There is NO WAY to get both... the only way we're getting Larsson is if we land the first overall pick, that in itself is no sure thing by any means..... then, to get back up to the 5th, 6th or 7th slot to get this kid, the price would be enormous...
Something like:
Bailey
both our 2nd rounders
and maybe even a prospect like Matt Donovan

Even the above may not be enough if a team doesnt like Bailey...... and I don't think I'd do that deal anyway.. I'm not ready to give up on Bailey yet by any means.
i agree his rock is rising and hes looking like a top 10....but other fowards I like are Zack Phillips and Khoklechev.....and dman later could be Myles Bell

4Isles4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 03:24 PM
  #10
4Isles4*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin for President View Post
I love how everyone is ready to dump Bailey. C'mon now. This Huberdeau kid seems like a nice player but we need some grit players like a Landeskog. Im tired of these lanky players that have no size and take forever to come around. We need a player that is ready to play, mentally and physically. I really see the Isles going for Larsson or Landskog. Everyone else just looks so raw to me and wouldnt have an impact that soon. I could also see them trade the pick too. Im not saying I dont want Huberdeau, I just think we need players that are closer to the NHL.
You will most likley get your wish with Nino next year.....I think he will be able to make the team next year....

4Isles4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 04:40 PM
  #11
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,252
vCash: 500
Then I guess it might just be worth trading the #2 overall (our pick) for the #6 and #24 overall (Boston's picks)??

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 05:24 PM
  #12
DaMick
at least we got D
 
DaMick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Purgatory
Country: United States
Posts: 8,433
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Great...let's just keep him away from the next Dale Hunter.


Will he get traded for the next Kirk Muller?

__________________
DaMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 09:38 PM
  #13
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,871
vCash: 500
I'm pretty confident that Larsson will be the pick if he is there. Outside of him, I really like Landeskog. I know a lot of people might think he is just the flavor of the month but I just love his game, and the fact that he is ranked by most draft sites/experts to be in the top-3 should make it an easier choice on drafting him without fear of the "reach."

I know I might get burned for wanting to draft for need(I suppose some could call it that), but I think having both Landeskog and Nino in the system would be huge for us. I really like our defensive core right now with Streit, Hamonic, de Haan, MacDonald and feel that we should be able to build around that, whether it's via trade, UFA, or within. Maybe I am wrong for thinking this but I believe it would be easier for this team to acquire a solid defenseman in his prime than it would be a top-6 scorer in his prime. Mainly for that reason I believe we should focus the draft on acquiring offensive talent(unless a player like Larsson is on the board and it is that much of a no-brainer).

Basically my main point is, if we draft Landeskog and just one of him or Nino reaches their full potential, our top-6(and entire group of forwards for that matter) will be pretty much set for the future. We would just have to add a few lower level signings/trades here and there to complete the unit. As of now, the players who look like they will be around for a while are Tavares, Okposo, Moulson, and then guys like Bailey and Grabner who are on the fence but very well could be top-6 contributors for this team in the future. Add in Nielsen, Comeau/Hunter(I think there will only be room for one of them) and Martin, and let's see what we have up front:

______ -- Tavares -- Okposo/Moulson
Grabner -- Bailey -- Moulson/Okposo
______ -- Nielsen -- Hunter/Comeau
Martin -- _______ -- _______

OK, the 3rd line wing and two 4th line spots shouldn't be hard to fill, but the top-line LW should be pretty difficult if we are trying to fill it through trade or free agency(as has been proven through recent history). IMO, the only way it can be successfully addressed that way is if Tavares just has a monster year next season and legit scorers in this league are willing to look past the front office and sign because of a desire to play with him. But, IMO, even Tavares having that kind of year might not change anything. However, if you have both Nino and Landeskog waiting in the wings, it's hard to believe that neither of them will AT LEAST develop into a solid top-6 winger. Is it risky to think that way? Sure, but IMO we don't have many other options at this point. Quality hockey players aren't lining up to play here. We either have to catch lightning in a bottle like we did with Streit and to a lesser degree, Moulson, or we have to develop prospects and rely on them to contribute(Tavares, Okposo, Nielsen, Hamonic, etc.).

Best case scenario, both of them develop into solid NHL players and you have a pretty deep crop of forwards:

Landeskog -- Tavares -- Moulson/Okposo
Grabner -- Bailey -- Okposo/Moulson
Niederreiter -- Nielsen -- Hunter/Comeau
Martin -- Konopka -- UFA(Asham-type)

While this roster still might not look too good to some of you, consider this being a couple of years down the line with added experience to the likes of Tavares, Okposo, Bailey, Grabner, Nielsen, etc. IMO both Tavares and Okposo are on the cusp of stardom, and if Bailey and Grabner both reach a level of consistency, this should be a very solid group of skaters. The best part, IMO, is that there are no high priced UFAs. Sure, Tavares and Okposo will probably command a solid raise but still I doubt either of them will break the bank barring something incredible happening next season. So this should allow the Isles to focus on picking out a group of maybe 3 or so defenseman that they would love to add to this team and do everything in their power to obtain one of them. Overpayment is inevitable, but acceptable IMO as long as it is on just one player and as long as that player will truly help make this team a contender. Christian Ehrhoff is the perfect example. By no means is he a superstar but he is a very solid defenseman who is entering his prime.

Make that one (relatively)big signing, implement deHaan, Landeskog or Nino or both, and let this team grow and hopefully eventually compete. There, that was my rant. Call my crazy but I think that is how I would go about our situation.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:02 PM
  #14
xIsle
Registered User
 
xIsle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin for President View Post
I love how everyone is ready to dump Bailey. C'mon now. This Huberdeau kid seems like a nice player but we need some grit players like a Landeskog. Im tired of these lanky players that have no size and take forever to come around. We need a player that is ready to play, mentally and physically. I really see the Isles going for Larsson or Landskog. Everyone else just looks so raw to me and wouldnt have an impact that soon. I could also see them trade the pick too. Im not saying I dont want Huberdeau, I just think we need players that are closer to the NHL.
For your information, Huberdeau has some "bites" to his games. He's not 100% Pierre Turgeon. They are both very talented (maybe Turgeon a little more) but Huberdeau plays the game with an edge wich was not really the case with Turgeon...

But there is no doubt that Landeskog has more grit than Huberdeau. Right now, Landeskog is my favorite prospect but not far behind I got Huberdeau, Couturier and Larsson.

xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.