HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Goalie Niklas Backstrom to the Leafs in the offseason.

Old
01-31-2011, 01:44 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

vCash: 500
Goalie Niklas Backstrom to the Leafs in the offseason.

Listening to Dreger talk couple days ago an sportscenter you got the sense that Brian Burke was not going to allow us to be as bad as we have been this season his main target is apperently a #1 goalie. With that in mind do you think if the wild miss the playoffs that they could deal Backstrom at the draft and if so what would it take to bring the goalie to Toronto? I think Burke would pay a nice price to aquire a legit #1 goalie the Caliber of a Niklas Backstrom.

what do you think is there a deal there to be made between the Leafs and wild at the draft? and if so what would it take?

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:47 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
Listening to Dreger talk couple days ago an sportscenter you got the sense that Brian Burke was not going to allow us to be as bad as we have been this season his main target is apperently a #1 goalie. With that in mind do you think if the wild miss the playoffs that they could deal Backstrom at the draft and if so what would it take to bring the goalie to Toronto? I think Burke would pay a nice price to aquire a legit #1 goalie the Caliber of a Niklas Backstrom.

what do you think is there a deal there to be made between the Leafs and wild at the draft? and if so what would it take?
At $6m (for 2 years this time) to a 33-year old goaltender, I would hope Burke declines to make that mistake again.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:50 AM
Xelstyle

This reminds me of the trade for Toskala back in 07 somewhat.
If you take that as a measuring stick, Toronto's 1st and 2nd seems to be the price. Possibly the 2nd could be change to a 3rd but that's my rough estimate.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:57 AM
Uncle Eugene
Buckle up.

So...who starts for the Wild?

Why would Backstrom be moved? I am confused, Buffalo is going to miss the playoffs, should they trade Miller? LA, Quick? Calgary, Kipper? CBJ, Mason?

Flawed in principle.

Uncle Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:57 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
At $6m (for 2 years this time) to a 33-year old goaltender, I would hope Burke declines to make that mistake again.
33 isn't that old for a goalie they do tend to play at a higher level for a longer period of time then most forwards and D

Old
01-31-2011, 02:04 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
33 isn't that old for a goalie they do tend to play at a higher level for a longer period of time then most forwards and D
Strangely enough.... JS Giguere is 33 years old. How's that working out?

Brian Burke needs to get off the "build from the net out" principle. It's great if you've got access to the elite goaltenders (see Lundqvist, Miller, Luongo, etc), but anytime else, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment in goal if you're paying $6m for a goalie.

Teams figured it out this year for the most part -- spend $3-4m on a pair of goalies. Make your team strong enough around them so that the quality of goaltending isn't that important and any time they steal a game is a pleasant suprise instead of having to rely on the goalie to do so.

Old
01-31-2011, 02:12 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Faith View Post

Why would Backstrom be moved? I am confused, Buffalo is going to miss the playoffs, should they trade Miller? LA, Quick? Calgary, Kipper? CBJ, Mason?

Flawed in principle.
yes the flames should asctually deal kipper they need young assets and he could bring them back and get the rebuild off to a good start.

This thread is not about Kipper though

Old
01-31-2011, 02:12 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Faith View Post

Flawed in principle.
Just for the record, Calgary definitely should trade Kipper in the off-season if they miss the playoffs.

He could be gotten for a few picks. Maybe a 3rd + a decent prospect or an okay roster player?

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:13 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Strangely enough.... JS Giguere is 33 years old. How's that working out?

Brian Burke needs to get off the "build from the net out" principle. It's great if you've got access to the elite goaltenders (see Lundqvist, Miller, Luongo, etc), but anytime else, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment in goal if you're paying $6m for a goalie.

Teams figured it out this year for the most part -- spend $3-4m on a pair of goalies. Make your team strong enough around them so that the quality of goaltending isn't that important and any time they steal a game is a pleasant suprise instead of having to rely on the goalie to do so.
JS is the exception to the rule not the rule and you know it.

Old
01-31-2011, 02:16 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
JS is the exception to the rule not the rule and you know it.
Knowing Toronto's luck, Backstrom will be the next "exception to the rule".

Old
01-31-2011, 02:19 AM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

So first is first. I'll take Versteeg for Backstrom. Straight up. Though you'll probably want more.

Second, the starter issue, we'd have Harding and Theodore.

Don't compare Giguere to Backstrom. You know Backstrom is much better. I can't tell you how many games he's either kept us in or stole for us this yer.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:28 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns4Norris View Post
So first is first. I'll take Versteeg for Backstrom. Straight up. Though you'll probably want more.

Don't compare Giguere to Backstrom. You know Backstrom is much better. I can't tell you how many games he's either kept us in or stole for us this yer.
I'm fully aware that Backstrom is much better right now, but the fact is it's a 2-year commitment, and he's getting older. After getting burned this year, I would much rather see Toronto spend $1-3m on a goaltender on a 1-year deal, let Reimer/Gustavsson and that goalie battle for time, and spend that money on adding size up front.

The only exception to that amongst potentially available goaltenders would be Bryzgalov, but even with him, if it costs much more than ~$5m, we're problably better off passing.

Old
01-31-2011, 02:31 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns4Norris View Post

I was actually going to purpose Versteeg but wasn't sure if he would fit the wilds needs

Old
01-31-2011, 02:35 AM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
I'm fully aware that Backstrom is much better right now, but the fact is it's a 2-year commitment, and he's getting older. I would much rather see Toronto spend $1-3m on a goaltender on a 1-year deal, let Reimer/Gustavsson and that goalie battle for time, and spend that money on adding size up front.

The only exception to that amongst potentially available goaltenders would be Bryzgalov, but even with him, if it costs much more than ~$5m, we're problably better off passing.
You act like two years is a lifetime commitment. He'll be your best (consistent) goalie in those two years. But if he happens to be replaced the second year, then at the very worst you'll have an extremely competent backup who costs 6m for half a season.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:45 AM
SolidSnakeUS

If you want Backstrom, start with Monster.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:47 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
If you want Backstrom, start with Monster.
I'd be quite fine with that actually

Old
01-31-2011, 02:51 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

I know I am going to jinx it lol but the fact that we haven't see a post include schenn or Kadri yet is suprising

Old
01-31-2011, 03:11 AM
SolidSnakeUS

How about Monster + Kulemin for Backstrom?

Sadly, it might have to be more from Toronto, mainly because Backstrom is a huge key piece for the Wild.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 04:26 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

If can convince Backstrom to waive his NMC, probably not much to get him to Toronto. As good as Backstrom is, goaltenders are a dime a dozen in his league and the top goaltenders compared to the mid of the pack, there isn't a lot of difference. You get a strong team out in front of the goaltender and a good goaltender becomes elite.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 04:56 AM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

I think it would take 2 pieces no matter what it was. Versteeg and 2nd. Bozak and first. Versteeg/Bozak. I don't watch too many Leafs games but the Wild need top 6 forwards badly. I'm sure guys like Schenn, Kadri would be off limits, am I correct? Let me know what you guys think. I am surprised only a few wild fans have chimed in on this. Backstrom is a world class goalie.

WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:41 AM
Finnish Your Czechs

Jeff Finger straight up.

Maybe Minnesota should add. Right Leafs fans?

Finnish Your Czechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:51 AM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
If can convince Backstrom to waive his NMC, probably not much to get him to Toronto. As good as Backstrom is, goaltenders are a dime a dozen in his league and the top goaltenders compared to the mid of the pack, there isn't a lot of difference. You get a strong team out in front of the goaltender and a good goaltender becomes elite.
Oh yes clearly.

Look at Niemi on San Jose. Or Turco on Chicago.

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 06:07 AM
MXD

Somebody mentionned a 1st and a 3rd...

Well, that's happens to be what the Blues paid for Jaroslav Halak.

Halak was younger, but the Habs were in a better position than the Wild to deal Halak (they weren't dealing their best goalie). So I'd expect something around a 1st and a 3rd.

... Kadri, Olsen for Backstrom

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 06:43 AM
fearthetrap

I wouldn't mind a deal at the deadline. Giguere and future first for backstrom. Then we can ride JS, Theodore, or Khudobin if we make a playoff push.

Wild get cap relief at the end of the year

Toronto gets a legit number 1 goalie.

fearthetrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 06:44 AM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish Your Czechs View Post
Jeff Finger straight up.

Maybe Minnesota should add. Right Leafs fans?
Troll.

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote