HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Trade Deadline Talk II

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2011, 03:54 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
We should be looking out west, once the playoff picture has settled more later this month.
True, but it would be wise to start testing the water. I wonder, though, what the etiquette is among GMs this time of year. If you're calling someone on the playoff bubble, essentially you're saying, "Hi, I think your team is circling the bowl. How about giving up on the season in a deal with us?" Seriously, though, another week should shake out at least one more seller organization heading up to the trade deadline.

I'm lukewarm on Modin, and his availability is up in the air. I do like the idea of Montador to really solidify the defense. I'd be inclined to then look to flip one of Carle or Cobourne in a bigger deal for Lord Vokoundemort ... but that's just me.

Old
02-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Anyone up for trading for Belanger?
Never liked him that much, but if you want a guy who is motivated by hatred of the Capitals, he's your man.

Among the others mentioned, I heard Rick Dudley talking about his team on the FAN590 yesterday. He loves their youth and the fact that his 'vets' Peverley and Oduya, are only 28.

He's not in a selling mode at all, unless he gets blown away by an offer, so I don't see someone line Stewart being available. Dudley mentioned they scouted Stewart at an NFL training facility in Florida and encouraged him to go to a hockey program - and it made all the difference.

The Flyers really don't NEED to add anyone. At forward, if we could upgrade significantly on Nodl, it might be worth it, but Nodl's been playing so well that won't be easy (e.g. guys like Higgins don't offer enough).

Radek Dvorak's speed is intriguing, Miettinen has some skill.

But would any of them be a guaranteed upgrade to go with Richards and JVR?

Old
02-08-2011, 04:24 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Never liked him that much, but if you want a guy who is motivated by hatred of the Capitals, he's your man.

Among the others mentioned, I heard Rick Dudley talking about his team on the FAN590 yesterday. He loves their youth and the fact that his 'vets' Peverley and Oduya, are only 28.

He's not in a selling mode at all, unless he gets blown away by an offer, so I don't see someone line Stewart being available. Dudley mentioned they scouted Stewart at an NFL training facility in Florida and encouraged him to go to a hockey program - and it made all the difference.

The Flyers really don't NEED to add anyone. At forward, if we could upgrade significantly on Nodl, it might be worth it, but Nodl's been playing so well that won't be easy (e.g. guys like Higgins don't offer enough).

Radek Dvorak's speed is intriguing, Miettinen has some skill.

But would any of them be a guaranteed upgrade to go with Richards and JVR?
yes as thery are a better option than Nodl

Old
02-08-2011, 05:00 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
yes as thery are a better option than Nodl
Honestly I'd rather play Nodl with Powe and Betts, sit Shelley, and play Carcillo with Richards than trade for some of the scrubs being discussed. We're talking about 15 goal scorer types...basically upgrading on 1 goal a month over Nodl. So 1 goal in March and 1 playoff goal above and beyond what Nodl brings. All while giving up assets in a seller's market.

Unless we're talking about adding a Versteeg or somebody comparable then I'd stand pat. Not because I don't think we need to upgrade Nodl's spot, but because if we're upgrading Nodl's spot then let's upgrade it and not make a lateral move.

Old
02-08-2011, 05:24 PM
ORYX

I have taken the liberty of creating a table with some of the mentioned players, their cap hits, stats etc for comparison sake.

I have added some names mentioned here, and some others that I thought would make for good discussion. I had identified a number of others which I liked personally, but after looking at their contracts etc they didn't fit the bill.

Feel free to add as you wish.

And obviously some fit better then others etc but its just for conversation so don't attack me haha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hockey.jpg‎ (60.4 KB, 35 views)

Old
02-08-2011, 05:28 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
Honestly I'd rather play Nodl with Powe and Betts, sit Shelley, and play Carcillo with Richards than trade for some of the scrubs being discussed. We're talking about 15 goal scorer types...basically upgrading on 1 goal a month over Nodl. So 1 goal in March and 1 playoff goal above and beyond what Nodl brings. All while giving up assets in a seller's market.

Unless we're talking about adding a Versteeg or somebody comparable then I'd stand pat. Not because I don't think we need to upgrade Nodl's spot, but because if we're upgrading Nodl's spot then let's upgrade it and not make a lateral move.
I would rather Nodl in the top 9 than Carcillo

Old
02-08-2011, 05:39 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I'd like Morrison. He might be a pretty penny though.

Old
02-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Razor the Goalie
Can I Get a Hot Tub

Konopka for Carcillo

Old
02-08-2011, 06:13 PM
lancer247

Quote:

Maybe those guys score a few more goals with some of the set ups from Richards. May be not.

I would like to add another element even if it is a lateral move.

Old
02-08-2011, 06:48 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I'm sure a lot of no's will come about, but just as a though, how about Cogliano?

Old
02-08-2011, 07:12 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
I wouldnt mind Cogliano. Dudes fast as ****

Old
02-08-2011, 07:24 PM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
I thought briefly about adding him to my list but decided not to because he has been such a let down in Edmonton.

Now that I think about it, he hasnt had much to work with in Edmonton and I see him being more of a complimentary player playing with better players.

I'm sure he would come cheap as well, but not too sure he addresses what the needs are of this team.

Old
02-08-2011, 07:25 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
If he didn't suck balls at faceoffs, I'd agree. Does he even line up at center anymore?

Old
02-08-2011, 07:58 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Since there is always rumors of Kaberle coming to Philly, probably because Kaberle wants to play here. Is anyone else interested in upgrading Carle.

Some package of Carle + 3rd or Carcillo or something.

Toronto gets a puck moving D for another year, while their prospects develop. We upgrade our D for the playoffs and open some cap space for next year.

Old
02-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I don't think it has anything to do with Kaberle, so much as it's Toronto fans wanting to get rid of him in exchange for Carter or Giroux.

Old
02-08-2011, 08:06 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
No real interest in Cogliano. It's not like we're having trouble scoring; I'd rather we get someone who could tighten up our forwards in their own end and contribute to the PK. I could be wrong, but I don't think that's Cogliano.

I'd love to have Kaberle, and TO would probably trade him off cheap at this point. Would he even waive his NTC to come to Philly?

Old
02-08-2011, 08:08 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with Kaberle, so much as it's Toronto fans wanting to get rid of him in exchange for Carter or Giroux.
No I think the Flyers are on his limited NTC list.

Edit: Maybe we can make a Tampa/Gagne type steal

Old
02-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
No I think the Flyers are on his limited NTC list.

Edit: Maybe we can make a Tampa/Gagne type steal
To PHI: Kaberle and their draft picks next year

To TOR: Puck autographed by Jeff Carter

in all seriousness though, I don't see us trading with Toronto, especially to get more Dmen. I hear Kessel wants out, AND he's getting some third line experience How do we get him?

Old
02-08-2011, 08:36 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg The Goalie View Post
Konopka for Carcillo
Always kind of wanted the dude with the same first name as me on my team.

Old
02-08-2011, 08:42 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Always kind of wanted the dude with the same first name as me on my team.
Is Zenon a Canadian thing? Just like switching r's and e's?

Old
02-08-2011, 08:44 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Is Zenon a Canadian thing? Just like switching r's and e's?
Origin is Greek as far as I know, I think there's a bunch of Zenons in the french community though.

Don't know any other ones personally. My mother just enjoyed the morphine a wee bit too much.

Old
02-08-2011, 08:51 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Since there is always rumors of Kaberle coming to Philly, probably because Kaberle wants to play here. Is anyone else interested in upgrading Carle.

Some package of Carle + 3rd or Carcillo or something.

Toronto gets a puck moving D for another year, while their prospects develop. We upgrade our D for the playoffs and open some cap space for next year.
Is that true? Didn't Kaberle veto a trade here? My impression was that he didn't want to play here. It might make a bit of sense to add Kaberle and then explore an offseason trade of Timonen. They're similar players but Kaberle's 3 years younger. Just floating the idea, I'm not even sure I'd do it as I'm a big fan of Kimmo Timonen...but long-term I think it's a concern that our clear #1 and #2 D-men are aging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Maybe those guys score a few more goals with some of the set ups from Richards. May be not.

I would like to add another element even if it is a lateral move.
That's true...and add in the fact that they'd be playing on the "third" line here and seeing other teams' top offensive units rather than more defensive minded forwards and top d-pairings. I'd still rather look at guys like Cole or Versteeg...maybe a Winchester for the physical element he brings.

Old
02-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

I actually think I'd rather keep Timonen until he retires. Only if that contract gets friendlier to reflect impending age, though.

Old
02-08-2011, 08:56 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Is that true? Didn't Kaberle veto a trade here? My impression was that he didn't want to play here. It might make a bit of sense to add Kaberle and then explore an offseason trade of Timonen. They're similar players but Kaberle's 3 years younger. Just floating the idea, I'm not even sure I'd do it as I'm a big fan of Kimmo Timonen...but long-term I think it's a concern that our clear #1 and #2 D-men are aging.

That's true...and add in the fact that they'd be playing on the "third" line here and seeing other teams' top offensive units rather than more defensive minded forwards and top d-pairings. I'd still rather look at guys like Cole or Versteeg...maybe a Winchester for the physical element he brings.
True some rumors say he didn't want to waive his NTC, but Dreger recently said Philly should be on his list of teams to go to.

Ehh I really wasn't thinking he should replace Timonen. Timonen is a much better Dman overall. I was thinking that we may need to move some cap in the off season, and Carle looks like the most likely to be moved. Why not do it now and improve the D for a playoff run.

Old
02-08-2011, 09:20 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Origin is Greek as far as I know, I think there's a bunch of Zenons in the french community though.

Don't know any other ones personally. My mother just enjoyed the morphine a wee bit too much.
Yeah, pretty sure you're right about it being Greek. Are you Greek or do you just have a Greek name? It could be worse, you could be like me, a Chinese kid saddled with a Scandinavian moniker.

Quote:
True some rumors say he didn't want to waive his NTC, but Dreger recently said Philly should be on his list of teams to go to.

Ehh I really wasn't thinking he should replace Timonen. Timonen is a much better Dman overall. I was thinking that we may need to move some cap in the off season, and Carle looks like the most likely to be moved. Why not do it now and improve the D for a playoff run.
Ideally we could sign him to a discount or trade his rights for something shiny

Closed Thread