HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Looking to Trade Possible Hemsky,Penner,Cogliano.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2011, 01:20 AM
  #101
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
It's funny you say Gormley because I wonder about the Oiler brass liking him as well. Remember on Oil change when Stu had the list of guys they would trade back in to get? Gormley was absent from that list. Again, I would do that deal but I don't know that they would. As for Bogosian I wouldn't worry personally about adding Smid. I think Smid has value but I think he's replaceable. He plays with an edge but for me I want my d-men to be intelligent and he seemingly doesn't have a high IQ. I like his game, but I'm starting to wonder how much he can improve on what he is.
It's funny, because as I was writing that I knew you would remember that part of the episode lol...it made me wonder when I saw it as well, mostly because it didn't really make sense to me. My reasoning at the time was that since Gormley basically does everything really well but isn't specially amazing in one area (i.e. puck mover like Fowler or shutdown guy like Gudbranson or McIlrath), that maybe they thought it just wasn't worth it for them to trade the assets to get him. Also, for some reason they had this idea that the "big 3" d-men were going to drop (or hoping they would) so maybe they just prefered other guys over him.

I kind of agree on Smid, I personally think of his potential a little higher than you do IMO, but I have worries about his neck injury and concussion issues that probably level our value to being equal.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:22 AM
  #102
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Zach and Slater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
Just speaking so,Staal is on a team with great depth at Center,just throwing our a proposal. Cogliano would look good on the line with Malkin if he magically developed some hands. Despite his speed, he's not a top six player. If Staal is moved to Edmonton, something better than Cogliano is going to have to be involved. They have no burning desire to trade Staal, and they've been winning without wingers.

Counter proposal: Penner/Omark/Petry for Staal/Dupuis.

Pittsburgh still probably wouldn't do it, but this is closer, in my opinion.
This is a GROSS understatement

Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Talbot, Jeffery, Letestu. Dustin Jeffery is great in the dot, has good size, he is the perfect 3rd line center. Yet Shero refuses to make a move. It's ridiculous, this guy has to move one of these guys and I'm not saying he has to move Staal and I don't think the Oil could throw the best offer down to land Malkin. But Shero must move one of those 2 so he can upgrade the wings, it makes no sense to hang on to all 3 when you would still be really deep in the middle! I would move Malkin. Would Columbus do Nash for Malkin straight up? Would Pittsburgh? I would offer Hemsky, Omark, and Penner for Malkin and a salary dump but I don't know if that would be enough.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:32 AM
  #103
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Zach and Slater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
It's funny, because as I was writing that I knew you would remember that part of the episode lol...it made me wonder when I saw it as well, mostly because it didn't really make sense to me. My reasoning at the time was that since Gormley basically does everything really well but isn't specially amazing in one area (i.e. puck mover like Fowler or shutdown guy like Gudbranson or McIlrath), that maybe they thought it just wasn't worth it for them to trade the assets to get him. Also, for some reason they had this idea that the "big 3" d-men were going to drop (or hoping they would) so maybe they just prefered other guys over him.

I kind of agree on Smid, I personally think of his potential a little higher than you do IMO, but I have worries about his neck injury and concussion issues that probably level our value to being equal.
Yeah who knows with Gormley. I really liked him and had heard from guys like Jeff Marek that going into the draft he was going to be the 1st d-man off the board, his mem cup performance had put him in the lead. But just because the Oilers didn't want to trade up to get him doesn't mean they wouldn't have interest in him, same goes for Forbort.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:33 AM
  #104
Tavaresmagicalplay*
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
This is a GROSS understatement

Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Talbot, Jeffery, Letestu. Dustin Jeffery is great in the dot, has good size, he is the perfect 3rd line center. Yet Shero refuses to make a move. It's ridiculous, this guy has to move one of these guys and I'm not saying he has to move Staal and I don't think the Oil could throw the best offer down to land Malkin. But Shero must move one of those 2 so he can upgrade the wings, it makes no sense to hang on to all 3 when you would still be really deep in the middle! I would move Malkin. Would Columbus do Nash for Malkin straight up? Would Pittsburgh? I would offer Hemsky, Omark, and Penner for Malkin and a salary dump but I don't know if that would be enough.
Why wouldn't the pens just do what they do every year and trade a 2nd for Clarke MacArthur or whoever? Trading a Conn Smythe winner or a 6'5 selke nominee(who produces at a first line pace at even strength playing on the 3rd line the past 2/3 years) isn't exactly smart business. Especially if you want to trade him for a guy who from watching the olympics clearly has no chemistry with Crosby.


Last edited by Spawn: 02-01-2011 at 01:38 AM. Reason: changed would to wouldn't
Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:51 AM
  #105
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Zach and Slater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
Why wouldn't the pens just do what they do every year and trade a 2nd for Clarke MacArthur or whoever? Trading a Conn Smythe winner or a 6'5 selke nominee(who produces at a first line pace at even strength playing on the 3rd line the past 2/3 years) isn't exactly smart business. Especially if you want to trade him for a guy who from watching the olympics clearly has no chemistry with Crosby.
So...you don't think they can get chemistry based on 3 games playing together on a line? And you don't think that Sid would want an actual star on his line rather than 2nd or 3rd rate guys? I'm gonna GUESS that Sid wouldn't be too happy if they kept trying to surround him with scrubs...And Clarke is a friend of mine! But Clarke isn't the answer.

They lucked into it in 09 when they found 2 guys that were both gritty and had been there before in Kunitz and Guerin. That won't happen every year. A 2nd round pick won't land you much. Using the Columbus/Pittsburgh example doing that trade would give Crosby the PERFECT winger to play with. Has the speed, the size, the power, and the skill to play with Sid. Clearly has no chemsitry with him? Dude, they played together for literally 3 games give your head a shake that's a terrible example. If that's how long you give players then I guess you wrote off Hall in October?

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:58 AM
  #106
Tavaresmagicalplay*
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
So...you don't think they can get chemistry based on 3 games playing together on a line? And you don't think that Sid would want an actual star on his line rather than 2nd or 3rd rate guys? I'm gonna GUESS that Sid wouldn't be too happy if they kept trying to surround him with scrubs...And Clarke is a friend of mine! But Clarke isn't the answer.

They lucked into it in 09 when they found 2 guys that were both gritty and had been there before in Kunitz and Guerin. That won't happen every year. A 2nd round pick won't land you much. Using the Columbus/Pittsburgh example doing that trade would give Crosby the PERFECT winger to play with. Has the speed, the size, the power, and the skill to play with Sid. Clearly has no chemsitry with him? Dude, they played together for literally 3 games give your head a shake that's a terrible example. If that's how long you give players then I guess you wrote off Hall in October?
Do I think Crosby would support a Malkin for Nash trade? Absolutely not. Why would he? They are good friends, they are winning games right now and they've already won together.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:59 AM
  #107
Tavaresmagicalplay*
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,306
vCash: 500
And aside from that, Malkin has played wing all season. If Crosby wanted a winger so badly he would have told Bylsma to put Malkin on his line.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:05 AM
  #108
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Zach and Slater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
Do I think Crosby would support a Malkin for Nash trade? Absolutely not. Why would he? They are good friends, they are winning games right now and they've already won together.
They are tight hey? I didn't know this, perhaps you could provide a source? BTW they have tried Malkin on Sid's wing before. No chemistry (over more than 3 games! sorry dude, I won't let that one go ), and Geno is much more comfortable in the middle. I don't know much, but I trust Jeff Marek and he has said on his show more than a few times that he has heard Sid is fed up and wants some legit talent on his wings. Malkin for Nash, it might be a loss for the Pens in value, but with the depth they have at center it makes there team better. Same with Columbus. While they lose the face of there franchise they get a legit 1st line center to play with Voracek and Filatov. It's a fit for both teams...not that I would expect it to ever happen, GM's will not take a swing like that these days. But looking at it from a Columbus POV they could do that and turn around and trade Johansen to us for Hemsky....then all of a sudden your team is looking A LOT better.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 09:39 AM
  #109
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 27,539
vCash: 2956
Listening to Rishaug yesterday he really feels that Penner has a lot of value as does Hemsky if he can comeback and play before the deadline. Sounds like there are some desparate teams out there for top 6 players and with Moulson just re-signing that is one less guy available at the trade deadline.

I know there is no rush to move any of the bigger players under contract, but there is a lack of UFA rentals that are available this year. Either now or at the draft I think we could really get a good return, that is if we are looking at moving guys.


http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.p...F&fa_type_id=2

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:02 AM
  #110
Oilfan2
Oil the way..
 
Oilfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,013
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uindicator View Post
Penner or Hemsky + 2nd round 2011 for Bos 1st round 2011
Soooo, one of our best players and a possible 31st overall pick for, most likely, what will be 25th/26th overall?

That's a good deal??

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:07 AM
  #111
nullterm
Registered User
 
nullterm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port Moody, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,558
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
And aside from that, Malkin has played wing all season. If Crosby wanted a winger so badly he would have told Bylsma to put Malkin on his line.
At some point last season or playlets, he was asking.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:11 AM
  #112
Uindicator
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
Soooo, one of our best players and a possible 31st overall pick for, most likely, what will be 25th/26th overall?

That's a good deal??
I meant their potential top 5 pick obv.

Uindicator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:16 AM
  #113
Little Fury
Registered User
 
Little Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uindicator View Post
Penner or Hemsky + 2nd round 2011 for Bos 1st round 2011
See, there's this thing called a salary cap...

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:20 AM
  #114
misfit
5-14-6-1
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...ever
Posts: 16,068
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
See, there's this thing called a salary cap...
I can only assume you read that as Hemsky AND Penner rather than Hemsky OR Penner, because with Savard on LTIR, they should have enough room for either guy.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:34 AM
  #115
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 27,539
vCash: 2956
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I can only assume you read that as Hemsky AND Penner rather than Hemsky OR Penner, because with Savard on LTIR, they should have enough room for either guy.
Even if they had no cap space you could take Ryder and flip him for whatever.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:42 AM
  #116
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
I believe Tambellini has a GREAT chance to really load us up at this deadline. The reason being? Hemsky and/or Penner would be the top players available if the deadline were tomorrow. Who is better? Sens aren't dealing Alfredsson, Flames won't part with Iginla, Richards is in Dallas for the rest of the year, who is better than Hemsky or Penner in this year's trade market? We could REALLY bend a desperate team over (here's looking at you Dean Lombardi ).

As for those of you worried about a lack of vets if we deal Hemsky, or Penner, or whoever...you do realize we could get vets back in those deals don't you?

It is a sellers market this season and Tambellini could really hit a homerun.
Why on earth would a contending or team on the rise deal the very vets that comprise their team? Sorry, you are NOT getting good roster players from a team like the Kings. Lombardi or any other GM in that situation. He is not that stupid. If a team like the Kings wants to make a push and build off last seasons success, they will move prospects and/or picks to get a player like Hemsky or Penner to fill out their lineup. Count on it.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:44 AM
  #117
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,486
vCash: 500
Wow, this isn't surprising at all. Yes I know I'm jumping in late.

Seriously, Penner and Hemsky are going to get, and are probably getting, some seriously looks from teams. I mean the Kings who need a player of Hemsky or Penner's ilk, or the Habs as well.

I would be a bit surprised if both got dealt, but it wouldn't completely floor me, especially if there are some nice returns floating out there.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:48 AM
  #118
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 27,539
vCash: 2956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Why on earth would a contending or team on the rise deal the very vets that comprise their team? Sorry, you are NOT getting good roster players from a team like the Kings. Lombardi or any other GM in that situation. He is not that stupid. If a team like the Kings wants to make a push and build off last seasons success, they will move prospects and/or picks to get a player like Hemsky or Penner to fill out their lineup. Count on it.
It happens.

Atllanta Thrashers traded Ilya Kovalchuk, Anssi Salmela and a 2nd-round draft pick in 2010 to the New Jersey Devils for Niclas Bergfors, Johnny Oduya, Patrice Cormier, a 1st-round draft pick in 2010 and a 2nd-round draft pick in 2010 .

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:00 AM
  #119
misfit
5-14-6-1
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...ever
Posts: 16,068
vCash: 50
Colby Armstrong came back in the Hossa trade, and Glen Metropoilit came back in the Tkachuk trade. Halpern came back in the Richards deal, and the Sabres got Bernier for Campbell.

If those guys (and Oduya) are the kinds of players you're going to get back in a Hemsky trade, then you're better off keeping them, or upgrading the pick/prospect in the deal.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:03 AM
  #120
ponokanocker
Registered User
 
ponokanocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,521
vCash: 500
The veteran you would get back would be a poor fit for the top 6, so this can't be counted on. This team has done it without Hemsky for a large part of this season already, so losing him in a deal and not getting a veteran back is not something the team is not used to. Penner on the other hand would be a player that would be hard to replace. No, he doesn't fight or hit a lot, but he doesn't get pushed around or need protected either.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:03 AM
  #121
czar99
Registered User
 
czar99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Shultz'z Place
Posts: 4,134
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paajallberle View Post
Size can be used for things other than hitting and fighting. For example, Penner is probably one of the best players in the league when it comes to protecting the puck. He works magic along the boards and can even battle his way through multiple opposing players using his size. Penner is also our best forward when it comes to screening the goalie and crashing the net. He is hard for opposing defenceman to move out of the crease. He is also effective at using his size to create space for the other players to work. If you think his size means jack, you obviously don't watch him play.
Sure I'll agree with that, however he only shows up to do these thing once a week.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:12 AM
  #122
BlowbyBlow
Registered User
 
BlowbyBlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,366
vCash: 500
When thinking of trades I think of who's stupid and will overpay

Where's Mike Milbury when you need him!

In seriousness, I think the teams that we target are bubble teams and perhaps do it sooner than the trade deadline, because alot can change in the standings and I can see some teams falling out of the race completely. To me when you set the deadline as your day to trade to many teams have settled and decided on there future

I look at St. Louis and Columbus falling very soon, and that could be the type of team that you could offer up a Hemsky for a first rounder right now. Theres equal risk and equal rewards for both teams, because come deadline maybe Hemsky gets them in a playoff spot or maybe they fall down and are a 6-8 team overall. (I am a Hemsky fan but theres Omark, and potentially RNH in the waiting to be that type of player, and I also don't think Hemsky gets you much more)

You have to look at trades from both sides - both teams have to be willing to take risks. I have heard that in Atlanta they absolutely have to make the playoffs this year for there fanbase, much like when Columbus was handicapped a bit with talk like this a couple years back.

Target the vulnerable and the ones that will take equal risk.

Don't trade Penner unless you getting a quality prospect back such as Schenn from L.A. or Johansen from Columbus. Penner is way to undervalued come playoff time.

Someone said that clutching and grabbing are coming back little by little - and that is very evident in the playoffs. I still think Penner is in are future plans.

BlowbyBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:16 AM
  #123
BlowbyBlow
Registered User
 
BlowbyBlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,366
vCash: 500
I wanted to add to this when we had Pronger for trade, Lowe was offered Bobby Ryan. I think often we're scared to trade a 1 for 1 deal because of the pressure that player may endure. I mean Lupul wasn't even the only player in the Pronger trade and he felt pressure. If Tambo is trading he has too look at certain players and say does this guys character fit on this team. I know its hard a 1 for 1 deal but when you talk about 2-3 players for 1 good player your short selling yourself.

BlowbyBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:20 AM
  #124
Little Fury
Registered User
 
Little Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I can only assume you read that as Hemsky AND Penner rather than Hemsky OR Penner, because with Savard on LTIR, they should have enough room for either guy.
Nope, I realized that but forgot about Savard. That said, they could barely squeeze in one of Hemsky or Penner.

Anyhoo, this won't happen. Teams just don't trade lottery picks.

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:21 AM
  #125
ponokanocker
Registered User
 
ponokanocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
I'm doubt Yzerman wants to move Connolly but I don't mind Tyrell and Tokarski, although we dont need wingers, I don't mind Ashton, Panik, Gagne or Downie in return for a winger.
I do agree that getting Connolly is a long shot, but if we took back Gagne and Smith, sending Hemsky or Penner and Gerber, this gives them some decent cap space to go after a Phillips or another D-man to help them out. Yes Tampa has some very good young players(Stamkos, Hedman), but St. Louis, Malone, Ohlund and Rolosson aren't getting any younger. Hemsky or Penner is a player that could still be a part of their core for the next however many years still and play at a high level, and they take advantage of St. Louis's high level of play now. If it costs us our 2nd, so be it.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.