HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Regier was given a two year contract extension last fall

Old
01-31-2011, 10:42 PM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Regier was given a two year contract extension last fall

Quote:
It appears the Buffalo Sabres will finally announce the sale of the team to Pennsylvania billionaire Terry Pegula on Thursday. No surprise there.

But here's a stunning transaction they've never publicized: A contract extension was handed out some time last fall to embattled General Manager Darcy Regier, who was widely believed to be on his way out once Tom Golisano sold the franchise he purchased in 2003.

The News has learned Golisano gave Regier a two-year extension, a deal the team has never announced. The contract's total value is believed between $2 million and $2.5 million.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle329598.ece

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:46 PM
Pengo

Seriously though, this shouldn't matter too much. If whoever Pegula brings in to run the team decides that Regier is not the best guy for the job, then he'll be gone.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:17 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
What's another couple mil right Uncle Terry?

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:24 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Interesting. I think Pegula will keep him around for the summer at least, but obviously he could buy out the contract if he decided to.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:31 PM
ohheyimmark

Fuuuuuuu.

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

If Terry really wants to bring in his own people then just buy this guy out..pocket change!

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:05 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:07 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
No "insider info" folks, thanks.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:31 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:00 AM
Tra La La

Hopefully there is a Hockey Operations President over him till he's gone.(Who really runs things) I really don't ever want to hear Darcy talk again.

Send Darcy and his Blackberry to a corner somewhere. And keep the Darspeak off the air.

Last edited by Tra La La: 02-01-2011 at 04:32 AM.
Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:10 AM
Better Call Saul

There shouldn't be any panic over this. If Pegula wants Regier gone, do you really think he'd cheap out over $2 million after paying just under $190M to buy the team? Come on. If Regier stays on, it'll be because Pegula likes him - not because of this extension.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 04:15 AM
goooal

I'm somewhat glad. I think Regier deserves a shot at building a team. Hes been constricted over the past few years by Quinn, with a full budget and perhaps a bit more leash I think Regier could do good things.

goooal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 06:00 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

I'm more irritated at the secretive scum in Larry Quinn that's been running this team for far too long.

Okay fine give the guy an extension, but keeping it all a secret? What a joke.

It's pretty typical of his actions though... 1 good season and get a 2 year extension.

Did Lindy and all of his irreplaceable assistants get one too?

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 06:44 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
I've said all along that I think Pegula is going to give Regier and Ruff at least a year to prove themselves. There's enough of a sentiment in hockey circles that Golisano and Quinn meddled. Let's see what Regier can do with those two clown sandwiches out of the picture.

If the team underperforms next season, the final year will be bought out.

Last edited by Zip15: 02-01-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 07:05 AM
Clock

Beside a possible fear of fan backlash, are there any other good reasons why this wouldn't have been made public?

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 07:39 AM
Reddawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
Hopefully there is a Hockey Operations President over him till he's gone.(Who really runs things) I really don't ever want to hear Darcy talk again.

Send Darcy and his Blackberry to a corner somewhere. And keep the Darspeak off the air.
Yeah, because the Larry Quinn era has gone SO well...

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 07:51 AM
MLH

Tim Connolly handled the negotiations.

MLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 08:39 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by goooal View Post
I'm somewhat glad. I think Regier deserves a shot at building a team. Hes been constricted over the past few years by Quinn, with a full budget and perhaps a bit more leash I think Regier could do good things.
Agreed. They havent been perfect, but have done some things quite well.
From eveything you hear in the media, they remain highly regarded in the NHL and Regier and Ruff would have jobs elsewhere in two seconds.

I have no problem with them getting a shot. This is premised on them getting the legitimate opportunity to put their stamp on the team without (1) a meddling Larry Quinn (2) a heavily restricted DiPofi budget and (3) the opportunity to try to overcome the rep as being cheap/casting aside players (Peca/Briere/Dumont) (4) getting rid of dead wood.

That all said, the present make up of this team is lacking and I think it would probably take more than one year to modify sufficiently. I would gues that they put the parts in place, are let go and the next GM coach reap the benefits, like they did when they came on board.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 08:46 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

I wonder if this is a way for Quinn to take care of Regier because he had an inkling that Golisano would be getting out soon?

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
The funny thing about this is that the backlash is going to be directed primarily at Regier. But Regier didn't offer the contact to himself. Regier didn't sign the contract on behalf of the organization. And Regier sure as **** didn't make the decision not to make a press release about the issue.

So before you get pissed off at Regier for this, ask yourself who you should really be upset with...

P.S. Very strategic use of picture by TBN. A very smug looking Regier was the picture that they used. Bet that wasn't on purpose.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 08:58 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Beside a possible fear of fan backlash, are there any other good reasons why this wouldn't have been made public?
That seems the most plausible to me. Attendance and merch sales would have dropped if they would have announced this when it was signed.

Lying by omission, IMO, and it gets a hearty "**** you, Quinn" from me. This kind of sleazy **** makes me glad I cut them out of the budget this year. Both of these clowns need to be gone, the sooner the better. Time to clean house.

This is the good thing about having an owner willing to spend money to get what he wants though. If he doesn't like Regier, there's nothing to lose by buying him out and sending him packing. This kind of spending that goes above and beyond the salary cap is where teams in bigger markets have had an advantage. We might be in that group now.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 09:00 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Oh man. I wish i could have seen Bucky's face when he found this out.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 09:06 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Oh man. I wish i could have seen Bucky's face when he found this out.
Here ya go.

Old
02-01-2011, 09:09 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I wonder if this is a way for Quinn to take care of Regier because he had an inkling that Golisano would be getting out soon?
Or Regier had finally had enough of LQ's ******** and threatened to walk, and this was what it took to keep him here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
The funny thing about this is that the backlash is going to be directed primarily at Regier. But Regier didn't offer the contact to himself. Regier didn't sign the contract on behalf of the organization. And Regier sure as **** didn't make the decision not to make a press release about the issue.

So before you get pissed off at Regier for this, ask yourself who you should really be upset with...

P.S. Very strategic use of picture by TBN. A very smug looking Regier was the picture that they used. Bet that wasn't on purpose.
Whether it's fair or not - Regier is probably damaged goods now, if he wasn't before. If Pegula wants to come in and make a show of cleaning house or making a new start, Regier has to go now.

We'll see how this plays out with the fans and the local media, but I don't think he comes back next year.

Last edited by jlr: 02-01-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old
02-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Or Regier had finally had enough of LQ's ******** and threatened to walk, and this was what it took to keep him here.

Whether it's fair or not - Regier is probably damaged goods now, if he wasn't before. If Pegula wants to come in and make a show of cleaning house or making a new start, Regier has to go now.

We'll see how this plays out with the fans and the local media, but I don't think he comes back next year.
I agree. Darcy is too invested in the 'core' that he built. He's had some wins and some losses.
Ultimately, in my opinion, he hasn't put the team together that can show consistent effort and if not for Miller, would probably not even be a .500 team.

This lineup needs an overhaul, I dont think DR can put aside his work done in the past to focus on what needs done going forward.

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote