HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Phil Kessel

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-04-2011, 12:51 PM
  #276
RStar*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Red Deer
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck and Bills Fan View Post
Sorry is this not a thread about Kessels value??? Was that not a comment on Kessels value??? Oh waite yes and yes it is I made the thread!!!
I'm having a hard time understanding you.

I'm quite sure I'm not the only one.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 12:51 PM
  #277
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguins Dragon View Post
I never said he would have only 20 goals... it was a select minority, I called them out at the time, and still agree, they were blind homers\haters.

I am not arguing anything, I am calling out your hypocrisy... you can't in one thread gush and go on about how amazing Kessel is and how he doesn't need Savard... than the very next say "Well he only is on pace for 54 points because he has no center to play with"

That is hypocrisy.

I'm out. Carry on.
It's far from hypocrisy and you're refusing to answer my questions.

You're pretending last year didn't happen.

Goodbye.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 12:52 PM
  #278
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
The year Thomas and Fernandez shared awards for their amazing play in net for Boston?

Oh, I know! Maybe its because Kessel was playing amazing defence, blocking shots and hitting guys through the glass.

No? He wasn't? In fact he was the teams weak link on defence you say?

Hmmmm..... well if that's the case, seems a little strange to try and link Bostons past success to Kessel since they are having no problem with scoring right now, which is the only thing he ever brought to the team.

Oh well. You can try again with something else right?
He was the top goal scorer on the team and 3rd in points in only 70 games you say?

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 12:52 PM
  #279
RStar*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Red Deer
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Thats like saying we have a worse record since PJ Axellson left. Phil Kessel is not the only reason.
The Bruins car has a broken Axellson, proverbially of course.

Everyone knows that when PJ Axelsson left, so did the Bruins chance at a cup.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 12:53 PM
  #280
MN_Gopher
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mpls
Posts: 3,281
vCash: 2900
Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
Hes on pace for 30 this year, not 30 plus. You know what else hes on pace for? 54 points. Not anything to write home about, that's for sure.
There were only 24 players with 30 or more goals last year. Kessel was one. That alone screams that at least 6 other teams could very easily use a 30 goal scorer. He is a quiet 30 goal guy. That was his 2nd campaing and he is on pace for 30 this year. Thats a nice little line.

I wish the wild would get him.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 12:54 PM
  #281
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Thats like saying we have a worse record since PJ Axellson left. Phil Kessel is not the only reason.
Hey if you're saying life without Kessel is terrific, of course I'll bring up the fact the Bruins haven't been as good since that trade.

Kessel was by far the best goal scorer on the Bruins. PJ Axellson didn't do that.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 12:55 PM
  #282
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time
 
Tim Vezina Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
It's far from hypocrisy and you're refusing to answer my questions.

You're pretending last year didn't happen.

Goodbye.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
He was the top goal scorer on the team and 3rd in points in only 70 games you say?
You keep bringing up Kessel like he was the only reason we sucked offensively last year. Of course we did, but we also had 50 points from Chara and Wideman, 73 from Krejci, 83 from Savard and 27 goals from Ryder. You mean to tell me that Kessel leaving was the direct cause of us sucknig offensively last year? Not a chance, he was a large reason, definitly not the only one though.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 12:56 PM
  #283
RStar*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Red Deer
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
He was the top goal scorer on the team and 3rd in points in only 70 games you say?
Sure, I'll go ahead and say that. I'll also once again say that he was a defensive liability, and the Bruins team this year are having more success in the scoring department then when Kessel was there.

So, to break it down for you since you seem to be having trouble here, it goes like this. The Bruins, who are currently a better offensive team than when Kessel left, have no need for his goal scoring. They don't miss it. They also don't miss his lack of defensive effort. So your comment on "They got worse after he left!" is laughable. Honestly, it made me and other posters laugh because of how asinine it was.


So please, keep posting. You're providing entertainment for us all.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 12:57 PM
  #284
RStar*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Red Deer
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
There were only 24 players with 30 or more goals last year. Kessel was one. That alone screams that at least 6 other teams could very easily use a 30 goal scorer. He is a quiet 30 goal guy. That was his 2nd campaing and he is on pace for 30 this year. Thats a nice little line.

I wish the wild would get him.
No one has ever said Kessel isn't one of the better goal scorers in the league. Certainly not me.

If anyone does try using that as an argument, they're an idiot.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 12:58 PM
  #285
Krazy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,839
vCash: 500
Oh my lord. People take continuous variables and make them absolute.

With Savard and Lucic Kessel scored 36 in 70
With Bozak and Kulemin Kessel scored 30 in 70
With Bozak and Crabb Kessel is on pace to score 30 in 82.

So yes, better linemates are helping him, as his production is going down as his linemates get worse. What we also see is that his production does not change that much. Last year, watch the footage. Kessel scored about 25 of his 30 goals pretty much on his own. Check youtube. There is footage of all 30 goals in a row.

Bottom line is Kessel is an elite goal scorer at a young age who can make a lot of offence completely on his own. That doesnt mean that he wouldnt produce more with better linemates.

Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:03 PM
  #286
Krazy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck and Bills Fan View Post
Sorry is this not a thread about Kessels value??? Was that not a comment on Kessels value??? Oh waite yes and yes it is I made the thread!!!
again can you make a logical argument as to why a person who has scored 1 less goal per season than Parise, Carter, Marleau and Kovalchuck despite being younger is not worth a first round pick and would not make the top 6 of most teams in the league. Other than he looks fat and old?


Stats would help please, i posted the goals/game of the top 10 goal scorers in this thread. Thank you

Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:04 PM
  #287
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time
 
Tim Vezina Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
Oh my lord. People take continuous variables and make them absolute.

With Savard and Lucic Kessel scored 36 in 70
With Bozak and Kulemin Kessel scored 30 in 70
With Bozak and Crabb Kessel is on pace to score 30 in 82.

So yes, better linemates are helping him, as his production is going down as his linemates get worse. What we also see is that his production does not change that much. Last year, watch the footage. Kessel scored about 25 of his 30 goals pretty much on his own. Check youtube. There is footage of all 30 goals in a row.

Bottom line is Kessel is an elite goal scorer at a young age who can make a lot of offence completely on his own. That doesnt mean that he wouldnt produce more with better linemates.
Pretty sure no one refuted that...

At least I didnt.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:17 PM
  #288
Dwatson783
@dwatson783
 
Dwatson783's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 2,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I noticed you left out their record... That has regressed. They haven't been as good since that trade.
Did you miss the part where I said average points taken per game? That would indicate record. Which still has them at the top of the conference.

Dwatson783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:18 PM
  #289
Seguins Dragon*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In Carls Garage
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
It's far from hypocrisy and you're refusing to answer my questions.

You're pretending last year didn't happen.

Goodbye.
How is it far from hypocrisy??.. unless you don't understand what the word means...

What was you're question I am refusing to answer??

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:19 PM
  #290
RStar*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Red Deer
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Pretty sure no one refuted that...

At least I didnt.
No one did.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:52 PM
  #291
Canuck and Bills Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 205
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Krazy
"Stats would help please, i posted the goals/game of the top 10 goal scorers in this thread. Thank you"

My point this whole time has been that his value HAS DROPPED you want stats currently this year he is
PHIL KESSEL 51 GP 19 GOALS 15 ASSISTS 34 POINTS -20 +/ -
That puts him 5th in scoring on the Leafs???? Not what you expect from your franchise player am I wrong? Everyone says he will hit 30 I say he will fall just short but who really cares + or – 1 or 2 goals. He is currently 5th in scoring on a Leafs team struggling to make the playoffs now MY POINT if Kessels performance is along the way it has been even since he joined Toronto even the league than maybe you guys would be in the playoffs right now. There is no hiding the fact his numbers are slipping this year STATS are STATS and they don’t lie. My question is why are his numbers dropping especially since last year?

Canuck and Bills Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:57 PM
  #292
Confound
-Vindicated-
 
Confound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 17,580
vCash: 500
The Bruins offer Tyler Seguin, Jared Knight and Tor's first 2011.

How original of me.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 02:13 PM
  #293
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor
 
BruinsBtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Huh? I'm saying one guy can't turn a franchise into a contender. What does Savard have to do with it? The Kessel needs Savard argument was killed last year when Kessel got 30 goals in 70 games coming off an injury and played with crappy linemates.
You said he was "vastly underutilized" and would "easily" surpass his previous totals. And that Julien was a terrible coach because he didn't give Kessel top PP minutes. With those minutes in Toronto you said he would far surpass his old totals.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 02:24 PM
  #294
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time
 
Tim Vezina Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsButton View Post
You said he was "vastly underutilized" and would "easily" surpass his previous totals. And that Julien was a terrible coach because he didn't give Kessel top PP minutes. With those minutes in Toronto you said he would far surpass his old totals.
The basic jist of his argument is Kessel didnt need Savard to produce, which he proved last year...but this year he isn't producing a lot because he has crap linemates.

Makes perfect sense.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 02:29 PM
  #295
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time
 
Tim Vezina Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck and Bills Fan View Post
Originally Posted by Krazy
"Stats would help please, i posted the goals/game of the top 10 goal scorers in this thread. Thank you"

My point this whole time has been that his value HAS DROPPED you want stats currently this year he is
PHIL KESSEL 51 GP 19 GOALS 15 ASSISTS 34 POINTS -20 +/ -
That puts him 5th in scoring on the Leafs???? Not what you expect from your franchise player am I wrong? Everyone says he will hit 30 I say he will fall just short but who really cares + or – 1 or 2 goals. He is currently 5th in scoring on a Leafs team struggling to make the playoffs now MY POINT if Kessels performance is along the way it has been even since he joined Toronto even the league than maybe you guys would be in the playoffs right now. There is no hiding the fact his numbers are slipping this year STATS are STATS and they don’t lie. My question is why are his numbers dropping especially since last year?
His stats arent that good because he has ****** linemates, and the opposing teams top D men can play against him all the time because the Leafs are not a good team. Hes also just having a crappy year altogether, which happens.

Like I've said before, the kid is a superb offensive talent, but hes a superb offensive talent with no other talent around him which he needs to be successful (as you can see from his stats).

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 02:45 PM
  #296
Canuck and Bills Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
His stats arent that good because he has ****** linemates, and the opposing teams top D men can play against him all the time because the Leafs are not a good team. Hes also just having a crappy year altogether, which happens.

Like I've said before, the kid is a superb offensive talent, but hes a superb offensive talent with no other talent around him which he needs to be successful (as you can see from his stats).

Thank you GOD finally someone admits he is having a bad year!!!!!! KOODOS buddy now lets hope he just may turn things around but it is a very bad year. Not just because of the players he is playing with him but because he is just not performing to his potential hence his value is lower RIGHT NOW!!!!

Well Kovy is playing with better line mates this year and his numbers are dropping?? Line mates help yes but they arenít everything Kessel will STRUGGLE to get 30 this year better line mates wont give him another 20.

Canuck and Bills Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 02:48 PM
  #297
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,592
vCash: 500
How is this thread STILL going? Started by a troll, and he continues to fuel it. Don't people get banned or infractions for that?

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 02:49 PM
  #298
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time
 
Tim Vezina Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck and Bills Fan View Post
Thank you GOD finally someone admits he is having a bad year!!!!!! KOODOS buddy now lets hope he just may turn things around but it is a very bad year. Not just because of the players he is playing with him but because he is just not performing to his potential hence his value is lower RIGHT NOW!!!!

Well Kovy is playing with better line mates this year and his numbers are dropping?? Line mates help yes but they arenít everything Kessel will STRUGGLE to get 30 this year better line mates wont give him another 20.
I'm a Bruins fan so I probably dont count...

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 02:54 PM
  #299
Canuck and Bills Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
How is this thread STILL going? Started by a troll, and he continues to fuel it. Don't people get banned or infractions for that?
Guess this troll has made some valid points
If you read the thread it actually contains some great points!
Sorry buddy but this troll is here to stay I have already had a couple of MOD's msg me to say good thread!

Canuck and Bills Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 03:01 PM
  #300
TaketheCannoli
RIP
 
TaketheCannoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 8,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck and Bills Fan View Post
Seeing Kessel`s point production right now and his mediocre performance so far this year I am wondering what value you would offer Toronto for Kessel right now? I am betting at least 90% of all NHL teams would not trade a single first round pick for Kessel right now.It was no shock he went last at the All Star game he was the worst player available. He did not look like a professional athlete I thought he was a contestant on Pros VS Joes. So would any NHL teams would offer Toronto a first for him! Would he even be a top 6 player on 50% of NHL teams right now Vancouver says NO!!! He would not play in the Canucks top 9 right now.
Kessel is a very good player who could play on the top line of most teams. He's not a franchise player, nor a guy to build a team around, but he would make almost any team better, if they had a solid player to pair him with on their top line.

What's his value? . He's definitely worth a high 1st round pick and a top end prospect.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.