HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Phil Kessel

Old
02-02-2011, 08:11 PM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoWarrior View Post
If they could get get them for the same value, they would definitely take Kesler. He has played great as a crash and bang winger in the past. His faceoff abilities are also a bonus because both Malkin and Jordan Staal are very poor at faceoffs and Kesler could take important draws if need be. Kesler's work in the corners, work in front of the net and elite backchecking would make life easier for Malkin; a guy who goes to the dirty areas, gives Malkin more space and alleviates some of his defensive responsibilities would be more beneficial. I would give Kessel the slight edge in goalscoring, but it's definitely debatable. Kessel scores well when he's given space to skate down the wing and shoot, whereas Kesler scores goals in a variety of ways. Also, Kesler is cheaper.

In the real world though, yes Pitts would pursue Kessel before Kesler. They have a piece in Jordan Staal that could possibly be had for Kessel+. Not that either team would do this, but at least there's a basis for a trade. Kesler would take more than a reasonable amount to acquire.
You're nuts, as indicated by the fact that you think Kesler is anywhere near the goalscorer that Kessel is. Most of his goals come from skating down the wing and shooting -- that's because he rarely if ever gets set up. With the same price, Pittsburgh would pursue the almost perfect winger for Kunitz-Crosby way before another centre.

In the real world though, the only guys that Pittsburgh has which could lure Kessel out of Toronto are Crosby/Malkin. You don't trade your only premier talent for a 2nd/3rd line player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatcanuck View Post
Way before Kesler?
Versatile Top 6 C?
Goalscoring?

Jfriedt I know your not known as the most educated poster on HF and tend to have certain homerisms, but do I need to explain any of this to you or will you figure this out on your own?
Believe it or not, if Kessel is as good as you say, Toronto would not be one of the top contenders again for a lottery pick.

ps. even Ron Wilson picked Kesler to play more important and more minutes than Kessel. But what do real NHL players and coaches know. Amrite?
Way before Kesler? absolutely. Versatile centres do grow on trees for Pittsburgh, premier wingers do not.

medhatcanuck, I know Canucks fans are not known as the most educated posters on HF and tend to have certain homerisms, but do I need to explain any of this to you or will you figure this out on your own?
Believe it or not, if Kesler didn't play behind the Sedins, he wouldn't produce anywhere near what he does today and wouldn't be as overrated as he is.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:12 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
lol?

I mean, I'm and Oilers fan... but if the Oilers traded a top ten pick for Phil Kessel I would just lose it.

Honestly, I think the level of rage would be similar to the amount of tears i shed when Lowe traded Smyth.
Did you see Edmonton on that list?

Old
02-02-2011, 08:21 PM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
I would trade Jeff Carter for Kessel
Yeah I could see that I guess, Richards stays before Carter and Danny Briere is have an amazing year.

Hartnell - Richards - Giroux
Leino - Briere - Kessel

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:31 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
Yeah I could see that I guess, Richards stays before Carter and Danny Briere is have an amazing year.

Hartnell - Richards - Giroux
Leino - Briere - Kessel
I think that second line would be sick and then you have that power forward on the richards line

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:49 PM
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
found your house:
Hide yo kids hide yo wife
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtZfW2z9dw

LolungoReboundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Rude Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habiton View Post
He wouldnt be top 6 in MTL

Patches-Gomez-Gionta
AK46-Pleks-Cammy

Unless we have an injury, he wouldnt be playing there unless he replaced Gionta or Cammy...which is highly unlikely. We have enough small underproducing players.

Im sure he could fetch a top 10 pick.
Yeah, there is no way Kessel cracks that hall of fame top 6. I think someone has forgotten that the Habs are in the bottom third of the league in goals scored. I'll give props to both Pleks and Cammy. I like Gionta but he's not getting any younger. Patches is a good young power forward. But Gomez and AK46...really?

Truth be told. Taking into consideration age etc. There is no way I would even consider trading Kessel for any of your top six straight up at this point in their careers.

Rude Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Rude Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
lol?

I mean, I'm and Oilers fan... but if the Oilers traded a top ten pick for Phil Kessel I would just lose it.

Honestly, I think the level of rage would be similar to the amount of tears i shed when Lowe traded Smyth.
I think Kessel is easily worth a 1st rounder in the draft (outside a top 3-5 pick). I don't think it's the outcome of last year's 1st rounder that hurts so much. It's the fact we gave up a 2nd 1st rounder that's the killer.

Rude Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:09 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
I would trade Jeff Carter for Kessel

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:04 PM
ManoWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
You're nuts, as indicated by the fact that you think Kesler is anywhere near the goalscorer that Kessel is. Most of his goals come from skating down the wing and shooting -- that's because he rarely if ever gets set up. With the same price, Pittsburgh would pursue the almost perfect winger for Kunitz-Crosby way before another centre.

In the real world though, the only guys that Pittsburgh has which could lure Kessel out of Toronto are Crosby/Malkin. You don't trade your only premier talent for a 2nd/3rd line player.
I'm sorry. I forgot that Kessel was 3rd in league goal-scoring. I should have done some research other than those god-awful games I'm subjected to every Saturday. 52 games games in, and Kesler only needs 7 more goals to eclipse Kessel's career high, which just so happens to have been with one of the best playmakers in the league. Will you consider Kesler somewhat close to Kessel in terms of goal scoring when he surpasses Phil's career high?

ManoWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:14 PM
ORRMAN

I doubt that more than 10% of HF posters would take Kessel over Kesler. I'm amazed anyone - even Leafs fans - is trying to make that case.

ORRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:20 PM
Canuck and Bills Fan

Wow 3,961 views and 134 posts when is this thread going to be locked? Not bad for a Troll.... Thanks for all the bashing keep it up its funny I think I am here to stay on the HF boards! Oh yeah and Toronto fans again I do hope Kessel turns things around Toronto being this bad is not good for the NHL. But what I wanted to accomplish from this thread is that he is having an awful year he should be the top scorer or at least near the top in numbers EVERY year that’s what you guys deserve out of him and your not getting it. All because I truly believe he is not healthy!

Canuck and Bills Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:21 PM
ProstheticConscience
Seeing is believing

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck and Bills Fan View Post
Wow 3,961 views and 134 posts when is this thread going to be locked? Not bad for a Troll.... Thanks for all the bashing keep it up its funny I think I am here to stay on the HF boards! Oh yeah and Toronto fans again I do hope Kessel turns things around Toronto being this bad is not good for the NHL. But what I wanted to accomplish from this thread is that he is having an awful year he should be the top scorer or at least near the top in numbers EVERY year thatís what you guys deserve out of him and your not getting it. All because I truly believe he is not healthy!
^^^^^^^^^^See guys? THIS is why you're not supposed to feed the trolls.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Canuck and Bills Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRMAN View Post
I doubt that more than 10% of HF posters would take Kessel over Kesler. I'm amazed anyone - even Leafs fans - is trying to make that case.
Right now I could name at least 3-5 other LEAFS I would rather have than Kessel!

Old
02-02-2011, 11:33 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

I would take Kesler over Kessel in a heartbeat and so would the majority of posters here and it's not really that close.

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Canuck and Bills Fan

So we have established in this thread most teams would not give up a top 5 pick for Kessel some team would not even give up a first. How about a top prospect as a Canucks fan salary cap aside I would say it would not be a slam-dunk Hodgson for Kessel. The way Kessel is playing right now I have to say say right now it’s a safe bet that an NHL franchise would be better off having Hodgson than Kessel. So how about Seguin as a NHL fan I would rather have Seguin on a roster than Kessel. Is this not a fair evaluation of Kessels value?

Old
02-03-2011, 12:11 PM
shibbiness

To sum this thread up, OP is a troll, or he's just .

shibbiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post

Way before Kesler? absolutely. Versatile centres do grow on trees for Pittsburgh, premier wingers do not.

medhatcanuck, I know Canucks fans are not known as the most educated posters on HF and tend to have certain homerisms, but do I need to explain any of this to you or will you figure this out on your own?
Believe it or not, if Kesler didn't play behind the Sedins, he wouldn't produce anywhere near what he does today and wouldn't be as overrated as he is.
Considering Kesler is as adept at LW as he is at center, is on pace to obliterate Kessel's career high in goals, and could actually grind it out for Crosby and Malkin in the corners while playing superb defense for them... yeah, they take Kesler over Kessel in a heartbeat, and the rest of the league resigns from hockey because at that moment it officially becomes no longer fair.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:59 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
Seeing Kessel`s point production right now and his mediocre performance so far this year I am wondering what value you would offer Toronto for Kessel right now? I am betting at least 90% of all NHL teams would not trade a single first round pick for Kessel right now.It was no shock he went last at the All Star game he was the worst player available. He did not look like a professional athlete I thought he was a contestant on Pros VS Joes. So would any NHL teams would offer Toronto a first for him! Would he even be a top 6 player on 50% of NHL teams right now Vancouver says NO!!! He would not play in the Canucks top 9 right now.
why would toronto trade kessel away when brad richards is coming to town?

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
So we have established in this thread most teams would not give up a top 5 pick for Kessel some team would not even give up a first. How about a top prospect as a Canucks fan salary cap aside I would say it would not be a slam-dunk Hodgson for Kessel. The way Kessel is playing right now I have to say say right now itís a safe bet that an NHL franchise would be better off having Hodgson than Kessel. So how about Seguin as a NHL fan I would rather have Seguin on a roster than Kessel. Is this not a fair evaluation of Kessels value?

Not really, no.

Good troll thread though.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 02:27 PM
HappyGilmourr

lol it's funny... there was a "Value of Seguin" thread yesterday with everyone talking about how Seguin is having a poor rookie season. The thread got locked in two minutes... This thread will be open for all leaf bashers though so come on out!

Old
02-03-2011, 02:35 PM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
why would toronto trade kessel away when brad richards is coming to town?
It's funny you that sarcastically because I actually wouldn't trade Kessel away if we got Richards.

If we had an elite centre for Kessel I actually don't think I would trade Kessel for Kesler. Kessel would probably be potting in 40 goals a season and we would have two good centre men in Richards, Grabovski and Nazem Kadri in the Marlies.

Old
02-03-2011, 02:56 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatlender View Post
Considering Kesler is as adept at LW as he is at center, is on pace to obliterate Kessel's career high in goals, and could actually grind it out for Crosby and Malkin in the corners while playing superb defense for them... yeah, they take Kesler over Kessel in a heartbeat, and the rest of the league resigns from hockey because at that moment it officially becomes no longer fair.
Considering Kessel would problably flirt with 60 goals while playing alongside Kunitz-Crosby, they take Kessel over Kesler in a heartbeat.

Old
02-03-2011, 03:08 PM
slapshots1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wheeled Winger View Post
Kessel is a first line winger. The problem for Toronto is that he's the sort of first line winger you add to a team with a developed core to add a serious scoring punch, not the sort you build around. Honestly, I think he'd make the perfect addition to the Crosby line. Both he and Crosby have enough offensive vision and goalscoring talent to feed off of eachother. Toss a 1st line capable banger on the other wing to make space (which they already have in Kunitz) and you've got a tremendous line.

Kessel is an excellent player in the right situation; Toronto is not the right situation.
Correct all around. He's like Heatley. Heatley in Ottawa and Atlanta, uninspired, was good but not great. Heatley in SJ with Thornton looks like one of the most dominant players in the league.

slapshots1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 03:10 PM
BruinsDude

Value..hahahhaha

He stinks in the playoffs
He was benched by Julien

BruinsDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 03:13 PM
slapshots1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatlender View Post
Well your last line gives me a pretty good guess at what your fan affiliation is.

And you're wrong. Kesler is one of my absolute favorite players in the league-I've grown up watching him since he's a local guy-but Pittsburgh is a team that needs Kessel FAR more, because of what he could be with Crosby or Malkin (but it would be Crosby).

Plus, that line you're crafting in your head of Crosby-Malkin-Kesler wouldn't work nearly as well as you seem to think it would. Certainly not "unfair for the rest of the league", lol.

slapshots1515 is offline   Reply With Quote