HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Washington Capitals vs Montreal Canadiens Feb.1.2011, 7:30p.m.

Old
02-02-2011, 05:01 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
LOL late first, yeah thats a laugher. Is it too early to start thinking with every OTL that we are improving our draft position? Hey the value of that 1 is skyrocketing and should help George especially since he probably spent his upcoming 2nd's. I'd consider moving it. If not, the late teens should land us a top rated Russian. Book it.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:14 PM
HTFN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
LOL late first, yeah thats a laugher. Is it too early to start thinking with every OTL that we are improving our draft position? Hey the value of that 1 is skyrocketing and should help George especially since he probably spent his upcoming 2nd's. I'd consider moving it. If not, the late teens should land us a top rated Russian. Book it.
There aren't any, really.

Using TSR's mid-season rankings, the first Russian is Khokhlachev at 28th, and he's already in the OHL. Namestnikov at 38th (OHL), and the first Russian league Russian is Shalunov at 47th.

I still expect the pick to be somewhere in the 20's, late 3rd of the draft is late to me, and I can't find anything of interest.

Only real hope for me is that Victor Rask slides up into our range, or we drop down into his. Other than that, I can't find any players of real interest. Musil could continue his fall, I guess, but how many young defensemen does this team really need?

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Langway
Intangibles

I like what I've seen/heard about Mika Zibanejad & Mark McNeill, two fairly big well-rounded centers. The two Russians in North America probably do have first round talent but they're pretty small and the pipeline is pretty small as it is.

In the right deal maybe it would make sense but at this point I'm not sure this team is close enough overall to go for it by selling off significant pieces of the farm. That conclusion could perhaps dictate being more aggressive at the deadline but hopefully not recklessly so. It would be out of character.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:36 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I like what I've seen/heard about Mika Zibanejad & Mark McNeill, two fairly big well-rounded centers. The two Russians in North America probably do have first round talent but they're pretty small and the pipeline is pretty small as it is.

In the right deal maybe it would make sense but at this point I'm not sure this team is close enough overall to go for it by selling off significant pieces of the farm. That conclusion could perhaps dictate being more aggressive at the deadline but hopefully not recklessly so. It would be out of character.
McNeill is interesting, but I guess he's just someone that I wouldn't really consider if using the pick were to acquire someone worthwhile right now. He looks attractive, but it's so hard for me to trust production when a guy is that big already. I don't know. If I'm GMGM, I don't draft a center unless I'm certain he's skilled enough to be a top 6 player, and even then, it looks like time is running out before that spot gets taken.

I look LW, RW, or trade, with the wing priorities switching depending on which side Kuznetsov is likely to play (assuming, of course, that he's not actually drafted for Center).

Old
02-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
I look LW, RW, or trade, with the wing priorities switching depending on which side Kuznetsov is likely to play (assuming, of course, that he's not actually drafted for Center).
Kuznetsov would be like Malkin. Not that impressive in the dot but good playmaker and potent goal scorer. IMHO.

He doesn't possess really big size so he will start at wing. I'm sure.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 06:43 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruProf View Post
Kuznetsov would be like Malkin. Not that impressive in the dot but good playmaker and potent goal scorer. IMHO.

He doesn't possess really big size so he will start at wing. I'm sure.
That's what I'd need to know in terms of the draft. It's time to take a short break from the centers, and fix up the suddenly bad LW depth.

Until that time, I wouldn't really mind seeing this team take a stab at someone like Andrew Brunette for a year in a diminished role, perhaps swapping up and down with Laich on the 2nd line as needed, based on performance. Assuming, of course, that Laich re-signs, and that Knuble is still around (or someone of somewhat equal presence).

It's funny, but just looking at pending UFA's, I wouldn't mind welcoming Bruno and Upshall to the team at the end of the year.

It'd probably take a fair bit of mixing around, but starting the year out with:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Fehr
Brunette-Johansson-Semin
Laich-Somebody-Upshall

as a top 9 looks good enough to me, especially if the term on the Brunette contract were short enough (1 year) to be replaced by Kuznetsov at the end of that season.

Old
02-03-2011, 10:36 PM
capsfan528

yaaaaaa

capsfan528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
If the answer is in the locker room, I am surprised they haven't found it.

I think George has the answer, and its in the form of a valid 2C. Its going to cost him. If Semin isn't creating offense on his own or is injured going through the motions, we have no second scoring line. When Ovi is off, we are totally dead in the water.

Someone Google how to win in the NHL with zero scoring lines. I bet this post will be your only result.

My prediction of a kid to part with, Galiev.
That would be great if he had more value than a wet paper bag to other teams. Only real prospect we have that any other team would find attractive and we might be willing to move as well is Eakin, maybe Wey. Orlov and Kuznetsov would net much less than they are worth due to the Russian factor, at least until they're over playing in the pros in NA (and doing it well), and everyone else is pretty much worthless.

I've said it before, but if we're going with a grinding mentality, might as well be cheap as balls and spend maybe a 4th on Kelly and another 4th on Grier. Chimera-Kelly-Grier would be an absolute pain in the ass line to play against despite having collectively 0 puck skills. But they could probably cycle it for 18 minutes a night and totally tire out other teams.

Last edited by Alex28*: 02-03-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote