HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Stortini on Waivers

Old
02-02-2011, 12:25 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't really like this?

Jacques can hit but he doesn't fight as often as Stortini
MacIntyre can fight but he can't really play a full shift.

Stortini gets in those middleweight fights that attempt to spark the team, and also provides energy for the 4th line. I would have wanted to see Jacques outplay Storts a little more before Stortini was waived.

He might get claimed too, if Calgary claims him I will be mad

Lol I think it would be funny.Mac vs Stortini = Godsmack cryin like a b####.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:33 AM
Oilerdiehard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
C'mon. The huggy bear comments and Stortini can't fight worth **** digs were there from day one and I know it because I was one of the guys saying it. The org spent 5 yrs and 260GP on this guy. For whatever reason.

What this org needs to do a much better job of is actually recruiting validly to stock positions and not just filling with whatever junk they could find.

Check back here 4-5 yrs ago. Nobody thinks Storts is a hockey player way back then. Curiously though this org did. Or its just duping us for years and can't be bothered getting anything better.

No shame for Storts and good luck to him. But shame on the org for foisting 5 yrs of this player on us.

The trouble with all these is they are just questionable prospects to begin with. Although I tried hard to cheer on Pouliot he was never my pick.

JFJ had 158 hits last season in 49GP, he has another 60hits so far this year and looking to do the same. This is bad? He's even on the year. On a 30th place club. He deserves a medal for learning how to dog paddle in quicksand..
Like I mentioned a couple seasons ago he was actually doing more fighting and a lot less hugging. Also he was not fighting all the time like he was extremely nervous about getting hurt every second of the fight. Then the following season and this one he is as bad and possibly worse than ever with that whole thing.

I honestly think the organization thought he was getting there (to the player they hoped he would develop into). So they stuck with him. After last season I wonder if they thought as I did that maybe it was just an off season and we would see him get back on track this season. But as I mentioned when roster spot decisions and the like force your hand. You eventually have to make a call on a guy.

Yeah I remember you were fairly high on Pouliot. I remember starting to worry about the guy on I think it was his second training camp. The Oilers coaches and management openly hinted that he had a bit of a disappointing camp. As did many fans posting. But when Pouliot was asked about his camp he thought he had a really good one and performed well. I still had hopes for him of course but that was a red flag for me on the guys psyche and never wanting to look at himself as not giving enough.

Well JFJ has not been as bad as last season I will say that much. He has also shown some signs of coming around lately. But like usual he seems to bust out of the gate hitting everything that moved and racking up some nice hit totals. Then he hits long stretches where he totally disappears and hits nothing and does nothing. I am not even getting into the fact that the guy seems to have no anticipation of the play or general hockey sense. He is frightened to handle the puck most of the time and it is a hot potato on his stick. But at least the Oilers are using him more in a role that he should be capable of. Which is 4th line with limited minutes. He is averaging about 7 minutes which is where he should be. I will give Renney credit for using him better than Quinn and I will watch him closely the rest of the way. Maybe I am being a tad too hard on the big man made out of glass?

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:43 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Stortini accomplishes nothing, the NHL is not a charity league and the guy has made a good living doing nothing other than being a goof and hugging it out.
Oiler fans , classy to the end .

I agree with Beerfish and misfit . On a team this bad Stortini is not the first guy you waive . And contrary to what some folks will post , Stortini was a good soldier here . Lead the league in fighting majors in 08-09 and never turned down anybody if you look at his dance card . No doubt he lost more fights than he won and he did some holding on but he chalked up almost seventy NHL fights and the only folks who will call that "hugging" are guys who aren't dropping the gloves .

Hey , look at Semenko "hugging it out" against Brown in this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjnGkKShrIM

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 06:34 AM
Hemsky4PM

A caller to Oilers Lunch speculated the Stortini is playing (and fighting) with a broken hand. When you watch the Barch fight, it looks like that's not a bad guess.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 07:57 AM
napaneeoilfan

Its too bad I always liked Stortini, he just never really developed. Fighting and rough stuff is a part of the game, but scoring and defensive play is a bigger part. Too bad he couldn't put it all together.

napaneeoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:12 AM
Little Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
That is somewhat ironic, but Bucky was able to be a very serviceable hockey player despite his fighting record. If Stortini had a fraction of the intangibles that Bucky did, we wouldnt be having this conversation about him being waived.
Point is people tend to focus on things like a guy's record as a scrapper at the expense of other qualities. If HF existed during Bucky's heyday, I guarantee he'd be getting the same rap as Stortini today. Now, is Stortini as good at the actual hockey part as Bucky was? I don't know. But he's better than MacIntyre and arguably JFJ, so in that light this move makes me think someone in the Oilers brass is spending too much time at hockeyfights.com.

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Oiler fans , classy to the end .

I agree with Beerfish and misfit . On a team this bad Stortini is not the first guy you waive . And contrary to what some folks will post , Stortini was a good soldier here . Lead the league in fighting majors in 08-09 and never turned down anybody if you look at his dance card . No doubt he lost more fights than he won and he did some holding on but he chalked up almost seventy NHL fights and the only folks who will call that "hugging" are guys who aren't dropping the gloves .

Hey , look at Semenko "hugging it out" against Brown in this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjnGkKShrIM
It's not classless, it's being honest: Stortini is embarrassing. Saying he "did some holding on" is the understatement of the year. Trying to tar Sememko with the same brush is completely laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
A caller to Oilers Lunch speculated the Stortini is playing (and fighting) with a broken hand. When you watch the Barch fight, it looks like that's not a bad guess.
Then don't fight. Let it be known that you have a bad wing. Players will respect that and move on to the next guy.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Joe Hallenback

Wasn't Bucky a pretty damm good penalty killer?

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:23 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Wasn't Bucky a pretty damm good penalty killer?
I think he was, and could actually skate alot better then Zach, iirc.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:23 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
Point is people tend to focus on things like a guy's record as a scrapper at the expense of other qualities. If HF existed during Bucky's heyday, I guarantee he'd be getting the same rap as Stortini today. Now, is Stortini as good at the actual hockey part as Bucky was? I don't know. But he's better than MacIntyre and arguably JFJ, so in that light this move makes me think someone in the Oilers brass is spending too much time at hockeyfights.com.
So you guarantee, yet you've never seen Buchberger play?

Bucky was very strong defensively, a great PKer, and gave absolutely everything he had. We were proud to have him as our captain. Stortini is a mere shadow of what Bucky was. The only similarity is that they lost a lot of fights.

Old
02-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post

Bucky was very strong defensively, a great PKer, and gave absolutely everything he had. We were proud to have him as our captain. Stortini is a mere shadow of what Bucky was. The only similarity is that they lost a lot of fights.
And, iirc, they lost fights, in VERY different ways, where Storts would "hug" and clutch, Bucky would just get pounded, because the guys he fought were generally big and better at fighting then him.

Old
02-02-2011, 08:29 AM
Little Fury

Quote:
Where did I say I never saw Bucky play?

Quote:
You're nuts if you think people would be able to overlook that today.

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:32 AM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I think he was, and could actually skate alot better then Zach, iirc.
Are you actually saying that a worse skater than Kelly "take 'em wide" Buchberger actually exists?

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:35 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
It's not classless, it's being honest: Stortini is embarrassing.
I beg to differ . imo it is classless to call a young man who came in and fought basically the whole league as a 22 year old a "goof" on the day he gets cut from the team . It is also inaccurate to say that Stortini did nothing but "hug it out" . If you care to look at hockeyfights.com log you'll see he's actually had some very good fights . Embarrassing ? Meh , people get embarrassed by different things I guess .
Quote:
Saying he "did some holding on" is the understatement of the year.
If folks are going to fill the thread with hyperbole about hugging I think there's room for a little understatement on my part , no ?
Quote:
Trying to tar Sememko with the same brush is completely laughable.
Not doing that and you know it . Hanging on is a reasonable tactic used by all smart fighters to avoid beatings . Semenko was hanging on for dear life in that clip , and it looks to me like he may have even been mocked a bit by Brown for it as the refs were breaking them up . Stortini just never learned to look good while not throwing a lot of punches .

Are there any players you and I agree on ?

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:37 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Are you actually saying that a worse skater than Kelly "take 'em wide" Buchberger actually exists?
I'm pretty sure Storts is worse, and I know Smack is, lol.

Old
02-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I beg to differ . imo it is classless to call a young man who came in and fought basically the whole league as a 22 year old a "goof" on the day he gets cut from the team . It is also inaccurate to say that Stortini did nothing but "hug it out" . If you care to look at hockeyfights.com log you'll see he's actually had some very good fights . Embarrassing ? Meh , people get embarrassed by different things I guess .
If folks are going to fill the thread with hyperbole about hugging I think there's room for a little understatement on my part , no ?
Not doing that and you know it . Hanging on is a reasonable tactic used by all smart fighters to avoid beatings . Semenko was hanging on for dear life in that clip , and it looks to me like he may have even been mocked a bit by Brown for it as the refs were breaking them up . Stortini just never learned to look good while not throwing a lot of punches .

Are there any players you and I agree on ?
Horcoff is overpaid?

Semenko was a better fighter at the end of his career, when the fire had died, than Stortini ever was. That he fought Brown, and decisioned him, in Brown's heyday no less, is a testament to Semenk.

There's a big difference between using hanging on as a last resort, and using it as your game plan. Also note that Semenko simply tied Brown up. He didn't start the stupid spinning leaning far away, burying his head in his opponent's chest crap that Stortini pulls.

Stortini is the laughingstock of the hockeyfights world, and for good reason. I admire your tenacity in defending him, but Edmonton fans really need to shake the "loving the losers" mentality.

Old
02-02-2011, 09:25 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
If true, you would think the Oilers would put him on the IR and avoid putting him on waivers until he's healthy.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
If true, you would think the Oilers would put him on the IR and avoid putting him on waivers until he's healthy.
Yup, makes you wonder. I've never seen someone punch that way. If there wasn't something wrong with his hand, you just have to let the guy go.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:37 AM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
When is Stortini's waiver period over?

02-02-2011, 10:46 AM
oilexport

Stortini did not develop very well. The Oilers waited long enough for him to grow into a chippy player that could drop the gloves. He was a joke that brought our team down and gave the other team momentum.

That said, good luck Zac you'll still make a good living in the AHL and maybe get another shot someday as he's still young.

oilexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:49 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
It was speculated immediately after that fight on twitter that Storts must've had a broken hand, but if that were the case wouldn't he be on the IR not potentially on a bus to OKC?

No reason he should've been playing with a broken hand in the first place.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
It was speculated immediately after that fight on twitter that Storts must've had a broken hand, but if that were the case wouldn't he be on the IR not potentially on a bus to OKC?

No reason he should've been playing with a broken hand in the first place.

Unless Souray was right!!

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:00 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

I've wondered for quite some time if Storts' bizarre fighting techniques could be the result of having fractured his knuckles too many times in the past. He almost never threw a straight right hand at anyone -- always throwing forearms, elbows, or as was most often the case just hammering down with the side of his fist.

I know it's all speculation, but I'm guessing he broke some knuckles one too many times years ago and knew that he either had to find a way to hide/compensate for it or give up his NHL dream.

But, y'know, I could be way off base. :?

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Like I mentioned a couple seasons ago he was actually doing more fighting and a lot less hugging. Also he was not fighting all the time like he was extremely nervous about getting hurt every second of the fight. Then the following season and this one he is as bad and possibly worse than ever with that whole thing.

I honestly think the organization thought he was getting there (to the player they hoped he would develop into). So they stuck with him. After last season I wonder if they thought as I did that maybe it was just an off season and we would see him get back on track this season. But as I mentioned when roster spot decisions and the like force your hand. You eventually have to make a call on a guy.

Yeah I remember you were fairly high on Pouliot. I remember starting to worry about the guy on I think it was his second training camp. The Oilers coaches and management openly hinted that he had a bit of a disappointing camp. As did many fans posting. But when Pouliot was asked about his camp he thought he had a really good one and performed well. I still had hopes for him of course but that was a red flag for me on the guys psyche and never wanting to look at himself as not giving enough.

Well JFJ has not been as bad as last season I will say that much. He has also shown some signs of coming around lately. But like usual he seems to bust out of the gate hitting everything that moved and racking up some nice hit totals. Then he hits long stretches where he totally disappears and hits nothing and does nothing. I am not even getting into the fact that the guy seems to have no anticipation of the play or general hockey sense. He is frightened to handle the puck most of the time and it is a hot potato on his stick. But at least the Oilers are using him more in a role that he should be capable of. Which is 4th line with limited minutes. He is averaging about 7 minutes which is where he should be. I will give Renney credit for using him better than Quinn and I will watch him closely the rest of the way. Maybe I am being a tad too hard on the big man made out of glass?
Stortini started out being terrified of fighting. That much was obvious in his stance, holds, trepidation. An amount of healthy respect, alertness, prudent caution, is prerequisite to going in a fight. But Storts revealed much more than most in that regard. He revealed, often, that he feared the punch. That he would turtle and go on defensive and eat leather as soon as the opponent started raining blows.

Which elicits what?

Opponents that see that and smell blood from the start and mock why he's in the ring in the first place.

You can't fight somebody, anybody, (except someone with even greater fear) like that.

Stortini with this degree of fear of fighthing was always a danger to himself. I knew that, you have a well developed knowledge of fighters and know that.

I don't know that one overcomes this degree of fear and becomes effective in the ring without a massive undertaking of added ability and technique that makes up for the consuming fear and almost protects one from harm (more possible in boxing, less possible in hockey fighting or MMA)

Last edited by Replacement: 02-02-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Beevatron2000

Send a message via AIM to Beevatron2000
To the surprise of no one, Storts clears waivers (as per Rishaug)

Beevatron2000 is offline   Reply With Quote