HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Stortini on Waivers

Old
02-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
No of course he isn't there are probably at laest 5 guys if not more better than him. The difference is he answers the bell and will engage unlike anyone else on the team including our heavyweight. See the fight stats I posted in this thread.

We have Hemksy hurt again, Eberle is just getting back after getting hurt. We have some very good young players with more on the way and we are keeping the likes of Fraser and JFJ over a guy that will actually intervene if someone starts picking on our players.

This team has tried the old 'team toughness' and it doesn't work. We'll just get run out of the rink by the likes of Minny, Van and Calgary even more than normal.
I like that Stortini still has some fans here and I wish I could be more supportive of the guy but if they want to keep him here then they have to dim the lights and play Barry White music when he fights in order to give him some intimidation factor.

I think that the Oil have a love affair with JFJ and one of them had to go. JFJ at least can throw some bodychecks b4 he gets beaten up.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:29 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
We don't know how Hemksy got hurt. Eberle got taken down by a guy that should have no business rubbing out one of our players on the boards at all. Clean checks or not teams should know that if you mess with our young players, clean check or not someone is going after you. That's what keeps your young players alive and gives them room to move.

Watch other teams in this league if one of the Sedins got just rocked by a huge open ice hit would the Canucks applaud and say, clean check! and do nothing? Half of their team would be pounding on the perp.
You are absolutely kidding yourself if you expect those kinds of things to quit happening. It's no different than the headshot rule, **** will happen. It's all about trying to reduce the amount of cheap stuff.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Inf123

vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
This past weekend. I think that's why he didn't play like an everyday all-star. Didn't want to miss his wedding.

As for the who, I have no idea.
interesting, whoever he married will prob have a huge impact if he stays, thats why I was asking if it was a girl from edmonton (most likely to stay and sign) but if from the states its almost certain hes gone.

Inf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Is there a reason we'd be looking at an older sample instead of what is happening this season?

I say this because Fraser has been helpful to JFJ's development. He's a reasonable supporting player for JFJ. Why not see what he can accomplish with this support?
LMHF#1 did say all time stats in his original post, so I think he has a point. JFJ sucks. Get rid of the guy ASAP!

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
LMAO! I luv the old NINTENDO Punch-Out theme song!

Anybody have the Vandermeer fight that was talked about.. I missed that one?
OK, he's really good cocking that right hand back but wtf is he doing with it when he moves it fwd? He honestly looks likes he's hitting someone with a chicken wing when he throws "punches" with it.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
deanmoriarty

I've always been a fan of Zack, but I can't complain. He has looked lost out there all season, he deserved this. Too bad, he seems like a nice guy with a lot of heart.

But if JF Jacques is still on the roster heading into next season I will lose what little faith I have left in Oilers management.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:32 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Why should he? I personally hope we trade him at the deadline and get something for him, and 3rd pairing defensemen are a dime a dozen in free agency. I realise that my saying a guy is or isn't coming back is far from sticking to fact, but are you saying we already know who are going to be replacing them too?

There, fixed that for you.
NO, I never said that I just assumed that if a 4th liner who is not effective is removed a 4th liner would be brought in who can be effective.

ps: "fixing" someones post is against board rules, give yourself an infraction for that.

Quote:
2006-2007: Stortini was 3rd on the team in majors with 7 but that was only in 29 games. (The leader had 9)

2007-2008: Lead the team with 23 majors, next best was 5.

2008-2009: Lead the team with 25 majors, next best was 8.

2009-2010: Lead the team with 17 majors, next best was 8.

2010-2011: Leads the team with 8 majors, next best is 5.

Say what you will about his fighting ability or lack there of the guy answered the bell consistently during his time here. Pretty well the only guy on the team to do so and be willing to at least grapple with just about all comers.
How many of those fights did he win and how many swung the momentum in the Oilers direction? I would bet on less than 20%

I applaud him for his effort, but would you keep a guy around who's only job is to win faceoffs but gets embarassed everytime he takes one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Thats not necessarily a good thing. Take his last fight for example vs Dallas. He dropped the gloves and immediately held on for dear life. What was the purpose of even dropping the gloves if thatís all heís going to do? It almost looked like he was trying to secure his spot in the lineup by looking willing, be he forgot about the able part.

Its hard as a fan to watch your tough guy take on all comers and consistently get his ass handed to him. I cant even imagine how disheartening it is for his teammates to watch that. Hopefully he clears and improves his game in the A. I think most of us gave up on Reddox, but heís seemed to improve his game down there and found himself a roster spot.
I aswell hope he makes it to OKC. Maybe send Bucky down with him and teach him how to be an effective 4th line player.

Quote:
We don't know how Hemksy got hurt. Eberle got taken down by a guy that should have no business rubbing out one of our players on the boards at all. Clean checks or not teams should know that if you mess with our young players, clean check or not someone is going after you. That's what keeps your young players alive and gives them room to move.

Watch other teams in this league if one of the Sedins got just rocked by a huge open ice hit would the Canucks applaud and say, clean check! and do nothing? Half of their team would be pounding on the perp.
What keeps young players alive is they need to keep their freaking heads up and know who they are going into a corner with. Saying that someone has no business finishing a clean check against one of our players is borderline crazy. Do you really want all hitting taken out of the game? No one is afraid of Stortini. No one. He does not prevent any hits against anyone.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Tyrolean

Storts wasn't the worst player on the team, Strudwick is. He is one of 6 the Oilers should get rid of before next year if they aspire to be a non lottery team. JFJ, Fraser, Foster should not be around next year. Half the defence should be replaced as well.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:41 PM
bellagiobob

Quote:
A guy that hits at the same rate as NHL hit leaderCal Clutterbuck, is hard on the forecheck, is a solid NZ presence, is now rarely scored against, and that knocks home some goals in very limited action is "taking up space"? He's one of a few players on the team that hasn't been buried playing against his NHL peers.

The ceiling is this becomes one of those rare players we are actually looking for. Theres no reason not to wait and see for a few mths and see if the good play continues. Why walk the plank now?

This could easily be another Glencross mistake.
He may hit at the same rate as Clutterback, but in my view the hits are not comparable. Clutterbuck destroys guys with a lot of his hits. The majority of JFJ's are merely bumps. I have always felt that his hit count was way overrated based on the impact, or lack thereof, his hits had.

bellagiobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
LMHF#1 did say all time stats in his original post, so I think he has a point. JFJ sucks. Get rid of the guy ASAP!
No, he stated:

Quote:
Jacques is one of the worst statistical players in NHL history,
Which is hyperbole.

Plus a lot of that stat comes from 4 seasons ago and last season under Quinn when everybody not named Dustin was horrible.

Jacques is playing well this season as a vet that we've tried to patiently develop and NOW we should move him so he can be a developed player somewhere else?

Makes no sense. We've suffered the growing pains with this player and he seems to be coming along. Why punt him now?

Nobody seems to have an answer for that.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagiobob View Post
He may hit at the same rate as Clutterback, but in my view the hits are not comparable. Clutterbuck destroys guys with a lot of his hits. The majority of JFJ's are merely bumps. I have always felt that his hit count was way overrated based on the impact, or lack thereof, his hits had.
I like JFJ's hits. Not much for open ice hits but he rattles guys on the boards pretty good. Not Torres type hits but better than Brule type hits.

I think the difference between Clutterbuck and JFJ hits is overstated. I see a lot of Clutterbuck padding his count as well. Plus Clutterbuck isn't playing with a back injury.

Its possible that JFJ's health improves. We know he has the right disposition of the physical game and a willingness to employ. His health has been the major factor against him. Now he's getting healthy it seems.

Old
02-01-2011, 02:48 PM
schatc

nhl10http://www.planetxbox360.com/article_7688/EA_Sports_New_NHL_10_Tough_Guy_Video_Features_Stor tini

Thanks for the memories (cue sad Hulk end credits music)

schatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:51 PM
cfrancis

vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Great team guy, not the guy we need on the ice. Best of luck.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:53 PM
OilerOlli*

Nobody will pick him.
Useless and overprized, like many Oilers, sadly.

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
You are absolutely kidding yourself if you expect those kinds of things to quit happening. It's no different than the headshot rule, **** will happen. It's all about trying to reduce the amount of cheap stuff.
Hey keep going with the "**** will happen" routine. The Reghyrs the clutterbucks the Tanner Glasses, the Bieksas of the league welcome that attitude. When Taylor Hall gets inevitably blasted to kingdom come on a clean check we can just nod and say, dems the breaks.

As I said, ask yourself, how many times have I seen the Sedins getting planted clean or otherwise? Almost never. Players know that half the Canuck team would be on them in an instant.

Now, lets forget the clean plays and look at the cheap plays, who is going to stick up for our 20 year old skilled players when they get run? Penner?

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:57 PM
oilexport

Storts last seen hugging Joey Moss good-bye. Upper cut by Joey knocks him out...

oilexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:58 PM
0ilerman
The King

this isn't goodbye from the organization. He'll be around, maybe even back.

He could easily clear re-entry waivers if there's another wave of injuries later in the season

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

This is a strange org. We saw fit to play Storts 256GP over 5 seasons and apparently try to develop him into some kind of role for some reason.

The reason never being quite clear.

We then abandon the player at the peak age of his career after suffering through years of his growing pains.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I have no idea what this org thinks about.

Old
02-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Marconius

Quote:

But why are you comparing a huge open-ice hit to Hemsky's & Eberle's injuries? Neither was rocked by a huge open ice hit. Hemsky was injured in what we can only guess was a series of smaller hits and Eberle was rubbed out. In any case, neither was felled by a huge open ice hit.

I really don't get you're line of reasoning. Do you really believe that an NHL defenceman is going to allow Hemsky/Eberle/Hall to squirt past them along the boards because they're afraid of retribution? Where does your line in the sand stop? What level of defense is acceptable to you? Do all young stars get carte blanche to do what they want to do?

Marconius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 03:00 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Hey keep going with the "**** will happen" routine. The Reghyrs the clutterbucks the Tanner Glasses, the Bieksas of the league welcome that attitude. When Taylor Hall gets inevitably blasted to kingdom come on a clean check we can just nod and say, dems the breaks.

As I said, ask yourself, how many times have I seen the Sedins getting planted clean or otherwise? Almost never. Players know that half the Canuck team would be on them in an instant.

Now, lets forget the clean plays and look at the cheap plays, who is going to stick up for our 20 year old skilled players when they get run? Penner?
How's Crosby doing??? Didn't he get clean hit twice?

You want a protector you instruct Mac to change his role or he'll be gone.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 03:00 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Not really a big deal, Stortini will always be a tweener/4th line player. He doesnt even really agitate anymore since he fights. The most effective agitators dont fight, b/c it pisses people off more. And when he does fight, hes terrible and the only thing it does is provide comedic relief for the opposing team, it is actually quite embarrassing.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Marconius

Quote:

You know why? Because they're smart, strong players. You don't think that every coach tells their players before the game to nail the Sedins? The fact is that they're too smart to skate with their head down and they're too strong on their skates to get smoked.

Show me ONE time where a player had either either Sedin lined up for a crushing hit and backed off. ONE time, and I'll buy you're argument

Marconius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Little Fury

Quote:
A guy that hits at the same rate as NHL hit leaderCal Clutterbuck, is hard on the forecheck, is a solid NZ presence, is now rarely scored against, and that knocks home some goals in very limited action is "taking up space"? He's one of a few players on the team that hasn't been buried playing against his NHL peers.
It's all well and good that he's holding his own against the rest of the league's dregs, but again, that's a low bar to hurdle.

Quote:
The ceiling is this becomes one of those rare players we are actually looking for. Theres no reason not to wait and see for a few mths and see if the good play continues. Why walk the plank now?
I actually agree. I hope he keeps it up for another month so we can bundle him off someplace for a third round pick or something at the deadline before he gets hurt again.

Quote:
This could easily be another Glencross mistake.
JFJ is playing the best hockey of his NHL career and he's treading water (and according to you, he's using Fraser as his water wings). I sincerely doubt we're looking at some diamond in the rough whose just turning a corner. The tools aren't there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
How many of those fights did he win and how many swung the momentum in the Oilers direction? I would bet on less than 20%
For your sake, don't try and quantify momentum.

Quote:
I applaud him for his effort, but would you keep a guy around who's only job is to win faceoffs but gets embarassed everytime he takes one.
Stortini is more than a fighter, though. It's a shame that is all people see.

Quote:
I aswell hope he makes it to OKC. Maybe send Bucky down with him and teach him how to be an effective 4th line player.
The irony here is just too much. I don't think there's a guy in NHL history with a worse win/loss record in fights than Bucky. He was game, but lord the guy got beat on. Just goes to show that winning or losing fights doesn't really mean much when it comes to actually playing the game.

Quote:
What keeps young players alive is they need to keep their freaking heads up and know who they are going into a corner with. Saying that someone has no business finishing a clean check against one of our players is borderline crazy. Do you really want all hitting taken out of the game? No one is afraid of Stortini. No one. He does not prevent any hits against anyone.
By your own argument, no one can prevent hits, so why place that expectation on Stortini?

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 03:04 PM
bellagiobob

Quote:

I agree that our team toughness sucks. We need guys on every line with grit and skill. We are slowly getting the skill part but lack the grit part. The Oilers from top to bottom are a soft team. But I don't believe that having Storts in the lineup caused teams to take less liberties with our players. Still had guys getting run with him in the lineup. We need a team with a pack mentality.

bellagiobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 03:06 PM
GDU

honestly as a fan i am so extremely happy to see this franchise back to making consistently good personal decisions...

after the heatley chase, the horrid signings (souray khabby etc) and the overplaying and catering to veterans (moreua souray etc), getting rid of the deadweight, trading for picks and keeping players with actual nhl skills and impact (reddox/omark) and dropping ineffective guys is great to see going forward, we are getting closer to being an nhl caliber team every day, lol

GDU is offline   Reply With Quote