HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

King Kovalev dethroned? Gionta, oh my captain!

Old
01-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
King Kovalev dethroned? Gionta, oh my captain!

Letís go back in time a little bit. Alex Kovalev was god in the stadium for a few seasons. In front of a fan base which hasnít seen a true star offensive player since the days of Pierre Turgeon and Vincent Damphousse about 15 years ago, people reached and hoped that this player would be it, with his immense talent but whoís performances were rather disappointing.

Just over a year ago now, when the news came out that the Canadiens signed Brian Gionta with the money offered to Kovalev because his agent didnít think it was a good idea to return Bob Gaineyís call, people kicked and screamed. We even saw people with signs in front of the Bell Centre to protest against the injustice of having the nerve, the audacity to sign someone else other than the enigmatic #27.

A year and a bit later, we can now make a better evaluation of the decision to go with the one who said yes to Gaineyís offer instead of waiting for Kovalevís camp to bother replying. Letís look at what both players have done with their respective team since :

Full blog...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Kovalev sucks/sucked/will always suck.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 735
now I'm supposed to go to your blog or post in here?

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 05:01 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Can't say I miss him. He was hot for about a month (Kovy's Daily Snipe), but is a floater through and through. Brian Gionta is the heart and soul of our team now.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 05:04 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
but who’s performances were rather disappointing.
Whose not who's.

Kovalev was god when he was in god-mode. I loved his playing style.. from the dirty low slap shots to the lightning snap shots to the dekes. He's a prime example of a goal scorer. But when you start slacking off and shitting on your teammates and your coach (regardless of their competence), I've got beef with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
Brian Gionta is the heart and soul of our team now.
Plekanec and Gomez have a bigger impact on ice and Gill seems to have more impact off ice than Gio. Maybe it's my personal disdain for the "lead by example" type, but I don't think he's the best Canadien candidate to be captain.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 05:11 PM
OneSharpMarble

The guy was worthless, overpaid and over-rated...Kinda like Gomez!

Gomez = Kovalev and Gionta = Koivu.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
now I'm supposed to go to your blog or post in here?
You're supposed to read the blog (if you feel like it of course) and post here. That's what the Army Green is for.

Old
01-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I wouldn't say that he sucked all the time (even though he certainly did at some point) but he is/was a moody and inconsistent play who isn't really a team and system player and who play his own selfish game.

I sure as well am not missing him and sure as hell don't want him back even at league minimum. The only way i'd want him back is if we could dump Gomez in the process. That's the only compromise that would make me think about it.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I'll never forget the time when Darcy Tucker, while with the Leafs, clipped him in the offensive zone. Kovalev skated with the puck and when Tucker showed his face, he ran into a brick wall in Kovalev.

I wish he always played like that... and I hate him for not doing it.

Old
01-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I'll never forget the time when Darcy Tucker, while with the Leafs, clipped him in the offensive zone. Kovalev skated with the puck and when Tucker showed his face, he ran into a brick wall in Kovalev.

I wish he always played like that... and I hate him for not doing it.
Angry Kovalev can be a nasty individual. It seems to light a fire under his ass.

Problem is that he's pretty much never angry.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 05:34 PM
coolasprICE

If he wanted to come back for league minimum, or 1 million, I'd take the gamble.

I'm sure Molson would be all over that opportunity; he'd get his money back 10 fold on just Kovalev merchandise sales alone.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
If he wanted to come back for league minimum, or 1 million, I'd take the gamble.

I'm sure Molson would be all over that opportunity; he'd get his money back 10 fold on just Kovalev merchandise sales alone.
At that price, there really is no gamble. He either plays good or even decent, and the money is worth it, or he sucks and you just shrug your shoulders and say, "at least he's not making $4 million a year".

Doubt that ever happens though.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 06:21 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
At that price, there really is no gamble. He either plays good or even decent, and the money is worth it, or he sucks and you just shrug your shoulders and say, "at least he's not making $4 million a year".

Doubt that ever happens though.
maybe 500k is a stretch, but if i'm not mistaken, he still owns a home in westmount as his kid was preparing to start school....I could be wrong, but I think the wife and kid stayed here. Also considering all that and how much he liked it here in general, it's not impossible that he signs on the cheap.

Old
01-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Quote:
maybe 500k is a stretch, but if i'm not mistaken, he still owns a home in westmount as his kid was preparing to start school....I could be wrong, but I think the wife and kid stayed here. Also considering all that and how much he liked it here in general, it's not impossible that he signs on the cheap.
I'm not too sure. I just hear a lot of athletes say they love it in one city, and then sign with another city because they offered more. Besides, with all the medical bills and age creeping up on him, it would help to store those few extra million in the bank.

Sucks to say, but the love for the sport changes to the need of saving money for retirement. Not sure if that's the case for Kovy, but wouldn't be surprised at all if it was.

Old
01-28-2011, 06:39 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I'm not too sure. I just hear a lot of athletes say they love it in one city, and then sign with another city because they offered more. Besides, with all the medical bills and age creeping up on him, it would help to store those few extra million in the bank.

Sucks to say, but the love for the sport changes to the need of saving money for retirement. Not sure if that's the case for Kovy, but wouldn't be surprised at all if it was.
I have to disagree with you about possibility of bs in respect to loving it here.

He really does, only because I know a bit of personal things about Kovalev through some friends (take it for what it's worth, but my sources are usually accurate ...

He made a lot of close friends here ( russian jewish community in particular) and he by and large loved the attention he got here, from the crowd, media,businesses / sponsors etc. He's a showman, and like all showman, he loves the spotlight.

He's a completely different creature in this respect, than say, Koivu, who prefers not being known.

Obviously, if he gets an offer of 4 million elsewhere, he'll take 4 million before 1 million here... but if we're talking minimum or close to minimum, I have no doubt it would be here he'd love to play and he would take a small discount... Well, maybe the only competition would be New York, since he loves flying his little plane around Manhattan

Old
01-28-2011, 08:13 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Kovalev, seriously... even at league's minimum it would be a huge NO.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 08:20 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Kovalev, seriously... even at league's minimum it would be a huge NO.
But Gomez is better at 7.3

Old
01-28-2011, 08:20 PM
HabsHockey

Problem is with the people who thought Kovalev was God while he was here. Seriously, watch some hockey.

HabsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 08:25 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
But Gomez is better at 7.3
cant resist huh ?

Old
01-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Stradale

Lets see what Gionta will do this season.. The two last seasons Kovalev played here, he's averaging 30 goals/75 pts so I wouldn't say he always sucked.

I don't care what he's doing in Ott this season but he was not terrible with us like some people pretends.

Also, marketing wise, he was one of the reason why hockey became so popular recently in Montreal.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 08:31 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
cant resist huh ?
it's just hilarious, you wouldn't want a player who can score 10-20 goals for 500 K on the 4th line, but you're completely cool with G-Love.

I'm sure you'd make a fine GM my man

Old
01-28-2011, 08:41 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
it's just hilarious, you wouldn't want a player who can score 10-20 goals for 500 K on the 4th line, but you're completely cool with G-Love.

I'm sure you'd make a fine GM my man
We already have one, his first name is Mathieu

Old
01-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Pretty much, I never understood the love affair with that lazy floater. The day he signed with Ottawa was one of my best moments as a Habs fan.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 09:15 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
I hated Kovalev but his impact on the Habs was much bigger than Gionta. Look at Gionta play..what exactly does he do? Giving a 100% effort can only take you so far. His skillset is very limited. Do any of you even remember the last time he challenged a defender one on one? I know Gomez always carries the puck but do you think Gionta could do that? Doubt it. All he does is skate down the right wing and blast a shot at the goalie and if the shooting lane is taken don't expect him to do anything creative with the puck. No assists in 22 games..there is a reason for it. The guy would rather shoot from center ice than pass the puck.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Quote:
I have to disagree with you about possibility of bs in respect to loving it here.

He really does, only because I know a bit of personal things about Kovalev through some friends (take it for what it's worth, but my sources are usually accurate ...

He made a lot of close friends here ( russian jewish community in particular) and he by and large loved the attention he got here, from the crowd, media,businesses / sponsors etc. He's a showman, and like all showman, he loves the spotlight.

He's a completely different creature in this respect, than say, Koivu, who prefers not being known.

Obviously, if he gets an offer of 4 million elsewhere, he'll take 4 million before 1 million here... but if we're talking minimum or close to minimum, I have no doubt it would be here he'd love to play and he would take a small discount... Well, maybe the only competition would be New York, since he loves flying his little plane around Manhattan
Fair enough.

Reading back, I may have been a little harsh, but I wasn't exactly pointing the finger at Kovalev the way my post came out. It's just the feeling I get from some veterans out there, but even then, it could just be a case of one's opinion.

Either way, I'd welcome Kovalev back with open arms, especially at a price like that. Even if he'd only give the team 10 goals on the year, at that price you just can't lose.