HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Club Feet

Old
02-28-2012, 01:23 PM
kurt83
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Club Feet

So I have decided to start playing ice hockey and I am honing my skating and stick handling skills as I already knew both (from roller with friends) but am transitioning to ice. My problem is that I was born with club feet and after corrective surgeries I have a high arch, and a tall, wide foot. Does anyone else here have/had club feet and found skates that do not cause pain? I have pretty much accepted the fact that ice skates are going to hurt but I was wondering if someone else out there had found something I haven't. I have poor circulation already so when I tie my skates tight it gets pretty bad and causes pain. I'm guessing it's because there isn't a deep enough boot out there but just curious as to what others thought. O and BTW I currently have RBK 6k's.

Sorry not trying to beat a dead horse but I see this as a unique situation. And since I am in college I really can't afford custom skates, at least for right now.

kurt83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:38 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt83 View Post
So I have decided to start playing ice hockey and I am honing my skating and stick handling skills as I already knew both (from roller with friends) but am transitioning to ice. My problem is that I was born with club feet and after corrective surgeries I have a high arch, and a tall, wide foot. Does anyone else here have/had club feet and found skates that do not cause pain? I have pretty much accepted the fact that ice skates are going to hurt but I was wondering if someone else out there had found something I haven't. I have poor circulation already so when I tie my skates tight it gets pretty bad and causes pain. I'm guessing it's because there isn't a deep enough boot out there but just curious as to what others thought. O and BTW I currently have RBK 6k's.

Sorry not trying to beat a dead horse but I see this as a unique situation. And since I am in college I really can't afford custom skates, at least for right now.
Have you tried on some CCMs? While I have no experience with club feet, I have a high enough instep that I can't fit in Bauer Vapors or other shallow skates. I found CCMs to be the deepest. Currently skating in U+ 06s and they're super comfortable.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:44 PM
kurt83
Rookie User

you know I was actually looking at some last night and I am curious to try them on. The problem is my foot isn't very long because of the surgeries breaking the growth plates. I can fit into like a size 5 but I got a 6 for the deeper boot. I was wondering whether the better option would be to get a shorter skate where the boot is too shallow or get one that is an inch or so too long?

P.s. yes my feet look small but I'm only 5'11" 160 so it doesn't look too bad i guess hehe

Old
02-28-2012, 01:51 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt83 View Post
you know I was actually looking at some last night and I am curious to try them on. The problem is my foot isn't very long because of the surgeries breaking the growth plates. I can fit into like a size 5 but I got a 6 for the deeper boot. I was wondering whether the better option would be to get a shorter skate where the boot is too shallow or get one that is an inch or so too long?

P.s. yes my feet look small but I'm only 5'11" 160 so it doesn't look too bad i guess hehe
both are pretty detrimental for skating, a skate to long wont allow your foot to sit right in the boot, while a boot not deep enough will not stand up to good skating.

now i had this same problem, i was a 7.5 skate but my foot was too deep to fit into the skates that size. i had to do custom made skates. they gave me a 7.5 length with the sides of the book a size 9. i also needed extra stiff boots.

i don't recommend this unless its absolutely necessary because all companies will only customize top of the line skates so your looking at spending 800-1000 on skates.

best bet is look at grafs, they have many model and have many different boots, that would be the best bet to find a proper fitting skates at a reasonable price

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:07 PM
ponder

Custom skates probably are the best option for you, but if you can't afford them then I guess they're a non-option. Maybe try a Bauer FlexLite in a EE width? It's a pretty wide, deep skate, and if you go with the Junior skate (size 5 or 5.5) then even the high end FlexLite 4.0s are reasonably priced:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-ho...lite-4-jr.html

(obviously try and buy them in a shop only if they fit well, the above link was just for the price)

Also, re: losing circulation in your feet, on top of having a skate that fits well, I did find that the Elite oval laces helped. They're really waxy (overly waxy at first, but get better with time as it wears out a bit), and just do not slip at all, plus they just have a lot of structure to them (don't know how else to describe it), so I find I can go much less tight and still have my skates feel good. Worth trying out, I was getting a bit of foot pain with other laces because I had to go fairly tight to get the performance I liked, but with the Elite oval laces I can tie my skates a bit looser, get no fit pain, and still get nice performance.

Finally, you may want to check out insoles like Superfeet, might help support your arch and reduce pain.

Last edited by ponder: 02-28-2012 at 04:15 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:28 PM
dwreckm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Finally, you may want to check out insoles like Superfeet, might help support your arch and reduce pain.
This is a fantastic piece of advice. You'll want to start the same way everyone should, by visiting a hockey shop and getting some skates professionally fitted as best as possible. After that, you can remove the footpads and try inserts likes those made my Superfeet. I myself have rather high arches, and was getting not only arch pain, but issues with my skates rubbing my skin bloody until I got some of these inserts, they work wonderfully.

dwreckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:45 PM
AIREAYE

Guys, everything you suggested sounds fine and all, but this man has feet that are not shaped like the general populace's (even after surgery),

Before spending any time on these suggestions, I would HIGHLY suggest seeing a podiatrist and getting a professional opinion on what would work for YOU (assuming you haven't already for skates), be it orthotics or not.

I also want to make clear that Superfeet are NOT an arch support product, but a heel support product with an arch structure built-in.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:40 PM
kurt83
Rookie User

Yes I plan on seeing my foot surgeon when I come home for the summer as only he really knows the bone structure of my feet. Do you think if i find a skate with about the deepest boot made and then get a proper insole I could find a solution that would at least minimize discomfort? The only reason I ask is, with my current situation it takes about 30-60 minutes before it get's to the point where i can't stand it and when I'm playing I just untie my skates between periods. I guess what I'm saying is the pain isn't as bad as one would think given my situation and its possible I do not have to get custom skates.

10 years down the road I'm sure I will have custom skates made but I can't put 1,000 dollars into skates being an engineering student haha. (Well I could but I'm sure my dad would kill me)

Old
02-28-2012, 06:43 PM
kurt83
Rookie User

O and side note (possibly off topic): I really admire the few guys in some form of Pro hockey with my problem because it is simply amazing that they can perform that well and endure all of the tough workouts. Especially since 80% of the time when you are diagnosed with it they tell your parents you will probably never play sports or walk right.

Old
02-28-2012, 07:19 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Guys, everything you suggested sounds fine and all, but this man has feet that are not shaped like the general populace's (even after surgery),

Before spending any time on these suggestions, I would HIGHLY suggest seeing a podiatrist and getting a professional opinion on what would work for YOU (assuming you haven't already for skates), be it orthotics or not.

I also want to make clear that Superfeet are NOT an arch support product, but a heel support product with an arch structure built-in.
Excellent point, obviously a podiatrist will be able to offer by far the best advice.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:51 PM
vyktor

I have high arches, I use custom orthodic footbeds in my skates, which are MLX, they mold to odd foot shapes. Malkin has feet like a Neanderthal I saw the mold they made of his foot when he wore the MLXs

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:41 PM
AIREAYE

MLXs are no longer available

Old
02-29-2012, 08:07 AM
vyktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
MLXs are no longer available
Really? the website looks like it is still up and running.

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:39 AM
AIREAYE

Their skate guy moved to Easton and from what I've heard, the impression is that they have ceased production.