HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ruff rejected 2 year extension this past Fall

Old
02-01-2011, 03:45 PM
NativityPlayground*

vCash: 500
Ruff rejected 2 year extension this past Fall

Heard it on wgr55 ...would have kept him here under contract till 2013

Said they were gracious with what they offered but said he did not want to discuss why he turned it down.

Perhaps Lindy has had enough of the coaching aspect of the game and now wants to go into upper management .

Perhaps a GM for the Sabres if Darcy gets bought out ?

NativityPlayground* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Upstater

Maybe he thinks he has done all he could with the team he is given.

Maybe he wants to ship out on his terms instead of being fired for a team that he can't get to perform.

Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Maybe he didn't want to commit himself for 2+ years under an owner he knew little or nothing about.

Maybe every post in this thread will include a different speculative reason.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 04:15 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I have it on good sources* that Ruff was looking for a 5 year, 25 M deal, but the Sabres were afraid of commitment.

*sources = the Scarf

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 04:41 PM
rabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativityPlayground View Post
Heard it on wgr55 ...would have kept him here under contract till 2013

Said they were gracious with what they offered but said he did not want to discuss why he turned it down.

Perhaps Lindy has had enough of the coaching aspect of the game and now wants to go into upper management .

Perhaps a GM for the Sabres if Darcy gets bought out ?
welcome to 12:00 noon today

rabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 05:22 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Maybe he wants to put himself out on the free agent market and let some team give him an insanely huge long-term deal? I'm sure somebody would.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Chippah
Tsssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Maybe he didn't want to commit himself for 2+ years under an owner he knew little or nothing about.

Maybe every post in this thread will include a different speculative reason.
WGR also made a very similar speculation adding that he might not have wanted to make the commitment to work for a new boss (currently unannounced) if Darcy gets voted off the island.

Chippah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Macksayev
17+19 (3+72)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi View Post
yeah some of us cant listen to WGR at noon or get online while we're at work to find out about this.

Macksayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 05:39 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

maybe he wants to pursue the GM thing.....

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Pegula's only been in the picture a couple of months. If the offer was made in the fall, somehow I doubt Ruff turning it down had to do with a possible change in management or ownership.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Chippah
Tsssss

The general public found out about the deal being worked out in November. I don't think it is totally unreasonable to think that 2 months prior to that the #5 guy in the organization knew something might happen. It is also very possible that he had no clue though.

Chippah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Clock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Pegula's only been in the picture a couple of months. If the offer was made in the fall, somehow I doubt Ruff turning it down had to do with a possible change in management or ownership.
Yup. It may very well be because he wanted to get away from what was the current regime.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 07:12 AM
NativityPlayground*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi View Post
Your point ?

NativityPlayground* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

The plot thickens...

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Yup. It may very well be because he wanted to get away from what was the current regime.
The thing is, the offers to Ruff and Regier were likely made at or around the same time. I think it's entirely inconsistent if one asserts that Regier took the deal knowing a new regime was coming in, but Ruff turned down the deal to get away from the current regime. Did they or didn't they have knowledge of Pegula's impending arrival when the offers were made? That's the key answer we need to learn.

I think if one wants to contend Regier took the golden parachute, the parallel argument is that Ruff turned his down, at least in part, because he may not have wanted to committed himself for two years under an owner he knew little or nothing about. If one wants to argue that Ruff wanted to escape the current regime, I think that forecloses the argument Regier was taking the golden parachute, because the golden parachute argument presupposes that Regier knew about the impending ownership change--and, by extension, Ruff did not. For anyone who has followed the history of Ruff/Regier, it's almost implausible to believe Regier knew about this, but Ruff did not.

I'm not saying you guys are making the argument that Regier accepted the extension as a golden parachute while Ruff rejected his in an effort to escape the current regime, but that's the implication of several posters' statements in various threads. I think that's little more than cherry-picking arguments that run counter to one another just because the argument fits the poster's overall view of the individuals at issue.

Old
02-02-2011, 10:02 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
I'm not saying you guys are making the argument that Regier accepted the extension as a golden parachute while Ruff rejected his in an effort to escape the current regime, but that's the implication of several posters' statements in various threads. I think that's little more than cherry-picking arguments that run counter to one another just because the argument fits the poster's overall view of the individuals at issue.
Personally, it just makes sense that the two men are in different places and made personal decisions, with or without Pegula in the mix. Regier's situation is completely different than Ruff's. The big issue is why didn't they tell anyone... and the answer is simply, PR. It would have been a nightmare at a point in the season when things were at their very worst. It would have been a distraction from righting the ship, which in no small way, has been done. It really doesn't have to be any more complicated than this.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:03 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativityPlayground View Post
Your point ?
You're making threads/posts that are a few hours behind the news cycle and already posted, then discussed, here.

It's not a big deal, just make sure what are are posting isn't already being discussed elsewhere. Sometimes a new thread is appropriate though.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:06 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

I am guessing that Ruff wants to move towards the role of a GM, either here or, elsewhere if that is his only option. He may not want to be tied down to coaching.

I think it is entirely plausible that Darcy moves up/and Lindy takes the step to be GM or become assistant GM until Darcy is done with his new deal. It may have been the plan under BTG and Quinn.

I am presuming that Lindy and Pegula recently spoke about the team, its state and Lindy and what he sees in the future for the team and himself.

Old
02-02-2011, 10:07 AM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
The thing is, the offers to Ruff and Regier were likely made at or around the same time. I think it's entirely inconsistent if one asserts that Regier took the deal knowing a new regime was coming in, but Ruff turned down the deal to get away from the current regime. Did they or didn't they have knowledge of Pegula's impending arrival when the offers were made? That's the key answer we need to learn.

I think if one wants to contend Regier took the golden parachute, the parallel argument is that Ruff turned his down, at least in part, because he may not have wanted to committed himself for two years under an owner he knew little or nothing about. If one wants to argue that Ruff wanted to escape the current regime, I think that forecloses the argument Regier was taking the golden parachute, because the golden parachute argument presupposes that Regier knew about the impending ownership change--and, by extension, Ruff did not. For anyone who has followed the history of Ruff/Regier, it's almost implausible to believe Regier knew about this, but Ruff did not.

Someone posted it in the other thread, but there's a chance that Regier is damaged goods right now. Ruff could go on the market and get some ridiculous contract offer....it's well known that he's widely respected around the league. He's gone places with some teams that had no business going there and has enough credentials to get a spot on the bench for Team Canada.

Regier, on the other hand, is fairly-or-unfairly the fall guy for Ruff not having super-talented teams. Yea, he might've had his hands tied by Quinn, but ultimately he's the GM and it's on him.

I'm sure the market for Ruff would be many, many times bigger than that for Regier, so Darcy accepting a contract extension and Ruff rejecting would make sense.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:17 AM
The Big Chill

Send a message via AIM to The Big Chill
If Ruff wants to be GM I say we give him a shot. Anyone but Regier at this point.

The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Crazy Tasty
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

My opinion on this, is that they were informed that they would have new bosses before the season was over and they were given this "severence package" as a thanks for the hard work.

Reiger knowing that with a new owner, typically comes a new GM took it.

On Ruff, I am guessing that he didnt want a hand out extension to have any influence on the decision to keep him around or not.
Either here or somewhere else, I doubt Ruff will go long without a few job offers.

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
Someone posted it in the other thread, but there's a chance that Regier is damaged goods right now. Ruff could go on the market and get some ridiculous contract offer....it's well known that he's widely respected around the league. He's gone places with some teams that had no business going there and has enough credentials to get a spot on the bench for Team Canada.

Regier, on the other hand, is fairly-or-unfairly the fall guy for Ruff not having super-talented teams. Yea, he might've had his hands tied by Quinn, but ultimately he's the GM and it's on him.

I'm sure the market for Ruff would be many, many times bigger than that for Regier, so Darcy accepting a contract extension and Ruff rejecting would make sense.
Regier is well-respected around the league, too. Don't let Bucky Gleason make you believe otherwise. Bucky paints the picture of Regier he wants fans to believe, but never conveys the sentiment that Regier is a well-respected hockey man in hockey circles. Regier would be back in the game quicker than most ex-GM's.

Old
02-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Regier is well-respected around the league, too. Don't let Bucky Gleason make you believe otherwise. Bucky paints the picture of Regier he wants fans to believe, but never conveys the sentiment that Regier is a well-respected hockey man in hockey circles. Regier would be back in the game quicker than most ex-GM's.
And that is the sentiment held by respected hockey journalists when this sort of topic comes up, guys like McKenzie and LeBrun have mentioned Regier would not be out of work long on various broadcasts and the last time Regier's contract was up.

02-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
And that is the sentiment held by respected hockey journalists when this sort of topic comes up, guys like McKenzie and LeBrun have mentioned Regier would not be out of work long on various broadcasts and the last time Regier's contract was up.
Correct. And comparing the work of McKenzie and LeBrun to Bucky's is like comparing a Mercedes to a Ford Pinto. Plus, McKenzie and LeBrun have actual sources and have their fingers on the pulse of the league; Gleason does not.

Old
02-02-2011, 12:23 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Tasty View Post
My opinion on this, is that they were informed that they would have new bosses before the season was over and they were given this "severence package" as a thanks for the hard work.

Reiger knowing that with a new owner, typically comes a new GM took it.

On Ruff, I am guessing that he didnt want a hand out extension to have any influence on the decision to keep him around or not.
Either here or somewhere else, I doubt Ruff will go long without a few job offers.

I dont think this is the case. When you are trying to sell a business, you try to make it as healthy as possible before you sell it. You limit liabilities. These are two businessmen who have made a great deal of money by being shrewd and smart. They dont just throw around 2 million dollar contracts regardless of how much they are worth.

Further, I don't think the deal was in stone and BTG seemed so concerned with bottom line that I am not sure he would have taken the risk.