HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ruff rejected 2 year extension this past Fall

Old
02-02-2011, 12:41 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
I dont think this is the case. When you are trying to sell a business, you try to make it as healthy as possible before you sell it. You limit liabilities. These are two businessmen who have made a great deal of money by being shrewd and smart. They dont just throw around 2 million dollar contracts regardless of how much they are worth.

Further, I don't think the deal was in stone and BTG seemed so concerned with bottom line that I am not sure he would have taken the risk.
It's not without precedent. The Canadiens did the same thing with Gainey before their sale, giving him an extension.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:33 PM
NativityPlayground*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
You're making threads/posts that are a few hours behind the news cycle and already posted, then discussed, here.

It's not a big deal, just make sure what are are posting isn't already being discussed elsewhere. Sometimes a new thread is appropriate though.
Sorry .

I did not see a thread dedicated to such a big story IMO ...

NativityPlayground* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
I dont think this is the case. When you are trying to sell a business, you try to make it as healthy as possible before you sell it. You limit liabilities. These are two businessmen who have made a great deal of money by being shrewd and smart. They dont just throw around 2 million dollar contracts regardless of how much they are worth.

Further, I don't think the deal was in stone and BTG seemed so concerned with bottom line that I am not sure he would have taken the risk.
Perhaps the 14 mil in 'debt' labeled to the sale total includes Darcy's contract?

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Sabretip

Like everyone else, I can only guess at Ruff's thought process - but he's left enough hints in the past to think he isn't happy with how the team has continued to regress each season since the summer exoduses of 2007. WGR and TBN both reported on exchanges they had with him shortly after the Briere/Drury departures and Ruff wasn't in a mood to discuss the impact or losses then. It's not a stretch IMO to think that he wasn't inspired by the offseason movement - especially after losing two of his top 3 defenseman last season - and probably did want to buy himself some flexibility.

Some of the TBN blogs insinuate that Pegula's pending purchase of the team was already known back in October but was that the case? I seem to recall his name first popping up around mid-November - so I don't know that Ruff (or Regier) knew about an ownership change happening when the contracts were offered.

Ruff has always spoke fondly of the relationships with players and the feel inside a locker room - so I'm not convinced he's thinking of a move into upper management just yet. Of course, if he's sick of babysitting some of his current underachieving players, maybe he does want a change.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 07:08 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Some of the TBN blogs insinuate that Pegula's pending purchase of the team was already known back in October but was that the case? I seem to recall his name first popping up around mid-November - so I don't know that Ruff (or Regier) knew about an ownership change happening when the contracts were offered.
I know there was some suspicion around here that they might be selling after their actions this offseason. Letting both Tallinder and Lydman walk, then buying out Kennedy and bringing in any help where it was needed - it looked to me like they were trying to minimize future obligations, and take advantage of the playoff revenue and merchandise sales to be in the black and financially sound for any potential buyer.

I assume Ruff and Regier knew that someone might be buying the team. I don't think they necessarily knew who the potential buyers were - but I think it was almost a sure thing that they knew the team was being prepared for sale, whether they were officially told that or not.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:59 PM
sabrezombie

Quote:
Ruff was also given the chance to expand on his failure to accept a contract extension from the team. All Ruff would say was, "The only light I'd like to shed is I want to win a Stanley Cup here in Buffalo and that should conquer all other comments."
http://www.wgr550.com/Ruff-admits-he...unceme/9113708

Not sure what it means, but it sounds like he plans on being here in the future.

sabrezombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:22 PM
aceface33

Maybe they didn't offer him enough money. Maybe he's hoping the new guy will offer more?

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:56 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Maybe they didn't offer him enough money. Maybe he's hoping the new guy will offer more?
Or maybe it was term? Maybe he was looking for a three year deal?

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:10 AM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

i thought that ruff had a life time contract with the sabres? i guess he is still pissed that laviolette won coach of the year in 2006?

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 02-03-2011 at 01:35 AM.
ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:27 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
I assume Ruff and Regier knew that someone might be buying the team. I don't think they necessarily knew who the potential buyers were - but I think it was almost a sure thing that they knew the team was being prepared for sale, whether they were officially told that or not.
Maybe - but then again, there have been rumors about Golisano selling two years ago when Balsillie was trying to get a team. Regier always dismissed the talk of new ownership as rumors.

If there was internal direction to cut costs and trim the payroll in preparation for a sale, wouldn't there have been more turnover in the summer?

I wonder if we'll ever know - perhaps, if Pegula extends Ruff, then Lindy may explain his decision last fall....

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:29 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Maybe - but then again, there have been rumors about Golisano selling two years ago when Balsillie was trying to get a team. Regier always dismissed the talk of new ownership as rumors.

If there was internal direction to cut costs and trim the payroll in preparation for a sale, wouldn't there have been more turnover in the summer?

I wonder if we'll ever know - perhaps, if Pegula extends Ruff, then Lindy may explain his decision last fall....
Yeah, I dont' think we'll ever know for sure, just have to read between the lines as best we can.

Some more reading between the lines...

Ruff has said he wants to stay on under Pegula.
When asked, he also said that he wants to win a Cup in Buffalo.
We know he turned down a contract just a few months ago, and the only thing that's changed since then is ownership.
So - he doesn't think the current owners were willing or able to do what it takes to win a Cup? Seems logical to me. I don't think he'll ever come out and say something like that bluntly, but I don't see too many alternative explanations, given what we know.

Old
02-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
From BTG at the press conference: neither one knew about the sale, Regier's deal was an agreement in principle by the end of summer.

02-03-2011, 11:55 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
From BTG at the press conference: neither one knew about the sale, Regier's deal was an agreement in principle by the end of summer.
Yeah, on the one hand - I have to think they suspected something, even if they weren't told.

On the other hand - based on Ruff's behavior and statements - wanting to win a cup in Buffalo, but not wanting to stay until the new owner was announced - maybe he didn't know? Or at least didn't know who/when, and didn't want to take the risk.

Old
02-03-2011, 04:44 PM
sabrezombie

According to Quinn from the presser the Regier deal was made in August basically as a gentleman's agreement, the contract was drawn at the end of summer, and there was a delay in signing it because of an NHL pension problem.

They were not planning to sell the team at the time.

The offer was given to Ruff around the start of the season when things were not going well with the terrible start and he was too focused on fixing the team to worry about contracts. Then Quinn got sick and the plan was to figure out when he came back. By then they were mid season and amidst working out a deal to sell the team and it was not appropriate to be working out Lindy's contract.

The two contracts were going to be announced when both were completed, rather than having a media affair of: one being signed so why not the other? That obviously never happened for the reasons previously listed so the word never came out.

Obviously I have paraphrased this, I don't have the memory or patience to type the press conference word for word.

sabrezombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 06:29 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrezombie View Post
According to Quinn from the presser the Regier deal was made in August basically as a gentleman's agreement, the contract was drawn at the end of summer, and there was a delay in signing it because of an NHL pension problem.

They were not planning to sell the team at the time.

The offer was given to Ruff around the start of the season when things were not going well with the terrible start and he was too focused on fixing the team to worry about contracts. Then Quinn got sick and the plan was to figure out when he came back. By then they were mid season and amidst working out a deal to sell the team and it was not appropriate to be working out Lindy's contract.

The two contracts were going to be announced when both were completed, rather than having a media affair of: one being signed so why not the other? That obviously never happened for the reasons previously listed so the word never came out.

Obviously I have paraphrased this, I don't have the memory or patience to type the press conference word for word.
That's actually pretty believable.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote