HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Will we trade our 2nd?

Old
02-08-2011, 09:50 PM
Pengo

vCash: 500
Will we trade our 2nd?

2009: Buffalo trades its 2009 2nd to Toronto for Dominic Moore

2010: Buffalo trades its 2010 2nd and Nathan Paetsch to Columbus for Raffi Torres

2011: ?

--

Should we, and more importantly will we make a similar trade this season?

I really hope not... partly because we've been burned the last two seasons and partly because there aren't really any good centers who will be UFAs in the summer.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:53 PM
slip

No, we won't.

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
If it makes them better for this year and next year, I hope so.

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

No, unless it fills a long-term need, not just a rental. Someone mentioned Antoine Vermette in another thread. He's exiting his prime soon (gonna be 29 next season), and signed at 3.75 mil for another 4 years, but I think he'd fit in well in Buffalo as a 2nd/3rd line center. I wouldn't mind making a package with our 2nd rounder for him.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
No, unless it fills a long-term need, not just a rental. Someone mentioned Antoine Vermette in another thread. He's exiting his prime soon (gonna be 29 next season), and signed at 3.75 mil for another 4 years, but I think he'd fit in well in Buffalo as a 2nd/3rd line center. I wouldn't mind making a package with our 2nd rounder for him.
Some have speculated that Howson's seat may be getting a little warmer, and that he may be out if he doesn't make the playoffs this season. And if he is retained, next year will be huge for him. For that reason, I can't see him moving Vermette. He's productive and excellent at the dot, and $3.75m doesn't break the bank. With Johansen likely to make the roster next season, Columbus has a pretty solid center corps of Brassard-Vermette-Johansen, with Umberger also having the ability to play a top-9 pivot position in the event of injury. In a division with Detroit and Chicago, those centers will be very valuable. I'd love for it to happen, but I can't see it.

To answer the OP, I can't see us moving our 2nd this season. I could see Regier dangling Butler, this year's 3rd, and possibly one of the Portland blueliners (Grags? Brennan?), and seeing what he can get out of that hodgepodge.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Sabreality

his name is Curtis Glencross

Sabreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:18 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Some have speculated that Howson's seat may be getting a little warmer, and that he may be out if he doesn't make the playoffs this season. And if he is retained, next year will be huge for him. For that reason, I can't see him moving Vermette. He's productive and excellent at the dot, and $3.75m doesn't break the bank. With Johansen likely to make the roster next season, Columbus has a pretty solid center corps of Brassard-Vermette-Johansen, with Umberger also having the ability to play a top-9 pivot position in the event of injury. In a division with Detroit and Chicago, those centers will be very valuable. I'd love for it to happen, but I can't see it.
Butler and a 4th for Pahlsson.

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Pengo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Butler and a 4th for Pahlsson.
Pahlsson is another Bottom 6 center, but yes.

He was awesome for Anaheim in the 06-07 playoffs. Also, trade for Travis Moen and reunite Moen-Pahlsson-Nieds.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:26 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
If Kaberle's going rate really is a 2nd and a prospect, I'd be mad if the Sabres didn't try to do that.

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 06:38 AM
Blitz
With the #2 pick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems View Post
If Kaberle's going rate really is a 2nd and a prospect, I'd be mad if the Sabres didn't try to do that.
Kaberle's not worth a high pick (2nd) without an extension - and if he signs an extension, TO will want a 1st - or a 2nd & Kassian/Ennis type prospect.

We're fine on Defense, Leopold has been playing just as well as Kabs - No need for him here IMO

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 06:58 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Kaberle's not worth a high pick (2nd) without an extension - and if he signs an extension, TO will want a 1st - or a 2nd & Kassian/Ennis type prospect.

We're fine on Defense, Leopold has been playing just as well as Kabs - No need for him here IMO
Watching the highlights from last night (no Vs. for me) I was shocked at the play Leopold made on the first goal. Dare I say that he's healthy and finally putting together the two-way game he was touted to have coming out of juniors?

What a shock that Ruff has rehabilitated another Defenseman's game.?!

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:51 AM
Husko

I certainly hope not.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 09:01 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I fear that the Sabres will. And they might even deal their 1st rounder, too.

I just have this bad feeling that Pegula will come in and want to make some flashy additions prior to the deadline to make a grand entry as the new Sabres owner.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post

I'm not necessarily advocating for Kaberle for this year, he makes a great PP QB and is a fantastic puck-mover but we don't exactly need anymore defense. However, saying that Kaberle is not worth a 2nd is absurd. Extension or not, considering the price for rentals, a 2nd is a steal for a top puck-moving dman. A guy that could step in and run a PP and play 22-24 minutes per game.

Kaberle has made it pretty clear that he is not re-signing with Toronto so they have to move him, and if he was signing with them they wouldn't be looking to move him so the 1st or 2nd with Kassian/Ennis hypothetic is pretty much irrelevant.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
I'm not necessarily advocating for Kaberle for this year, he makes a great PP QB and is a fantastic puck-mover but we don't exactly need anymore defense. However, saying that Kaberle is not worth a 2nd is absurd. Extension or not, considering the price for rentals, a 2nd is a steal for a top puck-moving dman. A guy that could step in and run a PP and play 22-24 minutes per game.

Kaberle has made it pretty clear that he is not re-signing with Toronto so they have to move him, and if he was signing with them they wouldn't be looking to move him so the 1st or 2nd with Kassian/Ennis hypothetic is pretty much irrelevant.
Yep, given the typical deadline day return on quality defensemen in the recent past, Toronto should get a first and a pick/prospect/player for Kaberle.

Part of this will be who is available -- that has yet to be determined and will help dictate value. Centermen, good #2/#3 centermen? Particularly if they could get one for more than just this playoff run? Sure.

02-09-2011, 10:00 AM
fightclubber25

If the Sabres can turn a 2nd rounder and a prospect who was picked after the 2nd round into a proven top 6 player or top 2 D I wouldn't mind it being a rental with a chance if resigning him. Then u could take Connolly and throw him to Pitt or Boston for their 2nd.

2nd round picks are versatile in the trade market and I like our prospect pipeline I wouldn't mind selling a portion of the farm for some instant gratification / production

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
In recent years there hasn't been a great deal of separation between rounds 2-4. I'm all for dealing the 2nd for the right package, particularly if the Sabres can pick up extra 3rd/4th round picks.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:30 AM
OpethianSabre20

If what Dreger is saying about Kaberle's value (2nd rounder and a prospect) is true, I wouldn't mind moving that 2nd rounder for that kind of deal. Granted, Buffalo would have to trim the blueline a bit to make room for Kaberle, but he would make this surprisingly improved PP more dangerous and improve the overall quality of the blueline.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:53 AM
LHJMQFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
If what Dreger is saying about Kaberle's value (2nd rounder and a prospect) is true, I wouldn't mind moving that 2nd rounder for that kind of deal. Granted, Buffalo would have to trim the blueline a bit to make room for Kaberle, but he would make this surprisingly improved PP more dangerous and improve the overall quality of the blueline.
They would have tot trim the blue line A LOT... remember they have two D always in the stands. Why not give a real good chance to Gragnani who did quite well in the very short stint he had a few weeks ago. He really never had a chance and I hope for his sake that he gets traded or goes to Europe, he well deserves it.

LHJMQFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Are you guys serious about not trading our 2nd for Kaberle?? I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Timbo Slice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
He has the NTC, and several outlets, including TSN, are reporting that there are only 3-5 teams he'd waive it for. Most believe that Montreal, Boston, and Philly are definitely on the list, and San Jose is likely on the list, as well. I'd be fairly surprised if Buffalo was on his list of acceptable destinations. But who knows, maybe he considers them now that they're working their way into playoff contention. There has to be some value in not uprooting your family and being able to do that commute (even if only on off days).

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote