HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My Take on the Oiler draft

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2004, 06:41 AM
Bohologo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YKOil
I have to say that I hated this draft by the Oilers. Flame me if you will but here is why:
[...]
Reason #2 - At 14 - Dubnyk - wth???

This guy was the consensus 3rd ranked goaltender. If reports are correct and St. Louis wanted to move down then the only question is whether or not they wanted Dubnyk instead of Schwarz - and the answer seems to be Schwarz.

Dubnyk was the classic trade down pick and Lowe didn't do it.
[...]
YK, maybe this is a classic case of Half Empty or Half Full? Dubnyk may have been the consensus #3, but the Oilers had him at #1, according to Brownlee. Lowe pays the scouts for their opinions, and that's what they came up with. Often consensus diverges from what your corps of scouts comes up with, but you have to have faith in the work of your employees, not what the The Hockey News is saying.

Further, Lowe has traded down twice in recent memory: to NJ for Parise, and Montreal for Higgins, so there is a precedent of him trading down. Could it be that there was nobody with whom to trade down? Or that the asking price was too high? We're only seeing the results of what amounts to a black box of mysterious workings & negotiations.

I'm satisfied with the draft: the Oilers addressed two areas of concern: pivot & pipes.

Old
06-28-2004, 08:10 AM
YKOil

There is no doubt, really, that I am just being cranky. Still, I will stand by what I believe - I think that this is a draft where every GM was so underwhelmed by the talent pool that something special could have happened - and I wish Lowe had been the GM to do it.

In my wildest dreams? We trade Isbister & Chimera and a couple of 2nd round picks and get two more firsts and take Meszaros and Green. I would have been dancing a happy dance at that one. That said, I would have been happy just to get another first and get one of Green or Meszaros - and I don't think I would have been asking too much there.

Ah well. I'll just be cranky all on my own then, maybe grab a beer at lunch or afterwork and hope and pray that Meszaros won't be nearly as good as I think he will be (and I think he will be a solid #3 d-man at worst) while hoping that Schremp learns what the word 'team' actually means and Dubnyk learns to handle the puck.

This could have been a GREAT draft for us, as it is I have to settle for (imo) kinda-okay.

YKOil

Old
06-28-2004, 09:55 AM
pucks1

Quote:
I have to say that I hated this draft by the Oilers. Flame me if you will but here is why:

Reason #1: What could have been.

This was a draft where Wheeler goes at #5, Smid at #9, Valabik at #10, Nokelainen at #16, Chucko at #24, Shultz at 27, Fistric at #28 and Rogers at #30. This draft was wide, wide open and I am convinced that an active GM, at the top of his game, could have scooped some great prospects.

Meszaros at #23? That guy was the 3rd ranked d-man on almost every list with only Valabik being a wildcard YET Smid goes early AND Valabik goes early leaving Meszaros on the board with lots of time left. The same could be said of Zajac (at 20), Wolski (at 21) and Green (at 29).

Essentially what I am saying is that this draft was so wide open that Lowe should have been able to pick up one of those four players, Meszaros, Wolski, Zajac or Green (another first round pick basically) without paying too high of a price. And he didn't.

I am more than a little dissappointed.

Reason #2 - At 14 - Dubnyk - wth???

This guy was the consensus 3rd ranked goaltender. If reports are correct and St. Louis wanted to move down then the only question is whether or not they wanted Dubnyk instead of Schwarz - and the answer seems to be Schwarz.

Dubnyk was the classic trade down pick and Lowe didn't do it.

Reason #3 - At 25 - Schremp - wth???

Not because this was a bad pick but because Lowe had to get INCREDIBLY lucky to land this guy. Lowe didn't get Schremp because he is an astute GM - he got him because so any teams went far, far off the board and because every GM had a hard-on for size that Schremp in a free fall.

I am glad we got Schremp but I won't make teh mistake of thinking we got him because Lowe was just that much smarter than everyone else - we got lucky and that is all there is to it.

Reason #4 - We still have Isbister

Enough said.

I am not unhappy with our prospect list coming out of this draft - I am unhappy with how good this draft COULD have been. Lowe simply didn't impress me at all. This could have been a very special draft and it ended up being average, at best, as far as I am concerned.

On the size note,, that is true, they love size, but ive seen schremp walk guys twice his size with ease, example: the highlight goal at the prospects game.

YKOil

Old
06-28-2004, 11:12 AM
copperandblue

For what it's worth....

Dubnyk - I was a little surprised by this pick, not so much that they got him but the fact they took him at 14. With that said, if the Oilers actually had him as the #1 goaltender in the draft as they said, then I am comfortable with the decision.

If Dubnyk was #1 and it is logical to assume that Montoya would have been #2 then Lowe was faced with going after his first choice at 14 or gambling that he may be looking at his 3rd choice come the 25th pick. To me that seems like a no brainer that he goes for his #1.

Someone mentioned that they would like to see Lowe be more decisive at times like the draft. Seems to me that he was exactly that. He went with his top choice and that is what you want.

Schremp - I am am pretty happy with this, when they passed him over at 14 I thought it was a blown opportunity. I figured that with 2 first rounders in a draft where it was considered that 8 through 44 were all over the board, the Oilers could afford to gamble one one pick in order to hopefully get what they are missing.

Schremp fit that profile for me. He brings the skill set that the Oilers covet and brings the question marks that make him a gamble. Here is hoping that the skill set has more impact on his career than the question marks. I think it was a solid gamble and good decision by the Oilers.

Wether the selections went in the order they were supposed to or not, it doesn't really matter to me. They addressed to needs and got two players that most people here would have been thrilled with had they gone in the opposite spots.

Disappointment of the day is the Chimera move. I don't think the Oilers needed to move a guy on draft day and I don't get the impression that the draft was deep enough to warrant giving up an NHL ready player for a prospect/project.

I was always of the opinion that the Oilers should have kept Chimera over Isbister and even if there wasn't a move available for Izzy, it doesn't in my mind, warrant moving Chimera. Even if Izzy wasn't qualified and they lost him for nothing, I think that Chimera can provide as much as Isbister for a fraction of the cost (not saying Chimmer is a 30-30-60 player just that I am not as sold on Isbister being more than a 20-20-40 player, a stat that I think Chimmer could accomplish in another year or two).

For all the talk by the TSN guys about watching Dubnyk VS Swartz in the next couple years, for me it will be more interesting to see what plays out on the Chimera VS Isbister front.

Old
06-28-2004, 12:00 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
This could have been a GREAT draft for us, as it is I have to settle for (imo) kinda-okay.
See... I disagree.... besides the teams that picked early in the draft - all the NHL would love to have the two guys the Oilers got. Perhaps KLowe had a strong sense that the "attitude" factor would make Rob slip to their second pick? You don't know, I don't know. Chimera clearly wouldn't have got Lowe into the first round because do you not think that if he wanted to trade him and he could have swung him to get another pick in the first he wouldn't have? Of course he would have. This could-woulda stuff is laughable IMO.