HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

What do the flames do?

Old
02-02-2011, 03:55 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
What do the flames do?

If the flames are within 4 points of the playoff's, at the trade deadline.

What do you think the flames should do?.

Buy - Push for the playoff's
Sell - Push for the future
Stay the Course - Don't do anything, and see how it unfolds.

In my opinion, I think the flames should seriously consider the future, and sell this trade deadline.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 03:57 AM
pens83*

vCash: 500
They should sell.....

pens83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:12 AM
Canuck and Bills Fan

I think Jay Feester will try and do whatever it will takes to prolong his tenure as GM and as much as most hockey fans would agree that its building for the future. The people he needs to convince would want him to make the playoffs. So if they are in a playoff spot or 4 or less points out they will be buyers and this can not sit well with Flames fans.

Canuck and Bills Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:19 AM
Schennanigans

This winning streak sure has complicated things for them.... His job just got more tougher than it needed to be.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 06:13 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
If the flames are within 4 points of the playoff's, at the trade deadline.

What do you think the flames should do?.

Buy - Push for the playoff's
Sell - Push for the future
Stay the Course - Don't do anything, and see how it unfolds.

In my opinion, I think the flames should seriously consider the future, and sell this trade deadline.
we should do a combination of all 3...

I'm not saying big noise in any 1 direction.. but do something small in a few directions...

for example this is a deal that has been discussed quite a bit by Flames and Flyers fans...

to Flyers:
Curtis Glencross

to Flames:
Dan Carcillo
3rd Round Pick

another possible move is moving Niklas Hagman for a pending UFA... perhaps a deal like this...

to Capitals:
Niklas Hagman

to Flames:
Brooks Laich

- I'm not saying the Caps would/should do this either just an idea where we are buying a pending UFA while selling off a guy that doesn't seem to fit in our system... but basically standing pat

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 06:50 AM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

It's become tough.. You'll have to see this before the day on trade deadline.. If the Flames are like only 5-3 points out of a final playoff spot, you keep Iginla and Kipper, if you start spreading and are like 10-8 points out, I think they should sell

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:48 AM
madmike77

My guess is stay the course. They haven't proven they're good enough to beat elite teams - even with a little push. And I doubt they sell if they're close to a spot - it would be really tough to sell that to the fans.

Staying the course would seem to be the safest path.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:58 AM
nickschultzfan

Rebuild rebuild rebuild.

The same thing they SHOULD have been doing the last season.

They are painting themselves into a corner, because their most impressive trading pieces, Iginla, Kipper, Regher, and Sarich, have less trade value each time they push back the rebuild.

nickschultzfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

i think that they stay the course and feaster makes moves in the off-season.

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:02 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
My guess is stay the course. They haven't proven they're good enough to beat elite teams - even with a little push. And I doubt they sell if they're close to a spot - it would be really tough to sell that to the fans.

Staying the course would seem to be the safest path.
against the 6 division leaders we are .500 considering how we've done this year to date, thats not so bad

Old
02-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Rebuild rebuild rebuild.

The same thing they SHOULD have been doing the last season.

They are painting themselves into a corner, because their most impressive trading pieces, Iginla, Kipper, Regher, and Sarich, have less trade value each time they push back the rebuild.
actually all of those but kipper have more value now than they did after last season...

Iginla was said to be washed up and declining... his actually been better this year than last...

Regehr was simply bad last year for the most part... this year he is back to his old self and playing very well

Sarich was hurt most of last year and had a rough season... this year he's healthy and played himself back into the top 4

Kipper hasn't had as good of a year as last year

Old
02-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Fat Jughead

Poor Iggy. When he finally gets free it's gonna be like when Mandela was released. People the hockey world over will be jubilant and dancing in the streets, while his captors will fear his return to power. Not to worry cows, like Mandela: Iggy's way to classy to seek revenge (but that doesn't mean he won't get it on some level mwaahahaahaaaa!)

The entire hockey world cries for you Iggy. Hang on buddy, your day's a comin'.

My only wish is that when the day comes, Bettman has the common sense to hand Iginla the Cup, regardless of whether he has a C on his jersey or not. I dislike Bettman for a lot of reasons, but what he did to Ray Bourque on his day in the sun, I'll never forgive him for.

Still waiting for Bettman to be slapped with some form of televised cosmic justice for that one; maybe a bird could **** on his head, or better still, a horse. Maybe he could slip on a **** and land face 1st in a bigger pile of ****, that would be good...whenever you're ready God, just let me know so I don't miss it.

Remember: Gary Bettman vs poop; I don't ask for anything, God. Please give me this 1 thing...AND FREE IGGY 2011.

Fat Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Soundwave

No chance in hell any Canadian franchise would commit to a rebuild when they're sitting 2 points out of a playoff berth with 30+ games to go.

No Canadian ownership group would allow it and the Flames already seemed squeamish at the idea of trading Iginla even a month ago.

They still have all those fugly Heritage Classic jerseys they want to sell to boot.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:05 AM
nickschultzfan

The truth of the matter is that Calgary is middling team that is built with a bunch of guys in their 30s and very late 20s. That's not a good position to be in.

Sure, they might be able to hang on for a few more seasons, maybe even making the playoffs once, but the direction of that team is clear.

nickschultzfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Pacem

Well the Flames are 2 points out right now, so if they are 4 points out by the trade deadline then they can't keep the pace set by the other teams, so they'd have to sell.

I think they should only sell the UFA's. Glencross, Morrison, Babchuk and possibly Tanguay (NMC). The players with extra years that could be parted with should wait untill the off season. Regehr, Moss, Iginla (if he wants to) and Kipper can fetch value in the off season when other teams have more flexibility. Draft day is a good day to make moves.

If the Flames are 2 points or less behind 8th place come deadline day, then they i'd want them to stand pat and see if they can do it, and then move pieces in the off season. Same names mentioned above. Sure they'd lose whatever draft picks they could get from the likes of Morrison, Glencross etc etc but when you're that close to the playoffs and are playing well you can't sell your team off. Its not fair to the fans or the players to give up that far into the season and when you're so close. Start the rebuild in the summer.

Im a firm believer that anything can happen come playoff time.

Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:28 AM
zeus3007*

What SHOULD they do? Probably a partial blow up. What WILL they do? Play their butts off, make a pile of trades at the deadline to try to push into the playoffs, and finish in 9th spot in the west...probably with no draft pick in the first round.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:33 AM
northernKing

In order to properly correct the problem Calgary needs to trade off some players.
Guys like Tanguay, Glencross, Morrisson, Staios and Babchuk are all UFA and could bring in draft picks or younger prospects.
CGY has a 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th rd pick this year. Moving these guys along with maybe a Hagman they could really upgrade thier pick selection.

Morrison is a plus 4 on a team full of minuses and can be a very solid 4th line C and PKer on a playoff team

The major moves like Regher and co may have to wait til the summer but personally I would move him if offered a young C in the Zajac/Krejci mold

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Jesus Toews*

Sell. They won't win a single playoff game this year, whether that means being swept by the Canucks in the first round or the more likely scenario of missing the playoffs.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

It's tough since playoffs still equal some revenue that I'm sure any owner would really like.

Personally, I'd sell a little. I wouldn't go into full blown, all out rebuild mode, but if I could get a few more picks and/or a couple close to NHL ready prospects for some of the non-core players then I probably would do it.

Keep the core and sell some spare parts if the return is right.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Pacem

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
What SHOULD they do? Probably a partial blow up. What WILL they do? Play their butts off, make a pile of trades at the deadline to try to push into the playoffs, and finish in 9th spot in the west...probably with no draft pick in the first round.
Last year was the first year Calgary didn't have a first round pick since 1989, IIRC. So they'll probably have a draft pick in the first round. Nice try tho.

Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:13 PM
iggyman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacem View Post
Last year was the first year Calgary didn't have a first round pick since 1989, IIRC. So they'll probably have a draft pick in the first round. Nice try tho.
Was going to make the same comment until I seen your post. Nice.

iggyman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:14 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacem View Post
So where have Irving, Pelech and Chucko ended up?

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:19 PM
SaintMorose

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
So where have Irving, Pelech and Chucko ended up?
Irving is having a bounce back season once again looks like an NHL goaltender

Pelech had some injury issues and failed to impress in the last camp. On a team needing a cheap defense man to fill in holes on the blue line he would probably be in the NHL as a 5-6-7 guy

Chucko hasn't been able to bounce back effectively and will never be a NHL player imo

don't know what this has to do with whether or not Calgary has picked in the first round; unless your point is even with late first round picks we still hold on to them?

SaintMorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Stan Dupcomic
Thank you come again

push for the playoffs obviously... if the team's well in playoff reach and they clean house the GM should be instantly fired.

fans want to see a playoff team, not a lottery team

Stan Dupcomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:54 PM
FLAMESFAN

no team should sell if they are within reach of the playoffs

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote