HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tavares 100 NHL point mark

Old
02-01-2011, 11:04 PM
John TavArt Ross

vCash: 500
Tavares 100 NHL point mark

Give or take a few games; Tavares is 8 points away from 100 points. This should put him at around 135-150 games. For our franchise, #1 overall pick, are you happy with this feat? Should we have expected more? less? Discuss.

I think for what he's been paired up with, this is more than an acceptable performance thus far. If more offensive support was provided, this mark would have been surpassed early in the season.

John TavArt Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:16 PM
JKP

He's a kid surrounded by kids and has-beens playing a man's game. He's doing just fine. I'm happy with him so far. As advertised.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:38 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

I couldn't be happier with the way he's progressing. Pretty much right on schedule.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Isles Junkie

I'm fine with his production. The thing that bothers me is I know it would be much more if he was playing with legitimate top line talent.

Isles Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Boik14

I have to agree with the sentiment given. He wasnt supposed to be the next Crosby, he was supposed to be a very good goal scorer and he is that. Im quite happy with the way hes developing. I think his skating and back-checking are better then advertised and hes still a young kid. I think the lack of talent surrounding him and the inability to have teammates who can create for him and finish around the net negatively impact his point totals as well. Okposo and Moulson are really the only players he has had around him who can carry the label as finishers and both of them are in the same boat as JT. Kinda wish we could land a playmaking winger for JT, one that can create space for him to really operate because I think JT really does have 90-100 point potential in him but it would be tough for any player to stand alone and do that on a team lacking so much in established talent like us. Only the exceptional could ever do that which is of course what separates the Crosby's and Ovechkin's.

Boik14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 03:49 AM
Mikkel

Worth mentioning that Okposo hit the 100 point mark just last night (160 games btw, although spread out on 4 seasons).

Mikkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:18 AM
4Isles4*

Gotta LOVE JOHNNY

4Isles4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:48 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Absolutely. And he is only going to get better and better.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:22 AM
CaptDenisPotvin

I think the main thing is you could always see he had talent but now you can actually see him getting better which in my opinion is better than just the numbers. Yes I thiunk the number total is good anyway but he's absolutely turned up the proiduction over thelast 20 or so games. I think thats even mre encouraging than the total points right no for his career.

Congrats JT, hopefully this is the first of many milestones for you as an Islander.

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:37 AM
DoggyOnDown

not to be a jerk but do we eally need to rehash this topic over and over again??? isnt there a thread devoted enitely to JT?? yet in response i am think he is progressing nicely with what hand he has been dealt.

DoggyOnDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:24 PM
jmg27

The thing that stands out more for me then anything else is his vision. To be completely honest I thought when he was drafted I expected more of a one dimensional scorer. I was wrong.... I didnt expect him to be the passer that I have seen and it will only get better with time. His playmaking is very underrated and although his assist numbers are not off the charts, the numbers do not completely tell the story.

jmg27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:45 PM
cjdv16

Amen to a good many of the statements here.

I'm very pleased w/his game. While Matt Duchene is better suited for today's NHL (and John for the tighter checking game of 10 years ago), that's a different story.

His vision is phenomenal.
His game around the net is excellent and getting better.
His shot is improving dramatically.
His skating has improved.

If you take this kid and pair him with any element of veteran talent (ahem, ahem.... Martin St. Louis or Lecavalier in Tampa for example), his numbers completely skyrocket.... not just the assists, but the goals.

He makes his linemates go. It's that simple. If not for his exception vision and abilities, his linemates are far below pedestrian.

This kid's the real deal. Will take the rest of the NHL a bit longer to find that out.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:47 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasm37 View Post
Give or take a few games; Tavares is 8 points away from 100 points. This should put him at around 135-150 games. For our franchise, #1 overall pick, are you happy with this feat? Should we have expected more? less? Discuss.

I think for what he's been paired up with, this is more than an acceptable performance thus far. If more offensive support was provided, this mark would have been surpassed early in the season.
I think if you look at players like Thornton, The Sedins, Lecavalier, Marleau, etc, he's surpassed their pace at the start of their NHL careers. And he did this while being on a team that isn't very talented, as well as being keyed on by other teams top checking lines from game one of his career. Since his rookie season, improved his skating, faceoffs, and checking. I'm thrilled with his production to date. I think he is a star in the making. He is never going to be a Crosby or Ovechkin, and I never expected that, but I think he will be in that second tier of stars, similar to the Thornton's of the world.

He had 54 points as a rookie, he's on pace for 66 points this year, so that's a fine jump from his rookie season, as well as the afore mentioned improved skating, faceoffs and checking.

scott99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Tavares2TheRescue
We Want The de

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I'm fine with his production. The thing that bothers me is I know it would be much more if he was playing with legitimate top line talent.
Or even legitimate 2nd line talent even.

I think that performance is fine from Tavares, especially given his low quality of teammates. He's only 20, yet he lead the team in points last year and is on pace to lead them again this year.

Tavares2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:34 PM
EternallyLeafs
doris

He'll be a top 10 center in the league, once some of your prospects have developed a bit and he has some legitimate help.

EternallyLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote