HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Need for a Heavyweight?

Old
02-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Orr Nightmare

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
You see what has been happening the last few weeks? Weak teams are being punished and wait til NY Islander Boston and Pitt come to NY I hope Cally and Staal are ready
If I wasn't a die Ranger fan the Bruins would be my team...I love the way they are built...the big bad Bruins are back and watch the noise they make.

I know "fans" want to say the Rangers have enough grit and all I can do is and at little people understand the game of hockey

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 09:25 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Boyle has to be the biggest Puss in the league.What a waste of a 6ft 7 frame..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
We don't need to get bigger we should just turn the other cheek and play like p***ies....poor Prust, if I was him I would ask for huge raise.

I think Boyle has done very good things this year but for a 6'7" 260 pound, he sure is a *****!

Long live the finesse Rangers, it really has worked welll for us the last 15 years.

Let's trade for Richards and Kaberle and get even softer.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Orr Nightmare

The Islander-Pens sure got ugly fast...good thing that doesn't happen in hockey anymore...those days are dead.

If the Rangers were in that type of guy a few guys might have gotten killed.

Let's roll 4 lines of 5'10 players...that will get us places.

Rangers couldn't stop Kane, Stewart, Ladd, Thourbourn and Buff tonight because they can't handle their size, let's get Kaberle, he will be able to out muscle them.

I read we should trade for Enstrom, while I do not deny he is a good player he is exactly the opposite of what this team needs.

If the Rangers do not acquire skilled big mean then they will have no shot of competing with the teams in the East...true colors are starting to expose themselves.

Poor Prust, he has to get beat up to try and fire up his team.

Lets trade for Stephen Weise or Kris Versteeg or Steve Sullivan...those guys would really put us over the top.

Old
02-11-2011, 10:06 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Where are all the roll 4 line guys?? Probably adding up fantasy points..

Old
02-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Blue Line Monster

If we had an enforcer to send out to do battle with Atlanta's enforcer we win this game.

Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:26 PM
NikC

all kidding aside i thought this team had a swagger when Boogey was in the lineup that they definitely don't have now.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:34 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

anyone that doesnt see this has their head in the sand..we not only need a legit Heavy we need bigger players..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
all kidding aside i thought this team had a swagger when Boogey was in the lineup that they definitely don't have now.

Old
02-11-2011, 10:38 PM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Line Monster View Post
If we had an enforcer to send out to do battle with Atlanta's enforcer we win this game.

We win 8-0!

Enforcers = Cups!

Look at the Redwings! Who wants to face Datsyuk and Zetterberg!

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Blue Line Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
We win 8-0!

Enforcers = Cups!

Look at the Redwings! Who wants to face Datsyuk and Zetterberg!
They're just soft Euros. You aren't going to win anything in this league with guys like that.

Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Line Monster View Post
They're just soft Euros. You aren't going to win anything in this league with guys like that.

They don't have any legit heavyweights and they definitely don't have any players as talented as Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 02:05 AM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

vCash: 50
What Prust did such a bad job tonight? He got in a fight. Good for him, that's his job. This isn't boxing, you don't have to win the fight.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 03:24 AM
eco's bones

Well my opinion is the Rangers have too many dancers and not enough grit. For instance--Christensen comes back and Newbury goes down. On the surface that should be a + for the team. Christensen to help get Gaborik on his game--is a skilled player albeit an inconsistent one but he hasn't really done much since his return to the lineup. I wonder right now if we wouldn't be better off if Newbury were still here. These are things I'm seeing:

1) The Rangers are not taking the body as much as they were earlier in the season 2) Prust is a very game player but is not and should not be the guy facing legit heavyweights 3) this thing called 'team toughness' has to start somewhere and is not just a collective mentality that the whole team buys into. Rangers became more comfortable with themselves last year when they brought in Shelley and Prust. At the start of the season with Boogaard it was very apparent. Now teams are tightening the D and those that are bigger and grittier than us are using that to their advantage. They also know that they can get away with a lot more than before now that the Rangers don't have a legit HW.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 04:42 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
[QUOTE=eco's bones;30853443]Well my opinion is the Rangers have too many dancers and not enough grit. For instance--Christensen comes back and Newbury goes down. On the surface that should be a + for the team. Christensen to help get Gaborik on his game--is a skilled player albeit an inconsistent one but he hasn't really done much since his return to the lineup. I wonder right now if we wouldn't be better off if Newbury were still here. These are things I'm seeing:

1) The Rangers are not taking the body as much as they were earlier in the season 2) Prust is a very game player but is not and should not be the guy facing legit heavyweights 3) this thing called 'team toughness' has to start somewhere and is not just a collective mentality that the whole team buys into. Rangers became more comfortable with themselves last year when they brought in Shelley and Prust. At the start of the season with Boogaard it was very apparent. Now teams are tightening the D and those that are bigger and grittier than us are using that to their advantage. They also know that they can get away with a lot more than before now that the Rangers don't have a legit HW.[/QUOTE]

Totally wrong - team toughness is a fantasyworld built up by pansy HFers wishing that we could do things that are impossible with players that cannot cope with other teams goons and Heavyweights...Not the main issue with what is presently wrong with the team I readily admit, but certainly one aspect that many here will deny no matter what the situation is. Good point

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:12 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Yeah - I played hockey on a semi pro level through Juniors. Personally know lots of professional players, scouts and coaches in both NHL & Europe, including immediate family...Bleh bleh bleh, thanx for the knowlegeable lecture about my lacking hockey knowhow - Mr Besserwisser. So my opinion differs from yours here on this subject of enforcers. But then again I do not start telling you where your knowlege of the game lies. Your whole point became moot when you became a judgemental, patronizing pansy. You don´t like being called a pansy? Ouch - that must hurt then...
Just saw this post. Can't believe this thread is still going.

Firstly, your "Besserwisser" comment makes me wonder what other agendas you might be carrying around. I'll leave it at that, for now.

Secondly, I played college hockey, but I realize that doesn't make me a better judge of the game of hockey.

As to someone calling someone else a pansy in a chat room:

Is it even possible to be a bigger pansy than someone who writes something like that anonymously?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:25 AM
chosen

No one disputes that the Rangers need to be bigger and tougher. The difference in opinion is whether getting a heavyweight goon is a solution.

Those talking about the big, bad Bruins are proving my point. They are not winning because they have heavyweight goons. It's because their tough players can also play the game of hockey.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:08 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
The Islander-Pens sure got ugly fast...good thing that doesn't happen in hockey anymore...those days are dead.

If the Rangers were in that type of guy a few guys might have gotten killed.

Let's roll 4 lines of 5'10 players...that will get us places.

Rangers couldn't stop Kane, Stewart, Ladd, Thourbourn and Buff tonight because they can't handle their size, let's get Kaberle, he will be able to out muscle them.

I read we should trade for Enstrom, while I do not deny he is a good player he is exactly the opposite of what this team needs.

If the Rangers do not acquire skilled big mean then they will have no shot of competing with the teams in the East...true colors are starting to expose themselves.

Poor Prust, he has to get beat up to try and fire up his team.

Lets trade for Stephen Weise or Kris Versteeg or Steve Sullivan...those guys would really put us over the top.
I was out to dinner and saw (without volume) the end of Prusts scrap with Boulton. I then caught a glimpse of Prust slamming his stick when he got back to the bench. What was that about??

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Ryan McDonut
Re-sign Glass

after seeing this 6 game losing streak its clear that we really need an enforcer.

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 01:07 PM
eco's bones

[QUOTE=BBKers;30853776]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Well my opinion is the Rangers have too many dancers and not enough grit. For instance--Christensen comes back and Newbury goes down. On the surface that should be a + for the team. Christensen to help get Gaborik on his game--is a skilled player albeit an inconsistent one but he hasn't really done much since his return to the lineup. I wonder right now if we wouldn't be better off if Newbury were still here. These are things I'm seeing:

1) The Rangers are not taking the body as much as they were earlier in the season 2) Prust is a very game player but is not and should not be the guy facing legit heavyweights 3) this thing called 'team toughness' has to start somewhere and is not just a collective mentality that the whole team buys into. Rangers became more comfortable with themselves last year when they brought in Shelley and Prust. At the start of the season with Boogaard it was very apparent. Now teams are tightening the D and those that are bigger and grittier than us are using that to their advantage. They also know that they can get away with a lot more than before now that the Rangers don't have a legit HW.[/QUOTE]

Totally wrong - team toughness is a fantasyworld built up by pansy HFers wishing that we could do things that are impossible with players that cannot cope with other teams goons and Heavyweights...Not the main issue with what is presently wrong with the team I readily admit, but certainly one aspect that many here will deny no matter what the situation is. Good point
uh...I think you need to reread that section you've highlighted because apart from the first two words--totally wrong--you're to my mind pretty much reiterating what I said only in a different way.

To clarify when I say toughness has to start somewhere I meant there has to be a focal point--which a Boogaard, an Orr or a Shelley would be. Someone the team can really look to when the **** hits the fan as it always inevitably does. This may not sit well with some but I don't consider occasional fighters like Callahan, Dubinksy or Sauer to be tough players. They may be agressive, hard hitting, whatever but they won't make other teams take a step back. Current Ranger team isn't very tough at all.

Old
02-12-2011, 01:12 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
No one disputes that the Rangers need to be bigger and tougher. The difference in opinion is whether getting a heavyweight goon is a solution.

Those talking about the big, bad Bruins are proving my point. They are not winning because they have heavyweight goons. It's because their tough players can also play the game of hockey.
Which is where--hopefully--eventually McIlrath will fit in. I know the likes of Boogaard and Orr are lousy hockey players--that Shelley is moderately better. There are not all that many quality fighters who can really play. For now the Rangers might want to think about calling the Ottawa GM--see what it costs to get a Carkner and/or a Neil both of whom while hardly terrific are at least capable of taking a regular shift.

Old
02-12-2011, 01:18 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Which is where--hopefully--eventually McIlrath will fit in. I know the likes of Boogaard and Orr are lousy hockey players--that Shelley is moderately better. There are not all that many quality fighters who can really play. For now the Rangers might want to think about calling the Ottawa GM--see what it costs to get a Carkner and/or a Neil both of whom while hardly terrific are at least capable of taking a regular shift.
I'd take either one.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 01:41 PM
BBKers

[QUOTE=eco's bones;30860283]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post

uh...I think you need to reread that section you've highlighted because apart from the first two words--totally wrong--you're to my mind pretty much reiterating what I said only in a different way.

To clarify when I say toughness has to start somewhere I meant there has to be a focal point--which a Boogaard, an Orr or a Shelley would be. Someone the team can really look to when the **** hits the fan as it always inevitably does. This may not sit well with some but I don't consider occasional fighters like Callahan, Dubinksy or Sauer to be tough players. They may be agressive, hard hitting, whatever but they won't make other teams take a step back. Current Ranger team isn't very tough at all.
I was being ironic, sorry, I totally agreed with you. But my comment flushed someone out of the brush so to speak.

Old
02-12-2011, 01:58 PM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Just saw this post. Can't believe this thread is still going.

Firstly, your "Besserwisser" comment makes me wonder what other agendas you might be carrying around. I'll leave it at that, for now.

Secondly, I played college hockey, but I realize that doesn't make me a better judge of the game of hockey.

As to someone calling someone else a pansy in a chat room:

Is it even possible to be a bigger pansy than someone who writes something like that anonymously?
See below

Last edited by BBKers: 02-12-2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Double post
Old
02-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
I was out to dinner and saw (without volume) the end of Prusts scrap with Boulton. I then caught a glimpse of Prust slamming his stick when he got back to the bench. What was that about??
The guy is a warrior, he is willing to fight heavyweights to get his team going....

All these guys think I just want goons...what I want is a team built like the Bruins...tough guys who can play and protect themselves and protect the more skilled guys...a blend...you can't have a team of Bourque, Thomas, Zucc, Step, Cally and Gilroy and hope to survive.

The Red Wings are an extremely talented team and Zetterberg and Dats are elite players..if I was playing against them, I would lean on them and try to get them off their games as much as possible.

Old
02-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
I would take either one...Carkner being my preference.

Old
02-12-2011, 03:56 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
If I wasn't a die Ranger fan the Bruins would be my team...I love the way they are built...the big bad Bruins are back and watch the noise they make.

I know "fans" want to say the Rangers have enough grit and all I can do is and at little people understand the game of hockey
The Bruins have Lucic who is the type of player any team in the NHL could use. I wish the Rangers had someone like him or Evander Kane. Goons of the 70's, 80's, 90's, are simply a dying breed.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote