HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Need for a Heavyweight?

Old
02-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Orr Nightmare

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
The Bruins have Lucic who is the type of player any team in the NHL could use. I wish the Rangers had someone like him or Evander Kane. Goons of the 70's, 80's, 90's, are simply a dying breed.
Agreed. Goons are dying, however, they are not dead yet!

In addition to Lucic they have Johnny Boychuck, Adam McQuaid, Andrew Ference, Zdeno Chara, Shawn Thortnon, Greg (daddies boy) Campbell, Mark Stuart and and to a much lesser extent Recchi, who is still tough as nails.

That is one tough team.

They can afford the luxury of having smaller skilled guys like Marchand, Hamill, Krejci and Kampfer

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 04:18 PM
bmoak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
I was out to dinner and saw (without volume) the end of Prusts scrap with Boulton. I then caught a glimpse of Prust slamming his stick when he got back to the bench. What was that about??

He hurt his hand and had to go to the locker room and miss a few shifts.

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Leetch66

Carkner & Neil would cure some of what ails us . They might not help the PP much but they would help some of our younger guys get a little more time & space and hopefully keep Girardi and Staal from being mugged in the upcoming games . Heck they may as well throw in Kovalev for a bag of pucks !

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:16 PM
Badko

Get that kid Kyle Clifford in here. He can throw 'em!!

Badko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:05 AM
JimmyStart*

Since we had already gotten him I was excited to see Boog beat the hell out of some people but he kinda sucked and got beat himself. With the way the team is now I say there's no need for a heavyweight at all.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:12 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Agreed. Goons are dying, however, they are not dead yet!

In addition to Lucic they have Johnny Boychuck, Adam McQuaid, Andrew Ference, Zdeno Chara, Shawn Thortnon, Greg (daddies boy) Campbell, Mark Stuart and and to a much lesser extent Recchi, who is still tough as nails.

That is one tough team.

They can afford the luxury of having smaller skilled guys like Marchand, Hamill, Krejci and Kampfer
Pitt has a damn tough team too, even though the Isles ran over them recently. Godard, Engy, Asham, Rupp, Adams, Orpik...That's solid! Add on two agitating cheapshot artist punks like Talbot and Cooke and the whiniest superstar the game has ever seen and you have an excititng team that will get into some good scraps along the way.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:21 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
stevezipay Steve Zipay
Derek Boogaaard (concussion) is riding bike, but no workouts
Good news on Boogy

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:37 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Good news on Boogy
Good news but forget the bike... that guys gonna need to hit the eliptical!

Old
02-15-2011, 01:17 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Pitt has a damn tough team too, even though the Isles ran over them recently. Godard, Engy, Asham, Rupp, Adams, Orpik...That's solid! Add on two agitating cheapshot artist punks like Talbot and Cooke and the whiniest superstar the game has ever seen and you have an excititng team that will get into some good scraps along the way.
Are we looking to win fights or games? Not unless you just watch the games for the fights and could care less who wins. The Isles don't run over the Penguins if Malkin and Crosby are in the lineup.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 06:28 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Are we looking to win fights or games? Not unless you just watch the games for the fights and could care less who wins. The Isles don't run over the Penguins if Malkin and Crosby are in the lineup.
I'm always looking for both.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Who are you to judge me for a comment on a team that is tough? Get over yourself!

Its obvious I watch games to see my favorite team win. Otherwise I would stick to fight forums only. Been going to games since the 80's and have traveled as far as Western canada to support the Rangers. Becuase I am a fan of the North American physical brand of hockey does not mean I watch a game for the fights.

Old
02-15-2011, 07:59 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
Carkner & Neil would cure some of what ails us . They might not help the PP much but they would help some of our younger guys get a little more time & space and hopefully keep Girardi and Staal from being mugged in the upcoming games . Heck they may as well throw in Kovalev for a bag of pucks !
if we did nothing else but this i would be happy. Makes us alot tougher. Maybe one other move for someone who can score and that would be a good trade deadline imo.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:22 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
I'm always looking for both.
Yea but in the new NHL, you don't even have to win fights because there's no need for goons. As a matter of fact you're at a disadvantage because teams don't have to fight you, so they'll just let you take penalties and then burn out the bulb behind your goal keeper.

Old
02-15-2011, 09:43 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Who are you to judge me for a comment on a team that is tough? Get over yourself!

Its obvious I watch games to see my favorite team win. Otherwise I would stick to fight forums only. Been going to games since the 80's and have traveled as far as Western canada to support the Rangers. Becuase I am a fan of the North American physical brand of hockey does not mean I watch a game for the fights.
Yea okay, get out of the 70's. Who builds a team with goons and instigators? You said the Islanders ran over them. I was assuming you meant on the score sheet but wasn't sure. So I said, they don't run over #### if the other team has their better players.

Hey, it's great that Engy and Godard makes the game exciting for the Penguins fans. As long as you're not implying the Rangers would be better if they had Godard, Rupp, and Engy in the lineup!

I agree, they're easier to enjoy watching (if you're waiting to see a potential brawl) when their on a team you despise. They suck other wise.

Old
02-16-2011, 07:59 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Yea okay, get out of the 70's. Who builds a team with goons and instigators? You said the Islanders ran over them. I was assuming you meant on the score sheet but wasn't sure. So I said, they don't run over #### if the other team has their better players.

Hey, it's great that Engy and Godard makes the game exciting for the Penguins fans. As long as you're not implying the Rangers would be better if they had Godard, Rupp, and Engy in the lineup!

I agree, they're easier to enjoy watching (if you're waiting to see a potential brawl) when their on a team you despise. They suck other wise.
So the teram that sucks otherwise is now sitting in what 4th place in the conference while the other tough team we were discussing (Bruins) are sitting in 3rd in the conference? What exactly is your point there?

I'm far removed from the 70's. But, there is nothing wrong with having a tough team, especially when you have two of the top 3 players in the game today. But, my comment on the Pens had nothing to do with the Rangers. I never said they should employ Godard, Rupp or Engy so please don't put words in my mouth. What I meant was Pitt to me is similar to Boston in the sense that they are exteremely tough teams.

But while on the topic, tell me what is wrong if the Rangers were to add some toughness? Do you feel that is a bad idea?

I have posted that in other threads so I will ad it here too. A Bissionette, Tootoo, Rypien, Carkner, Bieska, Neil etc. I'll take one of them all day long going down the stretch. It doesn't have to be a super-heavyweight. Just a guy to help out to give the boys some extra room out there. A guy that can impose his will somewhat. I'm not saying give me the Minnesota Fighting Saints. Not saying give me the Broad Street Bullies. Just some help for Brandon Prust whether it be on the defense or as a forward.

Old
02-16-2011, 01:30 PM
bernmeister

Tysen Dowzak
not much skating required as a stay at home D, especially if paired w/faster skaters Gilroy, MDZ
Already in our system under contract.
Tough guy, not one dimensional fighter exclusively, but will help out
Main weakness in his game is skating
Worth giving him a cup of coffee, at least against a weaker team.

Try him, you'll like him; otherwise..
let the Ivan Baranka era begin!

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:20 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Tysen Dowzak
not much skating required as a stay at home D, especially if paired w/faster skaters Gilroy, MDZ
Already in our system under contract.
Tough guy, not one dimensional fighter exclusively, but will help out
Main weakness in his game is skating
Worth giving him a cup of coffee, at least against a weaker team.

Try him, you'll like him; otherwise..
let the Ivan Baranka era begin!
Yeah.

We need players whose primary weakness is skating.

Excellent strategy!

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:53 PM
Tumsh

If the team "needs" a goon in order for some of the other guys to play at their best, then I'd prefer to start looking at those other guys first...

Tumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 09:14 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Boogaards symptom free! Wants to play before season ends..Says Carkners punch didnt hurt him but being flipped to the ground did..Man o man I wish he could play Sunday vs Philthy.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Who would you sit for Boogaard right now?

02-17-2011, 09:24 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Excellent question..All I know is he would be in on Sunday..Maybe a 4th line of,

Boogard Avery Prust?

Old
02-17-2011, 09:28 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Against the bigger more physical teams..EC would sit..

Old
02-17-2011, 09:34 PM
XLJ

Torts said in the pregame when he was talking about Prust vs Boulton that he hates staged fights and doesn't want his team involved in those. I doubt Boogaard is dressing for a game even if he is healthy.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:49 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
So the teram that sucks otherwise is now sitting in what 4th place in the conference while the other tough team we were discussing (Bruins) are sitting in 3rd in the conference? What exactly is your point there?

I'm far removed from the 70's. But, there is nothing wrong with having a tough team, especially when you have two of the top 3 players in the game today. But, my comment on the Pens had nothing to do with the Rangers. I never said they should employ Godard, Rupp or Engy so please don't put words in my mouth. What I meant was Pitt to me is similar to Boston in the sense that they are exteremely tough teams.

But while on the topic, tell me what is wrong if the Rangers were to add some toughness? Do you feel that is a bad idea?

I have posted that in other threads so I will ad it here too. A Bissionette, Tootoo, Rypien, Carkner, Bieska, Neil etc. I'll take one of them all day long going down the stretch. It doesn't have to be a super-heavyweight. Just a guy to help out to give the boys some extra room out there. A guy that can impose his will somewhat. I'm not saying give me the Minnesota Fighting Saints. Not saying give me the Broad Street Bullies. Just some help for Brandon Prust whether it be on the defense or as a forward.
Regarding your first few sentences (and in my response to the "O" post, I don't remember talking about Boston), I don't think the Pens go anywhere without their two super star centers like you too had said. They wouldn't be in 4th place if not for Crosby, Malkin, and Letang.

So when you said the Isles steam rolled over the Pens, I thought you meant they beat them on the score board because they were the much tougher team. That's when I said, It would not have happened if the Pens had Crosby + Malkin in the lineup. Especially come playoff time.

With regards to your question, I too stated earlier (I believe on this thread), that I think it's a great idea. I mentioned players like Lucic and Kane, E who are perfect fits on any team. Even Detroit wouldn't mind having either of them and that's an organization with a G.M. who simply does not want his team to fight at all. Holland won't "waste a single draft pick." In his mind, there's no need for a "heavy weight."

The 07' Ducks built their Cup winning team with lots of size, physical play, and intimidation. Burke felt that would be a good strategy in order to beat the Red Wings in the WCF. For that particular year, it worked. The Red Wings had more skill, but they were simply worn out fighting for pucks, and getting leaned on and banged up along the boards every game. This is pretty much how the series went for Detroit (at .15 seconds). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAeOfl0psaM

I don't have a problem with teams building to try and win games by wearing other teams down with hard hitting, fore checking, and getting big bodies in front of the net (not to mention scrambles are hard to win for the opposition when you've got Niedermayer and especially Pronger shooting bee bee's from the point).

I think the Rangers are actually similar (or moving in a similar direction in comparison) to that type of a team strategy. In the 10' draft, they went for a few big kids from Canadian Jr's and Yogan......I didn't have a problem with it.

But to add a goon or two in the new NHL (and at one time I was all for having Boogaard but changed my mind), I just don't see the point.
And really, I hate Cooke and I don't even want this guy in the league. Rupp is okay, and can play some hockey but unless I was building a team like the Ducks formerly had in 06'/07', I wouldn't want him either. Godard to me, is just as useless as any other goon who cannot play hockey.
Sorry if I don't see the excitement in having these types of players who along with the Islanders goons, make both coaches look really bad as far as representing their teams and the NHL.

So my apologies for coming off a bit brash. To some extent I do agree with what you say.

Old
02-18-2011, 12:09 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

With the way this team has been playing, the Boogaard contract really IS becoming that bad.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote