Notices

What would you rather see happen?

Old
02-02-2011, 02:17 AM
Signature
Robin Williams RIP

vCash: 50
What would you rather see happen?

The Flames have now won 5 in a row, but this thread is all about their future.

Right now, looking at this recent stretch of games played and how well the team is working together, would you choose between now and the deadline:

A) The team continues as-is: Don't make any at all or any major moves, and move into the playoffs as 7-8 seed, and hope for a good run?

B) Calgary makes major moves before the deadline, utilizing this hot stretch of play to boost the value of the roster players being dealt, and effectively not make the playoffs, but prepare for a possibly quick rebuild in the offseason?

Would you want the benefit of the playoffs or the benefit of future prospects?

Just looking for opinions - I'm personally leaning towards B, myself. I'd love to make the playoffs and MAYBE have a decent run, but the team needs a rebuild sooner or later - sooner would be best IMO.

Signature is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 03:44 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Conroy View Post
The Flames have now won 5 in a row, but this thread is all about their future.

Right now, looking at this recent stretch of games played and how well the team is working together, would you choose between now and the deadline:

A) The team continues as-is: Don't make any at all or any major moves, and move into the playoffs as 7-8 seed, and hope for a good run?

B) Calgary makes major moves before the deadline, utilizing this hot stretch of play to boost the value of the roster players being dealt, and effectively not make the playoffs, but prepare for a possibly quick rebuild in the offseason?

Would you want the benefit of the playoffs or the benefit of future prospects?

Just looking for opinions - I'm personally leaning towards B, myself. I'd love to make the playoffs and MAYBE have a decent run, but the team needs a rebuild sooner or later - sooner would be best IMO.
A, Easily for me.

The only real value we would lose between now and the draft would be on our UFA's.
And they hold very limited value in the grand-scheme of things in my eyes.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 07:31 AM
CPRSRPUNKS

vCash: 500
Easy question.

A. The flames can still make it and have beaten top teams recently. I have never hoped for failure and never will. The boys aren't even considering giving up with their recent play and if you are a Flames fan, you should feel the same.

CPRSRPUNKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:36 AM
Lunatik*

A) without a doubt...

I say make a couple smaller moves to help us move forward to next year... without crippling us this year...

I would do do the following deals...

Glencross to Philly for Carcillo and a 3rd
Hagman to Washington for Laich

Hagman/Laich is kind of a wash but we can let Laich walk and it frees up $3 million... and the other deal is a slight downgrade on the 3rd line and adds a 3rd round pick

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:36 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
A) without a doubt...

I say make a couple smaller moves to help us move forward to next year... without crippling us this year...

I would do do the following deals...

Glencross to Philly for Carcillo and a 3rd
Hagman to Washington for Laich
Hagman/Laich is kind of a wash but we can let Laich walk and it frees up $3 million... and the other deal is a slight downgrade on the 3rd line and adds a 3rd round pick
No way in hell the caps would do this. Not only is Laich clearly the better player, but washington is in no shape to trade a centre.

A) is clearly what flames fans should want.
imo, glencross has to go as he'll walk for more money next year that we won't want to offer. It's unfortunate, but true.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:01 AM
jtommyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
No way in hell the caps would do this. Not only is Laich clearly the better player, but washington is in no shape to trade a centre.

imo, glencross has to go as he'll walk for more money next year that we won't want to offer. It's unfortunate, but true.
Glencross is worth more on this team through the stretch than he's worth in a trade. Why would you give up his grit, and ability to score clutch goals for a 3rd round pick, when you're battling for a chance at the playoffs?

jtommyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Xelstyle

Definitely A for me.
While it would be great to have a larger number of picks, it would be even better if the management could make better use of it. I can't see why this team not capable of playing the same level of hockey next season, even with a few new faces.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:55 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Not sure exactly how reliable of a source Mark Spector is, but he's saying the Flames are shopping Robyn Regehr.

http://mobile.twitter.com/sportsnetspec

Quote:
Last thought from Big D: Hearing Flames shopping Regehr, and the 1 player people inside Canucks org want GM Gillis to land is Jarkko Ruutu.
Our D would take a big hit with the loss of Regehr, so if he is in fact being shopped, you'd have to think Feaster is looking towards the future moreso than the present.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:14 PM
FlamesFanUK

Im going to say A) too, its been a painful season at times this year but i'm beginning to think things are finally clicking and would hate to see that derailed...with no real guarantee things would improve with new roster members in the off-season and beyond.

FlamesFanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Flames 1st pick

The Flames better keep Regher.

Whether this team is going anywhere depends on the defense and Kipper. The offense is simply not good enough.

For original question

C) Make minor changes for a playoff run.

There is no telling how long will it take for the rebuild and frankly the current group (Feaster and the scouting staff, mainly Button) are not capable of any rebuild.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 02:04 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtommyt View Post
Glencross is worth more on this team through the stretch than he's worth in a trade. Why would you give up his grit, and ability to score clutch goals for a 3rd round pick, when you're battling for a chance at the playoffs?
I agree. It's really a tough decision to make. I don't know which way I'd swing, it really depends on the return Glencross could land.

Old
02-02-2011, 04:46 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post

I think Laich has been playing wing the entire year, after they did not find much success with him at center last year.

I could be wrong though.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:11 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
I think Laich has been playing wing the entire year, after they did not find much success with him at center last year.

I could be wrong though.
Hmmm...I saw him at centre last night. Maybe your right, I haven't seen him a lot this year.

Old
02-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post

I could be wrong though.
yep he has... and his numbers are almost identical to Hagman

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:25 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Conroy View Post
........but prepare for a possibly quick rebuild in the offseason?
With an aging, expensive core, only one draft pick in the top 3 rounds next year, a shallow prospect pool, and more NTC/NMC than any other team in the NHL, one thing that is certain is that Calgary cannot have a quick rebuid.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:09 PM
bigchief12

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
With an aging, expensive core, only one draft pick in the top 3 rounds next year, a shallow prospect pool, and more NTC/NMC than any other team in the NHL, one thing that is certain is that Calgary cannot have a quick rebuid.
You must mean this year? Next year I think we have all our picks.

bigchief12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:12 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
I choose option A with no trades or additions as I'd absolutely love to see Calgary go deep into the playoffs with Daryl Sutter's roster. And of course Jay Feaster would get all the credit for any success, as usual. Coming May or June nobody on HFboards could say that they no longer know what foot tastes like, but for those in denial, I'd refer back to early January posts and count the number of mouth-fulls just to be a dink. Lol

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 06:56 AM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchief12 View Post
You must mean this year? Next year I think we have all our picks.
Yes. Next year for me means this year for you. By next year, I mean the next draft, but you are correct that the draft is this year.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:15 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
yep he has... and his numbers are almost identical to Hagman
Laich is easily the better player of the two and you already got roasted on the trade boards for mentioning it. Try again.

Old
02-03-2011, 02:52 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Darren Dreger:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dregerreport/

Quote:
However, Columbus goaltender Steve Mason (the 2009 NHL rookie of the year), young forward Jakub Voracek (selected seventh overall in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft) and 28-year-old defenceman Rostislav Klesla - the Blue Jackets' first ever draft pick (4th overall in 2000) are believed to be drawing trade interest.

If Jakub Voracek is available, I wouldn't mind the Flames taking a run at him. I wonder what it would take from the Flames to acquire him?

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote