HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Carolina - San Jose

Old
02-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Carolina - San Jose

I posted this on the main board but haven't gotten to much in terms of replies, so I thought i'd ask Shark fans and get a more personal response from the fan base rather than the average fan commenting.

Here is the proposal. (If you's do not like fans posting proposals on your board, I understand if you get rid of it.) I just wanted to get more of a feel from the SJ fanbase in regards to the potential deal.

Pitkanen + 2012 1st rd pick (conditional upon Pitkanen re-signing) for Setoguchi + Petrecki.

- If Pitkanen re-signs before the draft (June 24-25th), SJ doesn't get the 2012 1st round pick and it then turns to a 2nd round pick (2011 or 2012, SJ's choice). If SJ signs Pitkanen at any time after the draft, they would then get Carolina's 2012 2nd rd pick.

- If SJ does not sign Pitkanen at all - being before the draft, before or after July 1st, etc.. they then receive Carolina's 2012 1st rd pick.

or...

Corvo + 2011 1st rd pick for Setoguchi + Petrecki.

Yes? No? Close or completely off the rails here?

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:13 PM
AnderFunk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Anton View Post
Pitkanen + 2012 1st rd pick (conditional upon Pitkanen re-signing) for Setoguchi + Petrecki.

- If Pitkanen re-signs before the draft (June 24-25th), SJ doesn't get the 2012 1st round pick and it then turns to a 2nd round pick (2011 or 2012, SJ's choice). If SJ signs Pitkanen at any time after the draft, they would then get Carolina's 2012 2nd rd pick.

- If SJ does not sign Pitkanen at all - being before the draft, before or after July 1st, etc.. they then receive Carolina's 2012 1st rd pick.
Seems like even value to me. I would do that trade in a heartbeat if the Sharks could find a way to do that and still be under the cap. You guys might also have to take on Huskins or Wallin as part of the deal to help us stay under the cap. Wallin has a NTC but if he would waive it anywhere it would be to go to Carolina.

How about...

Setoguchi, Huskins/Wallin, Petrecki

for

Pitkanen, Conditional 1st

AnderFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Jesus Toews*

It's probably fair value but I wouldn't do it from a Sharks perspective just because IMO even the addition of Pitkanen won't be enough to put the Sharks over the top this season and it's better to be looking for a long-term solution. Tbh, I think the Canes should keep Pitkanen and go for it this year (they could upset the Bolts easily) and try to re-sign him in the offseason.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:36 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

I don't think the Sharks trade Setoguchi for a pure rental. I also don't think the Sharks take back a first round pick if Pitkanen doesn't sign in such a situation.

I think the deal is more like:

Cap dump + 1st for Pitkanen (This makes sense because just about every deadline deal for a rental elite player involves a 1st going back to the team dealing away the rental)

Maybe Petrecki + Cap Dump for Pitkanen plus conditional pick (not 1st rounder), but I don't think the Sharks org trades Petrecki without a non-rental coming back.

I know you are going to laugh, but if you want Seto, give us Jamie McBain. Seto for McBain, straight up, or maybe with a draft pick going to whoever thinks they are getting slighted, probably the Canes demanding a draft pick.

A deal the Sharks do in a heartbeat (IMHO) is Seto, Petrecki, Cap Dump, + 2012 1st (+ maybe another pick if needed) for Pitkanen and McBain. I know the Canes wouldn't do it though, but it would help the Sharks now (Boyle, Pitkanen, McBain, Vlasic, Demers, Huskins/Murray) and for the future (McBain at the very least with Boyle, Vlasic, Demers, Braun).

Last edited by ChompChomp: 02-02-2011 at 12:48 PM.
ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Legion
Lord of Winterfell

I say no - not because I don't like the value of the trade, but resigning Setoguchi will be affordable in the current state of things especially considering the need for a long term solution at the blueline. If Seto was having a great year as a 1.8mil RFA, this might be an easier decision - but it's incredible depth knowing his potential, how young he still is, and that as a RFA we still have the upper hand come end of the year with his next salary. It would also be easier if the Sharks were back at the top of the west, but they're not, and with the lower totals from the top line we can't afford to swing and miss on this with Pitkanen not signing a long term contract like Campbell - cap space is an issue with us on this too.

Plus it's two of our only first rounders both going in a trade - leaving basically Couture and Coyle our only blue chip draft picks from the past couple years. Petrecki's value is low right now, and so is Seto's. Not the ideal time to make that push for a dman, as much as I like Pitkanen and I do.

We have salary coming off the books at the end of the year. DW will need to make a splash in FA, and consider Braun next year. It'll be better times in 11-12, and last night's game is evidence that we all don't know what to expect out of this team this year. I would rather have a crack at signing Joni in the offseason. Not a bad proposal.

Cap dump + a pick for Joni, and I'm interested though.

Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Jesus Toews*

McBain is the Canes' only real building block on the blueline going forward whereas they have the likes of Skinner, Boychuk and Dalpe up front. Doubt they trade him for Seto.

Old
02-02-2011, 12:52 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstyles View Post
McBain is the Canes' only real building block on the blueline going forward whereas they have the likes of Skinner, Boychuk and Dalpe up front. Doubt they trade him for Seto.
As far as the Canes are concerned, I'm sure you'll agree that I doubt DW trades Seto for anything less than McBain. Certainly not trading Seto in a deal that involves only rentals.

Hence to the OP, Cap dump + 1st for Pitkanen is the only likely deal with a pick going to the Canes, not from them.

Old
02-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
As far as the Canes are concerned, I'm sure you'll agree that I doubt DW trades Seto for anything less than McBain. Certainly not trading Seto in a deal that involves only rentals.

Hence to the OP, Cap dump + 1st for Pitkanen is the only likely deal with a pick going to the Canes, not from them.
Absolutely. It's just that the Canes are a team without many d-men in the pipeline (going back to Rutherford's long-standing policy of only drafting forwards) and therefore not the best trading partner if you're looking to flip Seto for a young d-man.

Old
02-02-2011, 02:20 PM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

I'd do a trade for Tim Gleason...

Seto and a second for Gleason and a first?

USF Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Franchise13

Decent enough value for the first deal. I'd do that easily on the guarantee of a re sign.

I hope to never see Corvo in a Sharks jersey. Don't care how good of a year he's having.

Franchise13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post

That's not fair value at all.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 02:59 PM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

I don't think the sharks would have a problem if Pitkanen resigned prior to the deal, which would help both teams. The sharks would be assured of a very good defenseman for years, and the Canes wouldn't have to give up their 1st round pick. Setoguchi and petrecki are valuable pieces, but defensemen of Pitkanen's caliber don't just grow on trees.

SnarkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 03:21 PM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
That's not fair value at all.
I"m thourghly creeped out my your Chang avi. even when I move from side to side or up and down his eyes follow my every move. Very creepy indeed.

try it. stare at your computer and just move your body while maintaining eye contact with the Chang Avi.

FREAKY DEAKY!!!

HOOCH2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 03:34 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post

Interesting that you mentioned Gleason. I heard that something involving Gleason and McGinn was in the works.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 03:40 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Interesting that you mentioned Gleason. I heard that something involving Gleason and McGinn was in the works.
Not sure how much sense it makes for the Sharks, but if the deal is McGinn + cap dump + 3rd/4th round pick for Gleason, that could work. I say I don't know how much it makes sense because I think of Gleason as a shutdown dman, and as many have pointed out here, the last thing we need is another shutdown dman. But Gleason's mobility would be worth such deal I outlined, IMHO.

Old
02-02-2011, 04:06 PM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

Quote:
where did you hear that?

USF Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Trojan35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCH2173 View Post
I"m thourghly creeped out my your Chang avi. even when I move from side to side or up and down his eyes follow my every move. Very creepy indeed.

try it. stare at your computer and just move your body while maintaining eye contact with the Chang Avi.

FREAKY DEAKY!!!
If you don't want to see avatars, you might want to Chang your user settings.

So clever.

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:35 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

Quote:
Was as in the talks are dead, or was as in that was the last you heard?

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:03 PM
wtfisthis

I'd do the Pitkanen deal but hell no to the Corvo deal. Petrecki doesn't seem like he's developing all that well and I'm afraid he might be a bust and Setoguchi might never reach his 65 point season again.

wtfisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Kitten Mittons

Gleason is a great dman. If the deal is around McGinn, you make that deal 10 out of 10 times.

McGinn + Huskins for Gleason. Do it. DO IT.

Old
02-02-2011, 05:11 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Gleason is a great dman. If the deal is around McGinn, you make that deal 10 out of 10 times.

McGinn + Huskins for Gleason. Do it. DO IT.
He would be an excellent partner for Boyle, ideal in fact.

However pairing him with Vlasic would create a totally offensively inept pairing. Pairing him with Demers leaves Vlasic on the 3rd pairing with Wallin or Huskins...

I dunno, i'm ok with the general idea, but it seems like it needs to be coupled with something else. I guess you could do a:

Boyle - Gleason
Murray - Demers
Vlasic - Braun

grouping if you could dump Huskins and Wallin, but it really then still feels like we need another d-man.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Kitten Mittons

He is not ideal but if it only takes McGinn, then you go for it.

Old
02-02-2011, 05:17 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
He would be an excellent partner for Boyle, ideal in fact.

However pairing him with Vlasic would create a totally offensively inept pairing. Pairing him with Demers leaves Vlasic on the 3rd pairing with Wallin or Huskins...

I dunno, i'm ok with the general idea, but it seems like it needs to be coupled with something else. I guess you could do a:

Boyle - Gleason
Murray - Demers
Vlasic - Braun

grouping if you could dump Huskins and Wallin, but it really then still feels like we need another d-man.
You could pair a move for Gleason with what should be a relatively cheap acquisition in Andy Greene from NJ Devils, a PMD rental.

Boyle-Gleason (solid top pairing)
Greene-Vlasic (Mobile PMD + shutdown defensive dman)
Demers-Murray (offensive d man + physical defensive dman)

Huskins would be in one of the two deals, Wallin would be waived, nobody claims, and he goes to the A until April when he's back for the playoffs as 7/8 depth guy.

The only question is if you could make this work cap wise, hope is waiving Wallin would free up that space along with McGinn and Huskins being dealt. But just as Tim Gleason could be the ideal dman who might be available to pair up with Boyle, Andy Greene IMHO is the ideal partner of Vlasic who is definitely available.

Last edited by ChompChomp: 02-02-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old
02-02-2011, 05:28 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
He is not ideal but if it only takes McGinn, then you go for it.
He's pretty ideal, if your simply talking about a Boyle partner. He's a rock defensively, very mobile, and is big and strong enough to not get pushed around at all.

A partner for Boyle really isn't our biggest issue though.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 06:47 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

No dice unless Wally goes back.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote