HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

International Football (Soccer)

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
If anyone wants, I can describe/preview matches for the weekend/midweek along with giving a bit of commentary on team styles if some are trying to get into the sport.

Lyon and Reals last ten minutes has been crazy. Black panther scored

Old
02-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Foy

vCash: 500
Good night for Chelsea. Been a while since I could say that about on-the pitch stuff.

Old
02-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Considering their budget is less than Torres' salary, it's an expected if not spectacular result.

Old
02-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Where are some of the best sites? For example, someone will offhandedly mention a game involving Chelsea or Liverpool or an Arsenal, and I'm not clear on where to look... I'll wander around an EPL site, then a UEFA Champions site... where are some of the better sites for scoreboards listing the day's major games across leagues and tourneys? People seem to steer clear of Soccernet; where do people go instead?

It's more difficult than it seems it should be to find the day's major matchups. I'm just looking for a scoreboard for upcoming games, at a base level.

Old
02-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

uh, soccernet is pretty easy.

I just use that for the most part. It lists by league and everything.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/scores?league=all&cc=5901

Tomorrow's big matches are Inter/Bayern Munich (last years final rematch) and Marseille and Man United

You've also got Porto and Sevilla in UEFA Cup. One of the first two will be on FSC (with the second delayed after it) and the UEFA probably will be on GOL Tv.

Arsenal v Stoke City could be on ESPN 2 tomorrow, but I'm not sure.

Old
02-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Soccernet is trash for stories (they make most blogs look like legitimate news sources) but for listing of the matches, it's pretty easy.

Old
02-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Considering their budget is less than Torres' salary, it's an expected if not spectacular result.
most of the teams we play have a budget lower than Torres' salary. That hasn't really helped much. It wasn't just the CL game, it was also the blackpool result that helped us.

The team has been massively underachieving since November. In fact, Chelsea's season has pretty much mirrored the Caps, without the carrot of "they're saving it for the playoffs" dangling in front of the poor performance. The other difference is that Chelsea won the double last year, so it's hard to get too upset at the guys that pulled that off.

Old
02-23-2011, 07:34 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
most of the teams we play have a budget lower than Torres' salary. That hasn't really helped much. It wasn't just the CL game, it was also the blackpool result that helped us.

The team has been massively underachieving since November. In fact, Chelsea's season has pretty much mirrored the Caps, without the carrot of "they're saving it for the playoffs" dangling in front of the poor performance. The other difference is that Chelsea won the double last year, so it's hard to get too upset at the guys that pulled that off.
I don't think you mirror the Caps. Maybe in the fact that the manager has square pegs to put in round holes and is getting lambasted for it. I do think Carlo's a better manager than Bruce is comparably, though I think both struggle in the talent evaluation section.

But, your squad isn't performing because they don't care. They're not performing because they're old and on the downside of much of their careers. Much of your starting roster is in their early 30s. That's dinosaurs for the amount of football they're being expected to play. Throw in injuries, and it's no surprise that you're having some issues winning matches consistently. There are weeks where they just don't have enough left in the tank from playing 70 or 80 in an international friendly and then 90 in the EPL.

Chelski have a tall task ahead in replacing a lot of their squad. Terry, Drogba, Lampard, Anelka, Malouda, Cech and others all might have to be replaced sooner or later.

Torres and Luiz are a start in bringing in some younger players, but they still have a large task ahead.

Old
02-23-2011, 09:06 AM
Foy

I think Torres was the shiny toy they wanted, but I think in the long run Luiz is going to be the far superior signing of the two. Nothing against Torres, but that was a ton of money.

Agreed about them being old. I was talking more about results. Everyone was ready to hand Chelsea the crown at the end of October, just like the Caps were first in the NHL. Then a few injuries hit both squads and the results just weren't there.

Agreed that the causes are different, but the results were the same, at pretty much the same point in the season.

If you look at younger players that are around to transition Chelsea to the future, they pretty much have Bruma, Ivanovic, Luiz in back, Mikel and Ramirez in the middle, and maybe McEachren down the line, provided he pans out, and Torres, Sturridge, Kalu up front. That's a decent fundation to builf off of, with the oldest person in that group being Ivanovic who turned 27 yesterday (and may be our best player so far this season, which is a scary thought).

I think the biggest problem Chelsea has faced this year is that Essien has really, really struggled. He was supposed to really help Lampard in the midfield and he hasn't done squat coming back from injury. It's almost like he got old overnight being out that year. Essien hasn't scored a goal with his foot all season, I think he has 3 headers, and none since November?

As far as talent evaluation, Carlo isn't too involved with the transfer stuff, he's more involved with naming the team, and there really isn't a lot of depth on the team, and as a result there isn't a lot of options. There is basically the first team, and a bunch of kids. Injuries to Lampard, Benayoun, Drogba, Alex, Terry, etc. have pretty much taken the choices out of his hands as to who to play. When there isn't really a lot of playing options, it can make the team less competitive.

Old
02-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
I just use that for the most part. It lists by league and everything.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/scores?league=all&cc=5901
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for the other day.

Old
02-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

see, in October, most football viewers realized that they were going against the who's who of relegation clubs.

It's a long season.

I do think they could be solid for the rest of the run, and they have talent, but they do need to replace much of their starting lineup.

Old
02-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Millhaus

I don't know if they need to replace a lot of starters but they need to increase the quality of some of their squad players so they can do a more adequate job of filling in for them, especially in the midfield since they have already added Torres and Luiz to fill out the forwards and defenders.

And yes you can't expect the old guard to play as many games as they used to be able to or stay as healthy even with a lighter work load as at this point they need them to be.

Old
02-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Foy

Quote:
see, in October, most football viewers realized that they were going against the who's who of relegation clubs.

It's a long season.

I do think they could be solid for the rest of the run, and they have talent, but they do need to replace much of their starting lineup.
It wasn't as easy a stretch to start the year as people claim. There was still the 3-0 win against Arsenal, 1-2 at Blackburn, those are quality wins.

Old
02-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
It wasn't as easy a stretch to start the year as people claim. There was still the 3-0 win against Arsenal, 1-2 at Blackburn, those are quality wins.
Ha, ok.

You must not understand what I meant.

Other than the first match against United, which is basically a joke of a match, they played West Brom, Wigan, Stoke (at home), West Ham, MSK Zillina, Blackpool, Newcastle (which they lost), and then finally City (which they lost)

That's basically a preseason. WBA, Wigan, Stoke, West Ham, Blackpool and Newcastle.

They had 2 months of park league matches before they had any difficult match.

Compare that with Liverpool (who had a new manager and Mascherano still hanging over their heads) Arsenal, City (away), WBA (easy), Birmingham (away, which is a difficult match), United, and then Sunderland.

The comparative difficulty of schedules is much of it. Chelsea were playing into form, and as such had cupcakes to do it with.

It's no the answer for everything, but it certainly helped out.

Old
02-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soc...=soccerinsider

weekend listings for everyone

Old
02-25-2011, 09:14 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Quote:
Sunday
Carling Cup final, Arsenal-Birmingham 11 a.m. FSC
Damn. I was hoping the Carling Cup final would be on a channel that I get. I guess it's crappy internet stream for me.

Old
02-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Fox Soccer is on most cable packages now.

No Cesc for the finals. Might be a bit more interesting.

Old
03-01-2011, 10:06 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Tough loss for the Gunners, but it might end up hurting Liverpool even more. With Birmingham winning, that leaves one fewer Europa league spot up for grabs. Liverpool better hope both teams in the FA Cup final are from the top 4 to open up a second spot, or they might get shut out of European competition altogether.

Old
03-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Millhaus

Well Chelski and Spuds are already out of the cup and if Arsenal make it past Orient then they are drawn against United so one of them will be out after that so the odds of an all top 4 FA Cup Final are getting lower and lower.

Old
03-01-2011, 10:23 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Well Chelski and Spuds are already out of the cup and if Arsenal make it past Orient then they are drawn against United so one of them will be out after that so the odds of an all top 4 FA Cup Final are getting lower and lower.
Yup. The only other options are for Liverpool to win the Europa League this season, or for the EPL to get an extra fair play spot and for Liverpool to somehow be the top fair play team (they're currently 11th in the EPL, and 7th amongst teams not currently in a European competition spot).

I think those are the only options, at least.

EDIT: After looking around for the current UEFA country fair play standings, this is the most recent I could find: http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/...7_DOWNLOAD.pdf

The top three countries (currently Norway, England, and Sweden) each get an extra Europa League spot, which goes to the highest ranked team in the domestic fair play table that isn't already qualified for European competition (currently Fulham).

Last edited by QuadrupleDeke: 03-01-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old
03-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
Yup. The only other options are for Liverpool to win the Europa League this season, or for the EPL to get an extra fair play spot and for Liverpool to somehow be the top fair play team (they're currently 11th in the EPL, and 7th amongst teams not currently in a European competition spot).

I think those are the only options, at least.

EDIT: After looking around for the current UEFA country fair play standings, this is the most recent I could find: http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/...7_DOWNLOAD.pdf

The top three countries (currently Norway, England, and Sweden) each get an extra Europa League spot, which goes to the highest ranked team in the domestic fair play table that isn't already qualified for European competition (currently Fulham).
Not making the Europa isn't the end of the world, but it would be disappointing.

Winning the competition is the best chance, but they've got some tough fixtures coming up without a full squad.

Big match today. Man. Chelsea - United.

Old
03-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Millhaus

Drogba starting on the bench again. I can't understand why Ancelotti isn't trying to get him and Torres on the field together but whatever.

Old
03-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Drogba starting on the bench again. I can't understand why Ancelotti isn't trying to get him and Torres on the field together but whatever.
because drogba is still struggling with malaria. He's in horrible form, and torres has looked really good despite not actually scoring. And Anelka is a much better partner for either of them, his best asset is a stupid little diagonal run that makes space for his partner. Works all the time.

Old
03-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
because drogba is still struggling with malaria. He's in horrible form, and torres has looked really good despite not actually scoring. And Anelka is a much better partner for either of them, his best asset is a stupid little diagonal run that makes space for his partner. Works all the time.
He played 120 minutes against Everton. How under the weather could he be? And Torres' off the ball movement is one of the things that sets him apart as a great striker.

And that goal was more than deserved as Chelski looks awful.

Old
03-01-2011, 02:22 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

via ESPN Gamecast:

Quote:
Stat: That was the first goal that Wayne Rooney has scored from outside the box in the Premier League since Feb 2008 v Newcastle.
Holy Crap.

Closed Thread