HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Football (Soccer)

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2011, 02:49 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Interesting, Andy Carroll saying he was forced to leave Newcastle. Newcastle have responded and said he signed a deal in Oct and asked for a new deal in January.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...stle-liverpool

Interesting drama...

Old
02-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Not that interesting at all. He's a local boy who loved that club.

he's happy to be here in liverpool.

Ashley's going to pocket that cash and run with it. Sad for them.

Old
02-01-2011, 02:52 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Yeah, there needs to be a soccer thread or something. Ugh.

Old
02-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Heh, a bit much I'm sure.

Old
02-01-2011, 02:56 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Go Gunners!

2nd place AND fiscally responsible.

Old
02-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
You still don't get it, at all. This isn't just about Torres' Champions League aspirations. It's about the corner he painted the club into. They paid about 10 million too much for Carroll because they were desperate. He forced Liverpool to sell him at short notice, and forced them to sell him to Chelsea, strengthening a competitor in the Premier League. Again, if he had put in the request at the beginning of the window, it's a whole different ballgame. They probably could have gotten the Milan clubs, City, and likely Barca involved. They would have gotten a better price, and had plenty of time to spend the profits more diligently. Instead of just Suarez and Carroll as additions, they might have been able to add a winger, along with someone in the midfield and back line.
I get it, I guess I just think Liverpool knew it was coming and should have gotten in front of it all. If you want to make sure he doesn't end up at another EPL club then get in front of it and move him somewhere else as with the buyout clause being 50 that was always going to be what the price was going to be.

He still likely would have ended up at Chelski IMO as Barca couldn't afford that, Milan don't need a striker after adding Cassano, yes Madrid needed one but was an Athletico boy going to go to Madrid?, Inter would likely have been in for him and I guess could have sold Milito to Madrid to open up a space and help fund the deal, he had previously said he didn't want to go to City but with them currently in a CL spot maybe that would have changed but I doubt it.

I guess it would have come down to Chelski or Inter. As a Liverpool fan obviously you'd rather he ply his trade in Serie A and IMO they should have driven that not let Torres and his advisors drive things.

Old
02-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Yeah, there needs to be a soccer thread or something. Ugh.
Well it isn't stereo talk but we try...

Old
02-01-2011, 03:01 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

No one saw this coming from Torres. He reiterated his commitment to the club this season. You can't blame the club when the player suddenly does a 180.

Old
02-01-2011, 03:06 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Well it isn't stereo talk but we try...
Ive just never been able to get into the EPL or any of the Euro leagues...or just soccer in general. I played as a kid...had one good season when I was like 13 or something. 20+ goals in my rec league. But now? Nah. Can hang with it.

If I was in Europe...maybe. But here...and the amount of nerdiness that goes into it here by some. No way.

Old
02-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
No one saw this coming from Torres. He reiterated his commitment to the club this season. You can't blame the club when the player suddenly does a 180.
No one? Nobody saw this as Torres' last season as a Red and thought it might be a good idea to make sure he ended up out of the EPL? The whole world knew this year was the end of the Torres era but nobody thought he might want to leave half a season early? That seems a little head in the sandish IMO.

Old
02-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Ive just never been able to get into the EPL or any of the Euro leagues...or just soccer in general. I played as a kid...had one good season when I was like 13 or something. 20+ goals in my rec league. But now? Nah. Can hang with it.

If I was in Europe...maybe. But here...and the amount of nerdiness that goes into it here by some. No way.
I have plenty of friends who feel the same way about hockey as you do about soccer. Personally I think the sports are very similar and for me at least I think a lot of the reasons I like one are the same reasons I like the other.

And now that the Caps are so inept offensively I see about the same amount of goals in each...

Old
02-01-2011, 03:21 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
I have plenty of friends who feel the same way about hockey as you do about soccer. Personally I think the sports are very similar and for me at least I think a lot of the reasons I like one are the same reasons I like the other.

And now that the Caps are so inept offensively I see about the same amount of goals in each...
Well played.

I'll admit I watch the matches that might be on early Saturday mornings on ESPN or whatever...but keeping up with all the transfer rules and all the different teams, Ive just never invested the time in it that I have with hockey. Ill let the Europeans have soccer.

But I know several nerds here in the office that claim to live and breath the EPL. Its a bit overboard and really makes me not want to care at all about it. In a sense very similar to pucksandbooks and the like when it comes to hockey.

Old
02-01-2011, 03:50 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Well played.

I'll admit I watch the matches that might be on early Saturday mornings on ESPN or whatever...but keeping up with all the transfer rules and all the different teams, Ive just never invested the time in it that I have with hockey. Ill let the Europeans have soccer.

But I know several nerds here in the office that claim to live and breath the EPL. Its a bit overboard and really makes me not want to care at all about it. In a sense very similar to pucksandbooks and the like when it comes to hockey.
There's a very simple (and addictive) way to get up to speed on all that, and get into EPL/European soccer:

http://www.footballmanager.com/

Old
02-01-2011, 03:52 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
No one? Nobody saw this as Torres' last season as a Red and thought it might be a good idea to make sure he ended up out of the EPL? The whole world knew this year was the end of the Torres era but nobody thought he might want to leave half a season early? That seems a little head in the sandish IMO.
Nope, no one saw it. Many assumed that with new ownership in place that was willing to spend, the club would move forward competitively, and Torres, Reina, et al. would help in the climb towards the top of the table.

Old
02-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I think picking a club gets people into it more. Just watching to watch is harder to get into. Rules for transfers are simple. Probably easier than the CBA and all the waiver, RFA, and all the rest

Old
02-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I thought summer he was gone without the CL. Most the same. 3 days to go in the window and to Chelsea? Uh no

Old
02-01-2011, 04:37 PM
JBurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I thought summer he was gone without the CL. Most the same. 3 days to go in the window and to Chelsea? Uh no
I figured if the ownership showed some commitment to bringing in players (ala Suarez in this window) that it would encourage him to stay.

We definitely need an EPL/Euro Soccer thread for this board though.

Old
02-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
There's a very simple (and addictive) way to get up to speed on all that, and get into EPL/European soccer:

http://www.footballmanager.com/
That is true, I play that game also and have been since around '97.

Old
02-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Nope, no one saw it. Many assumed that with new ownership in place that was willing to spend, the club would move forward competitively, and Torres, Reina, et al. would help in the climb towards the top of the table.
So you honestly felt that even without a top 4 finish that if the new owners showed a serious commitment he would stay?

Well if that is the case then no wonder you are so upset.

Outside of a major long term injury that would keep anyone from wanting him until he proved himself healthy and back to at least close to his best there was absolutely no way I thought he would stay without a top 4 finish. Given that a top 4 finish was at this point looking at best very remote him leaving early if a top club stumped up to pay the full buyout fee was always something I thought was likely. If that team was City instead of Chelski I think he would have passed simply because Chelski are a much more proven club but any of the other really big clubs in Europe could have had him outside of Madrid IMO.

Old
02-01-2011, 06:15 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Everything he said indicated he would stay. Even if he didn't, as I said before, there's a world of difference between wanting to leave in the summer, and throwing it out there just before the end of the transfer window. He left the team with no Europa League-eligible strikers outside of N'Gog.

Again, the timing and circumstance with which he did it have everything to do with how ****** it was.

Old
02-01-2011, 07:07 PM
JBurd

Quote:
Everything he said indicated he would stay. Even if he didn't, as I said before, there's a world of difference between wanting to leave in the summer, and throwing it out there just before the end of the transfer window. He left the team with no Europa League-eligible strikers outside of N'Gog.

Again, the timing and circumstance with which he did it have everything to do with how ****** it was.
At the time we had no other EL eligible strikers, but Carroll will be able to play in that competition, right? Suarez is out because Ajax didn't reach the knockout stages of the CL, but I think Carroll should be good to go.

Old
02-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I thought with a good spending window in winter and say, being right in the top 5 or 6 with hope and a bit more spending come summer, he might have wanted to stay. That was prior to his move mind you, when we realized he's judas.

FSG are going to spend. They have ambition. They might not spend like City or throw money around like Roman, but they aren't cheap and we have no debt

Old
02-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I thought with a good spending window in winter and say, being right in the top 5 or 6 with hope and a bit more spending come summer, he might have wanted to stay. That was prior to his move mind you, when we realized he's judas.

FSG are going to spend. They have ambition. They might not spend like City or throw money around like Roman, but they aren't cheap and we have no debt
He was never staying past this summer without a top 4 finish this year. Players of his level don't spend 2 years in a row out of the CL unless they are playing for their only club. And all of you know that...

The guy came for 20, left for 50 and over his 3 1/2 years at Anfield scored 65 goals. El Nino is no Judas. He is a player who deserves to be playing CL football every year and who's ambition had not been matched by his club over recent seasons. There isn't another player out there who wouldn't have done the same thing if a club like Chelsea came calling and was willing to pay the buyout.

If Chelsea had only been willing to pay say 30 and Torres forced his way out anyway then I would understand being so upset but the buyout number was put there for a reason.

Old
02-02-2011, 02:42 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurd View Post
At the time we had no other EL eligible strikers, but Carroll will be able to play in that competition, right? Suarez is out because Ajax didn't reach the knockout stages of the CL, but I think Carroll should be good to go.
Right. That's what I meant. Carroll was as last-minute as you can get.

Old
02-02-2011, 02:45 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
He was never staying past this summer without a top 4 finish this year. Players of his level don't spend 2 years in a row out of the CL unless they are playing for their only club. And all of you know that...

The guy came for 20, left for 50 and over his 3 1/2 years at Anfield scored 65 goals. El Nino is no Judas. He is a player who deserves to be playing CL football every year and who's ambition had not been matched by his club over recent seasons. There isn't another player out there who wouldn't have done the same thing if a club like Chelsea came calling and was willing to pay the buyout.

If Chelsea had only been willing to pay say 30 and Torres forced his way out anyway then I would understand being so upset but the buyout number was put there for a reason.
There was no buyout. It would have gone into effect after this season if they don't make the Champions League. And again, FSG would have matched his ambition. He didn't give them a chance.

And I don't buy that he "deserves to be playing CL football". He deserves to honor his contract.

Closed Thread