HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

International Football (Soccer)

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Millhaus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
There was no buyout. It would have gone into effect after this season if they don't make the Champions League. And again, FSG would have matched his ambition. He didn't give them a chance.

And I don't buy that he "deserves to be playing CL football". He deserves to honor his contract.
Would have? How long should he have given them? They weren't going to be playing CL football next year so that would be 2 in row. So 1 more year after that? 2? Forever...?

And that honor your contract stuff is simply naive. If your club doesn't want you they are going to force you out the same way players who want to move force their way out. Liverpool didn't have to sell Torres. He had a contract and they could have made him stay. Carroll didn't want to leave but Newcastle forced him out. He could have refused to sign with Liverpool though.

There is a real world and an idealistic fantasy world. There are some Liverpool supporters living in the latter as far as Torres is concerned yet have no problem with what Newcastle did to Carroll...

Old
02-02-2011, 10:56 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

How long should he have given them? How about any time at all? He didn't even give them a full transfer window.

I'm not being naive at all. The guy had committed to Liverpool repeatedly through tough, tough times. Then he pulls a complete 180, and hangs the club out to dry.

Again, for the 15th time, if he puts in the transfer request at the beginning of the window, it's not nearly that big of a deal. I don't know why you can't see that.

And if I were a Newcastle fan, I'd be livid with Ashley.

Old
02-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
How long should he have given them? How about any time at all? He didn't even give them a full transfer window.

I'm not being naive at all. The guy had committed to Liverpool repeatedly through tough, tough times. Then he pulls a complete 180, and hangs the club out to dry.

Again, for the 15th time, if he puts in the transfer request at the beginning of the window, it's not nearly that big of a deal. I don't know why you can't see that.

And if I were a Newcastle fan, I'd be livid with Ashley.
Any time at all? They have owned the club for months. Players get lined up to move before the next transfer window all the time. Who did Liverpool have lined up to show their ambition? Nobody. Weaknesses on that squad are obvious but did they have even 1 outside midfielder, much less the 2 they need, lined up? How about a ball playing central midfielder? How about a left back? Even getting Suarez took too long IMO. That should have been signed sealed and delivered much earlier with everyone just waiting for Jan. 1 to come so he could actually move.

Their big move pre Suarez was sacking Hodgson and bringing in soon to be 60 year old Kenny Dalglish who last managed a team in 2000. I like Dalglish but he isn't a man for the future. I don't blame Torres for not seeing the ambition because I didn't see it either.

--EDIT--

The mere fact that he was talking about leaving last summer and needed a buyout clause inserted in his contract to even stay this long shows he wasn't that committed.

Old
02-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Well, no one who is likely to contribute a great deal seems willing to start one, so I'll slap a football OT thread together. I'd held off since I'll be lurking mostly, if not exclusively. Maybe this conversation will end up being good material for a merge.

Old
Drake1588
UNATCO

International Football (Soccer)

Here's an all-purpose Caps board thread for football discussion, be it English Premier League (UK), La Liga (Spain), Serie A (Italy), Eredivisie (Netherlands), Bundesliga (Germany), Major League Soccer (MLS), Copa do Brasil, Primera (Argentina), UEFA Champions League, Confed Cup, Copa America, World Cup, you name it.

Last edited by Drake1588: 02-02-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Don't start on King Kenny.

He's 59, and that's not all that old in manager terms. Whiskey Nose is 69.

It's assistant manager that's probably more important.

Old
02-02-2011, 12:09 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Do people want the other posts moved? Only real downside is Drake's post wouldn't be the threadstarter...it would make things a little weird continuity wise.

02-02-2011, 12:12 PM
piercehannigan

Not sure how well this thread will do. I only really pay attention to the World Cup. I watch EPL and Champions League when it's on but that's about it.

Old
02-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Do people want the other posts moved? Only real downside is Drake's post wouldn't be the threadstarter...it would make things a little weird continuity wise.
I certainly don't mind the continuity break. I'm not going to be doing heavy lifting in the discussion anyway, and for that reason, didn't move quickly to get a thread going. It's taken up a lot of the OT thread for a few days, though, and football never really goes away as a topic of interest.

Old
02-02-2011, 12:48 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Go Arsenal!

The only English side alive in all four competitions.

Old
02-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Millhaus

Dalglish was a fine manager and I'm sure he will help them out now but there is a reason he hasn't managed a club since Celtic in 2000, his heart isn't in it anymore. He rode to the rescue of his beloved Liverpool but he isn't a long term option and Torres knew that just as well as the rest of us do.

Old
02-02-2011, 01:12 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

It's done. Jeebus that was a lot.

Old
02-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Don't start on King Kenny.

He's 59, and that's not all that old in manager terms. Whiskey Nose is 69.

It's assistant manager that's probably more important.
Moving to the new international football thread. Thanks Drake

Old
02-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
It's done. Jeebus that was a lot.
Woohoo! If NBTW doesn't mind, you can toss the thread intro text from post #105 into the original post, but people no doubt get the gist of the thread and its purpose either way.

Old
02-02-2011, 03:57 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I give up on the Torres debate. It's not going anywhere.

Nice start for Suarez.

Old
02-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
I give up on the Torres debate. It's not going anywhere.

Nice start for Suarez.
Did anyone watch that game? How did Liverpool lineup?

In the starting lineup I see 3 center backs, 2 right backs, 1 left back, 3 central midfielders, and Kuyt. So how did Dalglish make that work?

Old
02-02-2011, 05:55 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Did anyone watch that game? How did Liverpool lineup?

In the starting lineup I see 3 center backs, 2 right backs, 1 left back, 3 central midfielders, and Kuyt. So how did Dalglish make that work?
------------Reina
----Skrtel-Kyrgiakos-Agger
Kelly-------------------Johnson
--------Lucas-Aurelio
---Gerrard---------Miereles
------------Kuyt

That was (pretty much) the formation, though Lucas, Aurelio, Gerrard, and Miereles were very fluid on the attack. They basically played a pass and move all night, with Kuyt holding the ball up, and Kelly, Johnson, and (at times) Agger bombing forward from the back. Really, really good display. Begovic made a couple of excellent saves to keep the score closer than it really was.

Old
02-02-2011, 06:07 PM
pgreene

Quote:
------------Reina
----Skrtel-Kyrgiakos-Agger
Kelly-------------------Johnson
--------Lucas-Aurelio
---Gerrard---------Miereles
------------Kuyt

That was (pretty much) the formation, though Lucas, Aurelio, Gerrard, and Miereles were very fluid on the attack. They basically played a pass and move all night, with Kuyt holding the ball up, and Kelly, Johnson, and (at times) Agger bombing forward from the back. Really, really good display. Begovic made a couple of excellent saves to keep the score closer than it really was.
suarez came on as a sub?

good to see him score one. i'll be very interested to see if liverpool can turn it around. i hope so. i'm sick of the usual suspects at the top.

Old
02-02-2011, 06:11 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
suarez came on as a sub?

good to see him score one. i'll be very interested to see if liverpool can turn it around. i hope so. i'm sick of the usual suspects at the top.
Suarez came on for Miereles and Shelvey for Aurelio

Old
02-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Millhaus

Mascherano backing Torres in the press:

Quote:
"It is sad that the press and the club try to convince people that it is all the player's fault when the reality is that Liverpool didn't show the interest in keeping us in the club."
I keed, I keed...

Old
02-03-2011, 02:07 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Mascherano backing Torres in the press:

I keed, I keed...
That's a really, really weird perspective for Masch to take, considering he wanted to leave because his wife didn't like life in England. Not sure how the club factors into that, at all.

Old
02-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Millhaus

Henry is hinting that they are going to stay at Anfield and not build a new stadium. If the Red Sox and Fenway are the model, and you would have to think they would be, I hope the locals are ready for some very expensive tickets.

Old
02-04-2011, 08:46 AM
JBurd

There's talk of a pretty big redevelopment, expanding the capacity to around 60k. I read that they would modify 2 of the stands (I think it was the Main and Centenary stands), and that the Kop would remain unchanged. Expanding to that capacity would bring in a good bit more revenue.

Old
02-04-2011, 08:52 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I wonder if he's just spit-balling because it worked so well with Fenway, or if he's basing this talk on actual financial projections.

If they can expand capacity and add enough corporate boxes, it definitely seems the most pragmatic option.

Old
02-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

If some are into it, we can also talk about teams you might want to follow. Or what teams you do follow.

Closed Thread