HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Football (Soccer)

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

vCash: 500
Premiership, I follow Arsenal. Domestically, D.C. United.

Old
02-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Millhaus

I'm an Ajax supporter and of Dutch football in general. The '95 Ajax team is my favorite ever team.

I started supporting Arsenal when Bergkamp went there. Bergkamp is my favorite ever player. When Overmars joined also that was great.

I started supporting Milan back in the late 80's when Van Basten, Rijkaard, and Gullit were there.

I've supported Barca going back to Cruyff's dream team.

I still support Milan and Barca I guess in that I want them to do better than Inter, Juve, and Madrid but I don't care all that much these days.

I very much still support Ajax and Arsenal though and being an Arsenal fan it makes it easy for me to be patient with the Caps...

Old
02-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Liverpool. Buddy of mine when i was in elementary school who I played soccer with liked them, and his dad was obsessive about it. We would watch matches at his house because he had a satellite feed. I nominally supported them then, but really got hooked with the 05 European Cup final. If watching that you didn't come away amazed, then I don't know how. It has become more radical as I am more able to view the matches in the last 4-5 seasons.

VfB Stuttgart. (I also have a soft spot for FC Koln, as some of my relatives root for them) I've been to a few matches. My family is from around the Stuttgart area. That's who they all root for, so there you go.

I don't mind Roma doing well, but more so because Totti was one of my favorite players for a long while. My like 03-04 Totti jersey is still sweet.

DC United, nominally. I go to a few matches here or there. MLS is blah, so I don't care so much. I like going, but it's tough to watch games without a few beers

National: Of course the US, though they're mediocre. Germany, because my dad was born there and all my relatives basically live there.

I like watching quality football period. I've got teams I follow in most leagues, but I'm not a supporter.

Old
02-04-2011, 10:39 AM
JBurd

Liverpool / DC United for me. I try to follow Sparta Praha when I can as well, though admittedly it is not very easy to do so, other than Europa. USMNT as well, and I'll keep track of how Liverpool players are doing for their national teams too.

BTW - I'm trying to figure out what the best bar would be to go see Liverpool/Chelsea near VC prior to the Caps game on Sunday... I'm guessing Fado?

Old
02-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Ibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I'm an Ajax supporter and of Dutch football in general. The '95 Ajax team is my favorite ever team.

I started supporting Arsenal when Bergkamp went there. Bergkamp is my favorite ever player. When Overmars joined also that was great.

I started supporting Milan back in the late 80's when Van Basten, Rijkaard, and Gullit were there.

I've supported Barca going back to Cruyff's dream team.

I still support Milan and Barca I guess in that I want them to do better than Inter, Juve, and Madrid but I don't care all that much these days.

I very much still support Ajax and Arsenal though and being an Arsenal fan it makes it easy for me to be patient with the Caps...
I'm a PSV fan myself, started in the Van Nistelrooy, Nilis era. Was too young to appreciate Romario and Ronaldo. Barcelona and Arsenal play great football, but the most entertaining league is the Bundesliga in my mind. Can't stand to watch Italian football

Old
02-04-2011, 10:58 AM
artilector

Dynamo Kyiv all the way!

Otherwise, I like teams that play beautiful football. So Barca and Arsenal, team Spain and Brazil. Mostly hate Italian teams, catenaccio, all that stuff.

Old
02-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurd View Post
Liverpool / DC United for me. I try to follow Sparta Praha when I can as well, though admittedly it is not very easy to do so, other than Europa. USMNT as well, and I'll keep track of how Liverpool players are doing for their national teams too.

BTW - I'm trying to figure out what the best bar would be to go see Liverpool/Chelsea near VC prior to the Caps game on Sunday... I'm guessing Fado?
Yeah, Fado has them on. Few others.

Old
02-04-2011, 11:05 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Liverpool/DC United.

Really started watching/following European football in college, but didn't really follow any specific team. 2005 Champions League final got me as well. Simply the best game I've seen in any sport.

I don't really have a consistently favorite team in any other leagues, just players I like to watch. This year (and for the past few years), Yoann Gourcuff has been one of my favorites. Don't have a clue why no one has poached him out of France (or why Milan let him go). Awesome player. Some other favorites to watch: Xavi and Puyol at Barca, Arda Turan, Keisuke Honda, and (sigh) Gareth Bale.

Old
02-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Ibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Liverpool/DC United.

Really started watching/following European football in college, but didn't really follow any specific team. 2005 Champions League final got me as well. Simply the best game I've seen in any sport.

I don't really have a consistently favorite team in any other leagues, just players I like to watch. This year (and for the past few years), Yoann Gourcuff has been one of my favorites. Don't have a clue why no one has poached him out of France (or why Milan let him go). Awesome player. Some other favorites to watch: Xavi and Puyol at Barca, Arda Turan, Keisuke Honda, and (sigh) Gareth Bale.
Gourcuff had troubles fitting in the group in Milan. He was a young guy and didn't get along with some of the vets. In Milan that means; you're out.

I remember Keisuke Honda playing in the dutch league, he's phenomonal, too bad he went to Russia, now I hardly see him play anymore

Old
02-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Millhaus

Torres quotes:

Quote:
"Things had changed a lot in the last year," Torres said of his time at Liverpool. "I think they have great ambition and they are doing the right things to get back but it will take time. I didn't have that time."

"The Champions League is the main thing," he said. "I know the ambition this club has about winning the Champions League, and it is the same ambition that I have. I think the ambition of this team is to keep winning trophies every year, so I have the same motivation. Talking about that, we are all thinking the same thing."

Torres admitted he had decided "ten to 12 days before the transfer window closed" that he wanted to leave Anfield in order to join Chelsea, and made his position very clear to the club. The striker saw an official transfer requested rejected by Liverpool just days before his transfer.

Old
02-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Gourcuff has a bit of Kaka's problem. He's not lower class. He's generally pretty reserved, straight edge, and that sometimes doesn't sit well with other players.

They question motivation, desire, and often times it's unfair, but it is what it is.

Old
02-05-2011, 08:03 AM
pgreene

i'm not really devoted to any one EPL team, mainly because i've never had a chance to watch enough to get fanatical about one. was always a newscastle fan--shearer was such a badass--but i also like liverpool and (you'll see a theme emerging in the next few) fulham, everton, villa, bolton.

gun to my head and make me pick a team, it'd be liverpool, mostly for gerrard. love the way he plays.

Old
02-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Gourcuff has a bit of Kaka's problem. He's not lower class. He's generally pretty reserved, straight edge, and that sometimes doesn't sit well with other players.

They question motivation, desire, and often times it's unfair, but it is what it is.
I think Gourcuff's problem at Milan was purely tactical. He is an advanced playmaker type of midfielder whose main asset is his passing and creativity. Milan have played with a deep playmaker in Pirlo for a long time and it takes a while for two players like that to learn to play together. Seedorf also is very much an advance playmaker type but he drifts out to the flanks a lot more to open up space and also has played with Pirlo a long time so they know each other very well. Gourcuff is much more about playing high up in the center of midfield. The way he plays he almost has to be the focus of the team's passing game and that just isn't the way Milan play when Pirlo is in there.

I like Gourcuff's game a lot and as an Arsenal fan when Fabregas leaves, and make no mistake he will leave in the next couple of years, I hope he is the guy they replace him with.

Old
02-05-2011, 08:27 AM
pgreene

this stoke/sunderland match is awesome in its ugliness.

Old
02-05-2011, 08:38 AM
pgreene

two fantastic balls into the box off set pieces by pennant. two late goals for stoke. potters get the points.

Old
02-05-2011, 08:58 AM
pgreene

how many of you guys have fox soccer channel? i had setanta a while back, but it was just too damn expensive, especially since once soccer season was over it was rugby, hurling, and the like.

i'm debating adding it to the package for tomorrow, anyway...

Old
02-05-2011, 09:37 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I think Comcast forces you to add the entire sports package to get FSC. Not something I'm willing to pay for with so many streams available.

And damn, Newcastle isn't responding well to losing Carroll well, are they?

Old
02-05-2011, 10:13 AM
artilector

I have FSC. Pretty good, can't complain. It seems like anytime you flip it on, there's a solid chance of catching a nice game, especially on the weekends. So now it's my fallback channel for watching tv. Very few commercials.

Arsenal just took Newcastle behind the shed..

Old
02-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Kinda why I find it hard to watch soccer - there are make-up calls, and then there is the absolute asininity going on in the second half @ Newcastle. ****ing disgraceful. Neither penalty should have been given.

Old
02-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

And the joke continues.

This is NBA-level reffing.

Ed - In before - "What a great comeback by Newcastle!!one1!"

It was served to them on a platter.

Old
02-05-2011, 10:58 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

What a comeback by Newcastle.

Old
02-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Clever.

Oh, wait, no...but why start now?

Old
02-05-2011, 11:03 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Seriously though, WTF happened?

Old
02-05-2011, 11:06 AM
artilector

Whoa... reffing.. yeah. But that last goal by Newcastle was awesome.

Old
02-05-2011, 11:13 AM
JBurd

The first penalty was legit, the second probably shouldn't have been called. The second penalty basically evened out the poor offside call a few minutes earlier though. Newcastle deserved the point.

What a strike by Tiote to level it.

Closed Thread