HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Top D-Man for the Isles

Old
02-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Islander Prophet

vCash: 500
Top D-Man for the Isles

Just out of curiosity, for you teams that have a good solid #1 D-Man available for trade (I'm thinking of a guy like Seabrook for example), what would you want from the Isles in exchange?

thanks

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Lottery pick

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:14 PM
hefsbeaver

more than the Isle would give I am sure. Why not just try to draft a Larssen or another good d-man?

hefsbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:17 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hefsbeaver View Post
more than the Isle would give I am sure. Why not just try to draft a Larssen or another good d-man?
Because they Isles have been drafting high for ~12 years and that hasn't seemed to work. If the player they could get back is young, and willing to stay with the Islanders, I think it would be wise to trade the pick for him.

02-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Islander Prophet

So our first round pick for Seabrook...I think Chicago would have to give a little more.. A top 3 pick overall is a lot...no?

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streit Power View Post
So our first round pick for Seabrook...I think Chicago would have to give a little more.. A top 3 pick overall is a lot...no?
Well what's the plan here?

The Isles have been drafting high for a while now and they can draft Larsson and hope he turns out to be as good (or possibly even better) than a Seabrook calibre player.

But what's really important? The winning mentality is the most important thing in building a winning team for the future. Giving up a Larsson or a Landeskog is certainly worth it if the player you're bringing in helps the team win now and sets an example that with hard work the team will turn around.

Add a few impact UFA signings and the high draft picks over the past few years maturing and you've got a playoff team.

While trading a top 3 pick for Seabrook is overpayment, he plays well with Keith and the Hawks have no reason to trade him.

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Seabrook would cost a lot.Young top paring D-men are always in high demand, and if he was available expect 29 teams to be calling about him.

As an Isles fan, if Larsson's off the board, I'd trade our first for Seabrook. And even then, I'd be tempted to trade the pick even if Larsson's available. I doubt Chicago would pull the trigger on that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Because they Isles have been drafting high for ~12 years and that hasn't seemed to work. If the player they could get back is young, and willing to stay with the Islanders, I think it would be wise to trade the pick for him.
They have? In 6 of the past 10 drafts the Islanders' first pick has been at #15 or later, and all 4 of the times it was earlier than #15 have been in the past five years.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:35 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
You can draft all you want, but if you don't put some players with those kids to play with the team will keep spining. And players like Doug Weight don't count.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:36 PM
comeclarity09

Why trade our first round pick for a defenseman now? Our forwards are not good enough right now to make a major run. We are better off keeping out assets, drafting larsson, who is just about nhl ready and next year go into the season with Streit, macdonald, hamonic, larsson and DeHaan(only if he looks ready in camp). Let them gel and get the kids some development time and make a run in 2013. Plus we would have larsson on an elc.

comeclarity09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:36 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post

They have? In 6 of the past 10 drafts the Islanders' first pick has been at #15 or later, and all 4 of the times it was earlier than 15 have been in the past five years.
That was from memory, so I probably got some of the positions wrong, but the point still stands that they have made some terrible picks in the draft. If they could get a Seabrook type for a top-3 pick, I would say to go for it.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 250
is seabrooks value really that high? i thought he was having an off year. id rather keep this pick, and try and sign a dman this summer, its a good year for top 4 dmen.

streit is our number one, we need a number two, or just get stronger defensive depth.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:38 PM
thalegion

Whitney 2nd and 3rd for Tavares

thalegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Intoewsables

Quote:
Pretty sure Chicago would rather have Seabrook than a top-3 pick right now.

Intoewsables is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

if were trading top 3/5 picks, id look for a stud forward personally.

Quote:
That was from memory, so I probably got some of the positions wrong, but the point still stands that they have made some terrible picks in the draft. If they could get a Seabrook type for a top-3 pick, I would say to go for it.
yes, before 2006, the prospect pool was pathetic, then in 2007, picks were moved for the playoffs so the prospect pool was barren pre 08.

Old
02-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalegion View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF94 View Post
Pretty sure Chicago would rather have Seabrook than a top-3 pick right now.
your most likely right, although i remember a brent seabrook trade thread.

Old
02-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
yuck

would you do streit for hall ?

same kind of deal

and yes im aware that Whitney has played his best hockey in his career this season

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
I don't disagree that they should go for it, but for a top three pick, I really don't think past drafting record really has much of anything to do with the reason why.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 07:37 PM
Hipster Doofus

Isles have accumulated **** load of young talent. Time to start making moves to get into the playoffs. The 1st is absolutely apart of the discussion if the Isles are serious about being a playoff team.

They should be looking into EJ's situation. Throw Bailey and the 1st on the table and see how they respond.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:04 PM
last row purple

You can have Phaneuf for your 1st in 2011

last row purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Hipietro

Quote:
This was said way too seriously.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:10 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Isles have accumulated **** load of young talent. Time to start making moves to get into the playoffs. The 1st is absolutely apart of the discussion if the Isles are serious about being a playoff team.

They should be looking into EJ's situation. Throw Bailey and the 1st on the table and see how they respond.
This is what i was thinking as well. See what teams would be willing to offer for Bailey and the 2011 first round pick. Maybe the Blues would be willing to offer up someone like Erik Johnson? I don't know how the blues would feel about that though. If the Isles can add a top 2 defenseman for next season their defense will be decent.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post

and in a trade like that, they still get a young guy back so the whole "we dont want to mortgage the future" line doesnt apply.

i dont think st.louis does it though.