HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lydman and Campbell

Old
02-02-2011, 01:01 PM
murp0837

vCash: 500
Lydman and Campbell

They are tied for 2nd in the league for +/-. We can certainly debate the value of the statistic, but it just highlights out some of the strange personnel decisions our front office has made over the last few seasons.

murp0837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:02 PM
BCS

Trading Campbell wasn't a strange decision. Letting Lydman walk was.

BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Pengo

I'm happy with the Campbell trade. It was a great return and got us Ennis.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Sabreality

vCash: 50
i was very disappointed in losing Lydman, many of us were clamoring for a Myers-Lydman top pairing...makes ya wonder if the kid wouldve struggled so much.

i dont mind losing Soupy, especially for that price.

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:12 PM
slip

Letting Lydman walk was beyond stupid.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Agreed with the rest, trading Soupy essentially got us Ennis and a couple draft picks (essentially turned into Craig Rivet, unfortunately...but still). I'm fine with that.

I could not comprehend letting Lydman walk, I would rather have Lydman with that extra 1 mil in salary a thousand times over Morrisonn right now. I remember reading an article too about how the Lydman negotiations went down and I think they agreed to a price but Buffalo was unwilling to give him that 3rd year so he finally just said screw it and walked, damn well knowing he could get that third year elsewhere (probably for more money too).

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 02:02 PM
mgeise

As others have said, it was really strange to let Lydman go and then replace he and Tallinder with similarly priced defensemen from outside the organization. He was the most consistent defenseman on the team since the lockout, and then we let him go for a comparable player in Leopold (I'm not complaining about the Leopold signing, just saying it would have made a lot more sense to keep Lydman). Maybe Lydman didn't want to come back to Buffalo and was looking to go somewhere warmer all along? Something didn't seem right there.

And as far as Campbell, we weren't willing to pay him what he got on the open market, and that ended up being the right decision. He isn't worth that contract. Also, we got some very good assets out of that trade.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Takeo

Campbell was a perfect fit here. Huge loss. They still haven't been able to replace him.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 02:39 PM
murp0837

I agree with all, except I feel like we could have signed Campbell had we done it in the offseason BEFORE he reached free agency.

Also, I look at someone like MacArthur would seems like he could have contributed nicely this year, but the Sabres let him go (for whatever reason).

Old
02-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Campbell was a perfect fit here. Huge loss. They still haven't been able to replace him.
I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not but uhh...Tyler Myers? And Myers actually brings a defensive game to the table as well. Given the salary cap issues at the time and the make-up of that team, Campbell was more of what they didn't need and they couldn't afford him on top of that.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 03:26 PM
7bucs

Quote:
Originally Posted by murp0837 View Post
They are tied for 2nd in the league for +/-. We can certainly debate the value of the statistic, but it just highlights out some of the strange personnel decisions our front office has made over the last few seasons.
The fact that you're bringing up +/- stats to debate Campbell just shows how far he's fallen off the map...

I liked Campbell more than Lydman when they were Sabres, but I don't miss either of them...

7bucs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 03:29 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Exactly. Trading Campbell made sense at that time, but they had already blown it by that point. I'm confident they could have signed Soupy to a long-term deal at $5M or less in the previous off-season or during the year, and he would have been well worth it. Takeo is right that they have never recovered from losing his transition game.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 03:33 PM
aceface33

I don't agree with letting lydman walk but I see why they did it. They didn't go to the third year on those guys because that's when the contract for myers will be up. Plus they have a lot of d in the system.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:48 PM
dire wolf
be cool

The point - even with Lydman - is that there is value to negotiating contract extensions before the end of the contract. I'm sure that Darcy could have done a 1-2 year extension with Lydman if he did it a year earlier. Same with Briere - I had him down for a 5 x $5M extension. This team would have looked a hell of a lot better the last 2 years with Soupy and Briere still in the fold.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:50 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

the pride level was pretty big when they were here.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:03 PM
Crazy Tasty

Excessively sweaty gingers scare the **** out of me.

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:38 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Losing Lydman hurts this season. It will not hurt in years 2 and 3 of that contract. The replacements will have the experience and he will not be the same player. Regier values defensemen over 30 who play physically very low. They break down fast. Craig Rivet is a perfect example of the risk you take signing Lydman to a 3 year deal.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:52 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

where would you rank campbell's contract amongst the worst in the nhl? 5 more years at over 7.1 mil per year. its way up there. far far up the list....

billsandsabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:56 PM
thomas vanek

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsandsabres View Post
where would you rank campbell's contract amongst the worst in the nhl? 5 more years at over 7.1 mil per year. its way up there. far far up the list....
Definitely in the top 5 worst....although Drury's is top 2-3 worst

thomas vanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:15 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Lydman-Myers
Leopold-Montador
Weber-Sekera

Still don't know why we let him go....

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 04:27 AM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
I don't agree with letting lydman walk but I see why they did it. They didn't go to the third year on those guys because that's when the contract for myers will be up. Plus they have a lot of d in the system.
They gave Leopold 3 years tho so that doesnt really make much sense... Should have given him the 3rd year, he wanted to be here and we sure could use his steady play back there.

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 05:42 AM
joechip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
They gave Leopold 3 years tho so that doesnt really make much sense... Should have given him the 3rd year, he wanted to be here and we sure could use his steady play back there.
Leopold is younger. That's the difference. Age matters to Darcy with defensemen.

Ta,

Old
02-03-2011, 06:04 AM
Husko

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
Leopold is younger. That's the difference. Age matters to Darcy with defensemen.

Ta,
Like Rivet and Numminen

Ha,

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 08:16 AM
joechip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
Like Rivet and Numminen

Ha,
One year deals for Numminen always. Your point? Also, Numminen never played a very physical game. Quite the opposite actually. So, again, your point? Rivet was brought in for toughness and leadership, which was sorely needed and they rolled the dice on his age/durability. His tenure here has been plagued by serious injuries, so I'm sure that further scared Regier off. He offered Lydman a 2 year deal. Given our pipeline of LH defensemen the third year was an issue. Do you think their experience with Rivet had no bearing on their decision with Lydman? Or are you just trying to be obtuse?

Decisions do not happen in a vacuum, no matter how much we'd like to construct our arguments here on a message board based on them.

Ta,

Old
02-03-2011, 11:28 AM
murp0837

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
One year deals for Numminen always. Your point? Also, Numminen never played a very physical game. Quite the opposite actually. So, again, your point? Rivet was brought in for toughness and leadership, which was sorely needed and they rolled the dice on his age/durability. His tenure here has been plagued by serious injuries, so I'm sure that further scared Regier off. He offered Lydman a 2 year deal. Given our pipeline of LH defensemen the third year was an issue. Do you think their experience with Rivet had no bearing on their decision with Lydman? Or are you just trying to be obtuse?

Decisions do not happen in a vacuum, no matter how much we'd like to construct our arguments here on a message board based on them.

Ta,
I'm not sure if you are being obtuse, but I wouldn't consider Lydman a physical defenseman. Also, the Numminem, Rivet, and (to a lesser degree) Montador contradict your point the Regier's resistance to sign aging defensemen.

The Sabres like to save money, and they do so by relying on young players. There's nothing more to it than that. It has nothing to do with age or durability, and everything to do with the cap.