HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NHL & HBO announce four-part "Road to the Winter Classic" special

Old
09-23-2010, 10:59 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...id=nhl-rxl-twt

Quote:
The NHL and HBO Sports announced Thursday their partnership for a groundbreaking, four-episode series as part of the network's 12-time Emmy Award-winning "24/7" reality TV franchise that will go deep into the inner workings of the Capitals-Penguins rivalry leading up to the 2011 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic, which will be played Jan. 1 at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh.

HBO Sports' cameras will have unprecedented access to film "24/7 Penguins/Capitals Road to the Winter Classic." It's the first time HBO Sports will divide its cameras between two teams and also the first time the network will document teams in the middle of their regular seasons.

The series will debut with an hour-long show Dec. 15 at 10 p.m. ET with an encore at 11. Ensuing episodes will debut at 10 p.m. ET on the subsequent Wednesdays -- Dec. 22, 29 and Jan. 5 -- all with an encore at 11. All four episodes will have multiple replay dates on HBO, and the series also will be available on HBO On Demand.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Fugu

vCash:
I always find these interesting from the "human" side of the story. I can't stand the idea of watching anything more that the NHL has a hand in with Crosby in it, but if I blot out that one name and focus on the team stories, it might be interesting.

Old
09-24-2010, 05:13 PM
King Woodballs

vCash: 375
I couldnt be bothered
I am sick and tired of the names Cros***** and Ov***kin being shoved down my throat

Last edited by David_99: 09-24-2010 at 05:22 PM.
King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 12:04 AM
kombayn

^Yeah but without them, the NHL wouldn't even be able to produce this deal with HBO. This is a perfect way to market hockey, ESPN going to talk about this stuff for the whole 4 weeks and get people to watch the Winter Classic on New Year's Day. I bet it gets the NHL the highest ratings ever for an NHL game.

kombayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 12:37 AM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombayn View Post
^Yeah but without them, the NHL wouldn't even be able to produce this deal with HBO. This is a perfect way to market hockey, ESPN going to talk about this stuff for the whole 4 weeks and get people to watch the Winter Classic on New Year's Day. I bet it gets the NHL the highest ratings ever for an NHL game.
& if pans out, I can see a show done on the Hawks with Toews, Kane, etc....

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 01:15 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

FWIW, HBO Canada has announced they'll show this as well.

Old
11-02-2010, 12:31 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Buccigross
PREVIEW TO 24/7 PENGUINS/CAPITALS: ROAD TO THE NHL WINTER CLASSIC” PREMIERES SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 20 ON HBO

(Guess Bucci's caps lock key is stuck )

Old
11-02-2010, 12:41 PM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

'inner workings of the capitals-penguins rivalry'

anyone else lol at that?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

anyone else lol at that?
why?

I'm hoping they'll get into what happened back in 07 (?) when Ovechkin got kicked in the groin, and the medical facilities at the igloo were "unavailable" to stitch him up. Still don't know what happened there.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 04:58 PM
kingsholygrail
Smug

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

anyone else lol at that?
Me. It's so manufactured.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:18 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post

This will be really exciting, and awesome for the sport.

Let the hype begin.

Old
11-17-2010, 02:48 PM
He Lied to Mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Let the hype begin.
They need to have a shot with the HBO logo where they just show the outside of the O and then you see someone take a slapshot, and then the puck goes into slo-mo and ends up filling in the inside of the O of the HBO logo.

He Lied to Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 04:47 PM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Me. It's so manufactured.
Pens-Caps goes back to the old Patrick Division days.....beating them in the playoffs has always been a pleasure of ours...

it is a legit rivalry...

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:23 PM
ebox99

12-minute preview of the HBO documentary series: "24/7 Penguins/Capitals: Road to the NHL Winter Classic

Last edited by LadyStanley: 11-23-2010 at 01:31 AM. Reason: embed vid
ebox99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:46 PM
andreydali19
They're relentless

Oh for crying out loud!!! (&*@#)(^#%(&^AL:GUEDAOHFP)(Q#RHUI#%R(&*(&*#(&*#(!( *&$%BENVEREEN!!!

Yes, I'm upset about Chaminade having the upset snatched from them.

But still, where was HBO when dealing with past Classics that involved more historically linked teams?

Oh, and GUEDAOHFP doesn't translate to an obscenity, does it?

andreydali19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 05:07 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1825717/

And filming begins.

Old
12-07-2010, 11:44 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

pghpenguins: Brent Johnson wore a camera on his mask for @HBO 24/7 Penguins/Capitals series filming http://twitpic.com/3dt0iw

Old
12-07-2010, 12:28 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreydali19 View Post
Oh for crying out loud!!! (&*@#)(^#%(&^AL:GUEDAOHFP)(Q#RHUI#%R(&*(&*#(&*#(!( *&$%BENVEREEN!!!

Yes, I'm upset about Chaminade having the upset snatched from them.

But still, where was HBO when dealing with past Classics that involved more historically linked teams?

Oh, and GUEDAOHFP doesn't translate to an obscenity, does it?
Obviously, they didn't care about those matchups.

Just goes to show that the NHL made the right call on this matchup, and also makes you wonder what took them so long to do it.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 07:37 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Debuts tonight (for those who have HBO; also on HBO Canada). 10pm (and encore the following hour).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...20in%20English

HBO President Greenburg on NHL Hour with Bettman Thursday.

Old
12-16-2010, 01:12 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

nhllive
Dave Harmon, sr producer, #hbo247, joins the show on thursday at 1230 et.

Old
12-16-2010, 06:46 AM
Noldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
Obviously, they didn't care about those matchups.

Just goes to show that the NHL made the right call on this matchup, and also makes you wonder what took them so long to do it.
If my memory serves me right, not many NHL teams were interested in Winter Classic as it originally debuted. Buffalo might have actually been the only team willing to host the event and it wasn't at that time that there was a line of teams competing to be the visitor instead of Penguins.

After the first attempt turned out successful (great weather did help), I think that league did wise thing and brought it (to an extend) to west. Chicago was also rising TV-market (for NHL) at that point, so the choice was very understandable and good.

Coming back to east for third time, putting Penguins back to game could have been a bit of a overkill. Heck, people are complaining now that Penguins are awarded second winter classic before all teams have had change to participate.

My point being, this year is probably the first time NHL can choose Washington vs. Pittsburgh (ie. Ovechkin vs. Crosby) as a stage for Winter Classic, because Pens was the one team that accepted to participate in the first Winter Classic while Washington was not.

Looking forward, the stage is completely different. The product (Winter Classic) has been established as desirable and more and more parties are vying for a change (see reports around last year's Winter Classic regarding interest to hold Winter Classic in Dallas). With Heritage Classic catering the grumpy Canadian fans, the league should do all in their power to make Winter Classic as big in USA as possible. Interesting point of comparison would be how big news the recent record setting game between Minnesota and Michigan State was over States.

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:32 AM
He Lied to Mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldo View Post
If my memory serves me right, not many NHL teams were interested in Winter Classic as it originally debuted. Buffalo might have actually been the only team willing to host the event and it wasn't at that time that there was a line of teams competing to be the visitor instead of Penguins.

After the first attempt turned out successful (great weather did help), I think that league did wise thing and brought it (to an extend) to west. Chicago was also rising TV-market (for NHL) at that point, so the choice was very understandable and good.

Coming back to east for third time, putting Penguins back to game could have been a bit of a overkill. Heck, people are complaining now that Penguins are awarded second winter classic before all teams have had change to participate.

My point being, this year is probably the first time NHL can choose Washington vs. Pittsburgh (ie. Ovechkin vs. Crosby) as a stage for Winter Classic, because Pens was the one team that accepted to participate in the first Winter Classic while Washington was not.

Looking forward, the stage is completely different. The product (Winter Classic) has been established as desirable and more and more parties are vying for a change (see reports around last year's Winter Classic regarding interest to hold Winter Classic in Dallas). With Heritage Classic catering the grumpy Canadian fans, the league should do all in their power to make Winter Classic as big in USA as possible. Interesting point of comparison would be how big news the recent record setting game between Minnesota and Michigan State was over States.
The record setting game was Michigan and Michigan State, not Minnesota.

He Lied to Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 03:00 PM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldo View Post
With Heritage Classic catering the grumpy Canadian fans
It dosen't. It reeks of afterthought. The Canadian teams evidently aren't good enough to get involved with the *actual* WC so they get given a 2nd-tier castoff every 7-8 years. Even when it's to the detriment of the WC itself - who seriously wants to watch Philly v. Boston when you could have had Montreal v. Boston instead?

Dosen't help that they couldn't even get two different teams to play it this time. Or that they're hosting it in Calgary in February which means it's probably going to be too warm to host outdoors to begin with. It's like they went out of their way to make every possible wrong decision for the HC.

The GOOD news is that I'm a Wings fan so one, it dosen't really matter to me, and two, the ridiculous precedent this WC is setting for participating teams keeps alive my hope for a Detroit-hosted WC at the Big House in the near future.

CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Ignoramus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
Or that they're hosting it in Calgary in February which means it's probably going to be too warm to host outdoors to begin with. It's like they went out of their way to make every possible wrong decision for the HC.

Ignoramus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 01:29 AM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Belvedere View Post
Ever been in Calgary in late winter? You just watch, a chinook's going to roll in two days before the game. It'll be 12C and the rink will be slush. They even have contingency plans for moving the game indoors because the weather's so unreliable.

Funnily enough, that's exactly what happened when Calgary hosted the Olympics back in 88. I still don't know why they didn't just host the game in Toronto or something, Calgary's the riskiest place they could have chosen for it weatherwise.

Last edited by CorbeauNoir: 12-17-2010 at 01:35 AM.
CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote