HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix XX: Two Weeks!

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2011, 09:18 PM
RR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTofMAROONSroad View Post
Simple really: we love hockey played at the highest level and rather than hope the league falls apart we hope it sees the light, reforms and changes its path. There is still time for the league to smarten up. People come and go, including executives.

GHOST
Yet if everyone welcomes them with open arms and bestows millions on them, where is the motivation to change? There is none.

Old
02-02-2011, 09:18 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
I wonder if Shoalts came out and said, "But it amazes me that this time around so many people, and I mean more than the usual idiot Jets fans who populate twitter and comment sites and newspapers, all seem to think this move to Winnipeg is a done deal. You know, despite the fact that so many times hopes have been dashed after announcements have been made and all this, it just boggles the mind."

Would he not be kicked to the curb as some hack -- as other Canadien writers who have come down on the side that the deal to stay here could get done, or should get done -- who has always had it out for Winnipeg; doesn't know what he's talking about; or only cares about another Toronto team?
Just me, but a lot of Winnipegers I know would just ignore Shoalts for what he is. A Toronto news writer that doesn't think the rest of Canada exists outside of Toronto. To him Canada is Toronto and thats it. When you live in Canada you just except that sports writers in Toronto live in there own universe. The upside is I don't live in Toronto and my universe does NOT include the Leafs. thank the almighty.

Regardless to what people outside of Phoenix think of as to the viability of Phoenix as a hockey market, I do know that the fans they do have are passionate. It was a mistake to call Coyotes fans "idiots" and Shoalts deserves the flak.

PS. When referring to people in Canada please spell it as Canadian. When you spell it as Canadien, this is referencing those misguided souls that cheer for the Montreal hockey team.

Old
02-02-2011, 09:29 PM
CGG

MH himself said, in his first official interview, that the Ice Edge guys were "likely" going to be part of the group as minority investors. That's the exact moment where I knew his bid was doomed for failure.

Old
02-02-2011, 09:33 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Try some Ritalin & Red Wine goyotes, copious amounts of the latter, then go for a drive in the desert, something I often do when troubled by these questions. Having seen no one nor another car for miles, sometimes, I imagine Im all alone in the world. Then I wonder, how could that be?. Who built this car, the road it sits on?.
No country for old Killion

Last edited by ps241: 02-02-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old
02-02-2011, 09:48 PM
WpgJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
MH himself said, in his first official interview, that the Ice Edge guys were "likely" going to be part of the group as minority investors. That's the exact moment where I knew his bid was doomed for failure.
i kinda find it funny that he announced them as likely minority investors when they couldn't buy the franchise themselves. I agree that MH's bid for the team is doomed just because of IEH.

Old
02-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
Have the names of the 8-10 member minority ownership group ever been revealed?...I know one of the members did an interview a while back, and we have to assume Ice Edge comprises four of those members, but I'd be really interested in learning (and, let's be honest, researching and dissecting ) the other members as well.....In addition, would each of those members have to be individually approved by the BOG, or would the whole "Hulsizer group" be approved as a whole?
Ya, it sure would be nice to know who these minority partners are in addition to IE & what the leagues plans are with respect to doing Due Diligence on them. Hulsizer as majority owners likely going to be (if not already) scoped out, and it remains to be seen to what standard the league'll hold him & the AMULA up to, and I dont mean Gary Bettman, I mean the BOG's. He serves at their pleasure. As for the minority owners, all were sorta/kinda sure about is IE, and Im sorry, but theirs an odor of Del Biaggio & Barrie about them that really turns me off, and could also turn off any number of votes around the table. How much do they have in here of the $70M anyway?. $10 or $10M?. They just strike me as Grifters & I really have to wonder why Hulsizer would involve them at all, unless he feels "obligated" in some way as they claimed they'd brought him to the dance. I just dont get it.

And tell ya what?. After the Spano & Del Biaggio fiascos, the NHL tightened up its vetting procedures (case by case), using the services of forensic tax accountants, actuaries & the like to sift through applicants financials; even hiring Pinkertons to do thorough background checks. Id be seeking the 9th degree on that posse' before letting them loose on the range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
I don't know how the approval would take place but you would have to think the NHL has been burnt enough times to do some due dilligence. I remember seeing a parent from Mr. Hulsizer's kids hockey team being an investor and rumours of a former Coyote minority owner as part of the ownership group. I don't recall any other names being bantered about unless you can count Jennifer Just.
Like so much else about this guy & his so far silent partners, complete absence of a paper trail, MOU, LOI, let alone seeing a Business Plan. OK. How about a finalized AMULA or Arena Mgmnt Agmnt?. We've got nothing to go on. If this things supposed to close within 12-13-18 days, they'd better have their Ducks in a row, and thus far its been all Duck Soup & the Marx Brothers. How are we supposed to believe that suddenly, within days, the COG gets its act together, t's crossed, i's dotted, slam bang done deal doors closed?. Frankly, I hope they can pull it off, but Im a little long in the tooth & growing short on optimism to think they can.

Last edited by Killion: 02-02-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old
02-02-2011, 10:08 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

Ok I'm watching the Yotes Nucks game in the 2nd period and they stop and pan around and show different people wearing the Snuggies......camera men, announcers......it's an epidemic and my wife said "hey I'd like one of those" you can't make this stuff up.....maybe she wanted one because it's 34 here tonight.....Yikes

On a side note it is my guess Matt co-opted the old IEH group of investors and just took the lead since he was bringing the big money to the dance..... not a hostile takeover but a friendly one with maybe a tweaking of the investor pool.....pure speculation but it wouldn't surprise me

Old
02-02-2011, 10:09 PM
william_adams

More bad news for anyone trying to raise money in the US municipal bond market:
http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...ight-week.html

Old
02-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Ok I'm watching the Yotes Nucks game in the 2nd period and they stop and pan around and show different people wearing the Snuggies......camera men, announcers......it's an epidemic and my wife said "hey I'd like one of those" you can't make this stuff up.....maybe she wanted one because it's 34 here tonight.....Yikes

On a side note it is my guess Matt co-opted the old IEH group of investors and just took the lead since he was bringing the big money to the dance..... not a hostile takeover but a friendly one with maybe a tweaking of the investor pool.....pure speculation but it wouldn't surprise me
I thought the snugglies were being given out on Saturday. Can you buy them and if so at what price?
Now just think if they had offered these to people buying season tickets then the team could have sellouts every night.

Last edited by Coach: 02-02-2011 at 10:27 PM. Reason: addition
Old
02-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
No country for old Men
There. Fixed. Geesh. Getting sensitive ps2forthepriceofone. Now dont make me get up again.

Quote:
This is just a side-issue to the weather & Snuggies?. Why I oughtta...

Old
02-02-2011, 10:42 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
With respect to attendance in Glendale, I'm watching the Canucks/Coyotes game right now and there actually seems to be more Canuck fans there than Coyote fans. The cheers for the Canucks are noticeably louder than that for the Coyote fans, and everywhere you look you can see Canuck jerseys.

02-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Steve Passless*

I wonder what they'll do with their Coyotes snuggies.

Old
02-02-2011, 10:57 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Passless View Post
I wonder what they'll do with their Coyotes snuggies.
eBay?

Old
02-02-2011, 11:06 PM
AllByDesign
Who's this ABD guy??

Quote:
Like so much else about this guy & his so far silent partners, complete absence of a paper trail, MOU, LOI, let alone seeing a Business Plan. OK. How about a finalized AMULA or Arena Mgmnt Agmnt?.

How are we supposed to believe that suddenly, within days, the COG gets its act together, t's crossed, i's dotted, slam bang done deal doors closed?. Frankly, I hope they can pull it off, but Im a little long in the tooth & growing short on optimism to think they can.
I hear the COG has a new plan. All of the paperwork is being drawn up in brail. A new strategy to throw off the GWI.

Old
02-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
With respect to attendance in Glendale, I'm watching the Canucks/Coyotes game right now and there actually seems to be more Canuck fans there than Coyote fans. The cheers for the Canucks are noticeably louder than that for the Coyote fans, and everywhere you look you can see Canuck jerseys.
Well it's 6-0 Vancouver, not like the Coyote fans have a lot to cheer about. The Coyote's are now 10 - 10 - 5 on home ice. They have a much better record on the road.

Old
02-02-2011, 11:15 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Well it's 6-0 Vancouver, not like the Coyote fans have a lot to cheer about. The Coyote's are now 10 - 10 - 5 on home ice. They have a much better record on the road.
Yeah, but right from the very beginning of the game you could tell the crowd was pro-Vancouver.

I just wonder how often this happens when other teams visit Phoenix? How much of their attendance is comprised of visiting teams fans that find it cheaper to travel to Phoenix and watch the game there than it is in their home city?

Old
02-02-2011, 11:20 PM
Brodie
to the hall

can the next thread have a snuggie themed title

Old
02-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Coach

Here is another talk radio this time from Calgary. Nothing new but always entertaining hearing different views.
Start at 7:00.

http://www.fan960.com/media.jsp?cont...02_160852_9012

Old
02-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
Thats right. Close to 50,000+ ex-pat BC'er's within driving distance of the job & they only come out to watch their beloved Canucks, letting the lowly Coyotes swing for it 39X's a year, like the steps up to the gibbet. Everyones in BC's a Canucks Fan. Too bad for the Yotes their not better Hockey Fans, bellying up to buy ST's & multi-game packs in Glendale; and ditto to all of the rest of the transplanted miscreants from Detroit to Edmonton & San Jose to Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Well it's 6-0 Vancouver, not like the Coyote fans have a lot to cheer about.
Y'know, upon reflection Coach?. I enjoyed the organ playing the most.

Old
02-02-2011, 11:48 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
There. Fixed. Geesh. Getting sensitive ps2forthepriceofone. Now dont make me get up again.

This is just a side-issue to the weather & Snuggies?. Why I oughtta...
Ok that 2 for the price of 1 had me rolling......yes your romp in the desert gave me visions of Joel and Ethan

Yes when it comes to DJ and IEH Snuggies are more useful......the Snuggies were the highlight with my wife and the best part about the game if you were pulling for the Yotes....the way they are playing it seems like they are getting ready to return to the Peg....freezing here tonight and the home team sucks it feel like the Jets are back.....ok so now I am really hoping Matt can get this in the end zone.....a chance at Atlanta is feeling much better than a sure thing with the Yotes.....ok I am just poking fun guys

Old
02-02-2011, 11:55 PM
RR

Quote:
Thats right. Close to 50,000+ ex-pat BC'er's within driving distance of the job & they only come out to watch their beloved Canucks, letting the lowly Coyotes swing for it 39X's a year, like the steps up to the gibbet. Everyones in BC's a Canucks Fan. Too bad for the Yotes their not better Hockey Fans, bellying up to buy ST's & multi-game packs in Glendale; and ditto to all of the rest of the transplanted miscreants from Detroit to Edmonton & San Jose to Miami.
Maybe the late LA Kings owner Jack Kent Cooke was on to something when he brought the expansion LA Kings to Los Angeles. He had been told there were over 300,000 former Canadians living within a three-hour drive of Los Angeles. A few years later he remarked, "Now I know why they left Canada: They hate hockey!"

Old
02-03-2011, 12:11 AM
Jeffrey93

What was Balsillie's final offer to Glendale again??

I'm asking because I'd like to know what Glendale's opportunity cost is. If this sale does go through and they end up paying to have this team bought (bizzarro-world, I know!) add on the costs Glendale has suffered in dealing with this....plus the costs of the arena...minus the rent payments (peanuts) and on top of that what Balsillie would have paid them.

Just how deep is Glendale if this deal goes through??

I still don't understand how issuing bonds to pay for something that you own makes more sense than issuing bonds to pay off the arena and washing your hands of this mess.

Old
02-03-2011, 12:12 AM
Coach

I guess if $1,00 Beer nights and free snuggies doesn't work I guess this should help sales.

New buy one get one free coupon in the savvy shopper. Games available Feb. 2, 5, 7, 17. Go to phoenixcoyotes.com/savvy password:SAVVY Good for $36 and $59 tickets.

Old
02-03-2011, 12:19 AM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey93 View Post
What was Balsillie's final offer to Glendale again??

I'm asking because I'd like to know what Glendale's opportunity cost is. If this sale does go through and they end up paying to have this team bought (bizzarro-world, I know!) add on the costs Glendale has suffered in dealing with this....plus the costs of the arena...minus the rent payments (peanuts) and on top of that what Balsillie would have paid them.

Just how deep is Glendale if this deal goes through??

I still don't understand how issuing bonds to pay for something that you own makes more sense than issuing bonds to pay off the arena and washing your hands of this mess.
I believe that the COG may already have a bond issue on the arena.

Old
02-03-2011, 12:29 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
Maybe the late LA Kings owner Jack Kent.... "Now I know why they left Canada: They hate hockey!"
Its' tough for many I know. Why would you bring a sandwich to a banquet of activities & options?. Therein lies one of the fundamental difficulties faced in many markets, but far from a deal-breaker, and a pretty soft excuse.

Closed Thread