HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quintal Traded to KINGS

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-27-2004, 11:37 AM
  #1
PacketFlo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Quintal Traded to KINGS

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/news_sto...Name=nhl-kings

This just came up on Tsn's website......

PacketFlo is offline  
Old
06-27-2004, 12:21 PM
  #2
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
hmmm... We trade a UFA we had no plan to sign. Guess I can't complain with the return, a bag of ships would have done.

Munchausen is offline  
Old
06-27-2004, 03:04 PM
  #3
Howie Morenz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sudbury,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,044
vCash: 500
He publicly stated he didn't want to play here in a limited role. Is Komi suppose to sit in the stands so Q can take a regular shift? I don't think so.... Good move Bob.

Howie Morenz is offline  
Old
06-27-2004, 03:33 PM
  #4
perezhoginthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
It is a good move by B.G. Quintal should not stay all his life at Montreal

perezhoginthebest is offline  
Old
06-27-2004, 03:33 PM
  #5
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,304
vCash: 500
As long as we're Habs fans and can nitpick... why? Is it delayed-reaction connected to the Bonk deal? Otherwise, aren't we just giving up some UFA-compensation-money that might have landed us another juicy 9th round pick last year? (A la Bill Lindsay). Presumably those "future considerations" must be awesome and tangible, then. Let's not get too chummy with LA, though, we still have to steal Laperriere from them.

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
06-27-2004, 03:35 PM
  #6
Duster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
hmmm... We trade a UFA we had no plan to sign. Guess I can't complain with the return, a bag of ships would have done.
Even if this turns out to be an 8th or 9th rounder in 2005, I'm happy. I wonder if Quintal's transfer was something that was factored in as part of the Garon deal? i.e Garon, Quintal and a third for Bonk, Huet and futures...

Perhaps the Garon for Bonk trade wasn't as spontaneous as some think. Just a thought

Duster is offline  
Old
06-27-2004, 05:04 PM
  #7
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster
Even if this turns out to be an 8th or 9th rounder in 2005, I'm happy. I wonder if Quintal's transfer was something that was factored in as part of the Garon deal? i.e Garon, Quintal and a third for Bonk, Huet and futures...

Perhaps the Garon for Bonk trade wasn't as spontaneous as some think. Just a thought
You have to think that Taylor had his eye on Garon ever since that game in LA. I don't believe Taylor when he says he watched his development. That's a load. Hopefully he didn't forget those 5 goalposts the Kings hit in that game as well.

LA is in a shaky state on their blueline as well if they need a guy like Quintal who's only remaining strength are his hands.

tinyzombies is offline  
Old
06-27-2004, 05:15 PM
  #8
TwineSniper
Registered User
 
TwineSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,105
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
The "Future Considerations" is most likely going to be the equivalent of whatever compensation we would have gotten for losing Quintal on July 1, probably a 7th Rounder or so.

Good Luck Stéphane!

TwineSniper is online now  
Old
06-27-2004, 06:04 PM
  #9
eddy
Registered User
 
eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,673
vCash: 500
How do these compention picks work, does a team get a pick for every player they lose to free agency or somthing? BTW I like this deal we get somthing for a UFA we weren't gonna re-sign anyway, not much but it's somthing.

eddy is offline  
Old
06-27-2004, 06:14 PM
  #10
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy
How do these compention picks work, does a team get a pick for every player they lose to free agency or somthing?
Not necessarily. For one thing, a team can get 2 picks at most. They take into account the salaries of the players signed away from you, vs. the salaries of any free agents you sign, plug it all into a big formula, and viola, out pops the compensation picks. Basically, we'd probably get a 2nd rounder for Kovalev, and maybe even a 3rd for Perreault depending on how much he signs for, etc, and then there's Dowd too... so since we can only get 2 picks, Quintal would just give us some "lost salary" to offset against any FA's we signed ourselves, and probably not an actual pick, unless BG starts signing guys himself.

Whew. Got all that? Sorry!

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
06-27-2004, 06:37 PM
  #11
eddy
Registered User
 
eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Not necessarily. For one thing, a team can get 2 picks at most. They take into account the salaries of the players signed away from you, vs. the salaries of any free agents you sign, plug it all into a big formula, and viola, out pops the compensation picks. Basically, we'd probably get a 2nd rounder for Kovalev, and maybe even a 3rd for Perreault depending on how much he signs for, etc, and then there's Dowd too... so since we can only get 2 picks, Quintal would just give us some "lost salary" to offset against any FA's we signed ourselves, and probably not an actual pick, unless BG starts signing guys himself.

Whew. Got all that? Sorry!
Ya ok got it now, thanks alot!

eddy is offline  
Old
06-27-2004, 10:21 PM
  #12
Mondo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 81
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
You have to think that Taylor had his eye on Garon ever since that game in LA. I don't believe Taylor when he says he watched his development. That's a load. Hopefully he didn't forget those 5 goalposts the Kings hit in that game as well.
Hi all, Kings fan here

Kings have been rumoured to be after Garon for over a year now, maybe that LA/Montreal performance sparked it a bit more.

I do have a question though, I haven't seen much of Garon and i was wondering, what type of style does he play (e.g butterfly, standup) and what are the strengths to his game. I would appreciate any help there.

As for Huet, he's a solid position goaltender who plays the angles well, rarely out of position, but he can over commit to plays sometimes. Which is something that he has been working on. Like i said, he plays solid positionally and he also has a quick glove and pads. He's definitly more suited to the backup role (which shouldn't be a problem because Theodore is the obvious #1), he can come in to provide relief for a game or take over as #1 for a period in case of an injury, but he has showed signs of fatigue in the past when over worked. Overall he'll provide a solid backup for your team.

Mondo

Mondo is offline  
Old
06-27-2004, 10:30 PM
  #13
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Garon is a classic butterfly goaltender, much like Roy. He is awsome when on his game, and the only major problem i would say he has, is his rebound control. He is big, so its more difficult for him to move, but if he can learn to control his rebounds(no reason why he cant), he wont have to move so much. Garon will be a great goalie overall imo, and perhaps even better than our starter Theo. He has potential, and if he lives up to it, he will simply be awsome and quickly become a fan favourite!

Mooch is offline  
Old
06-27-2004, 11:33 PM
  #14
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
We traded a UFA in Quintal to them, maybe they will trade a UFA in Laperriere to us?

Q went there because suposedly the Kings are interested in him, that could influence him to sign there because of that...maybe Gainey will do the same to show his interest in signing Laperriere?

Is Laperriere the future considerations???

RE-HABS is offline  
Old
06-28-2004, 09:47 AM
  #15
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,429
vCash: 500
I doubt there is any futures coming Montreal way in this move. I assume L.A. and Quintal wanted to talk and Montreal did them both a favour by sending Quintal there. If Quintal signs anywhere BUT L.A. I would be shocked.

Darz is offline  
Old
06-28-2004, 10:09 AM
  #16
Joe Cole
Registered User
 
Joe Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,206
vCash: 500
Sounds like the Habs gave Q his gold watch.... i.e. retirement in the sun, where pro hockey is so far off the radar, you can just relax and grow old (and tanned) gracefully.

Joe Cole is offline  
Old
06-28-2004, 04:43 PM
  #17
deandebean
Registered User
 
deandebean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 9,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Garon is a classic butterfly goaltender, much like Roy. He is awsome when on his game, and the only major problem i would say he has, is his rebound control. He is big, so its more difficult for him to move, but if he can learn to control his rebounds(no reason why he cant), he wont have to move so much. Garon will be a great goalie overall imo, and perhaps even better than our starter Theo. He has potential, and if he lives up to it, he will simply be awsome and quickly become a fan favourite!

All is true. Just add the fact that Garon has yet to prove if he's capable of handling a regular number one job. As a junior, he failed at the tailspin of the season (and during the playoffs), same for his dismal season with Quebec in the AHL.

Even though my comment doesn't garner any majority here (au contraire), I'm still one of the few here to have followed him at the junior level. And Garon has never lived up to his potential at the levels he played.

I hope he does well with LA, because the kid, like Mooch says, has all the potential in the world. Technically, he stills has some kinks to work on, though. His positioning is not always the best. That's why he's called upon to make the spectacular save (like he did against LA). Theo was like that when he started in the NHL. He compensates with his great athletic capabilities.

Like I wrote, it's all a mind game. The jury is still out as to where he fits: as a Roy-like figure, or as a Thibault-like figure.

deandebean is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.