HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quintal Traded to KINGS

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2004, 11:37 AM
PacketFlo

vCash: 500
Quintal Traded to KINGS

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/news_sto...Name=nhl-kings

This just came up on Tsn's website......

Old
06-27-2004, 12:21 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

hmmm... We trade a UFA we had no plan to sign. Guess I can't complain with the return, a bag of ships would have done.

Old
06-27-2004, 03:04 PM
Howie Morenz

He publicly stated he didn't want to play here in a limited role. Is Komi suppose to sit in the stands so Q can take a regular shift? I don't think so.... Good move Bob.

Old
06-27-2004, 03:33 PM
perezhoginthebest

It is a good move by B.G. Quintal should not stay all his life at Montreal

Old
06-27-2004, 03:33 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

As long as we're Habs fans and can nitpick... why? Is it delayed-reaction connected to the Bonk deal? Otherwise, aren't we just giving up some UFA-compensation-money that might have landed us another juicy 9th round pick last year? (A la Bill Lindsay). Presumably those "future considerations" must be awesome and tangible, then. Let's not get too chummy with LA, though, we still have to steal Laperriere from them.

Old
06-27-2004, 03:35 PM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
hmmm... We trade a UFA we had no plan to sign. Guess I can't complain with the return, a bag of ships would have done.
Even if this turns out to be an 8th or 9th rounder in 2005, I'm happy. I wonder if Quintal's transfer was something that was factored in as part of the Garon deal? i.e Garon, Quintal and a third for Bonk, Huet and futures...

Perhaps the Garon for Bonk trade wasn't as spontaneous as some think. Just a thought

Old
06-27-2004, 05:04 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster
Even if this turns out to be an 8th or 9th rounder in 2005, I'm happy. I wonder if Quintal's transfer was something that was factored in as part of the Garon deal? i.e Garon, Quintal and a third for Bonk, Huet and futures...

Perhaps the Garon for Bonk trade wasn't as spontaneous as some think. Just a thought
You have to think that Taylor had his eye on Garon ever since that game in LA. I don't believe Taylor when he says he watched his development. That's a load. Hopefully he didn't forget those 5 goalposts the Kings hit in that game as well.

LA is in a shaky state on their blueline as well if they need a guy like Quintal who's only remaining strength are his hands.

Old
06-27-2004, 05:15 PM
TwineSniper

Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
The "Future Considerations" is most likely going to be the equivalent of whatever compensation we would have gotten for losing Quintal on July 1, probably a 7th Rounder or so.

Good Luck Stéphane!

Old
06-27-2004, 06:04 PM
eddy

How do these compention picks work, does a team get a pick for every player they lose to free agency or somthing? BTW I like this deal we get somthing for a UFA we weren't gonna re-sign anyway, not much but it's somthing.

Old
06-27-2004, 06:14 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy
How do these compention picks work, does a team get a pick for every player they lose to free agency or somthing?
Not necessarily. For one thing, a team can get 2 picks at most. They take into account the salaries of the players signed away from you, vs. the salaries of any free agents you sign, plug it all into a big formula, and viola, out pops the compensation picks. Basically, we'd probably get a 2nd rounder for Kovalev, and maybe even a 3rd for Perreault depending on how much he signs for, etc, and then there's Dowd too... so since we can only get 2 picks, Quintal would just give us some "lost salary" to offset against any FA's we signed ourselves, and probably not an actual pick, unless BG starts signing guys himself.

Whew. Got all that? Sorry!

Old
06-27-2004, 06:37 PM
eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Not necessarily. For one thing, a team can get 2 picks at most. They take into account the salaries of the players signed away from you, vs. the salaries of any free agents you sign, plug it all into a big formula, and viola, out pops the compensation picks. Basically, we'd probably get a 2nd rounder for Kovalev, and maybe even a 3rd for Perreault depending on how much he signs for, etc, and then there's Dowd too... so since we can only get 2 picks, Quintal would just give us some "lost salary" to offset against any FA's we signed ourselves, and probably not an actual pick, unless BG starts signing guys himself.

Whew. Got all that? Sorry!
Ya ok got it now, thanks alot!

Old
06-27-2004, 10:21 PM
Mondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
You have to think that Taylor had his eye on Garon ever since that game in LA. I don't believe Taylor when he says he watched his development. That's a load. Hopefully he didn't forget those 5 goalposts the Kings hit in that game as well.
Hi all, Kings fan here

Kings have been rumoured to be after Garon for over a year now, maybe that LA/Montreal performance sparked it a bit more.

I do have a question though, I haven't seen much of Garon and i was wondering, what type of style does he play (e.g butterfly, standup) and what are the strengths to his game. I would appreciate any help there.

As for Huet, he's a solid position goaltender who plays the angles well, rarely out of position, but he can over commit to plays sometimes. Which is something that he has been working on. Like i said, he plays solid positionally and he also has a quick glove and pads. He's definitly more suited to the backup role (which shouldn't be a problem because Theodore is the obvious #1), he can come in to provide relief for a game or take over as #1 for a period in case of an injury, but he has showed signs of fatigue in the past when over worked. Overall he'll provide a solid backup for your team.

Mondo

Old
06-27-2004, 10:30 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Garon is a classic butterfly goaltender, much like Roy. He is awsome when on his game, and the only major problem i would say he has, is his rebound control. He is big, so its more difficult for him to move, but if he can learn to control his rebounds(no reason why he cant), he wont have to move so much. Garon will be a great goalie overall imo, and perhaps even better than our starter Theo. He has potential, and if he lives up to it, he will simply be awsome and quickly become a fan favourite!

Old
06-27-2004, 11:33 PM
RE-HABS

We traded a UFA in Quintal to them, maybe they will trade a UFA in Laperriere to us?

Q went there because suposedly the Kings are interested in him, that could influence him to sign there because of that...maybe Gainey will do the same to show his interest in signing Laperriere?

Is Laperriere the future considerations???

Old
06-28-2004, 09:47 AM
Darz

I doubt there is any futures coming Montreal way in this move. I assume L.A. and Quintal wanted to talk and Montreal did them both a favour by sending Quintal there. If Quintal signs anywhere BUT L.A. I would be shocked.

Old
06-28-2004, 10:09 AM
Joe Cole

Sounds like the Habs gave Q his gold watch.... i.e. retirement in the sun, where pro hockey is so far off the radar, you can just relax and grow old (and tanned) gracefully.

Old
06-28-2004, 04:43 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Garon is a classic butterfly goaltender, much like Roy. He is awsome when on his game, and the only major problem i would say he has, is his rebound control. He is big, so its more difficult for him to move, but if he can learn to control his rebounds(no reason why he cant), he wont have to move so much. Garon will be a great goalie overall imo, and perhaps even better than our starter Theo. He has potential, and if he lives up to it, he will simply be awsome and quickly become a fan favourite!

All is true. Just add the fact that Garon has yet to prove if he's capable of handling a regular number one job. As a junior, he failed at the tailspin of the season (and during the playoffs), same for his dismal season with Quebec in the AHL.

Even though my comment doesn't garner any majority here (au contraire), I'm still one of the few here to have followed him at the junior level. And Garon has never lived up to his potential at the levels he played.

I hope he does well with LA, because the kid, like Mooch says, has all the potential in the world. Technically, he stills has some kinks to work on, though. His positioning is not always the best. That's why he's called upon to make the spectacular save (like he did against LA). Theo was like that when he started in the NHL. He compensates with his great athletic capabilities.

Like I wrote, it's all a mind game. The jury is still out as to where he fits: as a Roy-like figure, or as a Thibault-like figure.

Closed Thread