HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus - Penguins vs. Isles (2-2-11)

Old
02-02-2011, 08:47 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Cole's Plus/Minus - Penguins vs. Isles (2-2-11)

Plus

+ Brent Johnson: Seriously.. this guy deserves a lot of credit for our success this season. He's obviously helped Fleury along the way and has done GREAT as a backup this season. I'd have to grade him an A++++ for the season. He's stepped up and been a leader when nobody asked him to.

Also.. huge ups to this guy for being a professional. He could have unloaded on Rick, but was a better man and respected his fellow NHLer. That's why I love this game. Players respect one another and there is true passion in the game. Brent Johnson just became one of my favorite players in the league this season.

And if that wasn't enough - the guy doesn't even care if he gets a shut-out for himself. He cares about the team win and standing up for his team instead. Really? How can you not love this guy.

+ Team heart: It takes a lot for a team to come out of losing Sid/Geno/etc. for long periods of time and still be strong. It really does. It takes a good coach and some great competitors that do not quit when the cards are stacked against them. They might not be skilled.. but this could go a long way to showing these guys they need to step up even when Sid/Geno are back in the lineup.

+ Team chemistry - Guys come their team's defense. Guys are happy for others when they score. Guys are willing to do anything for the win at the end of the game. They sacrifice their bodies and put it all on the line. That makes me very proud to be a fan of this team.

+ Defense: Can't complain, right? Everyone was doing their job in our zone and really showed up tonight. Good overall effort.

Minus

NOTHING. I love it.

Last edited by ColePens: 02-02-2011 at 08:54 PM.
ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 944
+ Goalie fight!

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Brent Johnson is the man. Not much else to say except this team is looking pretty tough with its two best offensive players (and one Test tube) out of the game.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:57 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
This team plays for each other more than any other team in the league. Standing up for each other at every turn... it's just great to see. I can't say enough about Brent Johnson right now.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Sideline

+Tangradi. I was specifically watching to see if he would screw up. He didn't. He made safe plays all the time taking the puck north, back checked hard, and got to the front of the net.

+Jeffrey. His D zone play is unreal for a 22 year old AHL call up. The last time I was this impressed with a young guy playing so responsible and smart was Staal. He's also got a nice shot when he lets it go.

+Staal. Do people really not see his offensive potential? He's an accurate shot away from being a 40 goal man. Yeah, I said it.

++++++Brent Johnson! I was all excited when I saw the baddest man in the NHL, Deryk Engelland, making his way toward the scrum his malice in his eyes, but wow I was watching the wrong guy! That's a great team mate right there. Johnson could have sat on his shutout and no one would even think twice about him staying in his net. Instead he proceeded to inform DiPietro that "*****, you got knocked the **** out!"

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Gary Roberts
Bringer of rain

+ Johnny nuff said

+ Dustin Jeffrey, the kid looks like an NHL'er.

+ Tangradi, solid game, really doing the simple things right. Strong on the boards, good puck support, going to the net.

+ Max Talbot, worked hard, great on the PK

+ Big Z, monster on the PK

+ Kunitz going to the net and shooting the puck. I hope he continues to play like that when Sid comes back instead of always trying to feed the puck to 87

- Disco Dan keeping Tangradi on the 4th line. The few shifts he had with Staal or Jeffrey he actually created some offense. I think playing with Godard and Adams would have made Mario Lemieux look bad.

- Pascal Dupuis. Another game where he just refused to play hard. He's really just taking up space at this point. He's going to keep a player with actual drive and talent in the minors.

Gary Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Wes Mantooth

Johnny should have done the Carey Price shrug after knocking down DP

Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
+Tangradi. I was specifically watching to see if he would screw up. He didn't. He made safe plays all the time taking the puck north, back checked hard, and got to the front of the net.

+Jeffrey. His D zone play is unreal for a 22 year old AHL call up. The last time I was this impressed with a young guy playing so responsible and smart was Staal. He's also got a nice shot when he lets it go.

+Staal. Do people really not see his offensive potential? He's an accurate shot away from being a 40 goal man. Yeah, I said it.

++++++Brent Johnson! I was all excited when I saw the baddest man in the NHL, Deryk Engelland, making his way toward the scrum his malice in his eyes, but wow I was watching the wrong guy! That's a great team mate right there. Johnson could have sat on his shutout and no one would even think twice about him staying in his net. Instead he proceeded to inform DiPietro that "*****, you got knocked the **** out!"
That's what I loved the most. There was one sequence in the second where he got the puck in the D-zone and there were three Islanders around him and instead of panicking, stickhandled out of trouble and made a nice outlet.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

+ Everybody

+++ Michalek, Johnson, TK, Kunitz, Jeffrey

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:00 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Plus

+ Brent Johnson: Seriously.. this guy deserves a lot of credit for our success this season. He's obviously helped Fleury along the way and has done GREAT as a backup this season. I'd have to grade him an A++++ for the season. He's stepped up and been a leader when nobody asked him to.

Also.. huge ups to this guy for being a professional. He could have unloaded on Rick, but was a better man and respected his fellow NHLer. That's why I love this game. Players respect one another and there is true passion in the game. Brent Johnson just became one of my favorite players in the league this season.

And if that wasn't enough - the guy doesn't even care if he gets a shut-out for himself. He cares about the team win and standing up for his team instead. Really? How can you not love this guy.

+ Team heart: It takes a lot for a team to come out of losing Sid/Geno/etc. for long periods of time and still be strong. It really does. It takes a good coach and some great competitors that do not quit when the cards are stacked against them. They might not be skilled.. but this could go a long way to showing these guys they need to step up even when Sid/Geno are back in the lineup.

+ Team chemistry - Guys come their team's defense. Guys are happy for others when they score. Guys are willing to do anything for the win at the end of the game. They sacrifice their bodies and put it all on the line. That makes me very proud to be a fan of this team.

+ Defense: Can't complain, right? Everyone was doing their job in our zone and really showed up tonight. Good overall effort.

Minus

NOTHING. I love it.
This is the most important thing right now IMO. Without Sid and Geno, it is important for the rest of the guys to stick tight and continue to work as hard as they've been doing so far this year. Two thumbs up to our boys.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:01 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I actually thought Tangradi looked like he had extra speed tonight. Did anyone else think that?

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Genetic

Quote:
I actually thought Tangradi looked like he had extra speed tonight. Did anyone else think that?
thought the exact same thing.

+ the end of the 3rd.........epic

Genetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Sideline

Quote:
I think it was just less hesitation. Every time he had the puck he knew what he wanted to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
That's what I loved the most. There was one sequence in the second where he got the puck in the D-zone and there were three Islanders around him and instead of panicking, stickhandled out of trouble and made a nice outlet.
That was a great one. My favourite was a sequence, I think in the third, where someone made a bad clear and Jeffrey broke up two separate chances in the slot with subtle poke checks.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
i thought so too, but i wonder how much of it was the fact that the islanders blueline isn't the swiftest group around. hell, i thought i saw godard blow by a guy entering the zone early on. of course he took a stupid penalty five seconds later, but you get the drift.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
I think everything about his game was improved from the beginning of the season, he'd look decent by one of Crosby, Malkin or Staal but he'll get sent back down.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:08 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

+ Johnson. Outstanding performance in the net tonight. His standing up for Matt Cooke getting tripped by DiPeitro and busting him up with a single left hook to the temple was great, just too bad he doesn't get the credit for the shut-out. But apparently, he didn't care. haha
+ 2 more points without Sid/Geno.

HuskerTornado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:08 PM
GoGoCrazy

This pretty much sums it up...

Last edited by shureshot66: 02-02-2011 at 09:12 PM. Reason: fixed embed code.
GoGoCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Dovahkiin
Geno! Geno! Geno!

For anyone that hasnt seen the fight its up on the pens Facebook channel

Great ****ing game, way to grind these *****es down boys.

Dovahkiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:09 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
It was just that one play where it really showed when he burst down the wing in the first. Caught me off guard for a sec to the point where I was wondering if it was him or not.

I dont' think he'll ever be a burner, but the important thing is he looked anything but slow. That and the fact that he seems to enjoy being a pain in the ass in front of the crease bodes well for us in the near future.

It's Jeffrey that has my attention right now. Even when Letestu was having a great pace at the beginning of the year, you knew his speed and size would hamper him a bit, despite a high hockey I.Q.

It's the subtle things I like. That play in the D-zone I already mentioned, but even though the 2 on 1 didn't look like a difficult pass (which it wasn't), you saw him do a really subtle fake as if he was going to shoot, then passed it into Kunitz' wheelhouse.

I just wish we didnt' have so many ****ing centers. I haven't seen him play wing yet, but if he's effective, we may have something here.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:10 PM
TopShelfGoal

Just read that BJ doesn't get credit for the shutout due to the game misconduct at 19:43.

TopShelfGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:10 PM
cadow

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTH...MMERED/6/33352

shows the fight...

cadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:11 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
@emptynetters DiPietro had a big welt on the left side of his face. He said of Johnson, "He's got long arms."
yes. yes he does.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 944

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Lionel Hutz

+ adams
+ adams

Lionel Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:14 PM
gopens66

+solid play in net from our backup, Johnson deserved the shutout (even though it's split)

+solid PK by all on it------and they are on it!

+solid play by all the AHL kids

+solid left hand of our backup, Johnson......the last time I saw a guy go down like a sack of bricks by one left hand was......well.....last night

gopens66 is offline   Reply With Quote