HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Real Islander Fans!!!

Old
02-03-2011, 12:00 AM
Drivefor5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
Thanks. I appreciate the support. I've been a fan since 1972-1973. My greatest Islander moment was the 1975 Islanders victory over the Rangers in Game 3 of the playoffs. It was a best out of 3 series and it was the Islanders first playoff series ever. The Rangers were heavily favored. The Islanders won the first game in the Garden the Rangers won the second game in the Coliseum. THe final game was at the Garden. The Islanders had a 3-1 lead going into the 3rd period. The Rangers tied it at 3 and were pouring the pressure on. I don't know how the Islanders kept it tied through regulation. The game went into OT and I was certain the way the Rangers were outplayiing the Islanders that the Isles would lose. I was at a friends house in Commack amongst a group of Ranger fans (there seemed to be very few Isle fans back then). Well, the OT began, I have knots in my stomach. 11 seconds into OT JP Parise scored and you could here a pin drop at the Garden. Needless to say, I was running around screaming my head off as my Ranger buddies sat in a stunned silence. That was the day the Islanders grew up. Up until then, even Ranger fans kind of liked them, but it was more out of pity. That day changed hockey in NY. I will never forget that day.
That was a little before my time but I never knew the exact details. I only knew in 75 we beat the Rangers. Thanks for the story. I think so many of us have such emotion tied up in this team. I think we cant take the pain so we stay away but I would wager large duckets that if we iced a team that started to compete you would not be able to keep the fans away.

What is sad is we have lost a generation of hockey memories. Wang does not get it. You can not keep sucking the team dry, eventually it could die. He needs to keep replenishing the history, that is how you keep the team viable and get UFA's with out paying extra. That said I feel we are on the right track now. I would be very encouraged if we had a very good off season. I almost think it is a must in light of this past year, we are close and I think this year Wang should start spending money. No matter what happens after 2015 we should go out of the old building with one last hoo rahh, it is only right for it to happen that way is'nt it?

Is Wang such a lame ass that he would let us flounder all the way through 2015 and then slink away from the storied NVMC? Come on Lets steal one more Cup for old times sake, Spend the freaking money I'll pay for that!!!!!! That Arena has One Thing no new arena could ever have and that is the Islanders Ghost of Stanley Cups Past and I'll bet those Ghosts will help us get there once again even if we are not expected to. Look what they did for our team in 1993 against Lemeiux and Jagar and we had no Turgeon.

Drivefor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:03 AM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
Dipietro could come back next year and play decent hockey, but he will likely never be an allstar or even top 10 goalie again. He does still care, but he might never get back to pre 2007 form.

Over the past summer I gave up my season tickets because the ticket prices inflated to much, and the team has not improved at all. Why should anyone have to pay more to see the same crap team? The Isles are barely scraping the cap floor, whereas the rangers are at the cap ceiling. I would have no problem paying more money to see a team that was close to the cap ceiling, and was winning games.

This season should have been Baileys rookie year, maybe sophomore year, they rushed him to the NHL right away. Instead of letting him play in the WJC and play huge minutes on the best team in junior hockey they let him play in the NHL. He was not physically or mentally ready to handle it. At this point it's to late to do anything else with him, you have to let him play.

It will take a couple more years for the team to start becoming a good team, but if they had spent some money on B level free agents we would likely be sitting in a much better situation. It would be good to have some of the pressure of scoring off the kids. It's only going to hurt the development of the kids to have all the pressure of scoring on them. Sure it might not effect Tavares and even Okposo, but I really think it's hurting Baileys development. He really needs veteran support. We have no veteran forwards on this team at all.
If DP can really overcome his injuries and play consistantly, he'll be a very good goalie again. I would not gage his career based on this year. This is a comeback year. If he can stay healthy for the remainder of this year, he's the type player that will work at it in the offseason. He's too good an athlete and too much of a competitor. It all comes down to his health.

According to Forbes the Rangers are worth close to $500 million, the Islanders are worth $150 million. That may have alot to do with the Rangers being near the ceiling and the Islanders being near the bottom.

The Islanders did start the season with a few veterans, they got hurt (Weight, Hunter, Streit, Jurcina, Mattau, Eaton). Bailey will be fine. He's another player that will benefit in the offseason. He's a bright player. Give him another year.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:12 AM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivefor5 View Post
That was a little before my time but I never knew the exact details. I only knew in 75 we beat the Rangers. Thanks for the story. I think so many of us have such emotion tied up in this team. I think we cant take the pain so we stay away but a would wager large duckets that if we iced a team that started to compete you would not be able to keep the fans away.

What is sad is we have lost a generation of hockey memories. Wang does not get it. You can not keep sucking the team dry, eventually it could die. He needs to keep replenishing the history, that is how you keep the team viable and get UFA's with out paying extra. That said I feel we are on the right track now. I would be very encouraged if we had a very good off season. I almost think it is a must in light of this past year, we are close and I think this year Wang should start spending money. No matter what happens after 2015 we should go out of the old building with one last hoo rahh, it is only right for it to happen that way is'nt it? Is Wang such a lame ass that he would let us flounder all the way through 2015 and then slink away from the storied NVMC? Come on Lets steal one more Cup for old times sake, Spend the freaking money I'll pay for that!!!!!!
I really think Wang will spend the money. He did when he first purchased the team. If you recall, they were owned by this guy name Millstein. Millstein bought the Islanders for the real estate around the NVMC. When he realized he couldn't use the real estate he had Millbury trade any good player that contract was up. That's when we lost Pfalffy. Wang took over and went out and spent money on Yashin and Peca. The Islanders were competitive, but they weren't getting out of the first round of the playoffs. They lost to Toronto and Ottawa. About 2 1/2 years ago they decided to go into a different direction and completely tear it down and rebuild it. They're still in that process, so patience is important. I think if Streit and Okposo were healthy the whole year the Islanders would be in the playoff race. Those injuries hurt the powerplay (Streit) and took away alot of goals not to mention important leadership. I'm pretty hopeful.

Old
02-03-2011, 12:15 AM
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky

When Wang first purchased the team, he at least had some money to spend.

KingLio21093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:22 AM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
I really think Wang will spend the money. He did when he first purchased the team. If you recall, they were owned by this guy name Millstein. Millstein bought the Islanders for the real estate around the NVMC. When he realized he couldn't use the real estate he had Millbury trade any good player that contract was up. That's when we lost Pfalffy. Wang took over and went out and spent money on Yashin and Peca. The Islanders were competitive, but they weren't getting out of the first round of the playoffs. They lost to Toronto and Ottawa. About 2 1/2 years ago they decided to go into a different direction and completely tear it down and rebuild it. They're still in that process, so patience is important. I think if Streit and Okposo were healthy the whole year the Islanders would be in the playoff race. Those injuries hurt the powerplay (Streit) and took away alot of goals not to mention important leadership. I'm pretty hopeful.
No Lighthouse = No more money spent

Wang will ride the rest of this lease with minimum expenditures.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:23 AM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Ranger Fan View Post
The "high stick" was a follow through, s**t happens.
Quote:
The high stick was a penalty. That's not even debatable. The rule says you're supposed to be in control of your stick at all times. Instead of a goal it should have been a powerplay.
Rule 60 - High-sticking

60.1 High-sticking - A “high stick” is one which is carried above the height of the opponent’s shoulders. Players and goalkeepers must be in control and responsible for their stick. However, a player is permitted accidental contact on an opponent if the act is committed as a normal windup or follow through of a shooting motion.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:25 AM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Of Bates View Post
I do both, when warranted.

I don't really understand what you mean by "enjoying" it. Do I laugh maniacally? Obviously not. But, this team has many many faults. It's easy to note the positives because there are that many negatives.

Like I said before, I can say DiPietro was the cause for the loss of tonights game (he was), Parenteau is an awful player, and the Islanders will never win while icing 50% of the forwards we currently have. I can say all of this every single day on this board and it still doesn't make me any less of a fan....a fanboy, maybe, but not a fan.
What I mean by enjoying it, is the way one of the bloggers will make a joke at one of the Islanders expense. Then someone tries to top that joke, and then another blogger tried to top that joke and at that point there seems to be no end to other bloggers trying to top one and other and pile it on.
It reminds me of 1st graders laughing at each others farts. It's not funny after a while, but you need to do it for no other reaons then to be "one of the guys".

I won't shy away from being critical of the Islanders, but I won't make it personnel or use exageration for laugh. I'll leave that to the Ranger, Flyer and Penguin fans...and some of our "fans".

Old
02-03-2011, 12:44 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
When Wang first purchased the team, he at least had some money to spend.
Yeah, before he had to give it all back.

I still wonder....Milbury said he had a THIRD guy to add with Yash and Peca. I wonder if it just couldn't happen because of the trade going south or Wang's budget?

Either way, Milstein came in trying to show he cared and then went cheap. Wang came in caring and went cheap.

But Milstein didn't have a cap minimum.....

When we pay for an NHL GM and an NHL coach and NHL first liners and go for value, not bargains and gambles.......Wang earns some respect for caring, whether it be for political reasons or genuine.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:59 AM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Yeah, before he had to give it all back.

I still wonder....Milbury said he had a THIRD guy to add with Yash and Peca. I wonder if it just couldn't happen because of the trade going south or Wang's budget?

Either way, Milstein came in trying to show he cared and then went cheap. Wang came in caring and went cheap.

But Milstein didn't have a cap minimum.....

When we pay for an NHL GM and an NHL coach and NHL first liners and go for value, not bargains and gambles.......Wang earns some respect for caring, whether it be for political reasons or genuine.
You've got it backwards. Millstein was interested in the real estate from day 1. Wang came in, not really understanding the game. He wanted to build a winner. He tried it, trusting Millbury, he spent money and the team made the playoffs, but were ousted immediately. Now we're going with the rebuild mode. We just resigned Moulson (I read some of the comments before the signing, you guys were licking your chops hoping the Islanders wouldn't sign him so you would have more fodder to comment on, sorry to disappoint). We have alot of young players that will mature into very good NHLers and we'll need to resign them. It's also lmportant to wait until the team is close before making a big splash. For now the Islanders need time to develop. Imagine if we had signed Kovalchuk (it was rumored). I live in LA. I've watched the Kings develop the last few years. They haven't signed a big free agent yet. And they have alot more revenue, a brand new building, and a great place to live (you can't beat the weather). That give them and other clubs a big advantage in signing free agents. Does anyone remember Ryan Smythe? Don't try and think we weren't willing to spend money to sign him. The Islanders are still a work in progress. People without real knowledge will say they've been rebuilding since 1994. That's not true!!! They've been rebuilding since 2008.

Old
02-03-2011, 01:02 AM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
Rule 60 - High-sticking

60.1 High-sticking - A “high stick” is one which is carried above the height of the opponent’s shoulders. Players and goalkeepers must be in control and responsible for their stick. However, a player is permitted accidental contact on an opponent if the act is committed as a normal windup or follow through of a shooting motion.
I stand corrected, you're right. I've been following the Islanders for years, and I've seen this penalty called against them. I think there are times a ref will call it.

By the way, my overall point was that the Islanders played pretty well tonight and the criticism wasn't warrented.

Old
02-03-2011, 01:53 AM
ichabod13

Quote:
my overall point was that the Islanders played pretty well tonight and the criticism wasn't warrented.
people around here are going to bash the islanders no matter what. garth gets bashed if the sun comes up in the morning and wang gets bashed if it sets in the evening.

and youre very smart to avoid the game day threads......unless you want to read countless posts about how horrible goring is and *****ing about the game not being available in high definition. it got so bad at one time that i actually put about a half dozen islanders "fans" on my ignored list. i hated to do it, after all we are all in this thing together. right? but good god, enough about butch already!!!

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 02:15 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
You've got it backwards. Millstein was interested in the real estate from day 1. Wang came in, not really understanding the game (Wang turns D'Amato down once, SMG talks to Gutkowski, D'Amato told him about the real estate, now Wang is a hockey fan all of a sudden, or did you miss the ordeal?). He wanted to build a winner(by keeping Milbury). He tried it, trusting Millbury, he spent money and the team made the playoffs, but were ousted immediately. Now we're going with the rebuild mode. We just resigned Moulson (I read some of the comments before the signing, you guys were licking your chops hoping the Islanders wouldn't sign him so you would have more fodder to comment on, sorry to disappoint). We have alot of young players that will mature into very good NHLers and we'll need to resign them. It's also lmportant to wait until the team is close before making a big splash. For now the Islanders need time to develop. Imagine if we had signed Kovalchuk (it was rumored). I live in LA. I've watched the Kings develop the last few years. They haven't signed a big free agent yet(Ryan Smyth, a leader, Halpern, Modin, Willie Mitchell, Ponikorovski, ring some bells?) . And they have alot more revenue, a brand new building, and a great place to live (you can't beat the weather). That give them and other clubs a big advantage in signing free agents. Does anyone remember Ryan Smythe? Don't try and think we weren't willing to spend money to sign him. The Islanders are still a work in progress. People without real knowledge will say they've been rebuilding since 1994. That's not true!!! They've been rebuilding since 2008.
I appreciate your optimism.....you remind me of someone who refuses to visit another mechanic because the one that rips him off all the time is one he's gone to for 18 years.

Old
02-03-2011, 06:12 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

There are a few that here that really relish the Isles misfortunes.

Some of us, and I think I'm in that crowd, just think its a farce at this point. If we were to meet in person, there would be quite a bit of nervous laughter between us. There isn't a way to properly express nervous laughter on the internets, so, I think it comes off self-depricating humor. (Well, Isles-self-depricating-eventhough-we here on the board-aren't-really-the-Isles-humor.)

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 08:15 AM
Otto91

Quote:
I've been reading alot of the responses on this board and there seem to be a large number of "Islander fans" that take enjoyment out of the Islanders misfortunes. I get the sense that if the Islanders were a successful team, they'd be disappointed and wouldn't know how to react. I would like to use this thread to recognize the positives of our team.

DP's run in with Cooke was a positive. DiPietro obviously cares a great deal about this team, and it was a sign of his passion that led to that incident. The fact that Brent Johnson beat him in that fight, only raises my anger at the Penguins. The supposed Islander fans on this board PREFER to use that issue as an excuse to denegrade the Islanders, instead of standing by their team. Then like the mindless group of cattle they are, they try and top each other with their insults. You guys should go off to a room somewhere and jerk each other off. In my opinon, you have no right to ever question an Islanders heart. Where's your heart? Where's your sense of loyalty? The Islanders actually played a pretty good game tonight. The Penquins scored on a powerplay they shouldn't have had and a high stick to Martinek's face that should have been a penalty. The empty net was a result of that. Through most of the 3rd period the Penguins were busy chasing the Islanders around. To read some of the posts, you'd think the Islanders got blown out of the arena!!!

Did the high stick on Martinek bother anybody? How about the Comeau hit not being called? There was a check early on DP, no call!! That pissed me off, I guess I was the only one based on what I've been reading. I was frustrated too, and I understand why DP did what he did!!!

The DP fight was Comic relief....flat out of a sad but once proud organization. The Fact That Kevin Poulin at 20yrs old is a Better Goalie then DP ever was going to be hurt or not hurt is a 60 plus Mill Kick in the face fans will live with for another 10 or 11 years.

The Fact That Wang would rather spend millions in China building hockey rinks for kids instead of spending money on real NHL players to make a better team and put Butts in Seats makes one shake your head. Housing a team that is half full of AHL Players is not something to be very Proud of.

Being owned by A Chinese Control Freak....who calls all the shots is the real reason why no self respecting player wants to come here.....Sorry but I do see this being a big problem...Wang at the Draft Table calling the shots is just wrong ...and since he really knows nothing of Hockey is even worse.

Love the Isles always will, things will get better in time....after how many years of top 10 draft picks...Fans have the right to express their feelings....and if The Islanders were a good team it would be hard to get tickets to games instead of Wang giving tickets away for $20.11....Maybe next year as we all say every year.

Otto91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 08:29 AM
BaileyToOkposo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Ranger Fan View Post
The "high stick" was a follow through, s**t happens. The hit on Comeau was a different story. You can't expect every Islander fan to have the same exact opinion as everyone views things differently. So take it down a notch...
About 60% of high stick calls are a follow through

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
I've been an Islander fan since 1972- 1973. I used to see then practice at Royal Ice Rink in Kings Park before it became Royal Ice Rink ( I don't know what it's called now or if it even exists anymore).

This team is still rebuiding. Clearly they have several players that are fill ins until we add more depth, they also have alot of young players that are still figuring it out. The physical tools aren't there yet, either because the skills are lacking or they haven't developed yet. But by and large I think they play hard every night. Most of the time the result isn't positive, sometimes it is. If you listen to out of town announcers, they often state that the Islanders are a team that works hard every night.
Well, if you've been a fan for that long and have seen the Dynasty years and the crap since 1993, then I truly applaud your positive outlook. As for me, the Dynasty years are some of the oldest memories of my life and the 1992-93 and 2001-2002 were fantastic as well. Everything else has been *****. While I would never abandon them, I also can't help but speak out against management antics (pick an owner, any owner) and voice my desire for certain players to be jettisoned out of here.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
To put it simply, this team ***** on us so we return the favor. Once the team's attitude towards is dwindling die-hard fan base improves, you'll probably see a different reaction from the fans.

Not sure how long you've been a fan, but most of us here have just been brow-beaten by the ineptitude of the team for the last 18 years and can hardly stand it anymore.
THIS.

What are we supposed to do? Stand by with pom poms and pretend everything is great? If you want to try and look for positives out of a 3-0 loss, yet another losing season and the whole owner/arena/backup-goalie-GM situation, that's fine. Be my guest. But you have no right to get on people for not having the same outlook.

You want to look for positives on the ice? Once again, fine. There aren't many. And even if they were, guess what? None of it means a thing until the ownership/arena situation are resolved. Because as it stands right now, the Islanders will no longer be here in 4 years. Sorry I can't take a positive out of that. Guess that means I should go jerk off some dudes.

I won't speak for the petty crap that goes on between posters here. Is it childish? Yup. But hey let them bash each other all they want.

As for the fans not caring and/or taking pleasure in the teams demise. Some of us don't care, some of us take pleasure and some of us are on both ends of that fence. I will speak for myself and just say I don't care. Why should I care? I've cared my entire life and not once did they return the favor. Which in itself is fine. But now it's at the point where the organization is treating the fans as if they are replacable. Sorry I won't stand for that. And I will admit, every time something goes wrong now (the Botta situation, Nabokov refusing to report), I laugh. I do. I laugh because it's funny. It's funny what a joke this once proud franchise has become. Doesn't mean I enjoy it. I wish we were a functioning organization like most of the rest of the league. The fact is, the franchise is a joke. Not just the joke of the NHL, but the joke of the sports world. Give me one organization in the four major sports that loses more AND has worse ownership.

So yes, I laugh... hard. Watching the team, listening to anything the owner/GM says, listening to the stupidity (Goring) on the TV broadcasts (I stopped watching in December) is like watching Dumb & Dumber. Park me on a couch and hand me the popcorn because this is some funny ****.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:17 AM
OpAck

This is an organization that has had 9 majority/minority owners running the franchise since John Pickett turned control over to the Gang of 4. Out of those 9 owners, 5 have had significant legal issues with at least two who remain in prison today (Spano, Kumar, and I recall 3 of the 4 minority owners have had significant legal troubles). Since Arbour, there have been 13 coaching changes...and only one of them ended up making it a few games into his third season. We've had only a few GM changes...one of which saw our backup goalie replace a GM who was around for a mere 40 days but couldn't agree with the 10-man committee idea that the owner installed. Our star netminder signs a career-long deal, and in the following seasons...he suffers multiple concussions, a significant hip injury that required surgery, a significant knee injury that has required multiple surgeries, and I recall there being more minor issues with the other knee and or hip as well. We've seen our 24 year old 50-goal franchise star get traded away for a slightly older 30-goal scorer that wants nothing to do with the team. Another franchise "star" signs one of the biggest contracts (at that time) in sports and becomes one of the most inconsistent players to ever wear blue and orange. Speaking of, blue and orange, we had one set of owners decide that the Gorton's fisherman made for an interesting logo. We've heard of numerous issues/fights between players in the locker room thru these years. Our home arena is just about the most inadequate facility in all of sports...and the talk about rebuilding/renovating the facility is on it's what...16th year? Yet, the cost of watching our 29th place team continues to climb. And among all of this...our team has not once advanced beyond the first round of the playoffs since 1993. Oh, and there have 17 seasons since the Isles miraculous run in 1993. They've made the playoffs 4 times...they've had losing records (.500 and below) during 13 of those seasons. And during that time, they've only had one player crack 40 goals twice, and that same player is the only one to hit 90 points...only once (beyond that, not one player has produced more than 75 points in any season). We had been locked into one of the most chokingly bad leases in sports. Did I mention that the organization cut ties with a well-respected color commentator because his analysis wasn't positive enough? And they've revoked another journalist's media credentials...which many in the sports world riled against the organization and the GM for making such a ridiculous move.

Let's drop the talk about who's a "real" fan and who's only a "supposed" fan. After all of the years of B.S. this team has put us thru...the only fans remaining are about as real as you can get...whether they openly mock the team for it's embarrassing/ridiculous behavior or not.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Bones45

This thread is ****ing retarded. Dont tell me about my loyalty.

If you can't laugh about DP getting pummeled....

wait..no..

if you can't laugh and make fun of JUST ABOUT EVERY ASPECT OF THIS TEAM, it has nothing to do with your loyalty and everything to do with the fact that you can't stop watching this team slowly kill itself.

Think of almost every headline this team has had over the past 5 years. THEY HAVE ALL BEEN NIGHTMARES.

If you stay positive all the time, and are truely a fan, then you should be in therapy.

The reality is that you can't make this stuff up. This team and mgmt should be thrown out of the league.

1/3 of the roster can go to other teams, the other 2/3 can work at a deli.

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:41 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
This thread is ****ing retarded. Dont tell me about my loyalty.

If you can't laugh about DP getting pummeled....

wait..no..

if you can't laugh and make fun of JUST ABOUT EVERY ASPECT OF THIS TEAM, it has nothing to do with your loyalty and everything to do with the fact that you can't stop watching this team slowly kill itself.

Think of almost every headline this team has had over the past 5 years. THEY HAVE ALL BEEN NIGHTMARES.

If you stay positive all the time, and are truely a fan, then you should be in therapy.

The reality is that you can't make this stuff up. This team and mgmt should be thrown out of the league.

1/3 of the roster can go to other teams, the other 2/3 can work at a deli.

Old
02-03-2011, 11:55 AM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
people around here are going to bash the islanders no matter what. garth gets bashed if the sun comes up in the morning and wang gets bashed if it sets in the evening.
Isn't that the truth......Wang gets negativity for being less-than-knowledgeble about hockey/being weird/not spending and Snow gets it for how he got the job and the belief that he's an extention of Wang.

Last year they tried to sign Hamhuis & Martin and who knows who else. FAs may not come here now, hence the plan to build the core that only needs (and can draw) a few complimentary FAs, but I think if this team doesn't get overwhelmingly ********d by injuries next year they'll look a little more like that sort of team - they'll be very much in the fight.

As far as the rest of the league.....they don't wear the right colors and their fans quickly forget that many of those teams went through similar spells. As fashionable as they think it is to hate on & heckle the NYI TODAY, with a little help in the offseason (I'd settle for Cole & even Gagne), that perception will start to change (not soon enough for me), hopefully within 2 seasons.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:00 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmine Springs View Post
Isn't that the truth......Wang gets negativity for being less-than-knowledgeble about hockey/being weird/not spending and Snow gets it for how he got the job and the belief that he's an extention of Wang.

Last year they tried to sign Hamhuis & Martin and who knows who else. FAs may not come here now, hence the plan to build the core that only needs (and can draw) a few complimentary FAs, but I think if this team doesn't get overwhelmingly ********d by injuries next year they'll look a little more like that sort of team - they'll be very much in the fight.

As far as the rest of the league.....they don't wear the right colors and their fans quickly forget that many of those teams went through similar spells. As fashionable as they think it is to hate on & heckle the NYI TODAY, with a little help in the offseason (I'd settle for Cole & even Gagne), that perception will start to change (not soon enough for me), hopefully within 2 seasons.
Free agents don't want anything to do with the team.

What have we fixed about that?

Nothing. We blame the building and keep our minor league coach, our joke of a hire GM, our meddling owner doesn't back off and we have that same idiot bring "E" from Entourage to make a pick.

We don't fix the joke.

WE EMBRACE IT.

Until then, said perception will remain. We will be the least desired destination. The MOST desired destination is Detroit. Look at how they operate.

Nothing but the best in all areas.

And they play in a cr**py building just like us.

Old
02-03-2011, 12:15 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
I've been reading alot of the responses on this board and there seem to be a large number of "Islander fans" that take enjoyment out of the Islanders misfortunes. I get the sense that if the Islanders were a successful team, they'd be disappointed and wouldn't know how to react. I would like to use this thread to recognize the positives of our team.

DP's run in with Cooke was a positive. DiPietro obviously cares a great deal about this team, and it was a sign of his passion that led to that incident. The fact that Brent Johnson beat him in that fight, only raises my anger at the Penguins. The supposed Islander fans on this board PREFER to use that issue as an excuse to denegrade the Islanders, instead of standing by their team. Then like the mindless group of cattle they are, they try and top each other with their insults. You guys should go off to a room somewhere and jerk each other off. In my opinon, you have no right to ever question an Islanders heart. Where's your heart? Where's your sense of loyalty? The Islanders actually played a pretty good game tonight. The Penquins scored on a powerplay they shouldn't have had and a high stick to Martinek's face that should have been a penalty. The empty net was a result of that. Through most of the 3rd period the Penguins were busy chasing the Islanders around. To read some of the posts, you'd think the Islanders got blown out of the arena!!!

Did the high stick on Martinek bother anybody? How about the Comeau hit not being called? There was a check early on DP, no call!! That pissed me off, I guess I was the only one based on what I've been reading. I was frustrated too, and I understand why DP did what he did!!!
Follow through on a shot is never called a high stick. A pass or clearing attempt would be, but shots and goals are not unless its a blatant high stick. Radek was leaning & kunitz had to put a lot on the backhand from the distance.
The hit on comeau was iffy. It looked like he got him from the side on some replays. I think 2 mins tops. Esp since blake was out there killing the penalty (which was a horrid call)

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:05 PM
OpAck

Some of you real fans must be pretty upset with the league since they've splashed the DiPietro knockout on NHL.com...and posted it on Facebook posing the question..."Whom do you think wins this one?" You want to get upset about the negativity and mocking of DiPi and the Isles...go read one of those 750 comments.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:18 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Some of you real fans must be pretty upset with the league since they've splashed the DiPietro knockout on NHL.com...and posted it on Facebook posing the question..."Whom do you think wins this one?" You want to get upset about the negativity and mocking of DiPi and the Isles...go read one of those 750 comments.
The video was the epitome of how this organization has been regarded by all. Our fans think it's great, others a joke. "We're gonna be great, just you see....we suck."

When we accept this truth, we can change. Wang won't see it, nevermind accept it, so load up the next gag reel.