HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Real Islander Fans!!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-03-2011, 08:49 PM
  #76
PhysicalGraffiti
Tampa Island
 
PhysicalGraffiti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post
You forgot to mention the time someone flippantly said for DP to kill himself when he missed games due to the flu. That was classy!!!
Damn that's messed up.

I have a few guesses to who said it, but I'm guessing the post is probably deleted by now.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 08:50 PM
  #77
TheBoss22
Registered User
 
TheBoss22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
Damn that's messed up.

I have a few guesses to who said it, but I'm guessing the post is probably deleted by now.
Yeah, its gone as I flagged it!

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 08:56 PM
  #78
mygameworn
Registered User
 
mygameworn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 1,933
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
Anton is light years away from being a full time NHL d-man. The only reason why he was called up last season is they were real short on d men and he was one of the only guys on a two-way last year. He's still a healthy scratch in the A.

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 08:59 PM
  #79
Groin Of Bates
Registered User
 
Groin Of Bates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
After barely playing for 2 whole seasons, turning the reigns full time over to Poulin for the rest of the year is your logical solution?

Gotta give the guy some playing time, and it's always going to be, oh we're throwing away the season for DP. Not that I agree with that, but it will give the critics of the team one less thing to ***** about by letting him get more playing time this season since the season is in the tank anyways.

And no, he did not cost us a point. It wouldn't be 0-0 with Poulin in net. The Pens are much better than the Thrashers, and can easily score against Poulin. DP had one bad goal. Poulin lets in one, we still lose. We could have had Brodeur out there and would have lost because we didn't do anything on offense, and our defense still sucks.

Roloson and Poulin have had more time with Jurcina, Martinek, Mottau, Eaton, and the Wiz in front of them than DP. Those guys, whether all or some, are a huge upgrade compared to what DP usually has.
First off, where did I say that we should "turn over the reins" to Poulin? I said that he should have played last night because of his recent performance against them, as well as being a better option at this point. When it's blatantly obvious that Poulin, not DiPietro, is considered our new goaltender of the future (at this point in the season) then both should play accordingly. I didn't say "never start DiPietro." I just didn't think he should have started this game and I was proven right.

As far as the game itself, DiPietro had 2 bad goals. It has been discussed heavily in the GDT, so you can reflect there because I'm not going to get too much into it. The Penguins played as flat as the Trashers played last night, especially with 3 of their 4 centers out of the game. The Penguins were easily beatable, but gained incredible momentum when our goaltender let in 2 bad goals.

Are you sure it wouldn't have been 0-0? Because the last time he only let up 1, real late in the game due to poor defensive coverage. As I said before, I'm not saying we still wouldn't have lost the game, but it's obvious the team plays better in front of Poulin and before him, Roloson. I don't think Poulin let's in the 2 goals that DiPietro did last night, so, considering no other goals were scored (EN aside) I think it's 0-0 going into OT. Maybe the team is sparked with him in net, because it's so obvious that they play 10x tighter with DiPietro in.

You claim it's about the defense? The same defense that played in Atlanta played in front of Rick last night. In fact, the same defense played in front of Rick for his last 4 losses. That's a weak argument.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:07 PM
  #80
TheBoss22
Registered User
 
TheBoss22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,765
vCash: 500
I haven't read the majority of the posts in this thread but you can't compare a win against ATL vs a loss against PITT because of the 2 opponents involved as well as PITT being the 2nd game in 2 days.

It's a fact that on this board if DP lets in a goal it was a soft/bad goal. If a post was wrung while DP was in net, DP was lucky and really it should be counted as another goals against. If DP plays the puck and turns it over he's a selfish idiot.

Any other NYI goalie would not get scrutinized the way he does (may be Lawson because he was forced to be Rollie's successor).


Last edited by TheBoss22: 02-03-2011 at 09:12 PM.
TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:19 PM
  #81
WangMustGo
NYI
 
WangMustGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 4,197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post
I haven't read the majority of the posts in this thread but you can't compare a win against ATL vs a loss against PITT because of the 2 opponents involved as well as PITT being the 2nd game in 2 days.

It's a fact that on this board if DP lets in a goal it was a soft/bad goal. If a post was wrung while DP was in net, DP was lucky and really it should be counted as another goals against. If DP plays the puck and turns it over he's a selfish idiot.

Any other NYI goalie would not get scrutinized the way he does (may be Lawson because he was forced to be Rollie's successor).
Well no other NHL goalie gives up these weak goals every single game. DP also makes boneheaded passes while he is out of the net.

DP has always relied to much on his athleticism and not enough on his positioning. With his reduced athletic ability because of these surgery's I feel he will need to use his positioning more or he might never get back to the form he was in pre injury.

WangMustGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:29 PM
  #82
Hip Of Rick
Registered User
 
Hip Of Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post
I haven't read the majority of the posts in this thread but you can't compare a win against ATL vs a loss against PITT because of the 2 opponents involved as well as PITT being the 2nd game in 2 days.

It's a fact that on this board if DP lets in a goal it was a soft/bad goal. If a post was wrung while DP was in net, DP was lucky and really it should be counted as another goals against. If DP plays the puck and turns it over he's a selfish idiot.

Any other NYI goalie would not get scrutinized the way he does (may be Lawson because he was forced to be Rollie's successor).
DP let in 2 awful goals last night and flat out sucked. He was shaky on every single shot. Obviously you can't win if you do not score but weak goals deflate teams and DP is an expert on that

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:34 PM
  #83
TheBoss22
Registered User
 
TheBoss22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
Well no other NHL goalie gives up these weak goals every single game. DP also makes boneheaded passes while he is out of the net.

DP has always relied to much on his athleticism and not enough on his positioning. With his reduced athletic ability because of these surgery's I feel he will need to use his positioning more or he might never get back to the form he was in pre injury.
When you have guys like Reese and Gervais coming back to get the puck, I would take it out off their stick as well.

Fact of the matter is every goalie turns over the puck when they go back to play it. When DP does it he's a bonehead (thanks for correcting me). If Rollie does it, we gloss it over.

Yes, DP has given up weak goals. One last night (not two), the game in Philly and some others.

Like LAIslanderFan said he's been gone for 2 years.

If we take away his first few games (as well as the own goals from Bailey and Reese)
his GAA and Save% would be much better.

Did anyone give DP props for any saves he made yesterday during the GDT?

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:47 PM
  #84
Groin Of Bates
Registered User
 
Groin Of Bates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post
I haven't read the majority of the posts in this thread but you can't compare a win against ATL vs a loss against PITT because of the 2 opponents involved as well as PITT being the 2nd game in 2 days.

It's a fact that on this board if DP lets in a goal it was a soft/bad goal. If a post was wrung while DP was in net, DP was lucky and really it should be counted as another goals against. If DP plays the puck and turns it over he's a selfish idiot.

Any other NYI goalie would not get scrutinized the way he does (may be Lawson because he was forced to be Rollie's successor).
You're right, you can't compare a win. But, you can compare the way your team plays and in Atlanta they played much better. I'm attributing it to them having more confidence in front of goaltenders not named DiPietro. Again, I could be wrong, but I've definitely seen a style-switch.

If DiPietro didn't let in soft/bad goals, then maybe we wouldn't say he let in soft/bad goals. In fact, yesterday a few were blaming Parenteau on that giveaway where Talbot hit the post. That goal would not have been DiPietro's fault. But, again, the two goals he did let up were:

#1) Soft

#2) Weak

If he plays the puck and turns it over, it's because he's trying to do too much. Yes, it's selfish. There are times where he skates to the top of the circles to get the puck. There are times where he clogs behind the net trying to make a play that his defenseman is more than capable of making. That is not necessary for the amount of times that he does it.

As the previous poster mentioned, DiPietro has always been a goalie who relied on his athleticism moreso than his positioning. Due to his recent injuries, this focus should now be flipped. It is obvious that he cannot move as agile from post to post, nor vertically, as he used to. He should take notes from a goaltender like Roloson, who relies heavily on positioning because he isn't as athletic.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:48 PM
  #85
Groin Of Bates
Registered User
 
Groin Of Bates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post

Did anyone give DP props for any saves he made yesterday during the GDT?
Yes, for at least 2 of them from what I had seen (and given props to him for)

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:32 PM
  #86
Top Corner
Registered User
 
Top Corner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mtl
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
Just curious? How long should a rebuild take? The Islanders are 2 1/2 years into their rebuild.
I have never seen such a group of whiney babies before.

The Islanders were in the playoff hunt most of last season. If Mark Streit and Kyle Okposo had been healthy this year, and we didn't have the injuries on defense, we would have been a better team this year. Okposo and Tavaras would have been a year older, Hamonic has been a terrific surprise, Grabner is a great addition. Does anyone doubt how much better we would have been? Does anyone out there understand this game? Streit not only brings goals with his game. He's a defensemen that can carry the puck out of his own end and he makes our powerplay so much better. How about Okposo? You don't think his leadership and hockey smarts wasn't missed for most of the year? This is a team that has good young talent! Unfortunetely, when you're in a rebuild (this is for the novices out there) it's hard to convince veterans to come here. They usually don't want to wait around (see Paul Martin).

By the way, if we're a laughing stock, what does that make the Oilers and the Devils?
How about the Maple Leafs? They've been drafting before us the last few years.
I started a Poll thread some 3 years back regarding the length of the time it would take for the rebuild just to make the playoffs and it was so surprsing that many had no more than years.I had felt this would be over 3 years and right now I'm thinking close to 5 if then. The owner and GM need to either participate in trying to make this team better fast or just sell and move on. Rebuilding doesn't just happen through the draft, it requires the ability to find players via trade or FA and we've pretty much failed. I'm also at a loss to understand how you bring young kids in and have them taught by coaches with no experience, is that just foolish??

Before you know it Tavares will be a FA and the rebuild continues

Top Corner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:46 PM
  #87
Boik14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
2012-2013 Islanders:

- Moulson, Tavaras, Nino
- Grabner, Nilson, Okposo
- Petrov, Bailey, Cizakas
- Comeau, Brock Nelson, Martin

- Streit, Hamonic
- DeHanhn, Amac
- Jurcina, Klementyov

- Poulin, DP

Plus a top 5 pick from this year, maybe Anders Lee, Aaron Ness, Kabonov, and throw in a free agent signing and I'm feeling pretty good.
And you dont think its kind of dangerous and silly to think that every single prospect worth their salt that we have drafted over the last few year will pan out? You said you have been watching hockey since 72-73 and I respect you for staying with this team for so long but dude, that means you sat through the Dean Chynowth (butchered, i know) types that we picked. It just doesnt work that way in pro sports. Your assumption that even our low end prospects will be NHL'ers is not only dangerous and presumptuous but not realistic. It never happens that way.

Boik14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:16 PM
  #88
1 Timer
Registered User
 
1 Timer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Howell, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
2012-2013 Islanders:

- Moulson, Tavaras, Nino
- Grabner, Nilson, Okposo
- Petrov, Bailey, Cizakas
- Comeau, Brock Nelson, Martin

- Streit, Hamonic
- DeHanhn, Amac
- Jurcina, Klementyov
- Poulin, DP

Plus a top 5 pick from this year, maybe Anders Lee, Aaron Ness, Kabonov, and throw in a free agent signing and I'm feeling pretty good.
I hope all these guys in red play in the AHL till the are ready, if Comeau is part of our team as a full time player that means Garth has failed. This roster needs 3-4 28-33 yr old vets to help our younger guys become men.

1 Timer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:18 PM
  #89
Kane One
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 28,822
vCash: 1000
One day the rivalry will get revived.

__________________
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:59 PM
  #90
LAIslanderFan
Registered User
 
LAIslanderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boik14 View Post
And you dont think its kind of dangerous and silly to think that every single prospect worth their salt that we have drafted over the last few year will pan out? You said you have been watching hockey since 72-73 and I respect you for staying with this team for so long but dude, that means you sat through the Dean Chynowth (butchered, i know) types that we picked. It just doesnt work that way in pro sports. Your assumption that even our low end prospects will be NHL'ers is not only dangerous and presumptuous but not realistic. It never happens that way.
The roster I projected is two years away, not next year. I've added 6 prospects. I feel pretty good with Nino and DeHahn. The law of averages says at least one more should make it. That leaves 3 openings. This is where a free agent or two come in, and maybe a trade or our top 5 pick this year. I don't think my reasoning is that far fetched.

By the way, I'm a Jet fan too, so I've had plenty of practice staying with struggling teams (although they've been pretty good the last 2 years).

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 12:10 AM
  #91
LAIslanderFan
Registered User
 
LAIslanderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Timer View Post
I hope all these guys in red play in the AHL till the are ready, if Comeau is part of our team as a full time player that means Garth has failed. This roster needs 3-4 28-33 yr old vets to help our younger guys become men.
Well, I've defended DP, I've defended Bailey, I've defended Snow and Wang. It looks like I have to stand up for Comeau as well. I'll admit, Comeau will never be a legitimate 20 minute a game 1st, or 2nd line player, but on the 3rd line or at the very least the 4th line, he would be just fine. For all of the criticism of him, he did score 17 goals last year in 61 games, and he has 13 goals this year. He has a big body and he doesn't seem to shy away from the corners either. He's all of 24 years old. I could really see him as a solid 4th liner. It's not that unreasonable to think he couldn't score 15 - 20 goals a year under the right circumstances. I'm pretty sure if the Islanders released Comeau, there would be several teams interested in picking him up. I think he belongs.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 12:31 AM
  #92
Groin Of Bates
Registered User
 
Groin Of Bates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
It's not that unreasonable to think he couldn't score 15 - 20 goals a year under the right circumstances. I'm pretty sure if the Islanders released Comeau, there would be several teams interested in picking him up. I think he belongs.
But, unfortunately, this is the major issue with this organization. We have prospects who we've seen flashes of being the type of player they can be, under the right circumstances. The New York Islanders, up to this point at least, have shown us that they are incapable of providing the "right circumstances" for our players and prospective players.

I hope they can turn this around...and quickly.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 12:44 AM
  #93
LAIslanderFan
Registered User
 
LAIslanderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,771
vCash: 500
For all you haters that blame Snow for not signing any free agents, or Wang for not spending money to bring them here. Please check out Chris Botta's interview with Allan Hahn on Pointblank. Mr. Hahn has the answer for you.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:24 AM
  #94
Boik14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
The roster I projected is two years away, not next year. I've added 6 prospects. I feel pretty good with Nino and DeHahn. The law of averages says at least one more should make it. That leaves 3 openings. This is where a free agent or two come in, and maybe a trade or our top 5 pick this year. I don't think my reasoning is that far fetched.

By the way, I'm a Jet fan too, so I've had plenty of practice staying with struggling teams (although they've been pretty good the last 2 years).
I realize the roster you have projected is two years away. But you act like all 6 prospects are sure things. This team does nothing to subsidize its prospect pool with any kind of meaningful free agents aside from Mark Streit a few years ago, meaning that if one or two of those prospects goes bust which is in fact more then likely to happen given that the majority of prospects really dont make it, that means the team is that much further behind the eight-ball then they already are. Thats not hating or talking down about the franchise, thats the cold hard truth of pro sports. I like our prospect pool as much as anyone but to me, in my 25 years following the 4 major US professional and college sports, what you are projecting would be a rather new occurrence. That said, I hope you are right dude. I cant take this losing anymore. It definitely wears on me as a fan.

Boik14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 03:38 AM
  #95
Bert Marshall days
Registered User
 
Bert Marshall days's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
This is an organization that has had 9 majority/minority owners running the franchise since John Pickett turned control over to the Gang of 4. Out of those 9 owners, 5 have had significant legal issues with at least two who remain in prison today (Spano, Kumar, and I recall 3 of the 4 minority owners have had significant legal troubles). Since Arbour, there have been 13 coaching changes...and only one of them ended up making it a few games into his third season. We've had only a few GM changes...one of which saw our backup goalie replace a GM who was around for a mere 40 days but couldn't agree with the 10-man committee idea that the owner installed. Our star netminder signs a career-long deal, and in the following seasons...he suffers multiple concussions, a significant hip injury that required surgery, a significant knee injury that has required multiple surgeries, and I recall there being more minor issues with the other knee and or hip as well. We've seen our 24 year old 50-goal franchise star get traded away for a slightly older 30-goal scorer that wants nothing to do with the team. Another franchise "star" signs one of the biggest contracts (at that time) in sports and becomes one of the most inconsistent players to ever wear blue and orange. Speaking of, blue and orange, we had one set of owners decide that the Gorton's fisherman made for an interesting logo. We've heard of numerous issues/fights between players in the locker room thru these years. Our home arena is just about the most inadequate facility in all of sports...and the talk about rebuilding/renovating the facility is on it's what...16th year? Yet, the cost of watching our 29th place team continues to climb. And among all of this...our team has not once advanced beyond the first round of the playoffs since 1993. Oh, and there have 17 seasons since the Isles miraculous run in 1993. They've made the playoffs 4 times...they've had losing records (.500 and below) during 13 of those seasons. And during that time, they've only had one player crack 40 goals twice, and that same player is the only one to hit 90 points...only once (beyond that, not one player has produced more than 75 points in any season). We had been locked into one of the most chokingly bad leases in sports. Did I mention that the organization cut ties with a well-respected color commentator because his analysis wasn't positive enough? And they've revoked another journalist's media credentials...which many in the sports world riled against the organization and the GM for making such a ridiculous move.
You forgot their games are on a college radio station that can't be heard 15 miles from the arena.....with college kids. And their TV announcer doesn't even care about them. Other than that nice summary.


Crappy arena, fans don't know where NYI will be in 4 years and are boycotting wacky owner, local politicians are corrupt and useless and team sucks for 20 years with no mass transit, no media coverage while not marketing themselves.

That about sums it up.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 04:09 AM
  #96
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
For all you haters that blame Snow for not signing any free agents, or Wang for not spending money to bring them here. Please check out Chris Botta's interview with Allan Hahn on Pointblank. Mr. Hahn has the answer for you.
Yeah, a new arena means Wang will sell 5,000 seats when he used to sell 7,000 seats (new arenas mean higher ticket prices) and the new player he gets (no help for) will be his new best friend and signed to a 20 year deal and DP will be great again and so on and so forth.

Rinse.

Repeat.

The arena is not the reason. The Joe Louis arena is old and has worse sitelines but SELLS OUT in DETROIT (one of the WORST economic areas in US history).

Why?

Because the team is run well, thus players flock there and coaching is a priority (only the best) and scouting is top notch, all staff is top notch with some loyalty positional hires.....so they get UFA's and WINS.

So how well are the Isles run in NVMC? How different will it be because the arena is new? Will Eric Cairns be a top scout in the NHL? Will Capuano suddenly be a Jack Adams winner? Will Wang get a bigger HBO star to announce a draft pick? Will the modernized venue make Rick's lateral movement quicker?


Microsoft was run in a garage. Enron was run in a top notch office space.

Yeah, it's the building. No one considers the loopy owner, just the dismal food choices and lack of bathrooms in the venue. Right........

Perhaps they're wondering if moving to LI is a short term move and they might have to relocate because Wang and Murray are/were in a battle over "yes or No" and the owner is not reassuring anyone of where this team will be in five years? (and whether it will be coached by Weight, Rick or "E" from Entourage?)

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:07 AM
  #97
Bert Marshall days
Registered User
 
Bert Marshall days's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,820
vCash: 500
5K or 7K or 10k means LI is not a viable market. Detroit has multiple revenue streams, corporate support, mass transit, media coverage, radio coverage, doesn't share the market with 2 other NHL teams, markets themselves, works with it's sports teams, big fan base from original 6, not as corrupt politicians, has a history of Democrat leadership - Nassau, LI has none of that.

Did you know the last Republican legislator in Detroit is in jail for corruption?

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 07:16 AM
  #98
MikeyMike01*
Hurray
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,432
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
Dipietro is the greatest goalie in the history of the entire universe, and all shall praise his greatness.
There's two groups of people. People that are pro-DP, and people that have eyes.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:58 PM
  #99
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!
 
Twine Seeking Missle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Suck-town
Country: United States
Posts: 7,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
There's two groups of people. People that are pro-DP, and people that have eyes.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 06:05 PM
  #100
LAIslanderFan
Registered User
 
LAIslanderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Yeah, a new arena means Wang will sell 5,000 seats when he used to sell 7,000 seats (new arenas mean higher ticket prices) and the new player he gets (no help for) will be his new best friend and signed to a 20 year deal and DP will be great again and so on and so forth.

Rinse.

Repeat.

The arena is not the reason. The Joe Louis arena is old and has worse sitelines but SELLS OUT in DETROIT (one of the WORST economic areas in US history).

Why?

Because the team is run well, thus players flock there and coaching is a priority (only the best) and scouting is top notch, all staff is top notch with some loyalty positional hires.....so they get UFA's and WINS.

So how well are the Isles run in NVMC? How different will it be because the arena is new? Will Eric Cairns be a top scout in the NHL? Will Capuano suddenly be a Jack Adams winner? Will Wang get a bigger HBO star to announce a draft pick? Will the modernized venue make Rick's lateral movement quicker?


Microsoft was run in a garage. Enron was run in a top notch office space.

Yeah, it's the building. No one considers the loopy owner, just the dismal food choices and lack of bathrooms in the venue. Right........

Perhaps they're wondering if moving to LI is a short term move and they might have to relocate because Wang and Murray are/were in a battle over "yes or No" and the owner is not reassuring anyone of where this team will be in five years? (and whether it will be coached by Weight, Rick or "E" from Entourage?)
First of all the Joe is newer then the NVMC. Secondly the Red Wings are the only NHL team in the area. Third, Detroit fans are better fans then Islander fans. Michigan is practically in Canada. Having said that, the arena is one of many reasons, but it is an issue. The other main issue and they work in tandem, is that the Islanders are in a rebuild. Top level free agents want to play for a contender. They don't want to be part of a youth movement that might take a few years. This is all so obvious, I don't know why people think it has to do with Wang spending money. He's spent money in the past (Yashin, Peca, DP's contract). There was a rumor that Wang was after Kovalchuk in the off season. There was also well documented talks between Snow and Paul Martin. Martin specifically asked about the building.

I don't even get the comparison to Enron and Microsoft. A Sports franchise is a different animal then a tech company, just ask Paul Allen how many championships the Trailbllazers have won!!!

The bottom line is that the Islanders need a year or two before they will attract free agents.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.